New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Default Re: That's ONLY CR 9??? Let's Read: The Monster Manual II

No worries, pretty sure we were all cool with you picking up where he left off. See above re: Deathbringer :)
    Let Belkar live!

Necro Tower (DM):
    Group 1 OOC Group 1 IC
    Group 2 OOC Group 2 IC
    Group 3 OOC Group 3 IC

Marvel Super Heroes (Player): OOC IC Char
    The Frontier of Verazemya (Player): OOC IC Char
    Curse of Hel (Player): OOC IC Char
    Kobold Run (Player): OOC IC Char

2. - Top - End - #362
    Orc in the Playground

DEMONS

Remember reaching the "D-G" section in the monster manual,and it's 50 or so pages of demons, devils, dinosaurs, dragons, elemental,giants, and golems? Well, the MMII continues that proud tradition, which is part of the reason I've been putting this off for so long. Well, that and school. And ponies. Fact is, there's only so much witty/observational commentary I can get out of the same group of monster. At least these demons are fairly divrse. , let's get started shall we?

Abyssal Maw
    See that thing up there with the four arms and the big mouth? First observation: though it looks kind of ferociously adorable, it's actually 6 feet tall . Second, doesen't it kind of look like that character from AHH! Real Monsters(which I didn't actually watch as a kid, but you know...). Aside from the amusing design, there's really not much interesting about it. A friend of mine likes to call monsters like these "bullcrap" monsters.They're not based on mythology, or even good design, but rather a result of someone panicking in their office an hour before a deadline and trying to convince themselves that a bipedal mouth is a great addition to the planar cosmology(See also: Slaad).

Anyway, they're very good at what they do. Having a Warrior HD chasis, and 17 strength, gives it a good chance to punch through armor, and their bite attack is more powerful than standard for medium creatures. The thing to watch out for is their Rend the Fallen ability, which gives them another bite attack when they put someone into negatives, for 2d8+4 damage. Again , . Fair warning to low level sorcerers/wizards, stay out of biting range!

Challenge Rating: It's listed as a 1.5, so on the weak end of CR 2. I'm going to say that it's accurate as is though, just because of the fact that it's bite damage combined with the Rend can drop a 1st level fighter in one attack. Therefore, I've taken the liberty of counting it's overly powerful bite attack as a special attack.

Spoiler
    Show
    11 divided by 4.5(2 HD), about 2 1/2.
    Armor Class: 15(+1)
    Special Attacks:Rend the Fallen, Oversized Bite(+2)
    Special Qualities: Outsider traits(snicker) (+0)
    Bonus Feats: None(+0)
    Challenge Rating: 1.85, low end of 2.

Abyssal Skulker
    "Okay, okay, so we've all had sleep, and by sleep I mean 12 gallons of cofee. So, man, I can't believe they thought that, that, whatever the hell that was was a good idea! Abyssal Maw, what the frak were you on man? Seriously though, what next?"

"I know, I know! How about a four armed(no we just did that), errr... four legged creature dog with a bug mouth!"

"*Laughs*. Okay, okay, does it have any special qualities?"

"Nope."

"Okay cool, job well done. Jesus, Wizards thinks everything's a good idea now. "

Such could only have been the design process of the Abyssal Skulker. Just look at it. It's pretty much the same thing as a fiendish housecat, in terms of stats.

Challenge Rating: It's only 1.15, and that's because of HD. Granted, their fluff mentions they move in packs, and that's the only way you're milking anything out of this. At least a fight with chaotic evil housecats would be funny.

Spoiler
    Show
    11 HP divided by 4.5: About 2 1/2 (2 HD)
    Armor Class:15(+1)
    Special Attacks: Nil(+0)
    Special Qualities: Out- AHAHAHAHA, oh, Outsider Traits (+0).
    Bonus Feats: None (+0)
    Challenge Rating: 1.15

Abyssal Ravager

"When I was a child, I dreamed of being an astronaut. And you know what? I actually worked toward it. I would spend days reading books on space, I watched all the documentaries about Neil Armstrong, and then he actually visited my school! Can you imagine it? I kept my hand raised the entire time during his presentation, because I wanted to know everything.

