New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Banned

Default Re: Monk... Why do they suck?

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderCat View Post
    Winged boots have an even shorter duration, phantom steeds are no less useless than carpets of flying, and most parties are going to have multiple useful members that don't get fly on their own.
    Winged boots take your own action, not the action of those trying to win the fight. Said other characters are also less gear dependent than the Monk, because everything is, meaning that they are more likely to have flying boots. And of course there is a 0% chance a VoP Monk has those things. Comparing Phantom Steed to Carpets of Flying is not a point in the flying spell's favor.

And just who are these multiple non fliers? They certainly are not Clerics, Druids, Wizards, or Sorcerers. They likely are not Psions either, or Favored Souls.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

So... Non-Tier 1 or 2 classes. Probably not Tier 3 classes, either. I think we're done here.
    Iron Chef Award!

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #123
    Banned

What really sucks about Abundant Step is that you can only do it once per day. And the Prestige, Tattooed Monk, sucks too. Only like 3 or 4 of the Tattoos are useful. The rest are that "Once per day" bull crap.

A Monk should have better BAB and Unarmored AC Bonus. Plus let them use Abundant Step 3-5 times per day. (Or like once per day per 2 levels of Monk)

They should automatically get Weapon Focus, and perhaps Weapon Specialization for their Unarmed Strikes.

I think these tweaks would bump them up quite a bit.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malevolence View Post
    And just who are these multiple non fliers? They certainly are not Clerics, Druids, Wizards, or Sorcerers. They likely are not Psions either, or Favored Souls.
    There happens to be 4 whole tiers beneath those. I think we already agreed that in a high optimisation environment, monks don't stand a chance, and the only way for them to be even remotely useful is to be able to do everything themselves, because wasting even a swift action on the monk is not worth it for anybody else.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sims View Post
    A Monk should have better BAB and Unarmored AC Bonus. Plus let them use Abundant Step 3-5 times per day. (Or like once per day per 2 levels of Monk)

They should automatically get Weapon Focus, and perhaps Weapon Specialization for their Unarmed Strikes.

I think these tweaks would bump them up quite a bit.
    Weapon Focus and Weapon Spec won't help at all. They're terrible feats, and giving them for free provides a negligible power boost.

If you want a "Monk fix", as has been stated many, many times, try Unarmed Swordsage.

There happens to be 4 whole tiers beneath those. I think we already agreed that in a high optimisation environment, monks don't stand a chance, and the only way for them to be even remotely useful is to be able to do everything themselves, because wasting even a swift action on the monk is not worth it for anybody else.
    High optimization has nothing to do with it. Even a blaster wizard preps Fly. If you're in a game with any kind of full caster, a monk gets outclassed.
    Last edited by TroubleBrewing; 2011-03-30 at 09:52 AM.
    Iron Chef Award!

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

All tier 1s and 2s can fly under their own power.

All casters can fly under their own power. For a few of them, it requires taking a feat or spell list expanding PRC to do so. For some, it involves summoning or creating a flying mount and riding it. Even the tier 5 paladin can cast a spell to let his mount fly.

That leaves:

Tier 3: Crusader, Warblade,

Tier 4: Rogue (can UMD a wand of fly), Barbarian, Scout, Marshal,

Tier 5: Fighter, Monk, CA Ninja, Healer (Can Gate in something to fly), Swashbuckler, Rokugan Ninja, Soulknife (not sure), Expert (can UMD a wand of fly), Knight

So of the 30 classes in the tier list, about 12 can't fly, and about 3 have difficulty flying.

That list doesn't include MoI, but I think they can fly. It also doesn't include Spirit Shaman, Wu Jen, Shukenja or Dragon Shaman, all of whom can fly. Samurai is tier 6 and cannot fly. Am I missing anyone?

