New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [Hourglass of Zihaja D&D 4e] Heroes on a Sea of Swords IC

Zekai's Map Shop
    The mousy young man behind the desk looks up at the towering gnoll's arrival. Oh, uh hi. Hello. How can I help you sir? he asks. He is veritably dwarfed by the shelves, stacks and furniture tottering and towering about him on all sides. There seems to be one lone path through the chaos to the back of the shop.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Kihtsah Darimil, Dervish of Adimas

Kihtsah breathes the smell of the market in deeply, enjoying the combination of a wide array of scents. "Yes, we should be able to find something here."
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

HAKHPUR at Zekai's

"Well, I want to know the price of detailed maps of the Qius Sea area. You see, I'm working work for Captain Shaur al-Farid... Did she happen to pass by here purchasing something similar?"

Hakhpur made his inquiries and questions with a genuine curious smile.
    Last edited by Belthasar; 2011-02-27 at 10:40 PM.
    ===================

My posting will be considerably slower from now on and during some months. Sorry about the inconveniences!

Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A: Lawful Good Human Sorcerer (3rd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-12
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-17

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

The Sultan's Palace
    As Amirah and Medinah approach the palace grounds, two imperial guards halt them. Do you have an appointment in the palace? If so, show your papers please. Otherwise, I must ask the pair of you to depart, says the one on the right, a half-efreet lizardman who wears the garb of a Dervish of Qirus. His silent companion is a human in similar garb.

Zekai's Map Shop
    She hasn't been by recently, no. But I am familiar with her. I am certain that, as an experienced captain of many years, she has most assuredly purchased sea charts here in the past. No ship's crew worth her salt would leave port without at least a somewhat reliable map. Is there a reason you'd like your own copies, sir?
    My Homebrew
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

5. - Top - End - #65

OldWizardGuy

HAKHPUR at Zekai's

"As backup, mainly," Hakhpur replies. "If the crew gets splitted by some reason, maps are always the key. Say, how much for a Qius Sea one?"
    ===================

My posting will be considerably slower from now on and during some months. Sorry about the inconveniences!

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-12
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-17

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Zekai's Map Shop
    Ah, I see. Makes sense, I suppose, won't question it, I'm no sailor. The Qius Sea? With or without estimated geography of the She coastline?

Hakhpur:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowing what you do of local politics, you know that She is the recently-made-common name for the Western Continent, from whence stem the she-da-zhong, the snake-men pirates who currently prowl the Qius Sea in great number.
    Last edited by Shadow_Elf; 2011-02-27 at 11:05 PM.
    My Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #67

OldWizardGuy

HAKHPUR at Zikai's

"Hmmm... The more the better I think, so I guess I'll be taking one of the maps with the estimated geography..."

After a while he adds: "Then, I'll probably take more than one..."
    ===================

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-12
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-17

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Zekai's Map Shop
    Alright, well, we've got two with that level of detail I think, sir. They should cost about 155 gold pieces each. Do you want em' both?
    My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #69

OldWizardGuy

HAKHPUR at Zekai's

"Only two copies of the detailed ones? I see... Then I'll be taking only one of them, please."
    ===================

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-12
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-17

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Zekai's Map Shop
    The apprentice moves over to one of the large stacks and carefully extracts a rolled-up tube with a wax stopper in the end. He moves back to the desk. Alright then, let me just record the transaction on the ledger... there we go! Enjoy, Hunter, and happy hunting! Kill a few 'zhong for us, eh?
    My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #71

OldWizardGuy

HAKHPUR at Zikai's

Hakhpur checks the map for a moment before taking his pouch out. "I see. It's really a detailed map."

After admiring his new purchase for a moment, he continues. "Here you go, one-hundred and fifty-five," says Hakhpur as he hands the gold to the shopkeeper. "And worry not," he adds with a small grin. "Erasing honorless trash is my speciality. Thank you for everything, and send my regards to Zekai for me. My name is Hakhpur of Lady Shaur al-Farid's crew."

After exiting the store, Hakhpur walks to the west, not too far, until he arrives at the Morningshade Road. He tries to blend with the people to gather information on any interesting inn or place to pass the time in the meantime.

"I wonder what everyone else is doing," he mumbles.

Spoiler
    Show
    Deduced 155 gold from my wealth, and received "Good Map."

