New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: AvB - Ishmael

1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: AvB - Ishmael

"It actually takes only a very small talent to apply grafts, and it takes none at all to accept them. The possibilities are truly endless, and extend well beyond the limits you are thinking of. Imagine instead gaining the wings, skin, breath, claws, and aura of a dragon. Or the steadfastness of roots, the independent energy of leaves, healing fungi, and barklike skin. Or wielding fire in one hand, gliding through the earth without trace, breathing the water, and flying through the air. Or gaining the formiddable defenses of the undead. And that's just the beginning. If you want some, they're not cheap. The results, though are worth the costs."

"You mention needing a few spells cast from your own wand? Why did you buy a wand instead of potions?"
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

"On the subject of grafts I would definetly be interested. Currently I am not in a very afluent situation though but I will keep it in mind when I get some hard cash or perhaps a magical item I could trade.

As for the reason of wand instead of potions... I can use a wand although it does not always work but that is only part of the reason." Ishamel looked around making sure noone was around and dropped his voice somewhat.

"Well... it is a something I try not to advertise but I feel I can tell you. It is a talent I have, from what I have been told it is not common but not extremely rare either. My mentor used to call it spellfire. It allows me to absorb limited amounts of magical energy and then expend it to cure minor wounds. I cannot fuel it with potions though... apparently those that decide to pursue it beyond any other interest can indeed some times drain power from any magical item but I do not have that ability and according to my mentor that capability either.

Would you be willing to perhaps help me? I do not have alot of money right now in return but perhaps you would be interested in taking part as an experiment so I could be repaying you with the... knowledge of its existence should you meet someone trying to employ it against you along with its limitations?"
    AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

He chuckles. "I've heard of spellfire before. In fact, that was the topic of last week's lecture in this very class. Tell you what, I'll help you fire off your wand. How many times do you want it done? I won't do it for free, but I won't demand your firstborn for it either."
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

4. - Top - End - #34

Ishmael nodded excited once more! Free meal, interesting new opportunity for when he would have money AND finally getting his request fulfilled.

"Well it depends on the cost. I believe sixteen times should be within scope to allow me to have some power stored but also leave room just in case!" He said with all honesty.

"Also, in the future should you ever touch on it again perhaps I could help you make a practical example if you dont have a student with that ability. No charge off course, it would be just me owing you for your kindness. Also could you give me an idea of more precise costs for grafts? Right now I most likely cant afford it but to know how much I need to gather for them!"
    Last edited by Monodominant; 2011-04-08 at 01:26 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

'Tell you what. I'll charge you 1 silver per charge expended. The union would eat me alive if I did it for free. As for the demonstration, how about this Thursday? I was planning on speaking about spell defenses, but this sounds like a more useful demonstration. You'll receive the usual 3 gold compensation for this service. I'll have my secretary fill out all the paperwork."

"As to grafts, they range in cost from a few thousand to two hundred thousand. The exact cost depends on the type requested, the rarity of the donor, and the extent of the grafting process. Oh, and like anything magical, the costs increase dramatically the more potent the effect. The law of Rising Power, it's called."

6. - Top - End - #36

Ishmael was genuinly impressed! He nodded and thanked the professor quite suprised at his good luck.

"Sounds perfect" he said and gave the man the money for the service.

"And I can come by Thursday. We could saw your students that , as far as I know at least, only direct effects can be drained and as I think I may be able to survive a low powered area effect which cant be you can show them this as well. Cautioning them off course that even area of effect abilities may be dodged all together by some individuals with sufficient training! But off course its your class so your decision!" He exclaimed.

"As for the grafts okay, its something to keep in mind as I said! Now all I need is a wealthy enough patron to finance me!"

Spoiler
    Show

When we are done from the university do I still have time for the more mundane and alchemical shopping?

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    indeed you will. Buying mundane stuff at market price doesn't require special rp, though. Just declare what you buy and mark the costs off your character sheet.

8. - Top - End - #38

Spoiler
    Show

I shall buy 3 diffrent sets of mundane clothes. A mixture of traveller/artisan/peasant clothing to keep my wardrobe from being a memorable characteristic. (2 gold and 1 silver)

From alchemical supplies 2 x scent breakers (20gp x2) 1 x alchemist fire (20gp) 2 x sunrods (2gp x 2) and also ask if there is any alchemical substance which can quickly get rid of a dead tissue.

Lastly I want to buy a weapon capsule retainer (100gp) and a quickfire capsule (25gp)

Total purchases cost: 191gp +15 silver (including the wand use) + whatever I need for 2 nights at an inn.

Ishmael went about his business making the purchases he needed and then heading back for the night satisfied with a full day of activity.

Before doing so he passes from the center and has a look around for a tall building that can see towards the square were the Sad flint is.

Additionally he makes a casual observation spending some time to check other possible entrances in and out of the Sad flint.

