New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Re: Physics Project Ideas

Coil Gun = Gauss Rifle.
    And that's actually harder to do than a Railgun, because you need to get the timing between the coils right, require a ferromagnetic projectile, prevent your coil/capacitor units from becoming an oscillator, make coils that survive a few Amperes blasted through them (if you go the low resistance way) or work with much higher voltages (if you use bigger coils with lower current) which restricts you to the use of regular capacitors (SuperCaps wont survive more than 2-3 Volts), plus all the power troubles you have with a Railgun already.
    Last edited by Autolykos; 2011-04-17 at 04:44 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Bowshttp://www.instructables.com/id/Disp...amera-coilgun/ plus you only need 1 coil it is for a demonstration right?
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sagara
    It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
    I did not lie, I wilfully participated in a campaign of misinformation

Murdered by Furthur Maths.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I did a harmonograph for a physics project. See youtube. It uses rotary motion and the ratio between the length of the legs to make beautiful pictures.

You can make a large, large variety of pictures by adjusting the ratios of the lengths of the pendulums. The coolest part, in my opinion, is that the most well behaved picture ratios correspond to the standard harmonic ratios of music (the Pythagorean ones). It is like drawing musical harmonies!