Also: Streetwise check! (1d20+13)[31] This is to see if I can find info on any interesting inn (or something like that), not too expensive nor too dangerous.
    Last edited by Belthasar; 2011-02-28 at 02:00 AM.
    ===================

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-12
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-17

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_Elf View Post
    The Sultan's Palace
    As Amirah and Medinah approach the palace grounds, two imperial guards halt them. Do you have an appointment in the palace? If so, show your papers please. Otherwise, I must ask the pair of you to depart, says the one on the right, a half-efreet lizardman who wears the garb of a Dervish of Qirus. His silent companion is a human in similar garb.
    Amirah, Living Swarm

Amirah does a full reverence, her hand flowing from chest, to mouth, to brow. "The Gods smile on you, Soldiers of the Sultan," she projects in her most pleasant tone. "We work for Captain Shaur al-Farid, who is visiting the palace. My silent friend is her personal bodyguard. She's been worried about her, and all we wanted it to know is if everything is calm in the palace. Could you tell us if everything is fine inside?"
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2011-02-28 at 10:35 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Hakhpur
    Hakhpur learns all about the various inns and bars around town. Some are rowdier than others, but most are respected well enough. In particular, the most well mannered inn in town is the Aged Blade Inn; the best party-centre is the Crescent Moon Inn; and that the Broken Sign Inn is a bed of plots and treachery veiled in hookah smoke. The Smoking Lion Inn is too exclusive for Hakhpur to get in. Closest to his current location is the Broken Sign Inn.

The Sultan's Palace
    The dervish smiles at Amirah's gesture. There is but one God, little one, but I appreciate the gesture. All is well within the palace - the palace has been teeming with extra guards since the assassination attempt. The Qirusai looks a little ashamed at the mention of the assassination attempt. In the meeting room, not only is your esteemed Captain present and her famed First Mate, but also the sultan's personal bodyguard, Arqis Swiftpaw. You and your companion have nothing to fear.
    My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

The Sultan's Palace
    The dervish smiles at Amirah's gesture. There is but one God, little one, but I appreciate the gesture. All is well within the palace - the palace has been teeming with extra guards since the assassination attempt. The Qirusai looks a little ashamed at the mention of the assassination attempt. In the meeting room, not only is your esteemed Captain present and her famed First Mate, but also the sultan's personal bodyguard, Arqis Swiftpaw. You and your companion have nothing to fear.
    Amirah, Living Swarm

"Thank you, kind sir," says Amirah. "Your words should set my friend's mind at ease." Then, she sends a thought to Medinah, privately, "Is that enough? I mean, I could fly inside and check myself, but if I get caught, the captain will be unhappy."
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

15. - Top - End - #75

OldWizardGuy

HAKHPUR in the Morningshade Road

"Interesting," Hakhpur mumbles for himself. "There's currently plenty of options left for me to choose."

While he keeps the pace, his eyes subtly change to a darker color, deep purple. "Yes, I'll be needing the vision of the Falaqui now" he thinks. "Looks like most interesting place are the most risky ones..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Change my phase to Phase of the Falaqui to get a +2 bonus on Insight and Perception, leaving them both 18 (passive).

"I'd probably better get some information on that place," he mumbles.

Spoiler
    Show
    Once again, Streetwise check to gather any important info on the Broken Sign Inn.

EDIT: Rolled in the OOC thread and the result was 28
    Last edited by Belthasar; 2011-02-28 at 11:15 PM.
    ===================

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-12
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-17

16. - Top - End - #76

Rahman Shamis, Kobold Swordmage

Rahman takes a look around for any Kobold shopkeepers, regardless of whether or not they're actually look to be selling food or not.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2..."

"It all seemed harmless..."

Character Roster:

Ami Nakamura - Self Taught Sorceress [Sacramento Occult]

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Kihtsah Darimil, Dervish of Adimas

Searching the square, Kihtsah follows his nose and finds a keeper selling spicy meat kebabs, something right up his alley. Purchasing two, he finds Rahman again to share his find.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Hakhpur
    After asking around for a little while, Hakhpur learns that most regular folks tend to avoid the Broken Sign if they can, and that travelers are often drawn into the intrigues of the city's underworld if they dwell too long in the clouds of hookah smoke therein. Its overall not a very nice establishment, though it is purportedly a lot of fun on revel nights.

