New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: My Little Pony IV: Friendship is Sufficiently Advanced Technology

Now I'm confused and concerned. What does it mean then when people say they clop, or that they clop for ponies? I thought that was just a parody of clap?
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Now I'm confused and concerned. What does it mean then when people say they clop, or that they clop for ponies? I thought that was just a parody of clap?
    Well, when some people say "clop" they mean "clap", but when others say it they mean... let us say another word ending in ap. It really depends what sort of parts you hang around.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    ... that has a different connotation among the fanfic community... as in clopfic.
    It's funny because now I won't be able to see the word "Clap" the same way ever again.

Edit:
    Suffice it to say that the term emerged from 4chan. It's an onomatopoeia for masturbation; equine version of "fap".
    Last edited by Castel; 2011-04-03 at 03:48 PM.
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    Given the connotations that word has garnered in the fanbase...

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

I... buh... wha... I am blown away that I got fanart. This is awesome.

I sort of agree with you about the eye thing. I think the iris and pupil need to be a little larger, and there's something ever so slightly off about the perspective.

But... I don't care much about that, because I GOT FANART. WOOOOOOOOO.

Next time I submit a chapter, I'm asking the Equestria Daily guy to put that up, spoilers be damned.
    I love your fics sir, but with that image?

20% cooler. At. Least.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Congratulations on writing something awesome enough to inspire fanart. If ever you needed validation of the kickassery (sorry to use an industry term in a casual thread) of your ideas, that would be it.

Clap, clap, clap for you!
    I believe this is called for:

Spoiler
    Show

...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Curse your Introbulosity!

6. - Top - End - #276

Okay, so I have a ponytar now, but I'm not entirely sure what to call him. I have two names I'm having trouble deciding between: Daybreak and Stormfront. I think I'm leaning toward Daybreak, but still can't quite decide. Help? I mean, if that's all right and all. I wouldn't want to bother you.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Banned

"oh my stars that's terrible!"
    *kicked in the head*

Haha ha! That's awesome.
    Spoiler
    Show
    bint threw me off a little as well, but I just chalked it up to an overly dramatic fashion jerk being insulting. His resolution is staggering, considering [I]he was kicked in the face by a horse[I/] but the story wouldn't work without it. Interesting. So like Twilight's hook obsession or Applejack beating a dead tree, I'll just assume Hoity Toity got the short end of the stick in a game of idiot tag this episode.

I can't comment on the (zebra) avatar. I keep thinking "that zebra must be a wizard!" because of the lightning bolt on his flank.
    Damn LARPing.
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2011-04-03 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Clarity

8. - Top - End - #278
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ScionoftheVoid View Post
    Okay, so I have a ponytar now, but I'm not entirely sure what to call him. I have two names I'm having trouble deciding between: Daybreak and Stormfront. I think I'm leaning toward Daybreak, but still can't quite decide. Help? I mean, if that's all right and all. I wouldn't want to bother you.
    I like stormfront better, unless the cutey mark IS a sunrise, I can't tell.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

9. - Top - End - #279

I like stormfront better, unless the cutey mark IS a sunrise, I can't tell.
    It's a sun behind dark clouds.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Troll in the Playground

If that's the case, I'm partial to Daybreak.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ettin in the Playground

How about Daycoming?
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Daybreak sounds better to me.

I'm writing a MLP fanfic and doing a RP of MLP at the same time. Haha!

How do you write Apple Bloom's accent?
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

You casn make him a french pony call him Le Jour Se Leve? (Daybreak)

14. - Top - End - #284
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Orzel View Post

'I' and 'my' become 'Ah' and 'mah' and that's pretty much it. Everything else is word choice, really. Just be sure to make it clear it's applebloom, and the reader should be able to head her voice.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Introbulus View Post
    *Ahem*

Forgive me if my review is a little sparse. A trojan horse took over my web browser in the middle of trying to write this, and I had to start all over again. -_-; Let the world know that I hate computer viruses, and wish horrible things upon the people who program them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hoity Toity seems just a little off-character in this story. He's always been a massive fashion snob, but this story seems to draw him as some kind of unmovable object in fashion critique, not even affected in the slightest by being imprisoned. And I feel like the use of the word "bint" is at odds with his more refined sensibilities, so it's not as if it's just taking his snootiness up to 11, it just seems like he could be portrayed a little better.