In high school I began to pursue serious education in mathematics and physics. I was a straight A student. I also played Dungeons and Dragons. I started to slack off in classes anyway, and that didn't help. I spent hours when I should have studied just playing around with friends. Eventually I got good at writing, and had a friend who had a friend who was a game designer. Now I'm sitting here, it's 3:00 AM in the morning, and look at what we did. Just look at that picture. I could have been an astronaut. Instead people won't remember me as the designer of that."

"So that's a go-ahead on the Abyssal Ravager?"

"...Yes."

Challenge Rating: Okay, that had better be as funny as it seems at 3 in the morning, because I really don't have much more to say about this It's got some fancy qualities for it's low level nature, including large size, poison, resistances, and scent. These all combine to make it CR 4. Now that's not supposed to happen, but it's got enough bonuses and a big enough CON that I'd feel comfortable running it against 4th levelers.

Frankly, I think the resistances are overkill: the max amount of acid damage a spellcaster could deal at that level is 8, and the max amount of cold damage is 3. I'd personally run it as a sort of boss monster at low levels, and mabye use it as a hit and run monster at slightly higher levels, especially combined with Combat Reflexes.Strength damage isn't fun.

Spoiler
    Show
    22 divided by 4.5: About 5(3 HD)
    Armor Class: 17(+1)
    Special Attacks: Poison(+1)
    Special Qualities: Immunity to Posion, Resitance to Cold 20, Resitance to Acid 20, Scent (+5)
    Bonus Feats: It's actually lacking the feats for it's HD. Again. Seriously, who edited this book? Anyway, conversion guide suggests Combat Reflexes. (+0)
    Challenge Rating: 4. Sounds about right.
    Last edited by Darthteej; 2011-10-02 at 03:05 AM.
    Sup ho.

Avatar by the profilic kaptainkrutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Really, getting mad at a story for using tropes is about as sane as getting mad at the book it's printed in for using atoms.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

The fiendish codex errata pegged the ravager at cr3, IIRC. Also, I have a hard time viewing the skulker as a serious threat. It's attack does what - 2 times 1d2 damage? It will be a long time before it pings the wizard to death!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I can never understand WOTC's reasoning; taking RAW as a whole is like grabbing a book filled with fortune cookie sayings and basing your life off of them.
    My humble efforts at re-cr'ing MM2
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215727

4. - Top - End - #364
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Runestar View Post
    The fiendish codex errata pegged the ravager at cr3, IIRC. Also, I have a hard time viewing the skulker as a serious threat. It's attack does what - 2 times 1d2 damage? It will be a long time before it pings the wizard to death!
    Actually, it's 1d2 flat. The only way this thing's going to be any threat is to give it Crusader Levels
    Sup ho.

Really, getting mad at a story for using tropes is about as sane as getting mad at the book it's printed in for using atoms.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

I'm pretty sure most of the resistances in MM2 should be cut in half, as per 3.5e rules. They forgot to fix those in the conversions (same with Fiend Folio). Being demons, I think their resistances should be in line more with tanar'ri, who have resistances of 10.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razz View Post
    I'm pretty sure most of the resistances in MM2 should be cut in half, as per 3.5e rules. They forgot to fix those in the conversions (same with Fiend Folio). Being demons, I think their resistances should be in line more with tanar'ri, who have resistances of 10.
    Hmm, that would take the CR of the ravager down to 3, or close to it.
    Sup ho.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Firbolg in the Playground

Has anybody brought up the Bugbear Zombie? It's supposedly CR 2. It has 42 hp, DR 5/slashing, AC 16, speed 30', +6 to attack and 1d8+3 damage. It's supposed to be the boss in a 1st-level adventure WotC published and it TPKed a group of new players I was teaching (it killed a couple of the PCs in one shot...). On the other hand, a 1st-level party of four designed by me rather than by new players would probably slaughter it... So who here thinks it's actually CR 2?
    Jude P.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

What page of the Monster Manual II is that on?
    Let Belkar live!