The Bazaar
    The nearest Kobolish vendor is a middle-aged Kobold who is selling specially designed contraptions for use on ships to deal with rat infestations. Alchemical reagents lure the rats in with undeniable foodlike smells, he explains as he shouts his wares to the world, and then when the rats consume it, they are driven mad and forced to violently abandon ship by charging into the ocean. The meat kebabs that Kihtsah buys are deliciously spicy - just the right ingredients and high-quality meat make them superb delicacies.
    Last edited by Shadow_Elf; 2011-02-28 at 11:55 PM.
    My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #79

OldWizardGuy

HAKHPUR arriving at the Broken Sign Inn

"No doubt," Hakhpur mumbles as he sees the dilapidated sign hanging above the inn's front door. "This is an intriguing yet dangerous place."

His expresion slowly turns into a grin. "I like it. I could kill two birds with a stone..."

Expecting to find both, a place to kill time and information about the pirates, Hakhpur opens the door and enters the inn.
    ===================

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-12
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-17

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Medinah

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    "Thank you, kind sir," says Amirah. "Your words should set my friend's mind at ease." Then, she sends a thought to Medinah, privately, "Is that enough? I mean, I could fly inside and check myself, but if I get caught, the captain will be unhappy."
    "That will not be necessary, but thank you for the offer Amirah. I am satisfied with the level of protection they currently provide, even if that is only because of a failed assassination attempt." She nods with approval to the guardsmen. "What do you wish to do now?"
    Currently playing: Jathal Darsha'an; Linie

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Teshiq

Teshiq watched quietly as his charges went their separate ways an observant eye watched Amirah as she pulled along the tinny at least what he always though Medinah as. He could not approve of their friendship the smallest frown perched for a moment on hips lips before his face returned to its usual placid expression he constantly worked to project.

The morning meditations completed before he left his small room aboard the ship. Unlike most of his companions Teshiq had no complaints of Kalam's humble fair. Sustenance was simply sustenance.

Teshiq moved across the deck disembarking with a simple nod to the ship's Quartermaster his simple brown robes billowed out for a moment revealing the armored vestments and armament of his profession. Among the bustling trade and mercantile opulence Teshiq felt out of balance for a moment with such wealth.

"Let the Third Path manifest itself to me." He murmured under his breath and proceeded from the dock looking for a place where he could offer some simple aid. Some might of called prowling for trouble but to him he simply wanted to restore the equilibrium.

Mechanics:
    Spoiler
    Show

Take 20 on Perception; looking for someone in need of his aid whether medical or martial in nature. Perception: 12+20 = 32

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Medinah View Post
    "What do you wish to do now?"
    Amirah, Living Swarm

"I dunno. What do you wanna do?" comes the almost automatic answer, as they drift away from the palace front entrance.
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2011-03-01 at 07:49 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Medinah

After pausing for a long moment of consideration, she replies, "My only suggestion, other than returning the goods we purchased to The Midnight Mirage, is that we continue our tour of the city. Perhaps this wealthy central district here will present some places or activities of interest."

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

The Broken Sign Inn
    As Hakhpur enters, his senses are immediately assaulted by a mixture of drug-carrying smoke and souring alcohol. Stains - no doubt from alcoholic drinks - feature prominently about the establishment, though the actual surfaces are quite clean. Though its awfully early on in the day to be in an Inn, two humans sit in one corner of the bar, smoking rustleaf through a hookah and speaking in hushed tones. Only two other tables are occupied. One features a lone figure sipping water, shrouded in a black cloak. The other has an odd pair, an aazlai who seems to have more than a little dao blood, and a kobold in sailor's kit but bearing no weapon. Around the aazlai's neck is present a familiar symbol that many of Hakhpur's companions might not recognize, but which he certainly does - a holy symbol of Johoum. The owner, a plump woman, greets Hakhpur with a smile. Hello there... what can I get for you today?

Dock Street Intersection
    With his passing knowledge of the area, Teshiq knows that one of the City of God's famous districts is the Healer's District, where kind priests help the sick and afflicted pro bono. He also knows that The Third Way is probably almost unheard of here - Daq is primarily venerated East of Alhurus Lake.

