New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ettin in the Playground

Default [BitP:R] Mortal World 3

Michiko

Michiko turns her eyes across the three as they arrive, even casting a glance back at Nakahiro, though she doesn't call attention to his presence.

I can't really blame him for wanting to see what's going on first, I'd have done the same if I got a love letter. Michiko thinks to herself, though that's not quite true considering she got a fair number of such letters and simply never opened them. They were such...frivolous things after all, and there was no time for such silliness with her busy schedule! So when only three of them show up, it's a bit disappointing considering the wealth of talent she had observed in the gym itself.

Nevertheless, she raises a hand to stop Ken before he could grab hers, mute for the moment though Ken briefly catches sight of a shadowy figure with glinting eyes glaring at him. Then he blinks and it's gone.

Instead she stares at Kaito as he throws down the letter and demands to know what's going on, masking her shock, and then outrage, at his arrogance behind a veneer of implacable mysteriousness that had gotten her so many fans in her own grade. Instead of responding, she raises her left arm to look at her own watch, counting down the time herself as her lips set in a firm line. Once a minute has passed, she turns hard blue eyes unto the younger student and raises an eyebrow but still doesn't speak as the time ticks by, just staring at Kaito with unblinking eyes.

"...That's one minute and then some, Watanabe-kohai." she says softly, still staring steadily at him.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: [BitP:R] Mortal World 3

Kaito had simply stared back, not terribly impressed with Michiko's reputation. Maybe it was the slight exhaustion from doing both school and self-training his powers, maybe it was the mild stress headache he had from straining said powers to the limit last night, but he was feeling comparatively testy today.

At sixty-one seconds, he turned and slowly began to walk away.

When Michiko spoke, he paused and looked back at her, as if waiting for her to say more.

When she doesn't, he turns back and continues to walk.
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

3. - Top - End - #243
    Orc in the Playground

[High School - Pool]

Valeria flinches, and quickly moves to grab Kaito's arm. "Kaito-san... please calm down, I'm sure she has a good reason for bringing us all here." Her pleading look also seems to imply 'and please don't leave me here with her...'
    My Homebrew
    Sick props to Akrim.elf for the rockin' Chouko-tar!

BitP: Reborn² characters!
    Madokapunk!

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[High School - Pool]

Kaito stops as Val puts her hand on his arm. For several moments, he gives her an inscrutable look. Finally, he sighs and relaxes a bit, turning away from his path towards the door. He gives Michiko a level gaze while crossing his arms over his chest.

"She'd better have a good reason."

He sticks fairly close to Valeria, understanding her nervousness, hoping his presence calms his friend.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

Kina Yoshimoto - Poolside

Kina is late. The letter in her hands, Kina runs. She holds a rough map of the area which she glances at every few moments. Unfortunately, this means she isn't paying much attention. She nearly runs into Kaito and Valeria in her haste. Her feet slide to a stop just behind them.

"Oh...Kaito, you're here. And Valeria, too. And...oh, hi Ken. ...What's going on?"
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Ken was unconcerned with the glare he had received. He walked over to Kina. "That's what we'd all like to know. Evidently Michiko has something important to tell us."
    Last edited by nothingclever; 2011-03-16 at 11:03 AM.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh! H-hello, Michiko-san." Kina bows slightly to her.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ettin in the Playground

Default [BitP:R] Mortal World 3

Michiko

Michiko continues to stare at Kaito when Valerie goes to fetch him back, lip twitching for a moment before she notices Kina's approach, prompting the older student to give a small smile to the new arrival. "Yoshimoto-san."

The purple-and-black haired girl waits a couple more moments, making sure none others were going to arrive (or step out of the shadows) before she takes a deep breath. "Not too long ago...a friend of mine was killed by one of those Hollow things that Sayaka-chan told us about and I arrived there too late to save him from the beast. One that was easily stronger then the one you all fought in the gym."

She pauses for a moment to let that fact sink in the minds of all those present, lips setting into a firm line before she continued.

"It made something very...apparent to me. We're not strong enough to survive on our own in this city, not with creatures like that lurking in the shadows that are able to detect our every location just because we are 'different' from everyone else. We are, to put it simply, easy prey by ourselves." she says softly, voice intent as she makes her case to students that, for the most part, she did not know very well beyond school records, "That's what I asked all of you here to talk about, banding together so that we at least stand a chance against the heartless beasts that would seek to devour our souls."

