New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony IV: Friendship is Sufficiently Advanced Technology

Quote Originally Posted by 1dominator View Post
    Confound these ponies, they drive me to write fanfiction!

Well... I contemplating writing MLP fanfiction and since I have never written creatively before (and I mean EVER) this is a real accomplishment on the part of MLP and it's creators. But there is one thing I am unclear on, is Equestria the entire world or just the particular Kingdom that Celestia rules? Judging by the ponies' reactions to Zecora, the lack of development in Ponyville (which is literally IN SIGHT of the capital) and the intro scene I am leaning towards it being just one country, but I would would like to know what you fellows think
    Heh... you're asking us about MLP economics and histiography?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...49&postcount=5

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...thkey=CPHAnesD

2. - Top - End - #512
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've always liked the idea of non-anthropomorphic intelligent life (an idea severely under explored), that was one of the distinguishing parts of His Dark Materials. My current hypothetical plot features an Equestrian archaeological expedition to a desert somewhere since I have always liked the Arabian Nights mythos and it will be a chance for me to actually make use of my Arabic classes (after all if ponies speak English it's not unreasonable to assume other linguistic parallels).

3. - Top - End - #513
    Banned

Has the phrase "what in equestria?" come up in the show, or only the fiction? Because you could say "what in the world" was the parallel where "what in Canada!/europe!/Australia!" just doesn't make as much sense.

I am ofthe opinion that equestria is the world (whether a globe depends on other factors) and am uncomfortable thinking each region has it's own celestial bodies. It's just as plausible to say "each country has it's own sun/moon" as it is to say "equestria is round and the sun and moon are pushed around it" though, Which irks me beyond reason.

Woah there, I thought you were dead!

You kidding? My people have survived for generations on whiskey and hate. It's like my own personal 'delay death' spell.

... I don't understand how you are even awake right now, let alone alive. Let's get youth a hospital.

I ow'anna. 'm fine. *slump*

Sorry, everypony. He's not always like this.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There isn't a really elegant solution that makes engineering sense and plot sense. I like my explanation because it explains why you would have something producing smoke while not powering the train with what produced the smoke, but that's just me.
    Ooh! Ooh! (waves hoof in the air) Pick me!

(deep breath)

Well, clearly Appleoosa is a pretty small place. There isn't much call for large train journeys, and so the trains set to go there are pretty small and weak-only enough for a few carriages, which is MORE than enough.

But this time, we have a carriagefull of extra ponies and a TREE!
    The poor engine couldn't cope. But with the aid of the ponies, all is well!

Now excuse me while I douse my brain in liquor to remove the thought of a Thomas the Tank Engine/MLP crossover.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Ogre in the Playground

*shakes fist at the thread*

Hey! No fair! I wanted to post all these pictures!

Oh, well, let me post something for Pinkie's fans, then

Spoiler
    Show

Derpy sees all.

And to show Trixie she wasn't forgotten:

Spoiler
    Show

Above Us Only Sky

6. - Top - End - #516
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Has the phrase "what in equestria?" come up in the show, or only the fiction? Because you could say "what in the world" was the parallel where "what in Canada!/europe!/Australia!" just doesn't make as much sense.

I am ofthe opinion that equestria is the world (whether a globe depends on other factors) and am uncomfortable thinking each region has it's own celestial bodies. It's just as plausible to say "each country has it's own sun/moon" as it is to say "equestria is round and the sun and moon are pushed around it" though, Which irks me beyond reason.

I will admit it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, but nuts to that! As a writer I now enjoy THE EDITORIAL PRIVILEGES OF A GOD!!! A GOD! DANCE YOU PUPPETS DANCE! MUYAHAHAHAHAHA!

Woah there, I thought you were dead!
    (S)He got better!
    Last edited by 1dominator; 2011-04-05 at 07:59 AM.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 1dominator View Post
    I've always liked the idea of non-anthropomorphic intelligent life (an idea severely under explored), that was one of the distinguishing parts of His Dark Materials. My current hypothetical plot features an Equestrian archaeological expedition to a desert somewhere since I have always liked the Arabian Nights mythos and it will be a chance for me to actually make use of my Arabic classes (after all if ponies speak English it's not unreasonable to assume other linguistic parallels).
    If you roll with the idea that the Sun and Moon are localized around Equestria and roll through giant underground tunnels or something, you'll have a desert pop up naturally around the spots where they emerge and descend, and a super-arid zone close to it (think Crematoria). Which is a really cool visual, IMO. Heck, maybe Appleloosa is on the outskirts of one of these deserts.
    Last edited by AlterForm; 2011-04-05 at 08:14 AM.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes. Check what Mayor says in WWU.

