New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1475
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: [BitP:R] BleachITP Reborn OOC Thread 15: Eye of the Tiger... Hollow

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Do note he can do that kind of rebuilding with one of his segunda etapa abilities, Patropolis, but the structures will be made of living tissue, primarily hollow bone. It's what the Palacio Real is made of.
    It has an organic look to it, and hopefully it can heal itself as well. But yes, I want that.

Oh by the way, Cuerva's District information is up. Send to the Envoys for Von Geister's approval.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    "It has impressive reach, Kazuma-san, but don't forget the hilt is far too blunt. And such a space around where you grip it. A skilled swordsman could take advantage of that.

Also, that pose looks ridiculous, and has 11.789 openings. At first glance.
    "

But oh so badass that it doesn't matter anyway.
    Last edited by Nicklance; 2011-05-18 at 11:36 PM.
    [Space for Hire...NOT!]

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    But while Vicente might not be the only person of scientific leaning in Las Noches, he's likely by far the one with the greatest intellect. I mean, he'd be the top 0.1% of IQs in the mortal world. He's supposed to be a super-genius, not just a genius. That's kind of the point behind this whole project. I'm almost crippled in my storytelling in the fact that I, myself, am not anywhere close to that level of intelligence. Especially in so many areas.
    This is something that's been bugging me for a bit, so I thought I'd bring it up, said thing being drawing a line between 'general intellect' and 'scientific prowess'. I'm not saying that Vincente isn't good at science, he obviously is pretty handy at inventing, but there's different kinds of intelligence and Vincente hasn't exactly proven himself a genius at them. I'm talking things like psychological, social, strategic, and so on and so on.

That Vincente takes to biological engineering so aptly is remarkable on it's own, considering I've seen no prior inclinations or study of it, but an omni-disciplinary genius level of intellect? A) I don't even believe that to be possible. B) That invalidates every other 'smart' character out there, especially the one's who are far more focused. (Take Genoveva for instance, she can understand science and what have you, be able to operate the equipment and what not but higher science is beyond her. Her massive IQ is fixated and focused on reading body language and people's moods, psychology, battle strategy, and battle tactics ((yes there's a difference in my mind)). Or, to put it simply, she's good at chess but REALLY good at poker for people who equate playing games to actual battle intelligence)

This is actually something I meant to ask before, but why do all of your characters that you say are intelligent tend to have omni-disciplinary tendencies? Or the one's focused on specific things (like Satoshi having mastered hundreds of martial arts styles)? Is it just an extension of natural ability or is it a skewed sense of how long it can take to 'master' something? Honest question, but I am interested about your response.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Because all smart people are like House. Or at least that's what Cracked tells me about what Hollywood/Television thinks smart people are.
    [Space for Hire...NOT!]

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nicklance View Post
    Because all smart people are like House. Or at least that's what Cracked tells me about what Hollywood/Television thinks smart people are.
    That's not a bad comparison actually. xD Hollywood Genius seems to be par for the course, and I'm wondering if that's what KD is aiming at.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Ettin in the Playground

Kazuo is is mainly an engineer, he took the easy way out to master the other disciplines and made googgles that do something give him access to a massive database.

And I guess I will have a building team with special tumors modifications to allow them to nudge the organic web of Las Noches to grow in the desired forms.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    This is something that's been bugging me for a bit, so I thought I'd bring it up, said thing being drawing a line between 'general intellect' and 'scientific prowess'. I'm not saying that Vincente isn't good at science, he obviously is pretty handy at inventing, but there's different kinds of intelligence and Vincente hasn't exactly proven himself a genius at them. I'm talking things like psychological, social, strategic, and so on and so on.

That Vincente takes to biological engineering so aptly is remarkable on it's own, considering I've seen no prior inclinations or study of it, but an omni-disciplinary genius level of intellect? A) I don't even believe that to be possible. B) That invalidates every other 'smart' character out there, especially the one's who are far more focused. (Take Genoveva for instance, she can understand science and what have you, be able to operate the equipment and what not but higher science is beyond her. Her massive IQ is fixated and focused on reading body language and people's moods, psychology, battle strategy, and battle tactics ((yes there's a difference in my mind)). Or, to put it simply, she's good at chess but REALLY good at poker for people who equate playing games to actual battle intelligence)

This is actually something I meant to ask before, but why do all of your characters that you say are intelligent tend to have omni-disciplinary tendencies? Or the one's focused on specific things (like Satoshi having mastered hundreds of martial arts styles)? Is it just an extension of natural ability or is it a skewed sense of how long it can take to 'master' something? Honest question, but I am interested about your response.
    Because it's a game about supernatural creatures? Because I like smart characters?

Satoshi had that mastery because he was over 500 years old. He'd had the time to do such a thing.

In the same way, Vicente's hundreds of years old. He's had time to build his knowledge up to become essentially an multidisciplinary scientist.