The Ministers' District
    As the day approaches noon, the district begins to get busier. For the most part, the traffic is household servants bustling towards The Bazaar to go shopping for fresh ingredients for the nobility's lunch and dinner. The servants are too busy to stop and chat with the two not-quite-women, so Amirah and Medinah quickly and boringly end up passing through the upper-class district and into the Temple District.
    Last edited by Shadow_Elf; 2011-03-01 at 05:17 PM.
    My Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #85

OldWizardGuy

HAKHPUR at the Broken Sign Inn

Hakhpur enters walking, aided by his staff. He notices everyone, but tries to not look at them enough. Instead, his glance goes to the owner.

"Greetings, madam," replies Hakhpur with a smile as he sits at the bar, with his possessions at his feet, taking care of them. "I'll be ordering a glass of wine, please."

While he waits, he will play a little with his fingers, caressing the top of the bar. "Heh, it took me a while to get a place to rest meanwhile... Some hours of walking non-stop surely leave my legs tired... Oh, and what do you have for eating?"
    Last edited by Belthasar; 2011-03-01 at 11:06 PM.
    ===================

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-12
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-17

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

The Ministers' District
    As the day approaches noon, the district begins to get busier. For the most part, the traffic is household servants bustling towards The Bazaar to go shopping for fresh ingredients for the nobility's lunch and dinner. The servants are too busy to stop and chat with the two not-quite-women, so Amirah and Medinah quickly and boringly end up passing through the upper-class district and into the Temple District.
    Amirah, Living Swarm

Gaking around, Amirah can't but feel dwarfed by the buildings of the temple district. She turns to her companion, and says, "They are pretty. But I don't understand these 'gods'. Like the guard, why did he say there was only one when so many have houses here? And why would anyone want to follow a Queen that they cannot see and doesn't bring larvae to the world?"
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2011-03-01 at 10:57 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Medinah

The Warforged cannot help but smile at her friend's comments. "I have often observed that humanoids act very territorially with respect to their chosen religions. In the guard's case, I believe he said that because this 'City of God' was established by the deity he worships. Which makes me quite curious as to how these temples to other divinites are regarded here...."

Before continuing, she pauses to visually absorb the rich aesthetics of the Temple of Akasha. "To answer your deeper question, my theory is that gods and goddesses are personified ideas, powerful ideas that represent and support fundamental principles of the cosmos. For example, Akasha here represents femininity and freedom while her companion deity Sunya represents masculinity and tyranny, both of which must exist and must have defenders if they are to continue to exist. This is, however, only a theory, and like you I am also godless, but only because there are no gods for me. I do not believe any of them are representative of who and what I am. Humanoids do not appear to have that difficulty."

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Teshiq, Healer's District

Teshiq set forth for the Healer's District looking a corner where he could offer his humble services to those who needed it, he tucked his symbol of Daq underneath his clothes against his bare skin. Better to not disturb the religious balance by introducing his own brand of thoughts.

He sat on an upturned box near a vacant corner and waited for the tenets Daq would send his way. His brown hood up and covered his face.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

The Broken Sign Inn
    The woman quickly comes back with a glass of wine. The glass itself has seen better days, but the wine is quite good, though it seems to have quite a bit more kick that a typical wine. To eat, dear? I'm afraid we've just got drinks until this evening, dear. The girls do evening shifts all through the night and into the morning, and they have to sleep sometime. So, what brings you here in the middle of the afternoon, apart from sore feet?

While he is being served his wine, Hakhpur suddenly feels an assault on his mind, trying to break in and read it. The attacker fumbles, however, and his mental defenses easily repel the attempt. He hears the kobold woman sitting next to the aazlai Johoumite across the room swear under her breath.

The Healer's District
    A small figure approaches Teshiq - probably just a child, or perhaps a middle-aged kobold. The figure wears robes, and he cannot see any exposed skin. Pleasssssse sir... pleasssssse help me... The voice is a child's, probably female. From his experience as a Hunter on al-Farid's crew, he can tell that the figure speaks Common with a Shean accent, though he cannot tell if it is the Asp or Cobra dialect that the figure is coming from.
    My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #90

Rahman Shamis, Kobold Swordmage

"Hm, interesting." Rahman said as he approached the stall, peering at the wares. "How fast does it work? Can you avoid rats contaminating a food source before they die?"
    Spoiler
    Show

"Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2..."

"It all seemed harmless..."

Character Roster:

Ami Nakamura - Self Taught Sorceress [Sacramento Occult]