Necro Tower (DM):
    Group 1 OOC Group 1 IC
    Group 2 OOC Group 2 IC
    Group 3 OOC Group 3 IC

9. - Top - End - #369

Quote Originally Posted by Archwizard View Post
    Oh, that says "II". I read it as "I" for some reason. Yeah, Bugbear Zombie is MM I. Never mind then.
    Jude P.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

The Abyssal Maw is actually Grimace. Yes. THAT Grimace. He is purple with a big mouth in his modern form, yes, but he was originally a four-armed villain to Ronald McDonald who liked to steal fast food.

See, it's not as stupid as you thought it was!It's WORSE!

Now I want to make a McDonald's-themed module. "Revenge of the King of Burgers", perhaps?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archwizard View Post
    The demons entry starts on 56, but these critters extend to 57.
    Last edited by Darthteej; 2011-10-03 at 12:09 AM.
    Sup ho.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Has anybody brought up the Bugbear Zombie? It's supposedly CR 2. It has 42 hp, DR 5/slashing, AC 16, speed 30', +6 to attack and 1d8+3 damage. It's supposed to be the boss in a 1st-level adventure WotC published and it TPKed a group of new players I was teaching (it killed a couple of the PCs in one shot...). On the other hand, a 1st-level party of four designed by me rather than by new players would probably slaughter it... So who here thinks it's actually CR 2?
    Pssh, that thing?

I took that out. In a party of two. Consisting of a rogue and a Warlock.

Granted, I think we were 2nd level at the time, but we shredded it (probably shouldn't use my troll-blooded warlock as a "balanced" example, though...)
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

13. - Top - End - #373
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post

Granted, I think we were 2nd level at the time, but we shredded it (probably shouldn't use my troll-blooded warlock as a "balanced" example, though...)
    Ya think? Really? Noooooo, i think that's perfectly balanced. Being able to regenerate all damage thrown at them is fine for 2nd level characters.
    Sup ho.

14. - Top - End - #374

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Pssh, that thing?

I took that out. In a party of two. Consisting of a rogue and a Warlock.

Like I said, if I designed a 1st-level party of four they could have eaten it for breakfast. I could probably take it out with a party of two.
    But the thing was used in an adventure for newbie players, and because another guy was helping the group build their characters while I set up, I wasn't involved in the party balancing process. He let them build two ranged Rogues, a Druid with a sling and no healing spells, and a Cleric with a mace, one healing spell, and spontaneous inflicting, and who forgot he could try to rebuke undead.
    Jude P.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Darthteej View Post
    The demons entry starts on 56, but these critters extend to 57.
    I was talking to noparlpf, which he figured out. I was trying to avoid this thread getting derailed by a discussion of a monster that is not from the MMII, which is the point of this thread.
    Let Belkar live!

Necro Tower (DM):
    Group 1 OOC Group 1 IC
    Group 2 OOC Group 2 IC
    Group 3 OOC Group 3 IC

16. - Top - End - #376
    Dwarf in the Playground

So... that beautiful project is dead once more? Or do you simply have those lengthy breaks on purpose?
    Can't wait till you continue
    Thanks to Dirtytabs for the awesome ponytar =D

And take a look at my first homebrew-class, the Craftknight - a (ToB-less) master of all weapons! Creative input greatly appreciated

17. - Top - End - #377
    Orc in the Playground

I know... I know, I'm awful. I'll have them up tommorow, I promise! Another 3 monsters.
    Sup ho.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Aboot time! I missed you!
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Titan in the Playground

I was just taking a look at the MM2 again.

Why does the Bronze Serpent heal 1 point of damage for every 3 points of damage it would take, but also have Electricity Resistance 10?
    I guess it would make some sense if it would be intended that it heals only 1 point of damage for every 3 points above 10, but I think they just messed up editing and it is supposed to be immune.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

20. - Top - End - #380
    Orc in the Playground

Jovoc
    See the thing with the big claws? Wait, no. See the thing with the pointed ears? No, wait. Okay, okay, the Jovoc is the thing without the wings. They're nasty little buggers who are hinted to be the spirits of gnomes who ended up in the abyss. I find these things strangely adorable the more I look at them, look at it, it's even got a little gut! Mabye it just needs a big hug

Problem is that hug will kill you.