Kaito's "omni-disciplinary" in that he's a very smart kid who likes to study a lot of stuff. He's ahead of the curve, but it's just barely ahead.

Yoshi's focused on kido and technological engineering. He's still learning (hence why he's had to ask Kazuo for help and such).

And Masaru's a strategist over 4 centuries old.

Notice that? I specifically give greater intelligence to characters who have centuries to increase their knowledge base, building on already-existing aptitudes and inclinations. It's a combination of natural talent and honest studying.

And, you know, the fact that no one else is playing the Las Noches Scientist Guy, and hey, it's a fiction about crazy supernatural beings, so I'm not trying to adhere too closely to "real world" anyways.

EDIT: Yes, in short, "Hollywood Genius" is the idea, with the general justification of incredible lifespan.
    Last edited by KnightDisciple; 2011-05-18 at 11:48 PM.
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Titan in the Playground

I am now somehow imagining Taiki and Genoveva meeting for a weekly chess game.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    I am now somehow imagining Taiki and Genoveva meeting for a weekly chess game.
    Yes...'chess'.

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Titan in the Playground

In a different time, perhaps when they didn't feel a strong urge to rip out each others throats.

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Heya, tgva8889. Mind telling me OOC what does Taiki plan to have Aya realize the lesson of combat training while drunk?

I can only come up with these few possible reasons:

1) lower her inhibitions, meaning she'll be more willing to go all out against Takeshi

2) reduce her 'stiffness' so that she could loosen up, which compliments the Tai Chi swordplay her Zanpakuto spirits are training her for

3) Preparing her for the intoxification effect of Takeshi's Shikai.

4) Similar to #3, but also to rely less on senses that involve vision and hearing and use more feeling, which being high might sharpen.
    [Space for Hire...NOT!]

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kayne650 View Post
    Seiko paused, eying Yuuta.
    Looks like Sayuuta has a new challenger... >_>
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Toho has retroactive powers of awesome. He makes things that he hasn't done, and have already happened, better by his existence
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    If anything, the term should be What Would Toho Do?
    Of course, in all situations the answer is Be A Badass.

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Orc in the Playground

And now, with foreshadowing edited into my most recent Mortal World post, DEADTIME!

Surely the suspense must all be killing you. It's certainly not me thinking I'm the center of the universe or anything.
    My Homebrew
    Sick props to Akrim.elf for the rockin' Chouko-tar!

BitP: Reborn² characters!
    Madokapunk!

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryman View Post
    And now, with foreshadowing edited into my most recent Mortal World post, DEADTIME!

Surely the suspense must all be killing you. It's certainly not me thinking I'm the center of the universe or anything.
    The Butcher "Ahhh fresh meat!"
    [Space for Hire...NOT!]

14. - Top - End - #1184

The Butcher "Ahhh fresh meat!"
    The Smith "I will make weapons from your bones!"
    Spoiler
    Show

Toho has retroactive powers of awesome. He makes things that he hasn't done, and have already happened, better by his existence
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    If anything, the term should be What Would Toho Do?
    Of course, in all situations the answer is Be A Badass.

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Barbarian in the Playground

Certainly. Perhaps "Foreshadowing" was the wrong word. How about...sync? Not necessarily with Takeshi...but certainly someone else. Also,

Though...there are some things in that long rant that have indeed come to pass with Takeshi and other people. Though really...can't deny that I have, at least, certainly stirred things up.

What? Huh?

Bum chica.

Also, I totally work with someone that reminds me of Yuuta.

Masaru said not nice things about Chen. I think that would possibly anger Takeshi.
    Sir Dan Avatar by Mrgone!

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Titan in the Playground

Nicklance, I think you're overthinking it a little. Taiki wants Aya to fight drunk because when she fights Takeshi, his Shikai will force her to do so. She will have to be good enough to defeat stronger opponents while intoxicated if she plans to have a good shot at defeating Takeshi. At least, that's what he believes.

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Ogre in the Playground

tgva, nudge to Soul Society.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Do note he can do that kind of rebuilding with one of his segunda etapa abilities, Patropolis, but the structures will be made of living tissue, primarily hollow bone. It's what the Palacio Real is made of.
    Considering such tissue would be in immediate vicinity of death stone, I suspect it'd rather quickly counts as dead tissue. This forgetting for a moment that it's technically already biologically dead, and indeed, should be described as spiritually alive or dead. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post

"No such thing as genius. Just hard work."

This is a pet-peeve of mine, but intelligence doesn't equal genius. Ichigo in canon is pretty intelligent - but often, perhaps majority of time, when he's faced with spiritual things he's completely out of the loop, spacing out at worst of times. His Inner Hollow even mocks him about it - he's trying to process rationally things that he should react to from his spine.