Edit: Lets also point out that some of those (like Scout, and some Fighters), have good ranged combat ability. It isn't as good as just being able to take to the air, but they aren't shut out like a monk is just because a fight is happening 40 feet off the ground. Knight's challenge may be able to make their enemies come to them. Warblade and Crusader can give a caster an extra turn (WRT) so that it doesn't take time to buff them for flight.
    Last edited by Gnaeus; 2011-03-30 at 10:26 AM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Dwarf in the Playground

For the tier 3's: only SS gets flight normally (Balance on the Sky or Rising Phoenix, both 8th level stances). The others don't normally get the ability to fly, and would need a large investment of feats to get the stances (both requires 4 feats (3 pre-reqs each) and RP requires that you remain within 10 feat of the ground, while BotS requires that you keep one hand empty.
    Thanks to Vrythas for the awesome Myrddraal avatar.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by vikingofdoom View Post
    For the tier 3's: only SS gets flight normally (Balance on the Sky or Rising Phoenix, both 8th level stances). The others don't normally get the ability to fly, and would need a large investment of feats to get the stances (both requires 4 feats (3 pre-reqs each) and RP requires that you remain within 10 feat of the ground, while BotS requires that you keep one hand empty.
    Thanks Viking. I will amend.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

I have to say, while Monk 20 (or any amount of levels above 6) is bad, Monk 2 is pretty good.

It grants:
    • +3 to all saves.
    • 3 feats (IUS, Imp Grapple or Stunning Fist, and Combat Reflexes or Deflect Arrows) waiving all pre reqs.
    • Evasion (that functions in light armor).
    • 4+Int skill points/level
    • If you're unarmord, for some reason, you get Wis to AC and Flurry (although if you want this you're better off with a Monk's Belt)

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

It's... Not a bad 2-level dip. But I wouldn't call it good.
    Iron Chef Award!

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #131
    Banned

And three of those four are primarily defined by what they cannot do. The last, Tier 3 generally can either fly, or doesn't need to fly, because they can do something from the ground. A party of say... Beguiler, Crusader, Warblade, and Monk is hardly high optimization, but still mostly contains people that either don't need to fly or do but can provide their own flight. And in any case there's no flight casters here, because those are limited to the top two tiers with few if any exceptions. In such a party the Beguiler is going to be spamming save or loses, the Crusader is going to be flying and attacking, and WRTing the Beguiler, the Warblade is going to be doing much the same thing, and the Monk is going to be missing his own touch AC.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Elric VIII View Post
    I have to say, while Monk 20 (or any amount of levels above 6) is bad, Monk 2 is pretty good.

It grants:
    • +3 to all saves.
    • 3 feats (IUS, Imp Grapple or Stunning Fist, and Combat Reflexes or Deflect Arrows) waiving all pre reqs.
    • If you're unarmord, for some reason, you get Wis to AC and Flurry (although if you want this you're better off with a Monk's Belt)
    The only reason this is a factor is because beatsticks have to desperately hunt for any low hanging fruit they can find.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

The only reason this is a factor is because beatsticks have to desperately hunt for any low hanging fruit they can find.
    Agreed. While I would never personally play something so mundane, I think it can be useful to the magically-challenged.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Firbolg in the Playground

It grants:
    • +3 to all saves.
    Sure, if you ignore that you gave up a full point of BAB for it. This means later entry to a lot of prestige classes, late qualification for key feats, and just hitting less in general.

If you're trying to optimize a high save +evasion/mettle build, sure it may be worth it... but in that case there are better ways to go about it. Namely a charisma build with dips into Paladin and Marshall.

For any typical beatstick I'd still rather dip Fighter 2 and get two feats of my choosing without losing any BAB than dip Monk 2 and be restricted to 4 feats, only one of which is a generally taken feat (Combat Reflexes). Only reason I'd dip monk is if I was looking for the unarmed/unarmored combat and had an awesome PrC in mind.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    For any typical beatstick I'd still rather dip Fighter 2 and get two feats of my choosing without losing any BAB than dip Monk 2 and be restricted to 4 feats, only one of which is a generally taken feat (Combat Reflexes). Only reason I'd dip monk is if I was looking for the unarmed/unarmored combat and had an awesome PrC in mind.
    Monk 1/Druid 19. Not as good as Druid 20, but if you plan to be doing a lot of melee & grappling, its decent.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Awesome in spite of the monk level, not because of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Thats a little unfair. Improved Grapple and Wis to AC helps Druid a lot. It isn't worth losing a caster level for. But in campaigns without wildling clasps or before you can afford a Monks Belt, it is solid enough. Adding ranks in Know: Religion, Hide, Move Silently and Tumble don't hurt either. Know Religion helps to get into PRCs, and the druid often has available skill points.
    Last edited by Gnaeus; 2011-03-30 at 12:17 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Gnaeus View Post
    That list doesn't include MoI, but I think they can fly. It also doesn't include Spirit Shaman, Wu Jen, Shukenja or Dragon Shaman, all of whom can fly. Samurai is tier 6 and cannot fly. Am I missing anyone?
    Magic of incarnum classes can get some flight. Healer can get a companion that can fly or cast fly I believe.