But, Equestria can't be world, as the characters too often say "xxx is best in Equestria" for things that are not even close to being best in the world. Furthermore:

Dear Princess Celestia...
    I am happy to report that the dragon has departed our fair country, and that it was my good friend, Fluttershy, who convinced him to go. This adventure has taught me to never lose faith in your friends. They can be an amazing source of strength, and can help you overcome even your greatest fears.
    Always your faithful student,
    Twilight Sparkle.
    If 'Equestria' is the world, then name for this country wasn't mentioned even once, which makes no sense.

I am of the opinion that equestria is the world (whether a globe depends on other factors) and am uncomfortable thinking each region has it's own celestial bodies. It's just as plausible to say "each country has it's own sun/moon" as it is to say "equestria is round and the sun and moon are pushed around it" though, Which irks me beyond reason.
    Nah, my fan theory is the world is disc-shaped, and like Discworld has a small sun/moon circling it. Yes, Celestia rules a big part of it, but not all. She has no power over the lands wholly within her domain, like Everfree forest.
    Last edited by Irbis; 2011-04-05 at 08:17 AM.
    Above Us Only Sky

9. - Top - End - #519
    Bugbear in the Playground

this is such a nice and interesting rendition of "Cupcakes" (the pinkie song, not the fanfic)

I think somepony should rewritemodify the lyrics to suit this version.

edit:
    his remix of Parasprite Polka is also good.
    Last edited by Kairaven; 2011-04-05 at 08:54 AM.
    "Winning with friendship means winning at life!"
    -Mako Mankanshoku

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ogre in the Playground

Speaking of countries/continents/worlds...

Where the heck do foreign accents come from? I mean, sure, it makes sense that there would be regional dialects of whatever language is normal in Equestria (country speak and mid-Atlantic accents abound), but some ponies seem to have accents which imply that their native language is not ponyEnglish.

Lotus (the spa pony) speaks with what is described as a Northeastern European accent.
    Zecora (who isn't even a pony exactly) speaks with an African accent and talks about her native land
    Photo Finish. Just...Photo Finish.

Just plain confusing.

11. - Top - End - #521

Quote Originally Posted by DeadManSleeping View Post
    Speaking of countries/continents/worlds...

Where the heck do foreign accents come from? I mean, sure, it makes sense that there would be regional dialects of whatever language is normal in Equestria (country speak and mid-Atlantic accents abound), but some ponies seem to have accents which imply that their native language is not ponyEnglish.

Lotus (the spa pony) speaks with what is described as a Northeastern European accent.
    Zecora (who isn't even a pony exactly) speaks with an African accent and talks about her native land
    Photo Finish. Just...Photo Finish.

Just plain confusing.
    We've had this debate. It was spectacular. I will link you to it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post

12. - Top - End - #522
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There isn't a really elegant solution that makes engineering sense and plot sense. I like my explanation because it explains why you would have something producing smoke while not powering the train with what produced the smoke, but that's just me.
    Actually, the engine pulls the weight of the train just fine all by itself. What we're seeing is a brutal example of Ponyvillian mob justice. Those particular ponies comprise a gang of vicious outlaws that terrorized the outskirts of Ponyville for years. If you'd been there, you'd agree that being tied to a train engine and forced to run until they collapse from exhaustion is almost too good for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

13. - Top - End - #523

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Actually, the engine pulls the weight of the train just fine all by itself. What we're seeing is a brutal example of Ponyvillian mob justice. Those particular ponies comprise a gang of vicious outlaws that terrorized the outskirts of Ponyville for years. If you'd been there, you'd agree that being tied to a train engine and forced to run until they collapse from exhaustion is almost too good for them.
    You always have the coolest logic. Where can I buy your brand of awesome logic?

