Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast

Thread: AvB - Ishmael

1. - Top - End - #301
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: AvB - Ishmael

Spoiler
    Show

Ok so last OOC post.

Within the half a minute or so does anyone come out?

- If yes 5 seconds after they leave I use the hat to take their appearance and the clothes they were wearing. and rush inside throwing a quiet

"Damnit forgot my pouch again" line as I head deeper inside.

- if not. I enter a moment or two after her trying to remain hidden and follow her deeper inside. If that does not work (there is nowhere to hide or there is someone directly in front of the door or there is another closed door to the private section and not just a hallway) then I approach the "reception" and ask to be shown availiable rooms. I try to see to which direction the Aasimar goes and depending on that I say I want "X facing Room" where is X is her direction.

Depending on which of the above works I shall roleplay it/describe it and make any appropriate rolls.

AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

no one shows up within 30 seconds or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

3. - Top - End - #303

Ishmal walks inside trying to be inconspicuous and hoping the reception desk is not in the front.

If he does not have time to hide until he sees someone inside then he walks to the desk or counter.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

You see your target walk down an eastern hallway before the door shuts. The sound of a click indicates it's probably locked.

There is a desk in the far side of the room where a bored looking elf is scribbling idly on papers.

There is no one else present in this room, but chairs and exotic potted plants litter the entrance, some quite near the doors.
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

5. - Top - End - #305

Spoiler
    Show

Would it be feasible to sneak using the plants and the pick the lock from behind them?

If yes I do that and you can describe me how it works.

(1d20+27)[38] - hide
    (1d20+20)[24] - MS
    (1d20+12)[31] - Open lock

If it seems risky to do that and it will be obvious someone is pilfering with the lock ignore that and I shall post another action.

Are there other doors leading to other directions?

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

There is a door leading east through which your target entered, and one leading west.

The bored man behind the desk is oblivious to your presence, lockpicking skills, or seemingly anything in the world.

7. - Top - End - #307

Spoiler
    Show

Good. So do I hear a "satisfying clicki" or something indicating the door opened?

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

You hear the obligatory satisfying cliche.

9. - Top - End - #309

Spoiler
    Show
    disguise self to look like the girl and what she was wearing including a dagger as flower. He the below is not clear what I am going for is in explanation of why the door opens.
    Ishmael opens the door and tumbles inside. A second later he steps back out looking like her. 'she' stops in her tracks mutters a barely heard "i forgot the ... ."what she forgot remains a mystery as she turns on her heels and returns inside.
    Last edited by Monodominant; 2011-03-01 at 02:46 AM.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

No one seems to notice you or care.

You get there just as the target shuts one of the residential doors along the hall.

11. - Top - End - #311

Spoiler
    Show

Yuppi! So I did see which room she is in?

Ok so I check the other rooms to see if any is obviously unused. So the door seems less worn, there is "welcoming" mat. I hear no sounds from inside etc.

I can do a "search" for that if you will allow. The point is to detect if any of the rooms in this area are vacant.

(1d20+6)[19]

Also are we on the ground floor and where there windows from outside?

if you need a new hide/ms tell me and I will roll them as well.

Ishmael was more amazed with being sucessful than with his luck! He became one with the wall and looked around stepping on his toes and trying to mask his presence.

He passed by the various doors and checked the ones in the corridor to see if there was the possibility to figure out if any rooms were vacant so he could set up there.

He also checked to see if there were any fire-exits or backdoors leading anywhere but to the front entrance.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

The only exit seems to be the one from which you came.

Most of the rooms appear occupied, but two of them do not appear to be so. One right near the door out of this wing, the other midway down, on the opposite side of the hall from your target and two doors down.

13. - Top - End - #313

Spoiler
    Show

How about Windows? are there windows to the rooms on the ground floor or there is only artificial light in the rooms?

Also (since now I stay in one) can you enter the boarding house only before the night or you are free to enter and exit whenever you want?

I try to open the door that is on the opposite side and two doors down.

(1d20+12)[23]

After unlocking it I open it VERY little and first look inside before doing anything rush.

Ishmael waited a few moments, slowed his breathing and took out his tool. This was getting serious and he was very close. All he needed was some more good luck and the mission was as good as done.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    none that you can see

depends on ech individual case. Yours, you can come in as late as 1am without formal complaints being lodged against you. Too many complaints, and your lease is terminated.

the door does not respond to your manipulations of its lock.

no obligatory satisfying cliche this time.

15. - Top - End - #315

Spoiler
    Show

As opposed to 2nd edition you can continue trying right?

If that is the case I spend a little bit more time trying... it says in phb that an attempt is one full round action and it allows for retry. Would taking 20 mean 2 minutes then? If yes then I do that for a total of 32 score...

If you wont allow for take 20 I will make some rolls for half a minute of trying (5 rolls)

(1d20+12)[14]
    (1d20+12)[18]
    (1d20+12)[17]
    (1d20+12)[27]
    (1d20+12)[19]

If I manage to open it I do as described before.

The no window thing is kind of an issue... I wanted to establish a room and then go out the window to create my own personal entance but I guess I have to wait and see until I am in.

Last edited by Monodominant; 2011-03-01 at 05:13 AM.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

Sadly, your lockpicks broke off in your second attempt, ruining them and making the lock even harder to pick.

17. - Top - End - #317

Spoiler
    Show

Damnit... So I take it thats the problem with the take 20... need to get masterwork tools...

In any case.

I shall make -1- attempt at the other door you mentioned and pray to Kelemvor it works.

Otherwise I shall have to think of another plan.