Ranger I'm not totally sure on.
    Binders I'm not sure out side of the summoning vestige
    I don't think Shadowcasters can.
    Trunamers can unrealibly

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lans View Post
    Magic of incarnum classes can get some flight. Healer can get a companion that can fly or cast fly I believe.

Trunamers can unrealibly
    Rangers have at least 3 ways. Flying AC. Wildshape Variant. Summon Natures Ally 2+.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Banned

Thats a little unfair. Improved Grapple and Wis to AC helps Druid a lot. It isn't worth losing a caster level for. But in campaigns without wildling clasps or before you can afford a Monks Belt, it is solid enough. Adding ranks in Know: Religion, Hide, Move Silently and Tumble don't hurt either. Know Religion helps to get into PRCs, and the druid often has available skill points.
    Monk's Belt gives you everything from a Monk that matters. At levels before you can afford a 13k item, you also don't really need the bonus. Druids have no business ever PRCing, so that's a pointless point to bring up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lans View Post

Trunamers can unrealibly
    Rangers can just shoot from the ground.

21. - Top - End - #141

RedWizardGuy

I've spoken things over with my DM, who has a copy of Tome of Battle, and he's letting me be an Unarmed Swordsage, but without IUS as a bonus feat. Would it be worth a dip of Monk for this? If so, at what point should I stop?
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Teln View Post
    I've spoken things over with my DM, who has a copy of Tome of Battle, and he's letting me be an Unarmed Swordsage, but without IUS as a bonus feat. Would it be worth a dip of Monk for this? If so, at what point should I stop?
    That's....kinda stupid. Why would an Unarmed Swordsage not be proficient in unarmed strikes?

23. - Top - End - #143

RedWizardGuy

Because Unarmed is a variant class and the blurb that suggests the variant doesn't mention it. :rolleyes:
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

UA SS gives you Unarmed Strike as a monk. The description of the UAS class feature in the monk write up is thus:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD, Monk
    Unarmed Strike
    At 1st level, a monk gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. A monk’s attacks may be with either fist interchangeably or even from elbows, knees, and feet. This means that a monk may even make unarmed strikes with her hands full. There is no such thing as an off-hand attack for a monk striking unarmed. A monk may thus apply her full Strength bonus on damage rolls for all her unarmed strikes.

Usually a monk’s unarmed strikes deal lethal damage, but she can choose to deal nonlethal damage instead with no penalty on her attack roll. She has the same choice to deal lethal or nonlethal damage while grappling.

A monk’s unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons.

A monk also deals more damage with her unarmed strikes than a normal person would, as shown on Table: The Monk. The unarmed damage on Table: The Monk is for Medium monks. A Small monk deals less damage than the amount given there with her unarmed attacks, while a Large monk deals more damage; see Table: Small or Large Monk Unarmed Damage.
    Emphasis mine. So...yea...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

25. - Top - End - #145
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Herp the derp.

To answer your question...still no. Spend a feat slot on IUS if you have to, since you do explicitly get the Monk's unarmed strike progression. A level is more valuable than a feat slot.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Monk's Belt gives you everything from a Monk that matters.
    1. False. It doesn't give imp grapple, which helps druids.
    2. It doesn't clearly give imp unarmed strike ( one assumes that it would, but...)
    3. It doesn't clearly give wis to AC. Most Playgrounders assume that it does, but some DMs rule otherwise, and PF clarifies that it doesn't if you are in a PF game. I'm not arguing the RAW either way, just saying that it isn't something you can count on.
    4. Esp if wilding clasps aren't available, DM could rule that some forms can't wear the rope belt.
    5. Intelligent enemies may notice that your bear is wearing a rope belt, and Sunder it, which would suck.