"What I'm proposing is that we all band together, so that I can ensure our safety against spiritual threats and otherwise. We'll be picked apart piece-meal on our own, but I know that I can keep all of you safe if you're willing to work with me." There was the crux of the matter, the point that Michiko had been working towards her entire short speech, the one of invitation to join with her. And she certainly does make it seem like a tantalizing proposition, she's a charismatic individual who is an exemplar among the students despite the somewhat scandalous rumors about her family life. One pale hand raises to face palm up towards the heavens as three purple globes form in the air above her palm, circling each other in a tightly knit fashion, "Please, think carefully about my offer...I don't want to see another student die to those freaks and I'll wait until tomorrow for your decisions..."

Yuudai, you better be in position in case things turn south...
    Last edited by Callos_DeTerran; 2011-03-21 at 06:40 PM.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

"...Seems like a good idea." Kina looks at the others, waiting for whatever response they seem to have.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Orc in the Playground

[Afterschool - Pool]

Valeria doesn't so much as hesitate. "...w-what? Why would we need to wait? We should all be in this together! ...Right?" She looks to the others.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Kaito's face grows solemn as Michiko speaks of losing her friend. He shifts to contemplative as she explains her idea, and her reasoning behind it. He nods slightly at a few points. Finally, he closes eyes, tapping his chin in deep thought.

Eventually, he opens his eyes, his expression all business as he speaks.

"First, my condolences on your loss. It's not something anyone should go through.

With that, said, I agree overall. No one of us is strong enough to stand alone against all the monsters this city has to offer. Working together truly is our best option. Mutual defense as we all work to sharpen our skills and deepen our powers.

I do have to wonder...what about the situation means that you in particular are in charge? Why can't we all have a say? It's not like there's hundreds of us; in this room we have six people. Our group might be lucky to double in size, if there are a few more of our peers with similar gifts in the school. So I don't see why we couldn't all be equal partners.

So I have to ask: what exactly makes you ideal, and just what do you mean when you say "I can ensure your safety" and "I know I can keep you all safe if you work with me"? Why not just all of us work together? It's what would happen anyways.
    "

His voice isn't accusing really, just unsure and curious. Though it's clear he's not a huge fan of Michiko just assuming authority over this hypothetical formalization of their group.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Sayaka
    [Meeting of the students, shyly hiding behind]

"..."

Sayaka wanted to agree. Michiko sempai had a good idea. When Sayaka had tried, it had not worked very well.
    But Sayaka also felt something strange about Michiko. Why did she know a second year student? She wanted to ask Michiko after they finished the meeting. But for now she listened to the others talking.

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    "Of course. My family gives up too much time for me already, I can't ask them to be scribes for me too... not when I can do it just as well using a computer."

Chiyoko tilts her head at Kazari's clarification. "...if I can't figure it out on my own, I ask my parents for help. Not to tell me the answer directly, but how to work it out."
    Kazari

"Oh I see!" Kazari said with surprise. Yes, it was a simple answer. She could ask Ren maybe. Do the parents know this? Probably they could understand the problems Kazari thought.

Yes, it was a good idea.

The chime called and it was time for class. In a good mood now, Kazari prepared for class.
    Kasanip's Sketchbook 2 Thread
    It is difficult to speak English, please excuse mistakes kindly m(_ _)m

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kaito's face grows solemn as Michiko speaks of losing her friend. He shifts to contemplative as she explains her idea, and her reasoning behind it. He nods slightly at a few points. Finally, he closes eyes, tapping his chin in deep thought.

Eventually, he opens his eyes, his expression all business as he speaks.

"First, my condolences on your loss. It's not something anyone should go through.

With that, said, I agree overall. No one of us is strong enough to stand alone against all the monsters this city has to offer. Working together truly is our best option. Mutual defense as we all work to sharpen our skills and deepen our powers.

I do have to wonder...what about the situation means that you in particular are in charge? Why can't we all have a say? It's not like there's hundreds of us; in this room we have six people. Our group might be lucky to double in size, if there are a few more of our peers with similar gifts in the school. So I don't see why we couldn't all be equal partners.