(1d10+12)[17]

Ishmael cursed under his breath. This was becoming annoying.

Muttering a small prayer to Kelemvor he walked to the other door and did one try promising himself he would buy better tools after this and make a donation to the temple.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

Once again, his tools break off in the door.

Spoiler
    Show
    and you thought this was almost over...
    Last edited by planswalker; 2011-03-01 at 05:37 AM.

19. - Top - End - #319

Spoiler
    Show

I dont understand why they keep breaking unless if there is some form of magical protection on the door but anyway...

Ishmael tried to think what his mentor had told him.

First option to get inside somewhere was to ask them to open for you.
    Second was to open the door without any sign of entry.

Now if those two failed you had to get creative. The third option was to errode the mechanism of a door without making it visible... the fourth was to simply force it.

Forcing it was not his style, and probably he would not be able to do it anyway, so Ishmael took a deep breath and took a vial from his bandoleer. He removed the cork and very carefully not to breath the fumes he tipped a little bit of acid in the door mechanism. Just enough to eat the metal tongue but not more than necessary to make it show from the outside or eat the wood and ruin the door.

Spoiler
    Show

Using a few drops of acid to ruin the mechanism of the door without making it obvious. (I shall remove the whole vial from my equipment but for the actual effect I probably dont need the whole thing).

PS.

I didnt think -its over-. I wont kill her today, or even attempt. This is all the pre-work to the assassination.

I meant the "chase" is over... :D

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

you successfully use the acid to disable to doorway.

Spoiler
    Show
    according to the PHB, faiing open lock checks by 5 or more results in the picks breaking off and increasing the dc by a one time jump of 5.

21. - Top - End - #321

Spoiler
    Show

I am not trying to second guess you but under Open Locks in PhB 3.5 I dont find this... nor under Thieve's Tools or Locks in equipment.

there is a mention in disable device but that is for traps and the dc to disable a lock under that table is 10...

But I have been know for my poor eyesight and you are the decider in the end ;p

Ishmael suppresed a cry of joy. He carefully pushes in the door trying not to make noise or damage it more. He sneaks inside the room and takes a look.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    erm... I cannot find it either. My group i guess has always had that as a houserule from junior high to college. Every rl group I've ever played in has had a penalty to failing the check by 5 or more be that the picks break off, specifically so any moron who wants can't take 20 and mean every lock everywhere is useless.

upon examining the rules and doing a quick online recon, I cannot find such a rule and strong arguments can be made for taking 20. and, from their argument, locks are there to be 2 minute delays in a group's adventure, not actual deterrents from entering.

At this point, I am going to apologize to you. I used a rather harsh houserule with no warning that it wasn't as per the rulebooks. If you'd like, we can retcon away my houserule since that's something I should have warned you about..

if so, we'll re-examine your first breaking off and reset the game at that point.

we can also just continue on at this point, and discard my houserule from now on.

or we can just continue and now that you know about this rule can be better prepared.

23. - Top - End - #323

Spoiler
    Show
    No need for retcon, what is done is done. We can continue as the story goes. I am a bit sceptical about this rule as there is no way to be prepared other than just having a high skill since d 20 has large variance and dc for open lock is minimum 20 so its easy to block every single door you find. There is penalty for failing in the case of traps. Plus considering that a good lock is d c 30 even taking 20 is not enough without significant ranks. in any case no need to apologise at all. Only thing i would ask is if possible that Ishmael will know how to make it look as if the lock jammed as opposed to was violated. Dont wont to leave too much evidence. Dont worry about it though... We play with loads of house rules with my real life group and with many dms we still even do that if you fail to open a lock there is no retry until you level though he keeps the d c lower. So lets continue!

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    okay, sounds fine by me. I'll drop the house rule for you. The lock is jammed, but that is all a non-expert could tell.

It is an empty bedroom.

25. - Top - End - #325

Spoiler
    Show

The most important question.

Is there a window?

Ishmael did a quick search of the room and checked for possible exits or entrances. Perhaps a window or a big enough ventilation shaft he could use to gain entry and exit without bothering with the normal way in!

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

Indeed there is, one looking into a back alley.

27. - Top - End - #327

With a tremendous feat of of will he managed to keep himself from smiling and jittering with excitement. He did a final sweep of the room and placed a chair against the door to make sure it would not swing open.

He then approached the window, checked to see if there was anyone out there and when he made sure noone was looking he climbs out. He makes sure to leave the window in a way that he will be able to open it from the outside again by leaving a small piece of material ,torn from a blanket or table sheet or if nothing available in the room a piece of his cape, so that the lock does not become fully secured while it also does not allow for the window to swing open.

Satisfied he has a way in and as some time has passed he heads to the tavern for his reservation. Feeling everything has gone well so far he can actually enjoy his date.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

Using a corner of the sheet on the bed, Ishmael does exactly that.

When he arrives for his date, Jezleen is waiting. "You're late." She says in mock reproval.

29. - Top - End - #329

"I wanted to make an entrance" he says jokingly. "And you look beautifull tonight so I feel doubly bad about losing some of the precious time." he says
    Spoiler
    Show
    assuming she did make an effort!

He takes his place next to her rather than across and looks around the place taking in the details and characteristics.

"What shall we have?"

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    indeed she did. There's something.... dangerous about her beauty. Almost like you're dating a devil's granddaughter...

The place is rather empty tonight, there are few other customers.

Spoiler
    Show
    and, I've gotta confess, I've lost track of which restaurant you've gone to. You're not the only one who dines out often, and I'm terrible with remembering names.