Spoiler
    Show

a) I want to see if there is any building on which roof I could go to be able to have a full view of the Sad Flint.
    b) Backdoors, side doors etc
    c) I ask if it closes at all during the day/night or if its a 24-hour open establishment. If its open all day and night I ask what time the bartender I met gets off (gather info 1)
    d) I am trying to gather any info on whether anyone knows if perhaps there is another entrance or exit but from another building. I mean if perhaps there is a basement that connects to another building in the neighboorhood so that people are not seen going in or out. (gather info 2)
    e) A general question... how come this place is not target to massive raids from the guard? I mean by now the fact that death contracts are being handled should have spread if not by the actual people working here due to the agreements then from a client or killer that decided not to take a job after all! (knowledge local)

gather info 1 - (1d20+6)[17]
    gather info 2 - (1d20+6)[23]
    knowledge local - (1d20+7)[21]

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

The only entrance he can find is the public entrance into the building.

Spoiler
    Show
    a)Ezekiel's Supplies directly across the street there has a good view. The Flint is a three-story building, and Ezekiel's supplies is the only other building nearby close to that height. It has a large attic space that makes the roof significantly higher than the surrounding buildings, although it is only a two-story building.. The rest are more conventional two-story house-shops seen in this part of town.
    b)see the IC line
    c)It opens at dawn and closes the bar at dusk. Those who rent rooms are allowed in after hours but are expected to go straight to their rooms quietly.
    d)The employers and employees of the recruitment center on the second and third floors all have to enter and exit through the same public entrance. No one is sure where the staff come in at. You couldn't find anyone who's ever seen them enter or exit the building, yet they disappear when their shifts are over.
    e)It seems that any potential assassin who would consider betraying them ends up dead before he has a chance to formally bear witness against them. You've also heard rumors that the Archduke allows it because they keep him informed of all of their jobs, so he can manipulate the lesser nobles. The man who told you that, though, seemed more than a little drunk and proceeded to tell you that the needle mines were the home of giant shrimp monsters.

10. - Top - End - #40

Spoiler
    Show

Tricky....

are the facilitators considered employers or staff?

Assuming the second I will not actually stalk the place any more tonight.

How long does a take 20 on gather info take? one full day or more?

Also when you are coming for a job do I know if jobs are split by type (assassination/protection) and if the name of the facilitator is given?

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    staff

You can't take 20 on gather info. There is a chance that you can fail it badly enough to have negative consequences. Furthermore, each gather info takes 1d4+1 hours. multiply that by 20, and that's quite a while.

as for the jobs, you don't know. There's a whole non-disclosure contract everyone seems to have to sign before being allowed to see how it works. You can't find anyone who's ever broken it.

12. - Top - End - #42

Spoiler
    Show

Okay. so I let the rest of the day pass.

Can you roll a gather info on a specific person? So could I roll to try and learn about her in particular since I have a name/description/race?Also are there any "aasimar communities" or "aasimar quarters" in the city?

Would you allow me to have asked a question at the employer by the way? If the job he had asked for her to facilitate was "problem solving" or "protection" so I can know what her specialty is.

Assuming (for the shake of simplicity) that I got the job on Sunday evening and on Monday I did the initial gather infos. Tuesday I did the shopping/uni stuff and these basic gather infos for the overall process and nothing else.

Now on Wednesday I return to the Sad flint and head straight for the recruitment rooms. As always a new " minor mundane disguise" along with a diffrent set of clothes and a new magical disguise with added details from the hat.

Last edited by Monodominant; 2011-02-16 at 06:03 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    you can.

the aasimars in the city do not have their own descrete community.

you could ask the question.

sounds like a good timetable to me.

as for your Wednesday activities, can I have some rp, please? Not just declarations in spoiler text?

14. - Top - End - #44

Spoiler
    Show

Oh definetly. I wanted to check with you about jumping to it before going for it.

Wednesday morning first (1d4+1)[3] hours - Gather info on her ( we know which skill I will be maxing out when I eventually/hopefully level!)

(1d20+6)[22]

Ishmael, now looking more like a human with dark short cropped hair, a 3-day stub and a scar above the right eye of young age and dressed in average quality clothes entered the Sad Flint and looked around.

With determination he approached the pair of armored men in front of the double door leading upstairs.

"Morning gentlemen. I would like access to the floors upstairs. Do I need a special permission or some form of proof of intent?"

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

"Joss over at the bar has to approve of you and give you a token." They say.

Spoiler
    Show
    for some reason, no one seems to be able to tell you more about her than you already know. Someone or something is keeping the inner workings of the Sad Flint a secret.

You do hear one whisper that she lives in the Noble's Quarter with the rest of the Facilitators, who are kept secluded from the rest of the population that way.

16. - Top - End - #46

Spoiler
    Show

Oh wow this is getting pretty complicated :). The Sad Flint has a whole clandestine organisation probably behind it. Cant stop wondering if my employer is setting me up! Especially considering all this its starting to become interesting why a facilitator would break protocol and betray a paying customer.

