New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: AvB - Ishmael

1. - Top - End - #901
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: AvB - Ishmael

"So what are you still doing here? Begging outside an empty bank in case the Gods decide to give alms to you?" he said indignatly.

"I am sure you have some mischief in mind begging out of an empty bank instead of trying to work like a proper citizen! You had better be off before I call the guard on you, you vagrant!" he said and started moving towards the door as if to knock

"Perhaps the management is still in!"
    Last edited by Monodominant; 2011-05-09 at 12:18 AM.
    AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

2. - Top - End - #902
    Titan in the Playground

Unfazed by your threat, all he simply says is, "I told you no one was here."

The other two shamble off out of sight.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

3. - Top - End - #903

Ishmael curses loudly, yet elegantly at the beggar and knocks once at the bank door while keeping an eye to ensure he is not ambushed.

If noone answers after a few moments he walks away after kicking some dust towards the beggar.

He leaves the scene and after a while loses himself in the crowd and then the shadows and returns to observe the beggar as he is impressed he did not even flinch at his threat.

4. - Top - End - #904
    Titan in the Playground

When you return, the "beggar" has seemingly transformed. Though he wears the same ragged clothes, gone is the slouch and manner of a humble beggar. He now stands tall, proud, and arrogant. An evilly curved knife is in his left hand.

He's still waiting outside the door.

The other two are nowhere in sight.

Spoiler
    Show
    assuming you approached stealthily.
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

5. - Top - End - #905

Spoiler
    Show

Yes off course, the point is to stalk him to his... hideout

but to be proper

(1d20+29)[42] hide
    (1d20+22)[28] MS

Ishmael frowns. It seems as if the man is now either waiting to attack someone or perhaps guard someone that will come out. He considers what he should do and decides to wait as the remaining two beggars may also be stalking or going to bring someone back.

He uses the magic of the hat and changes his appearance and clothing so that should he be spotted the connection is not immidiate.

For now he waits though he approaches as close as possible without breaking cover, his natural camouflage covering him along with the approaching dusk. He tries to find a spot that he is within reach of the door with a quick and short move while his back can be at the wall.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Titan in the Playground

Ten minutes later, four rather rough-looing characters exit the bank. You notice a trace of blood on the knuckles of one of the thugs.

"I take it the 'message' was delivered?" your "beggar" said.

"Yep. He'll pay up next week. Too spineless to do otherwise at this point."

7. - Top - End - #907

Spoiler
    Show

Oh wow! The beggar was the leader?

Ishmael remains quiet. He considers what would be more effective. Killing the beggar leader or the thugs. He realises it will be incredibly difficult to convince the banker that he is more of a threat after he has been beat up. He would either have to kill the banker, who is probably innocent up to a point, or show him he is more dangerous by punishing those that hurt him.

He stays there quietly to see if the men leave together or if they split up.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Titan in the Playground

The thugs split up and go their separate ways. After they're out of sight, the "beggar" resumes his disguise and ambles off.

9. - Top - End - #909

Cursing under his breath he decides to stealthly follow the beggar as the thugs might be easier to find later on. He follows the man maintaining the same distance so that he can fully see him and his movements.

10. - Top - End - #910
    Titan in the Playground

The man wanders around for a bit, begging here and there. A short while later, he walks into a house on Scale Street.

11. - Top - End - #911

Spoiler
    Show
    everything happens in Scale Street! this is where the apothecary also was!

Ishmael walks around the house checking for other doors, ground level windows and in general the exterior of the house. He also tries to see if any lights come from inside and if yes he then waits until it goes out again to indicate the person goes to sleep or prepares to Go out again.

12. - Top - End - #912
    Titan in the Playground

the house is dark. There are two front windows on the ground floor, as well as one in the back. THere is a front and back door.

13. - Top - End - #913

Ishmael breathes out and prepares himself mentally for what is about to follow.

He waits patiently, eating various foodstuff he has about him all the while, till the sun sets and if nothing has happened by then he carefully approaches the back door after peering through the window. He waits close to the door, hidden by the shadows for another hour or so trying to hear anything from inside or notice any strange movement from outside.

If he has seen nothing through the window out of the ordinary and if no light has been turned on he approaches the door and examines it and the lock for a good couple of minutes for any potential traps.

If he finds any he tries to disarm them. If he does not he tries to open the lock.

Spoiler
    Show

Hide: (1d20+29)[30]
    MS: (1d20+22)[39]

Search take 20 gives 24 total

If trapped disable device using the new tools: (1d20+15)[22]
    If not trapped or if trap is bypassed open locks using new tools: (1d20+20)[36]

The new tools are 2 sets of +5 to the relevant skills. Made by Hagan, usable 3/day

14. - Top - End - #914
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Did you forget about your cloak of hobbitkind?