So I have to ask: what exactly makes you ideal, and just what do you mean when you say "I can ensure your safety" and "I know I can keep you all safe if you work with me"? Why not just all of us work together? It's what would happen anyways.
    "

His voice isn't accusing really, just unsure and curious. Though it's clear he's not a huge fan of Michiko just assuming authority over this hypothetical formalization of their group.
    Michiko

"Would it just happen anyway?" Michiko says bluntly, "Have any of you taken any steps to work together as a team beyond the gym incident or to train your abilities with one another?"

The older student lets that sink in for a moment before she continues, taking a deep breath, "As for why I should lead this group...well it's only natural, isn't it? I am the oldest among us and I have the most experience with leading small groups since I've been elected as my class representative for two years in a row. More importantly I know how to fight, I've been taking martial arts lessons for many years now and I've been the head of my class in that as well for a long time."

There's no arrogance or pride in her voice as she lists off why she should be in charge, just plain and simple fact being laid out there.

"Can any of you say you have the same qualifications? Or any at all? This is not student council where every person's opinion can be weighed and considered, this group isn't going to handle such petty concerns, it's about defense pure and simple. We defend each other, and if everyone is yelling in such a situation trying to enact their own plans, then all we'll accomplish is dying in one big group."

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"Sayaka brought us together a couple of days later to discuss what happened. I don't recall your having much presence there.

It's true we haven't done much since then, as a "team". But I see no reason to dwell on that; rather, I think we should move forward.
    "

He crossed his arms, meeting her implacable gaze with his own.

"You being older has nothing to do with this. We're in entirely new territory. So you being, what, a year older? That doesn't lend any weight to this. Neither does "class representative". Martial arts training...that's great for up-close combat skills. But did it cover anything like this in those classes of yours?"

Without so much as a twitch of an eyebrow, two of the chairs next to the pool rose up into the air, spent about 20 seconds whirling around each other, before settling back into their original positions.

"Not all of our powers are the same. So our leader would need to be able to think outside the box.

I'm not saying we should all be field leaders. I do think that, outside of actual fights, all our opinions should be given equal merit. This isn't a government, or the military. This is a group of friends working together ot help and defend each other.

And before you say that I want to take control, I'll give you a counter-proposal for leader.
    "

He suddenly points to his rather quieter friend over to one side.

"Nakahiro. He's in kendo. He likes mental strategy games like Go. I know him, and he's been interacting with everyone except you for a while now. His powers are varied enough he's already going to have to think outside the box; that gives him a leg up on the rest of us. And while I'm more talkative, I trust his judgment.

To be honest, Michiko, I don't know you. That means I don't feel I can just trust you to lead us. Maybe one day I can, but I'm not just going to jump right into it from the start. Especially not after that annoyingly false note. Perhaps we can find a system to figure out who really is best suited to lead us. If nothing else, we need to make sure our group doesn't close ranks too tightly, in case there are others who end up needing our help. Shoot, maybe one of them will turn out to be an even better leader.
    "

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Ken spoke in a laid-back tone. "I don't think we even need a leader. Electing one is potentially counterproductive. We should be trying to better think on our feet for ourselves and cooperate with each other without needing someone to direct us. What if we come to rely too much on someone to guide us? Anyway, if we're going to choose a leader, I nominate myself. I've undergone several years of serious combat training and I've fought more hollows besides the one we fought together. I fought another one just a few days ago. Sayaka and Kina are my witnesses. I'm also charismatic and cool as a cucumber. I was plenty calm when we faced that hollow in the gym and I'm naturally a very levelheaded person. I'm super clever too. I must say though, humility is my strongest suit by far. I pride myself most on it."
    Last edited by nothingclever; 2011-03-27 at 12:30 AM.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

"...As long as I don't have to lead." Kina shakes her head at the thought, her hand naturally pulling up to her arm. She hides her pendant in her hand, pressing it into her arm.

As the others continue to argue about who should lead, Kina shakes her head again. "Just please stop, everyone. Stop arguing. Why are we arguing? Let's...just be friends first."

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Kazari

"Oh I see!" Kazari said with surprise. Yes, it was a simple answer. She could ask Ren maybe. Do the parents know this? Probably they could understand the problems Kazari thought.

Yes, it was a good idea.

