New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Viva la Resistance! [D&D 3.5 Rebellion Game]

"We've heard it told that the Duke's hiring out for sellswords. We're here to see the truth of that. As you can no doubt see, we're as fine a band as might ever be had for a silver price. Besides, even if our rumor were untrue, we're sure to pay our custom at the inns, for we've ridden with haste to be here." Garth gives the guardsmen a knowing look and lowers his voice just a bit. "Besides, between you and me, they say the Fist might be coming, and they're sure to be wanting more swords even if no other bladework's to be had."
    Snickett avatar by me.

I draw custom OotSatars. I'm wearing one now, and you can check out samples in my Gallery.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Yeah, we're looking into job offerings."

Using Naberius binding to take 10 on bluff check: 10 + 10 = 20

EDIT: Darnit, Telasi, you posted while I was typing! (Or not, and I just missed the new page of the thread.)
    Last edited by gourdcaptain; 2011-04-02 at 11:26 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Crutch tries to remain an unobtrusive part of the group.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

The man nods a little, then a grin spreads across his face as he says, "Well... if yer about ter get paid, then ya won't mind payin' five golds for passage, now will ya." Then, looking at the rest of the group a for a moment, he turns back and adds, his grin widening, "That's each. 5 gold each, or ya'll have ta wait 'til mornin'." The rest of the guards around him nod appreciatively, looking at you expectantly.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quick check - how unusual of a bribe/toll amount is that (Given average salaries for non-adventuring peasants in many worlds are measured in less than 5 GP per year)? Would passing 5 GP indicate we have more GP than someone who would take the sorts of jobs we are implying we are taking?
    Last edited by gourdcaptain; 2011-04-04 at 09:58 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36

Kobold

@gourdcaptain
    Spoiler
    Show
    I rolled your knowledge (local) check, and this is what you learn about it:

Recent small jobs paid for by the Duke of Escon and other nearby aristocrats have been worth up to 20 or even 50 gold for a short time.

So no, it wouldn't be out of the question for an adventurer near here to have that much, but it could still represent a fairly large amount of your belongings, especially if you're just considering what you happen to have on you at the time

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

I look very slightly irritated, dig into my pocket, and pull out 5 GP and hand it over.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Aaron had tried to stay unobtrusive through talking to the guard. He had made sure he had approached dismounted, holding his horse's reins.And he had been quiet, his oaths prevented him from lying, but he could let others talk for him. Even if he felt wretched about it. But five gold pieces! He could afford it, they had just gotten money from accepting this task. But was it a justifiable expense? Waiting till morning might be safer, they would stick out less and it wouldn't be as much of a strain on their pockets. There was no safe way to communicate with the others about this either. He let out an internal sigh, it looked like he would be stuck following their lead.

9. - Top - End - #39

Garth looks the guard directly in the eyes, his left hand casually coming to rest on the scabbard of his sword, just below the hilt. "You miss the mark if you think a man whose business is war fears you. Name the true toll, and I may yet spare you a coin, but do not think to rob me."
    Snickett avatar by me.

I draw custom OotSatars. I'm wearing one now, and you can check out samples in my Gallery.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Crutch hands over five gold and sidles pointedly away from Garth.

11. - Top - End - #41

Kobold

The man smugly takes the money from those who hand it over, but upon Garth's insolence, he becomes angry. The guard takes a step towards Garth as he takes out his sword and says, his face not a foot from Garth's "the toll is what i said it was. Now hand over yer gold if ya know what's good for ya. And if you don't wanna... well I guess then we have a problem, don't we?" He snarls at his last question, even as his voice takes on a mocking tone.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

Since you've said that binder abilities are pretty stealthy (please tell me if I'm wrong), if the guard tries to actually attack Garth (doubt that he will) I'll have a readied action to command him to drop the weapon. (DC 14 will save to resist).

13. - Top - End - #43

AssassinGuy

The elf stands quietly by as the guard argues with hus new teammate, also trying to avoid the fee if possible.

14. - Top - End - #44

"It would appear so," Garth replies, all warmth leaving his voice as the guard draws his sword. "You seem intent to leave me no choice in this matter. Garth's slowly withdraws five gold coins from his purse and moves as if to hand them to the corrupt guard. Suddenly, he whips his shield from beneath his cloak, the sable hydra blazoned on it momentarily outlined by a flash of moonlight off the steel surface. Garth swings a vicious body-block at the guard, simultaneously hurling the fistful of coins into his face. He calls back to the others, voice calm. "Go on, I'll be right behind."

Spoiler
    Show
    Karmic Strike active. Swift: Punishing Stance. Move: Retrieve coins and draw shield. Standard: Sapphire Nightmare Blade with a shield bash, going for non-lethal damage.

Concentration vs. AC: (1d20+7)[8] If successful, +2 to the attack roll (I assumed the failure penalty below) and he's flat-footed, plus an extra (1d6)[1] damage
    To-hit: (1d20)[4] Crit 20/x3 (Confirmation if needed: (1d20)[3], +(2d4)[6] damage)
    Damage: (1d4)[3] + (1d6)[3]
    Last edited by Telasi; 2011-04-05 at 11:54 PM.
    Snickett avatar by me.

15. - Top - End - #45

Kobold

The guard dodges the blow and yells "Ya filthy rat! I'll have you killed dead!" He advances towards Garth, sword ready as he commands to the other guards, "Let him alone. I wanna kill 'im myself." And with that he yells and attacks.

