New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default More about races...DnD 4E

Are there any books that go more in depth about races/classes than just the little bit you get in the typical books you'd find them in? I'm looking for more on the Wilden to be specific. I already have PH3.
    Let's get dangerous!!!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: More about races...DnD 4E

Some setting books may (though I don't believe there is any for Wilden). Otherwise, no, any extra fluff tends to be in Dragon.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Dragon Magazine. Two I can think of. One was about Wilden in general, and another was about a sub group of aberrant hunters.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FullofQuestions View Post
    Are there any books that go more in depth about races/classes than just the little bit you get in the typical books you'd find them in?
    Well, they started a line of Race books (PHB Races: Dragonborn and PHB Races: Tiefling) but they cancelled this, allegedly because it didn't sell enough.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Well, they started a line of Race books (PHB Races: Dragonborn and PHB Races: Tiefling) but they cancelled this, allegedly because it didn't sell enough.
    Would not be terribly surprised. A book based around a single race is probably low on the priority list for most groups.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Unless they have awesome feats like Imperious Majesty, Glasya's Charming Words, Dispater's Iron Discipline (daze/stun/dominate immunity), Belial's Secrets, and Royal Command of Asmodeus that I simply couldn't do without.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

If you have access to older edition stuff and don't mind using it, the 4E Wilden are pretty much a direct port from the 3.5 Killoren from Races of the Wild. That book should have at least a few pages of fluff you can use (or modify). Otherwise, just make stuff up. That's what D&D is about after all.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by rtg0922 View Post
    . Otherwise, just make stuff up. That's what D&D is about after all.
    This is pretty much the plan I was going with. Thanks for all the help everyone.
    Let's get dangerous!!!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    Would not be terribly surprised. A book based around a single race is probably low on the priority list for most groups.
    Especially since the two they picked were Tails-and-Horns and Dragonboobs.

I like both races just fine, but because of how they were presented as two of the first eight PC races instead of Gnomes and Half-Orcs, they get a lot of flak. And they're perceived as "weird" races, so they don't generally get picked as much.
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2011-03-21 at 06:36 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Especially since the two they picked were Tails-and-Horns and Dragonboobs.
    Funnily enough, the next Race book was going to be about the weirdest, most exotic and exclusive race that most players haven't even heard of...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Humans. Yes, you read that right, they were going to make a book to tell you how to play a human properly. No wonder it got cancelled
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Meh, they already did that with Races of Destiny.

Although perhaps some players really don't know how to play humans in the first place, hah!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Funnily enough, the next Race book was going to be about the weirdest, most exotic and exclusive race that most players haven't even heard of...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Humans. Yes, you read that right, they were going to make a book to tell you how to play a human properly. No wonder it got cancelled
    Shame; I was looking forward to that feat which would allow you to score an automatic critical hit on an AP sponsored attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    I like both races just fine, but because of how they were presented as two of the first seven PC races instead of Gnomes and Half-Orcs, they get a lot of flak. And they're perceived as "weird" races, so they don't generally get picked as much.
    Wait what? Tieflings don't get picked as much because they're weird? They're one of the best and in my experience most popular races out there, hands down, thematically and mechanically.

Shardminds and Wilden don't get picked because they're weird (and ugly).

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealistik View Post

Shardminds and Wilden don't get picked because they're weird (and ugly).
    I'm actually trying to figure out how their societies work.

Shardminds with their intelligence and longevity are fond of contriving these complex and complicated games that go on for centuries since they don't have anything like food or anything else to occupy themselves when they are taking a break from fighting the Far Realm, so their existence is literally centuries of playing weird complex games that only they know about while while fighting aliens. that and researching/learning stuff. and I've got an idea for a Shardmind Swordmage whom the other shardminds think is weird since he isn't using Psionics- oh maybe he did it to start one of those Weird Shardmind games where everyone else has to figure out which one is the Sword Mage and find him. Problem is none of the players can tell each other what they are looking for, can only figure it out by observation- can't ask them directly- while at the same time trying to keep the info out of other peoples hand while not destroying it because its not allowed int he game and other such rules that make things complex.

I've actually made this Wilden Warlock, Infernal Pact who because she accepted devil powers from her tiefling mentor who was fighting this far realm creature when they met and he was losing, she the Wilden got exiled from the rest of them for accepting devil powers from outside nature and now she has to struggle with her identity because she isn't a part of the collective Wilden anymore, she can't think of herself in terms of "we" and she is confused because of it, slowly starting to use "I" and being scared of that means.

So I must be really weird. Yay!
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

If you're open to third-party sources, Goodman Games had that series on various races.
    The not-so-secret identity of Nat1Advice.
    I also write more serious 5e content on my blog, TBM Games.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

For Wilden Fluff, find the Dragon Article that this guy Dancer was in. I totally forget which one...but I'm sure some light Googling will help you out.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DragonBaneDM View Post
    For Wilden Fluff, find the Dragon Article that this guy Dancer was in. I totally forget which one...but I'm sure some light Googling will help you out.
    Dragon 388. The Seedling Myth. DBDM says he's sorry he couldn't help more because he hates 'ugly' races
    Szilard has all of those sweet trophies for a reason. Awesome avatar is his handiwork.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Meta View Post
    Dragon 388. The Seedling Myth. DBDM says he's sorry he couldn't help more because he hates 'ugly' races
    Never said such a thing. Tried to change it, but he came at me like a spider monkey.

But yeah, the Dancer fluff is amazing. Makes me want to create Wilden NPCs.