Luna, for her part, shows a side of her that is surprisingly believable. She DID, after all, spite the world with eternal darkness, so showing anger towards being snubbed for her fashion is something that I could actually see happening.

I guess for a more comedic story, exaggerated personalities works, but it just takes me out of the story a bit. Though I suppose if we looked into Luna's inner dialogue, we might see more of her sordid past, and it's possible that Luna's fashion sense really IS just so bad that it's worth getting thrown in prison.

I do love the guest appearance by THE GREAT AND POWERFUL TRIXIE at the end though.
    Spoiler
    Show
    bint threw me off a little as well, but I just chalked it up to an overly dramatic fashion jerk being insulting. His resolution is staggering, considering he was kicked in the face by a horse but the story wouldn't work without it. Interesting. So like Twilight's hook obsession or Applejack beating a dead tree, I'll just assume Hoity Toity got the short end of the stick in a game of idiot tag this episode.

I used "Bint" because it's British-sounding, relatively nonoffensive swear wise and appropriately dismissive and insulting for a pony who simply does not care about the fleshbags who move the dresses around. I would love a better one, if anypony can think of one.

I figure Hoity Toity is one of those characters who doesn't really need much else. He reviews fashion, he gives his honest opinion, and he's got a little bit of wisdom about creating from the heart.

Thanks for the feedback

16. - Top - End - #286
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    I used "Bint" because it's British-sounding, relatively nonoffensive swear wise and appropriately dismissive and insulting for a pony who simply does not care about the fleshbags who move the dresses around. I would love a better one, if anypony can think of one.
    Doesn't that word mean something along the lines of, "Daughter of," as an element of Arabic female names?

I dunno, Hoity always struck me as someone who would use lengthier, extremely inoffensive swears. Like, "Fudgesicles," but classier. "Quellazaire," (cigarette holder) might work.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, I get the hint. I wasn't too happy with it anyway.

In other words, can someone post a picture of a pony standing on two legs? Or give me time/episode where this happens? Preferably holding something in the front hoof, too?

Oh, and I wonder - are OCs frowned upon in fanfics? If so, what is better - to add an IC so that the main character has someone to speak to, or have her monologue?
    Above Us Only Sky

18. - Top - End - #288

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Doesn't that word mean something along the lines of, "Daughter of," as an element of Arabic female names?
    Huh, I didn't know that. I just remember a british guy using it in a dismissive tone.

I dunno, Hoity always struck me as someone who would use lengthier, extremely inoffensive swears. Like, "Fudgesicles," but classier. "Quellazaire," (cigarette holder) might work.
    Ha! It's obscure, but I kind of like it

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Irbis View Post

Oh, and I wonder - are OCs frowned upon in fanfics? If so, what is better - to add an IC so that the main character has someone to speak to, or have her monologue?
    According to the EqD submission guidelines, yes. I personally don't like them.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

20. - Top - End - #290
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Orzel View Post

Like someone else said, I and My become Ah and Mah, though you don't capitalize Ah the same way you would I.
    Also, if you have Applejack and Apple Bloom talking together, Applejack's accent is much stronger- she has a greater tendency towards southern sounding colloquialisms and metaphors. Apple Bloom has the pronunciation of a southern accent, but otherwise you could replace her dialogue with Sweetie Belle or Scootaloo and not notice a huge difference.

As for someone else's questions about OCs, I think they're fine as long as they know their place. Like, if for some reason you need someone who runs an ice cream shop, make up someone to run the ice cream shop. If you need Scootaloo's dad to show up, have him show up. But the story shouldn't be about them, if you want people to pay attention to it. For any OC, condense their personality down to a couple of traits (like, verbal patterns, basic behavioral patterns) and drop them as soon as they've served their purpose.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-04-03 at 06:09 PM.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

21. - Top - End - #291
    Troll in the Playground

I figure Hoity Toity is one of those characters who doesn't really need much else. He reviews fashion, he gives his honest opinion, and he's got a little bit of wisdom about creating from the heart.

Thanks for the feedback
    I get the feeling he wouldn't use a single word to describe them. He'd be more colorful about it. Possibly calling them "airheaded foals" or something similar.