At levels before you can afford a 13k item, you also don't really need the bonus.
    That is only under 1/2 WBL at level 8. Druids may want to be in melee before level 8. They may also have other things to do with their WBL. Or they may be in a campaign that gives less than WBL. Or it may be a game with no magic marts. You could craft one, but not until 10th level and you would need a Cleric to help.

Druids have no business ever PRCing, so that's a pointless point to bring up.
    Sacred Exorcist is often used as a dip to get DMM. It requires know religion. Whether or not this is beneficial depends on build. My party members love my mass lesser vigor (persisted) every morning. YMMV.
    Last edited by Gnaeus; 2011-03-30 at 01:41 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

Sure, if you ignore that you gave up a full point of BAB for it. This means later entry to a lot of prestige classes, late qualification for key feats, and just hitting less in general.

If you're trying to optimize a high save +evasion/mettle build, sure it may be worth it... but in that case there are better ways to go about it. Namely a charisma build with dips into Paladin and Marshall.

Actually, to clarify:

Evasion gained early means you also gain access to two ACFs early, which are both good: Invisible Fist (invisible, not under the effect of invisibility, once every 3 levels) and Spell Reflection (uses your immediate action to reflect any touch spell that doesn't hit you, 1+Dex times per day). It also works if you need Evasion despite having replaced it on another class (say, Rogue or Ranger or Scout), and at least Invisible Fist is phenomenal on Rogue/Monk builds because it grants a very reasonable, easy to use form of invisibility for your sneak attacks, which lasts for the entire round so it allows for sneaky full attacks. It's also worthwhile if you want early Evasion, which should be decent because Evasion is more dangerous early on.

Fighting styles and a few loosened restrictions outside of Core also aid a lot. Example: Passive Way grants Combat Expertise without the Int requirement and Invisible Eye grants Combat Reflexes (although you still benefit from a high Dex). It's slightly more restrictive as it only offers a trio of feats that might not be so hot (I mean, one offers vanilla Dodge, Mobility and Spring Attack on six levels...), but it doesn't limit you to only four choices. If you want, you can also add Monastic Training (the needed feat to enter Tashalatora), or Fiery Fist and the Fiery Fist line as your 2nd level feat (if you choose Stunning Fist). Plus Stunning Fist is great if you know how to use it or optimize it (Ability Focus and Freezing the Lifeblood offers a solid paralysis ability that sneak attackers and just about anyone will appreciate).

However, it's not a dip anyone will make. It's great for some concepts (if using Rogue for the ninja concept, a Monk dip is ironically phenomenal), but not for others (such as your typical beatstick, which may take advantage of a Fighter 2-6 dip for the feats).
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

I'm not suggesting it's 100% better than a Fighter dip (it's not like I would require someone to take Monk when Fighter will work), but if you need what it offers, it's great. Plus, there's an ACF that lets you pick Fighter bonus feats in place of Monk feats, that's half of the prereqs for Mo9 right there.

Sacred Exorcist is often used as a dip to get DMM. It requires know religion. Whether or not this is beneficial depends on build. My party members love my mass lesser vigor (persisted) every morning. YMMV.
    It requires 7 ranks, so the normal Druid entry for it is level 15. With the Monk dip it becomes level 10.
    Last edited by Elric VIII; 2011-03-30 at 01:54 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

It requires 7 ranks, so the normal Druid entry for it is level 15. With the Monk dip it becomes level 10.
    I thought it was 8 ranks. Lets assume you are right.

Pure druid= 2 ranks at level 1+ 1/2 per level so level 11 (or 13)
    With a dip=4 ranks at level 1 + 1/level so you could meet it by level 4 (or 5). Of course, you won't have the other prereqs by then. Druid can spend 2 skill points per level to stay at the maximum.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

I thought it was 8 ranks. Lets assume you are right.

Pure druid= 2 ranks at level 1+ 1/2 per level so level 11 (or 13)
    With a dip=4 ranks at level 1 + 1/level so you could meet it by level 4 (or 5). Of course, you won't have the other prereqs by then. Druid can spend 2 skill points per level to stay at the maximum.
    So, I completely messed up my skill point calculations by using level -3 rather than level +3.

You can get the required spell by level 8-10 (either a 4th or a 5th level spell), but how does a Druid get access to Dismissal or Dispel Evil?