New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devil

Default [4ed] Divine Challenge

Ok, now I am confused:

When I checked the Paladin's Handbook from the Wizards forum (Pillars of Faith), the author said that the "must engage" clause had been handwaved.

Where can I find oficial material/errata backing that up? Do you guys have any idea?

Thanks,
    Paladin Review - A Class Balance by me
    Link

Originally Posted by Dyllan

Fawsto is definitely a lawyer. Nothing against what you said, Fawsto - but I've never read anything that sounded more like it came from a lawyer. :-)
    "Justice and liberty/You can't buy/But you don't get it free"
    - Bruce Dickinson, Born in 58

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: [4ed] Divine Challenge

The Divine Challenge compels the creature to attack you.
    So they are more likely to attack you. If they don't they take damage and have a penalty to attack rolls.

They don't have to attack you, it's just there more likely to.

Hope that helps
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

3. - Top - End - #3

Devil

Well, the thing is that it seems that it is/was required that the Paladin engages his marked target (by ending his turn adjacent/attacking the creture during his turn), otherwise the power just faded away and the Paladin would not be able to mark another target in the following round.

Do you know any updates on that?
    Link

Fawsto is definitely a lawyer. Nothing against what you said, Fawsto - but I've never read anything that sounded more like it came from a lawyer. :-)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

No Paladins throw down Divine Challenge as a burst selecting 1creature within the burst and they can choose to attack any creature.

Fighters attack someone after which them mark them as a 'Free Action' Fighters for the most part have to be adjacent because there 'Combat Challenge' involve the enemy shifting away or attacking someone else. At which point the Fighter gets an Opp-Attack.
    Check Out

Spoiler
    Show
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Here's the errata on Divine Challenge: http://wizards.com/dnd/files/Nov2010Update.pdf

Specifically, you don't lose the ability to mark next turn - it simply won't last past the duration of your turn if you don't engage the target. So, yes, the DC restrictions have been loosened considerably.
    Last edited by Break; 2011-02-11 at 01:36 PM.
    Join the IRC channel or else.

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    You do not [play Pun-Pun]. You do not.

Pun-Pun is purely a thought exercise, made to go "haha, look at this series of poorly finished but easily properly understood rules which can be abused for the purpose of laughter." It is the D&D equivalent of being endowed like a tribal fertility statue, or 90's Madonna outfits - scary, striking, suggestive, and completely nonfunctional.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fawsto View Post
    Well, the thing is that it seems that it is/was required that the Paladin engages his marked target (by ending his turn adjacent/attacking the creture during his turn), otherwise the power just faded away and the Paladin would not be able to mark another target in the following round.

Do you know any updates on that?
    Yeah, an errata from a couple months ago changed it so that the mark fades if you don't engage, but you can still use the power next turn to mark them again or someone else.

I have a 4e paladin who's kinda infamous for kiting enemies away from the rest of the party (during approaching TPKs, or just when it would be hilarious) by marking them, running away, and shooting every round with a greatbow or tratnyr he doesn't have proficiency with. (I have almost no Str or Dex, so I'm not hitting with any ranged weapon. If I'm going to miss, I'm going to miss very far away.)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

That seems pointless.

They changed it so you can't just mark the guy and it lasts if you don't attack him it fades.
    Ok thats news to me how quickly at the end of the guys turn or the begining of the Paladins?

This is also why if I'm a defender I play a Fighter, Battlemind, or Swordsage.
    Check Out

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vknight View Post
    That seems pointless.

They changed it so you can't just mark the guy and it lasts if you don't attack him it fades.
    Ok thats news to me how quickly at the end of the guys turn or the begining of the Paladins?

This is also why if I'm a defender I play a Fighter, Battlemind, or Swordsage.
    The thing they changed is the time it takes until you can use it again if you fail to engage (i.e. attack or end your turn adjacent to) the marked enemy. The original rule was, that when you failed to engage an enemy, you couldn't use the challenge in the next round. That restriction is gone now.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ah it sounded completly different almost like the thing was ruined
    Check Out

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

Devil

Thanks for the link!

Since I am begining to play 4ed today, I really needed to show that to my DM. Together with the Sanctions, a Paladin can do his work pretty nice.

Thnx for the great help!
    Link

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Break View Post
    Here's the errata on Divine Challenge: http://wizards.com/dnd/files/Nov2010Update.pdf

Specifically, you don't lose the ability to mark next turn - it simply won't last past the duration of your turn if you don't engage the target. So, yes, the DC restrictions have been loosened considerably.
    Is that update linked from anywhere? It's not listed on the updates page at http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/updates

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't recall it being linked from anywhere on Wizard's site; I pulled the link from a topic in the CharOp forum.
    Join the IRC channel or else.

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    You do not [play Pun-Pun]. You do not.

Pun-Pun is purely a thought exercise, made to go "haha, look at this series of poorly finished but easily properly understood rules which can be abused for the purpose of laughter." It is the D&D equivalent of being endowed like a tribal fertility statue, or 90's Madonna outfits - scary, striking, suggestive, and completely nonfunctional.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Many of the new updates are in a separate section from the original sets of updates. Somebody will have to look closely to find them.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Break View Post

And they dropped the -2 to non-me attack rolls, apparently? Huh, one of my DMs helped roll up a paladin for someone two weeks ago, and character builder still put the -2 on there (I could see it! All the letters looked like dots on the power card thingy, but I'm pretty certain it was there )... Whoo, time for awkward talks with DMs now.
    Last edited by OracleofWuffing; 2011-02-11 at 05:12 PM.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

The -2 is still there, it's part of the "Marked" condition that Divine Challenge applies.

Also, while searching for an official link for that update, I found another: http://wizards.com/dnd/files/DNDessentials.pdf

Edit: I found where the DNDessentials.pdf was linked from, it's just that the "this will be added to the updates" step never happened.
    Last edited by Excession; 2011-02-11 at 05:27 PM.