See, I could see Hoity doing something like what he does in the story, but all the same I think he'd at least give Luna the benefit of the doubt before casting her aside.

Then again...he is hard to please. So you might be onto something there.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Wait, somebody wants ta know how t'do a' Apple Bloom an' Applejack accent? Well, tain't too hard. Not fer me at least. Y'see, I'm from Miss'ippi, so I kin actu'lly speak with a purty good Suthern accent. If you want, now, ah kin translate the dialogue fer ya. Just tell me what ya need, an' I can rewrite it up fer y'all in proper Southern twang.

*coughs*

Urgh, I hate trying to actually write out the dialect of my homeland. It makes the Literature Major in me weep bitter tears. And no, I don't actually sound like that in real life. I was just providing an example of what one would normally hear around where I'm from. My speech is actually write proper, though I do use words like y'all, fixin' to, ain't, and a few other common terms.

Off the top of my head, here's a quick guide to Southern lingo:

Ain't - is not, are not
    Y'all - you, you all
    Fixin' ta - About to
    Varmint - pest
    Ah, Mah - I, My
    'bout - About
    Dagnabbit - Darn it
    Gall-durned - gosh darned
    Yeehaw/*holler* - wee/yay/w00t

Wait, do people say Holler outside the South? Its another word for yelling or screaming.
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Troll in the Playground

Fair Feather Friends, I think. I'll try to find a link on Equestria Daily. Here's the link! :D

On ED.

Instead of one click away. Three times in the last two days.

You know what? :/

I give up.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

Wait, somebody wants ta know how t'do a' Apple Bloom an' Applejack accent? Well, tain't too hard. Not fer me at least. Y'see, I'm from Miss'ippi, so I kin actu'lly speak with a purty good Suthern accent. If you want, now, ah kin translate the dialogue fer ya. Just tell me what ya need, an' I can rewrite it up fer y'all in proper Southern twang.

*coughs*

Urgh, I hate trying to actually write out the dialect of my homeland. It makes the Literature Major in me weep bitter tears. And no, I don't actually sound like that in real life. I was just providing an example of what one would normally hear around where I'm from. My speech is actually write proper, though I do use words like y'all, fixin' to, ain't, and a few other common terms.

Off the top of my head, here's a quick guide to Southern lingo:

Ain't - is not, are not
    Y'all - you, you all
    Fixin' ta - About to
    Varmint - pest
    Ah, Mah - I, My
    'bout - About
    Dagnabbit - Darn it
    Gall-durned - gosh darned
    Yeehaw/*holler* - wee/yay/w00t

Wait, do people say Holler outside the South? Its another word for yelling or screaming.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xczDd2_X0DI Well, Holler is in Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy's vocabulary.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Yep. It (at least around here) typically has a more informal bent to it. Like, you might tell a guest, "Holler if you need anything," if you're going to be in another room, but if someone was injured and screaming in pain you wouldn't describe it as, "Hollering."

You also see the occasional, "Ain't." Heck, I use, "Y'all."

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post

On ED.

I give up.
    I'm sorry, Trixie. Don't know what else to say, but I'm sorry your feelings keep getting hurt.

27. - Top - End - #297

I've only ever heard the word "Holler" in real life when my ST was doing a fake southern accent.

@ darthbobcat: Your sig, what you did there, I see it.

EDIT:

@ Trixie: Everypony loves Trixie.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-04-03 at 07:44 PM.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

On ED.

I give up.
    :( Great and Powerful Trixie, I'm terribly sorry! Please share with me whatever it is you want to share!

I...I still love you. :(
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #299
    Troll in the Playground

I've only ever heard the word "Holler" in real life when my ST was doing a fake southern accent.

@ darthbobcat: Your sig, what you did there, I see it.
    Oh good, I'd have been disappointed if you hadn't noticed it eventually. I'm proud of being the first person to ever try to figure out what Meanie-pants would be in Latin.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Banned

On ED.

I give up.
    Consider it a traffic bump to keep ED going.
    Also, your first post is somewhat intimidatin' hon. There's such volume there, ain't no one willin' to really plumb your depths, an all.
    Ugh, now ah'm I'm doin' it. Ah well, leastways it's not m' ol' brogue.
    Took years to wipe that from me tongue. DAMMIT, that wasn't intentional
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2011-04-03 at 08:00 PM.