To become any good, Ichigo has to train his ass off. Granted, he advances ridiculously fast - but even then you have to consider that his father had been covertly beating fighting skills into him from the time he was a kid. And while Ichigo eventually becomes the most powerful in the series, he never has much variety - indeed, it's safe to say he remains completely ignorant of most aspects of being a Shinigami throughout. He becomes really, really good at throwing massive amounts of Reiatsu at people, and that's it.

So, "genius" comes from practicing things. You might need some basic treshold of intelligence to start training, but after that, it's tertiary after quality and quantity of practice.

This means that a very intelligent person can be totally clueless, and a dumb person can be exceedingly good at something. To use my own characters as an example - I've tried to convey that Hannibal is thick as a brick. He ain't exactly sharpest pencil in the drawer, unless you mean in the sense that a sharp pencil will hurt more when it's jabbed in your eye. But he's a "genius" in Hakuda and Zanjutsu, because he spent 400 centuries fighting with and against worst scum of the afterlife. So unless you have even more experience, you can't realy expect to out-trick or outmaneuver him in combat. If you need to stop and think, he'll kill you, because he doesn't have to; it's all in his spine.

If you think hard enough of it, this is the reason why "genius" characters would fail in some fields of life. Vincente, for example, is a solitary predator who likes to hole himself in a laboratory, of course his social skills will suck. Ryouich and Masaru might have vastly greater skill in killing Hollows with Kido, but they don't look like they'd ever had patience for more esoteric aspects of the art, which is why Sayuri or Takeshi would know more about it. And on the flipside, since Takeshi has spend most of his (relatively) short life studying Kido, he'd have much poorer martial skill, head for strategy and human relations than any of the former three, despite being a "genius" on one field.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

19. - Top - End - #1189

For the sake of expedience, it can be assumed that any of the student characters who Nakahiro knows have been alerted about the planned meeting.
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Ettin in the Playground

Note: the scene is Sayuri's apartment really isn't meant for anyone to react to. It's just a private event that I've waited a long time to get off my shoulders.

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Is it just me, or is Las Noches also a place to have fun and fool around in? Even the Ghost King is throwing paper planes!
    [Space for Hire...NOT!]

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Ettin in the Playground

You should have seen it when it was a Harlequin novel.

23. - Top - End - #1193
    Orc in the Playground

"That's what she said."
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Your turn Kazuma. Oh by the way, no 'training montage' for Shishiou?
    [Space for Hire...NOT!]

25. - Top - End - #1195
    Pixie in the Playground

So,

I am just about getting around to posting. I still have to finish up some work. I am still aiming for tomorrow.

Can someone PLEASE tell me what time it is in each thread? I just dont want to make a mistake.

Soul Society:
    -how many days since the invasion and collapse? and when did Kido Corps have all that stuff go down?

Mortal World:
    -how many days since the Espada attacked?

Hueco Mundo:
    -How many days since Genoveva left (and/or when Las Noches towers all came to the center)

I really appreciate the help.

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Orc in the Playground

Your turn Kazuma. Oh by the way, no 'training montage' for Shishiou?
    Silly Nick. What he's doing is nowhere near 'training montage' material.

...it might in fact be better she doesn't know what he's doing...

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

27. - Top - End - #1197
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Considering such tissue would be in immediate vicinity of death stone, I suspect it'd rather quickly counts as dead tissue. This forgetting for a moment that it's technically already biologically dead, and indeed, should be described as spiritually alive or dead. XD
    It would be no deader than a spiritual entity locked inside a prison of sekiseki. Deathstone nulifies spiritual energy, it doesn't actually kill spiritual beings.

It is noteworthy that the majority of spiritual beings (including plus souls, rukon citizens, the tiniest of hollows and animals/plants of the spiritual world) have practically or absolutely no spiritual energy at all.

Sekiseki would disrupt Von Geister's ability to force it to grow, however.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaken View Post
    Silly Nick. What he's doing is nowhere near 'training montage' material.

...it might in fact be better she doesn't know what he's doing...
    Damn. Sounds bad. Don't break Aya's heart again
    [Space for Hire...NOT!]

29. - Top - End - #1199
    Orc in the Playground

Damn. Sounds bad. Don't break Aya's heart again
    Actually, it's more of a pride thing than a heartbreak thing.

EDIT: I'm reminded of something that may be interesting for the 12th... Hey Draken, how does Kazuo feel about weaponizing Sekkiseki?
    Last edited by Kuroimaken; 2011-05-19 at 09:48 AM.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaken View Post
    Actually, it's more of a pride thing than a heartbreak thing.
    No worries. I plan for a visit between our characters anyway. So its up to how things play out then.

Edit: I just want to confirm, is there no 4th Division Captain?
    Last edited by Nicklance; 2011-05-19 at 10:32 AM.
    [Space for Hire...NOT!]