Indeed Ishmael heads over to the bar and looks at the half-giant without emotion

"Good morning. I would like a token for the upstairs rooms. I am looking for employment in my line of business"
    Last edited by Monodominant; 2011-02-16 at 07:02 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

He looks at you for a moment, as if he recognizes you, then dismisses it. "What kind of work would that be?" He asks.

18. - Top - End - #48

The voice dropping to a whisper and he turns checking over his shoulder.

"Problem solving. Can be quiet or messy depending on the requirements of the employer. Confidentiality is a core principle of my trade as is efficiency"
    Last edited by Monodominant; 2011-02-16 at 07:10 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

"And you expect a tavern to help you out because...?"

20. - Top - End - #50

"Well interesting individuals gather in interesting places sir. The armed guards at the door there telling me I need permission and a token kind of indicate there is indeed such an option. Plus despite being new I did get told that if I am looking for a job, the Flint was the place to go though not much more detail than that".

He said with all honesty.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, you're an informed little bugger, I'll give you that. However, there's a reason you have to get a token from me instead of just being granted access. I've gotta like you, and something about you doesn't sit right with me. Tell me your backstory."

22. - Top - End - #52

"Is it okay to talk about it here? If yes I have no qualms about being honest. My name is Ish and I am part of an Order of "problem solvers". I have been trained in diffrent ways of doing diffrent things but you are right. Being likeable was never my strong suit though I try sir, the gods know I try. I believe colleagues of mine have worked or operated in this city before and some may be already working. I ask for the opportunity to also offer my talents to those that have need of them for the correct price."

With a swift move I show him a small ring around my neck that has the mark of the Order. Ymeo would have been wearing the same (on his finger as opposed to hiding it).
    Last edited by Monodominant; 2011-02-16 at 08:16 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

"Something about you doesn't sit right with me, but that's fine. You're honest enough, for a killer. Take this and try your luck."

he tosses you a small wooden letter "S"

24. - Top - End - #54

Ishmael pockets the token and leaves a gold coin on the bar as a small tip before heading back to the guards.

"Gentlemen." he said offering them the token.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

The guard on your right takes the token from you and says, "Yep, enter through here." He opens the door for you and closes it after you.

On the other side is a dwarf sitting at a desk with a pile of papers strewn throughout. He glances up as you enter and says, "Oh, another one? Sign this and please don't disturb the papers on my desk." He pushes a paper your direction.

The walls are bare stone, and behind him is a black door made of iron.

26. - Top - End - #56

Spoiler
    Show

Okay so my employer had mentioned something about -a list-. I take a good long look at the table trying to "spot" such a list and in general to see what papers are on is on his desk. I shall make small talk to explain the delay

(1d20)[19]

Thanking the guards he indeed stepped inside. After taking a long look at the dwarf and the room he focused on the paper but quickly looked back at the dwarf.

"So... what exactly am I signing here sir?"

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    that'd be a search check, not a spot check. tell me your modifier for search and I'll apply it to the 19 you rolled.

"Non-disclosure agreement. You won't blab about the rooms beyond to anyone. Magically enforced."

28. - Top - End - #58

Spoiler
    Show

Oh, even better then, my search is +4

Ishmael nodded once and started to actually read the paper.

"Magically enforced then like one of them geasesas and stuff wizards put on people you mean? Do I have to -lower my defences- as they say for the effect to take place or is just signing good enough? Also should I be compelled by another stronger magical effect to reveal something how would it work?" he asked to buy some time but also to actually know what he was signing.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

"You bind yourself to it voluntarily by signing it. As to if you're being compulsed by stronger magic... well.... I'd avoid that situation altogether if I were you. It would not be a pretty sight."

You notice several lists, calenders, memos, and forms strewn throughout it. One in particular stands out. You cannot read the label fully, but the part you can read says, "-cilitato-" and there is a list of names on it.

30. - Top - End - #60

Spoiler
    Show

Can I roll a sense motive to get a bearing on this guy? His overall demeanor is that of a glorified clerk but just want to make sure... also one of the "expanded" sense motive options is to check if someone is much higher, much lower or at your level range so I can check that as well if you allow it.

(1d20+6)[12] sense motive.

"Thank you for your answers. I also hope it wont ever happen but its good to be prepared... false tooth with ingested poison may be a better option than a magical curse heh" he said.

Ishmael had a last look at the paper and proceeded to sign it. But as he got ready to hand it over and head through the inner door his clumsiness got the best of him as he trips and he accidentally bangs his foot on the table and tries to stay upright by finding purchase on the table and spilling papers down in the process.

"oh my I am so so so sorry... I am just nervous about finally getting a job!" he exclaimed kneeling on the floor and starting to collect papers.

Spoiler
    Show

If there is a carpet I will go as far as to actually fall using it as an even better excuse.

and off course the actual reason for all this...

sleight of hand to try and hide the piece of paper into the folds of my clothes.

(1d20+11)[25] this is off course opposed by his spot...