Everyone:
    Spoiler
    Show

I rolled the initiative. The order is

Garth
    Elrik
    Aaron
    Crutch
    Grun
    Guards

So really, just post what you do when you're on to speed up combat, and redo it if someone else's actions make yours pointless or non-sensical

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

Command to make the guard drop the sword (challenge someone to honorable one on one combat, and then drop/throw your own sword away. Nice way to look like a fool) - DC 14 will save to negate, and stealthy to boot!

Then back away.
    Last edited by gourdcaptain; 2011-04-06 at 09:58 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47

AssassinGuy

How many other guards are there and how far away are they?

18. - Top - End - #48

"Come and try, then." Garth draws his sword and meets the guard's advance, swinging his sword in a simple attack to gauge the guard's defenses.

Spoiler
    Show
    Karmic Strike active. Move: Draw longsword and move to melee if necessary. Swift: recover maneuvers. Standard: attack.

Longsword: (1d20+6)[22], crit 19-20/x2 (confirm: (1d20+6)[10], (1d8+3)[4] damage)
    (1d8+3)[9] + (1d6)[5] damage.
    Last edited by Telasi; 2011-04-07 at 11:10 AM.
    Snickett avatar by me.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Moron. There would be words if he survived the duel. His anger was putting the entire mission at risk. And Aaron knew he still couldn't let him die. He slowly mounted his horse, keeping his movements slow to avoid anyone jumping to conclusions.

"If anyone moves to interrupt the duel, I will stop them. And that goes for everyone."

Spoiler
    Show
    I mount my horse (take ten) and ready an action to charge anyone who tries to interfere with the fight.
    Last edited by Lord Ruby34; 2011-04-07 at 04:30 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Crutch rolls his eyes at all the posturing and fades into the background s much as possible.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

Personal thoughts:
    Sigh. Why do so many think that the best way to oppose their enemy is charging in kicking and screaming?

Ever since Elrik had been visited on that fateful night by his... patron... his abilities he'd been impressed by the subtle nature of the abilities granted to him. No easily detected and marked as heretical lightning bolts, just the ability to make eye contact with someone and have them do something. While his compatriot may be yelling that anyone who interferes will be cut down by him, he doubts anyone will assign blame if a suddenly clumsy guard drops his blade. And duels of honor tend to go badly for the said clumsy people (barring freak "I'm actually a hidden monk" incidents).

His missions until now had been more of the espionage sort (the papers and the rest of the resistance stilll haven't figured out why that minor noble appeared in public to denounce the nobility, career suicide on a stick). They'll all pay for what they did... but it's not time to get righteously angry.

Note to self: Powers may make for interesting betting opportunities at local underground fights. Just don't do it too often so people make the link to the odd, supernatural, or just think you're paying fighters to take a fall. Especially the later - supernatural abilites may scare people off - but being suspected of riggging the game just gets your legs broken by the mob.

EDIT: Rewritten to add a bit more material.
    Last edited by gourdcaptain; 2011-04-07 at 06:54 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52

Kobold

The guard looks badly injured as Garth carves a huge gash in his left arm, but he still has some fight left in him. Breathing heavily, he swings is sword at Garth and misses spectacularly, fumbling as he falls backwards to the ground from a combination of pain and the realization that this was not a battle that he could win. He looks back up at Garth standing over him with his blade, with a look of loathing and an expectation that he could be killed.

The rest of the guards are restless, many looking as though they want to get in on the action, but they don't due to the threats of retaliation and to follow the man's orders to not interfere.

Spoiler
    Show
    The guard is at 1HP and is lying prone.

23. - Top - End - #53

Garth points his sword at his opponent. "You will not win this battle, not alone. Yield, and survive it."

Spoiler
    Show
    Karmic Strike active. In Punishing Stance. Standard: readied action to initiate a maneuver if any of the guards attack.
    Snickett avatar by me.

24. - Top - End - #54

Kobold

The guard breathes a small sigh of relief, inaudible to everyone but Garth. Then, putting back on his posture of resolve, he glares at Garth and says "Fine, ya can pass tahday, no charge." He throws all of the money he had collected from the rest of the part at Garth's feet as he stands up and backs away. Then he smiles and says in a mock welcoming tone, "Enjoy yer stay in Ivydale, sir," as he gestures for you to enter through the gates.
    Last edited by FlamingKobold; 2011-04-09 at 03:02 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Wow. You actually pulled that off." Elrik says as he picks up the coins he'd given over earlier. (Also - did my Command fire or not, and did he save?)

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

"Let's go, lingering here too much longer doesn't seem like a good idea."

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Crutch leaves the coin and turns to the town.

28. - Top - End - #58

Garth hands the wounded guard a coin from the handful he retrieves from the pile. "Get that arm looked at. It would be no kindness to spare you a quick death for a slow one." With that, he follows the others into town.
    Snickett avatar by me.

29. - Top - End - #59

Kobold

As you walk through the town, you see several candles lit in windowsills, by people who heard the commotion. The streets have a guard on every corner, and as you pass, many of them look at you, and especially Garth, with a mixture of uneasiness and awe as they reach down and take a firm grasp on their hilts.

You entered into the merchant district of Ivydale, a large space with winding, curved streets that don't really make a lot of sense. The buildings on either side of the road have signs that identify them as shops and inns.

@gourdcaptain
    Spoiler
    Show
    He saved. Sorry, I should've mentioned that.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

Are there any public bulletin boards that would have announcements and job postings on them?