Inside the windows, all he can see is a dusty sitting room.

The door has no traps that he could find. He successfully unlocks it.

15. - Top - End - #915

Spoiler
    Show

I actually did forget about it! Although I went through the eating process off course.

Ishmael puts a few drops of oil on the hinges and then careful walks inside closing the door behind him softly. He takes his time to allow his eyes to adjust to the less light and starts moving inside sticking to the walls so that his camouflage can hide him while using a hand to ensure he does not trip over anything or step on anything that may be broken.

He careful searches around the room for anything that may be a clue or of value and also to see what options he has.

16. - Top - End - #916
    Titan in the Playground

Ishmael notices that there is a fine rug on the floor and an old bookcase on one wall. There is little dust on either one.

The rest of the room seems to be coated in it.

Spoiler
    Show
    and if you don't mind, please generate about 10 d20 rolls for yourself.

17. - Top - End - #917

Spoiler
    Show

welcome back first of all :)

(1d20)[9]
    (1d20)[17]
    (1d20)[16]
    (1d20)[1]
    (1d20)[18]
    (1d20)[5]
    (1d20)[11]
    (1d20)[4]
    (1d20)[16]
    (1d20)[17]

The fact that the bookcase and rug are obviously either more... used or newer additions picks his interest. Ishmael walks very carefully trying to check every inch around the carpet and around the bookcase for any traps.

He then checks what kind of books are on the bookcase and only then checks the carpet, without stepping on it at first, and bookcase itself for traps and for anything substantial. For a second before checking the carpet he pauses and also looks at the ceiling considering that apart from a pit trap that the carpet could hide under it there is the possibility that a cage could be positioned above it to trap those stupid enough to step on it.

He also looks to see if there are any other doors leading in and out of this room.

Spoiler
    Show

I dont know if the above rolls were for anything like this but here are my actual active rolls :D

I essentially take 20 on searching around the carpet. Take 20 on searching around the bookcase and then take 20 on searching the carpet for any traps or possible trapdoors under it and then take 20 on searching the bookcase for any secret passages, things of value or anything else.

All search results are 24!

Hide : (1d20+39)[44]
    MS: (1d20+23)[32]

18. - Top - End - #918
    Titan in the Playground

The bookcase has a trap on it that launches a poisoned needle at anyone who pulls out the wrong book.

The rug had no detectable traps.

You're pretty sure that either a book titled "Incarnum Adventures" or one titled "Secrets of the Shimarrah" are set on a pressure plate to slide back the bookcase are reveal a hidden passage. The other is likely to trigger the trap.

The dust around the carpet indicates that it's freuently lifted up at one end.

Looking above, Ishmael notices the lurker crouching in the rafters, watching him.

Spoiler
    Show
    those rolls were for reactive rolls for you, to use when I need them. I'll use them in order, but I'm not gonna tell you how many have been used yet. Basically, I was lazy and had you roll secret rolls for me.

19. - Top - End - #919

Spoiler
    Show

Er... what exactly is a lurker? I had heard about something called a darkmantle but not about anything called lurker :)

What does it look like as far as Ishmael can see? Is it big or is the main power it has the element of suprise?

Ishmael eyes the creatures and draws his chain preparing to defend himself should the creature attack. Currently he is unsure if he could take it or not and if the purpose of it is to kill or incapacitate or even just to warn others about intruders.

Keeping an eye on the monster above him Ishmael tries to disable the poison needle trap so that should he choose the wrong book the needle would not hit him like last time.

After that he considers his options based on the results.

Spoiler
    Show

Depending on if I disarm the trap or not I will consider going via the carpet or the bookcase and also depending on what the lurker looks like what to do with it as I dont plan to touch the carpet while that thing is there...

disable device (1d20+15)[35] (using the item by Hagan on this trap)

Last edited by Monodominant; 2011-05-18 at 02:02 PM.

20. - Top - End - #920
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    darn dnd and their generic monster names. A lurker, as in, one who is lurking in the shadows. Not some obscure monster.

you disable the needle trap just as a knife from the man on the rafters strikes you in the shoulder for (d4+1)[4] and (2d6)[7]

21. - Top - End - #921

Spoiler
    Show

LOL. I thought it was some kind of monster that is stuck on the ceiling not that its an actual person! I would have focused on him instead!

But I am aware of him so how come its a sneak attack? Anyway, lets push on!