The chime called and it was time for class. In a good mood now, Kazari prepared for class.
    Chiyoko smiles, as she prepares for class as well.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

Ken turned to Kina. "Relax, even if they're speaking in a confrontational manner, I hardly think either intends to fight it out. If we're all supposed to be friends then we should be able to debate each other and voice disagreements. Talking things like this out can help strengthen our friendship. Of course I agree with you that we should do our best to get along with one another."

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by nothingclever View Post
    Ken spoke in a laid-back tone. "I don't think we even need a leader. Electing one is potentially counterproductive. We should be trying to better think on our feet for ourselves and cooperate with each other without needing someone to direct us. What if we come to rely too much on someone to guide us? Anyway, if we're going to choose a leader, I nominate myself. I've undergone several years of serious combat training and I've fought more hollows besides the one we fought together. I fought another one just a few days ago. Sayaka and Kina are my witnesses. I'm also charismatic and cool as a cucumber. I was plenty calm when we faced that hollow in the gym and I'm naturally a very levelheaded person. I'm super clever too. I must say though, humility is my strongest suit by far. I pride myself most on it."
    "I would disagree. History, research, and logic bear out the wisdom of having a unified chain of command in a combat situation. We do need to think on our feet better, and we do need to cooperate. But the advantage of a leader is that it gives us an absolute source for direction. It precludes confusion.

And please, give me the credentials on your "serious combat training". Not just words; I want the name of where you learned it at such a young age.

Fighting Hollows doesn't make you a leader; it makes you a fighter.

Calm in the face of danger is commendable, but not the only one by far.

I find your presentation bringing "charisma" and "humility" into question. And I cannot speak for your cleverness.

I am sorry, but I'd rather follow Michiko than you.
    "

There's no malice when he speaks, only cold analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    "...As long as I don't have to lead." Kina shakes her head at the thought, her hand naturally pulling up to her arm. She hides her pendant in her hand, pressing it into her arm.

As the others continue to argue about who should lead, Kina shakes her head again. "Just please stop, everyone. Stop arguing. Why are we arguing? Let's...just be friends first."
    Kaito, who had actually remained fairly calm the whole time, gave Kina a level look.

"While vigorous debate does not preclude friendship, this issue is vitally important. It may mean the difference between life and death. It is not a subject I discuss lightly. I will not "stop and just be friends". "Being friends" takes time, but we may not have that time. So we need to hash this out."

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

"I train in the civilized, noble sport of kings, boxing. I've been doing so since I was ten at an excellent gym. I've got a bunch of competition awards to show for it. You can say it's just a sport, but it's also a form of combat and I train seriously in it, hence what I said. Sure I've learned a very limited set of moves for specific situations, but that doesn't matter. If you're wrestling with one of those monsters you've probably already lost. Plus I don't see any of us judo throwing one with much of a result any time soon. What really matters is that I've gained great coordination and reflexes which I can apply to any combat situation. I'd also definitely pick Michiko over you without a second thought because you want someone creative to lead us yet you seem unable to grasp facetiousness."
    Last edited by nothingclever; 2011-03-27 at 11:45 AM.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ettin in the Playground

[Michiko's meeting]

A sweatdrop forms on Gabi's forehead.

---

[Principal Office]

A sweatdrop forms on Reene's forehead.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

Ken redirected his focus to the sickly girl among them. "By the way Valeria, that's a very cute bird you have in your hair. I daresay it's almost as cute as you. It suits you. I think you'd also be a better leader than Kaito. You're so at one with the world that you've got little creatures nesting on you. Truly an admirable feat if ever there was one." His voice was serious and filled with vigor.
    Last edited by nothingclever; 2011-03-27 at 11:56 AM.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Orc in the Playground

[Pool - After School]

Valeria has been quiet for a while; however she almost jumps as Ken addresses her. "W-what? Oh... This is Gabi... but I wouldn't make a good leader, I don't think... and I want to trust Michiko-san, but I don't really know her... I agree with Nakahiro-san." She does blush a bit.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

"I agree with Nakahiro too, but I figure he could use some healthy competition. Besides, I think I'd carry the burden of being our leader quite well." He paused for a wee moment and then delivered his punchline perfectly deadpan. "I've got big shoulders. Would you mind asking your feathered friend if I can pet her?"

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"Pardon my horrible inability to grasp such deep, subtle cues as your speech gives off, Melodrama-sama.

But boxing isn't "serious combat training" in my mind. If I hear that phrase, my thoughts go first to police or military training. Something I severely doubt any of us have had to any real degree.
    "

'Well, father did put me through that "crash course" last year. Heh, mother still doesn't know..'