The Jovoc is small size, has no offesnive spells, and very low strength. It's main form of offense is the Aura of Retribution. Basically what this means is that any damage they take(yes, any, so it doesen't have to be from you) will deal an equivalent amount to any nondemon within 30 ft, unless they make a Fort save for half. The tactics section specifically mentions that their method of fighting is to stand around in the background hitting each other. Unbelievably, the editors seemed to have caught a mistake and made sure to mention that Javoc's attacks deal "full damage" to each other, which presumably bypasses their DR. So yeah, fun little monster, supposedly CR 5, and annoying as hell in any case. Let's see what VorpalTribble has to say about it?

Challenge Rating: MMII weirdness once again! All of those special qualities bumped it up to Challenge Rating 6. I can see why it does so, because unless you have a silver weapon it's absorbing 10 points of damage each round, and dealing at least some of it back. This is one example of an MMII creature that really fits it's intended design: it's meant to be used as a sucker punch, or to be smaller minions during a boss fight who can still contribute.

Spoiler
    Show

38 HP(4 HD) divided by 4.5: +8
    AC 16: +1
    Special Attacks: None(+0)
    Special Qualities: Aura of Retribution, DR 5/Silver, Fast Healing 5, Resistance to Acid, Cold, and Fire 10, Immunity to Electricity and Poison, SR 9+level: +10,
    Bonus Feats: None(+0)
    END RESULT: 6

Palrethee
    See that big thing with the skeleton wings? Apparently, a Palrethee is what happens when a demon wants to be a Balor, and doesn't. They're punished by burning in eternal fire(despite being immune to fire ), and by being the lapdogs to REAL Balor. Mechanically they fulfill this role by having all the same tactics and equipment as low level Balor. Balor is fun to say. Balor Balor Balor.

They are equipped with a flaming longsword, deal fire damage when attacked, and set creatures on fire with their slam attack. I'm beginning to sense a pattern. Their only other option is to use a fear SLA. The book does mention that they tend to be more manipulators than combatants, but they lack any sort of shapeshifting. This means they're either BBEGs, or your players think a giant flaming bat thing with red eyes is perfectly trustworthy. Figure it out on your own.

Challenge Rating: It comes up as very slightly above a 9, which is okay. Fact is this thing was created just to be a low level version of the Balor, and both it's fluff and crunch end up hinging too much on that.

Spoiler
    Show

HP:60 divided by 5(8 HD): +12
    Armor Class 23: +2
    Special Attacks: Demonic Burn, Spell Like Abilities: +2
    Special Qualities: DR 10/Magic, Fiery Shield, Fire Subtype, Tann'ari Traits, SR 10+Level: +12
    Bonus Feats: None +0
    END RESULT: 9.33, or about 9

Special Attacks:
    Last edited by Darthteej; 2011-10-23 at 07:57 PM.
    Sup ho.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Jovars seem pretty cool. Unusual without being total B.S.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darthteej View Post
    Balor is fun to say. Balor Balor Balor.
    I have recently been informed that if you are really afraid of a monster, you only have to say its name often enough and it will become just funny and adorable.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm...
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2011-10-24 at 03:20 PM.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

I see what you did there.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    I have recently been informed that if you are really afraid of a monster, you only have to say its name often enough and it will become just funny and adorable.
    Proviso: You don't do this at midnight in front of a mirror.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hm, thinking of fantasy and folklore, doesn't speaking something's name often risk drawing it's attention?

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

THEY STOLE YOUR IDEA!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG3cq...ure=plpp_video @ 9:50

Unless you see NC's videos on his site before they get uploaded to YouTube...

28. - Top - End - #388
    Orc in the Playground

Sooo, next update coming will include three, count em, three monsters. However, I do have a problem with this thread's organization. See, I can't edit the opening post to include these new monsters I'm putting up. Any ideas?
    Sup ho.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Troll in the Playground

When LotRfan comes back, if he doesn't throw down a Bulk Update of Reruns, can probably edit them in. In the mean time, maybe make a post somewhere to add a "second index" to?

30. - Top - End - #390
    Orc in the Playground

When? His return is a pretty big if in my book. Did he ever give a reason as to why he's left teh interwebz?
    Sup ho.