Ishmael manages to stiffle a cry of pain his tired brain only now revealing that the creature on the rafters is a man and not some form of beast as the shadows had inittialy made him think.

Without hesitation he draws a smokestick from his bandoleer swiftly and throws it on the floor and then takes the opportunity to hide in the shadows touching the wall while obscured by the smoke and draw his crossbow.

Spoiler
    Show

Free action: Draw smokestick from Bandoleer
    Standard Action: Use smokestick
    Move equivalent: Move into the smoke towards the wall so that he can hide with the camouflage and draw his crossbow (you can combine a draw weapon action with a move action right?)

Hide: (1d20+39)[48]
    MS: (1d20+22)[37]

Initiative: (1d20+6)[12]

22. - Top - End - #922
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Disable device requires you to focus on that. Ergo, him shifting to a new position and hiding gave him sneak attack.

He does not appear to see you.

Your turn.

23. - Top - End - #923

Ishmael smiles to himself now that the tables have turned.

He aims towards the man and shoots him with the crossbow and then dashes accross to another patch of shadows effectively trying to snipe at him.

Spoiler
    Show

standard action: shoot (does he count as flat footed?) (1d20+10)[16] in case of crit (1d20+10)[12]
    damage (1d8)[7]
    sneak (3d6)[13]

Move equivalent: move to another patch of shadows and rehide (-20 hide penalty for sniping)

(1d20+19)[37] hide
    (1d20+22)[36] MS

EDIT: and I designate him as my dodge opponent... my AC is 24 now :D
    Last edited by Monodominant; 2011-05-19 at 12:25 AM.

24. - Top - End - #924
    Titan in the Playground

You miss, but he does not see you. He fires blindly at where you used to be.

25. - Top - End - #925

The shooting match continues as Ishmael decides its time to bring out bigger more damaging weapons on the table. He quietly aims and throws his merciful dagger at his enemy and then once again darts back before waiting to see the results but his patience is wearing thin.

Spoiler
    Show

Standard: throw dagger (1d20+11)[24]
    if crit confirm (1d20+11)[30]
    damage (1d4+7)[8]
    sneak (3d6)[9]
    mercifull (1d6)[3]

All damage subdual

Move: move and hide with -20 for sniping

(1d20+19)[31] for Hide
    (1d20+22)[30] for MS

And designate him as my dodge opponent.

26. - Top - End - #926
    Titan in the Playground

Your strike lands squarely in his kidney, and he blacks out from the pain. Falling off the rafters, he hits with a solid thump.

27. - Top - End - #927

Ishmael winches seeing the man fall and hoping the fall did not kill him but more importantly that the noise did not alert anyone else.

He quickly moves towards the man and searches him for anything of value and removing any weapons he may have and also reclaims his dagger. He then uses his new pair of masterwork manacles to clasp his hands behind his back and then ties him with his new silk rope making a mental note that under no circumstances should he leave those here this time. He moves the man to the corner of the room and hides behind him.

He also checks the mans face to see if it is the one that pretended to be a beggar or a diffrent one and uses the hat to take his form, clothing and look.

Spoiler
    Show

use rope: (1d20+6)[11] (+2 for silk) - I may have a higher bonus on this but cant open the sheet right now... also cant recall if you roll this for me or if I should. Feel free to ignore it if its done by you but keep in mind I also used the manacles.

Having done that he waits quietly for a few minutes to see if anyone comes and then positions himself behind the unconsious thug and slaps him a bit trying to wake him up and pours some water on him.

"You see I did not intend to kill him mister but if you scream or make any noise believe me your comrades will be picking your pieces from this room..." he growled softly and menacingly.

Spoiler
    Show

If the "slapping around" does not work I guess I spend a point of spell energy to heal him 2 hp

Last edited by Monodominant; 2011-05-19 at 08:57 AM.

28. - Top - End - #928
    Titan in the Playground

He had 126 gold on his person, along with some masterwork thieves' tools. He has a masterwork crossbow and ten magical bolts. He also had four masterwork daggers hidden across his body.

Spoiler
    Show
    intimidate check to determine the potency of your threat.

29. - Top - End - #929

Spoiler
    Show

Heh intimidate... fun fun fun... I desperately need more skill points in... all skills!

(1d20+3)[14]

I dont suppose bluff would work here instead? If yes can I do that instead? I have +5 at bluff!

Ishmael slaps the man at the back of the head adding physical violence to the threat but maintaing the illusion that his hand is human and keeping the skulk card for later.

30. - Top - End - #930
    Titan in the Playground

"Go ahead. The Jacks will kill me if I squeal. And the Nightman tortures you first."