The smirk on Kaito's face wasn't entirely due to the comment he'd just made out loud.

"I would rank our theoretical "chain of command" to be Nakahiro, then Michiko, then myself, then Valeria, then Ken, then Kina. Multiple factors go into this ranking, including displayed intelligence, potential leadership ability, likely knowledge of historical and modern tactics, and so on. And again, I think we should be collective in our decisions outside of immediate combat situations."

His tone and expression had returned to cool dispassion as he spoke. He then turned to face his so far quiet friend over to one side.

"Nakahiro, do you have any input on the matter? I certainly don't want to force you into a position of command if you don't want it."
    Last edited by KnightDisciple; 2011-03-29 at 07:11 AM.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ettin in the Playground

Gabi turns its head to the sides in a somewhat clear indicative of denial.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

"Displayed intelligence, that's a good one! Who are you to judge how intelligent any of us are? Leadership potential? All I've seen you do is act snippy while trying to appear logical. And needing knowledge of tactics? We're fighting something alright, but we're not fighting a war." Ken looked to Nakahiro. "Well you're the man of the hour now. What do you think?"
    Last edited by nothingclever; 2011-03-27 at 03:06 PM.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Bugbear in the Playground

The School
    Poolside

Externally, Nakahiro has been calm, even cold during the whole discussion. From Michiko's initial statement to the current debate, he hasn't moved an inch from his spot against the wall. His face, too, has remained unhelpful in gauging his thoughts, which are hidden behind a decidedly neutral expression. At the prompts of Kaito and Ken, however, he steps forward from the wall and plants the tip of his umbrella on the ground.

"Well, first off, I agree that any leader should have authority only within combat, allowing a democratic decision-making process otherwise. Moving on to the matter of greater personal significance to me...my credentials have already been listed pretty well, but I want to clarify a few points. My kendo training is no more useful than Ken's boxing; take that as you will. I don't know how much strategic games would help command skill, but if they do, I'm in pretty good shape. While my powers will force more thought on my part, that could potentially serve as a distraction. Finally, since intelligence has been brought up, I have taken enough tests that I feel I can objectively say that I'm fairly smart."

He pauses and looks around at the group.

"With that in mind, if the majority still feels that I would be the best to command, I would be honored to accept."

He turns to look at Michiko.

"Michiko-sempai, do you have anything to say? You've been quiet for a while."
    Last edited by Dorizzit; 2011-03-30 at 07:55 AM.
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

Sayaka
    [To speak finally at group meeting at pool]

Sayaka had listened silently for some time now. She had gotten a little annoyed listening to the argument. Of course none of them had as much experience as she had with this kind of thing! When they had been at the gym, hadn't she tried to get them organized? She had tried really hard to protect them, and they had worked together to defeat the hollow then!

Even though it was not perfect, surely it was some?

When they were at the Shrine, to work together also had gone poorly. Though the reason was the fault of Watanabe Kaito to have the disagreement with her father.

But she had been beaten by the hollow recently too. Ken and Kina had saved her then too.
    She doubted herself with this thought. Not being able to remember some things, it would be dangerous to try to rely on her maybe. That was her thought. But still, she wanted to help. Somehow some of this was her fault perhaps. And really they shouldn't all be arguing now. Sayaka agreed with Kina.
    So she decided to speak a little.
    "Watanabe-kun, Go-kun, please stop arguing.

I don't know who it should be. I..."
    She stopped and put her hands to make fists. And made a determined look.
    "I don't want anyone to get hurt. I wanted to protect everyone, but that failed. I don't think anyone of this group can protect everyone...
    But I do think when we were all together, together we did something amazing. I don't think I should be the leader. But I do have some knowledge that can help."
    She tried to smile- a rare thing maybe, but warm enough.
    "So I think we should all work together. Maybe Michiko sempai and Nakahiro-kun can do this together?"
    Kasanip's Sketchbook 2 Thread
    It is difficult to speak English, please excuse mistakes kindly m(_ _)m

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

Ken shifted his view to Sayaka. "I wasn't going to continue anyway. I'd hate to do anything that'd bother you or Kina. I already feel bad about saying what I did."
    Last edited by nothingclever; 2011-03-28 at 10:17 AM.