14. - Top - End - #524
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerlord View Post
    The first four or so paragraphs of my Heroes of Might & Magic III/MLP crossover. I fully welcome your criticisms, hopefully with the help of that I can iron this thing out into something halfway decent.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ponies of Friendship and Magic: The Restoration of Equestria

Twilight Sparkle was just finishing her study of a map of Everfree Forest, in preparation to place some strange signs reading “WARNING: QURANTINE IN EFFECT AROUND FOREST” some servants of Celestia had recently delivered. Twlight wondered why after all these years and consistent evidence that most of the stuff in their was trouble, with the exception of Zecora, only now was Celestia ordering it blocked off. Suddenly Spike came in. “Twilight, new message delivered from Princess Celestia.” he opened up the letter and began to read it aloud “My Faithful Student Twilight, I have decided to shrink the quarantine zone slightly, you are now to arrange the signs in a circle around these coordinates, ...” Spike paused to look at the coordinates, before just showing it to Twlight and saying “Where would these be?” Twlight, upon looking at the coordinates and turning back to the map, suddenly realized something very odd. The new zone was extremely small, at most a mile in length. Now why would Princess Celestia seal off such a small area, while the whole forest was a deathtrap??

Several hours later, having procured assistance from Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie to assist her and Spike in setting up the signs, Twilight was just putting down the last sign when she noticed Pinkie was nowhere to be seen. “Dash, where is Pinkie?” she said. Rainbow Dash, having been occupied hammering,well, more like trying to hammer, a nail into a post, raised up her head to look around. Upon realizing Pinkie was nowhere to be seen, she shrugged. “Pinkie? Pinkie!” shouted Twilight. “Over here!” shouted a voice from within the zone. Dash rushed over while Twilight looked over to Spike, who was hammering in a post at a far better rate then Dash was, and said “Stay here and work on the posts.”

“Shiny.....” said Pinkie as her gaze transfixed on the strange rift before her. It appeared to be circular, slowly spinning counterclockwise. The color of it appeared to be constantly changing, and all manners of noises, some more frightening then others, constantly emerged from it. “Pinkie!” shouted a voice, who then turned out to be Twilight emerging from a bush, followed by Dash. “Pinkie- WHAT IS THAT?!” shouted Dash upon viewing the rift.

Twilight examined the rift, she saw everything Pikie had noticed about it, and turned over to the two and said “My theory would be some kind of rip in the fabric of the space/time continuum, possibly caused by a massive amount of magic amassing up in one area and suddenly disappearing.” “So..... it is a giant boo-boo in the world that happened because someone put a lot of magic in the area and then just swiped it all away?” said Pinkie. Twilight sighed and said “Just like that. Anyway, I bet it can be easily fixed with some patching.” Twilight then turned to it. Her horn began to glow with the usual arcane magics she was applying to it, a little work and this rift, undoubtedly the reason Princess Celestia ordered the quarantine, would be fixed . However, instead of calming down it only worsened, suddenly growing and shrinking and folding in and out. Lightning and fire began to flash around it in various forms. “Now might be a good time to RUN!” shouted Dash just as a blinding light of flashing colors suddenly shot out from it in all directions.

Malekith examined his army from the cliffs. They had just proven Nighon superiority to some pathetic human village that refused to obey the Dungeon Overlords and put the populace to the sword. Now his army was ready to return home to plot more conquests. He prepared a spell of Town Portal, the very moment he cast the spell however, he could tell something was very wrong. By that point however, it was too late. The last thing he saw before losing consciousness was a blinding light of flashing colors suddenly shooting out from around him in all directions, exploding with potentially deafening bangs.

EDIT: Wow, the paragraphs looked a lot bigger in the text document.
    EDIT2: I just discovered I misspelled Twilight every single time in that document.
    Spoiler
    Show

First, let me say I am totally charmed by the premise. I don't think I've ever seen a HoMM3 crossover, much lesss with MLP. That said, I'm not sure there's a lot to say. What you have so far is the 'set-up' portion of the fic. There's nothing wrong with it, and the character's don't seem to be that out of place, but without further development it's hard to tell.

As a set-up, its not bad. It gets us to the action in four paragraphs, which is well done, as one problem that can pop-up in crossover fics is taking to long to get to the crossover. The only real objection I can think of is I'm not sure about the positioning of the overlord, if this is taking place during the restorations wars, then Nighon's army is mainly in Erathia, as such, going all the way back to Nighon itself doesn't make a lot of sense. It might work better if it read "Now his army was ready to return to-their (forward base/ field command/ outpost in the region) to plot more conquests."

15. - Top - End - #525
    Troll in the Playground

Twilight and Trixie have their own explanation for how earth ponies can pull a train and produce steam. ((Language warning)

Edit:

Kyrospawn made This after I requested it.

This was my reaction.
    Last edited by Trobby; 2011-04-05 at 11:35 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Curse your Introbulosity!

16. - Top - End - #526
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Something I just noticed about Over A Barrel:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The whole plot is started off by replanting a tree, right? So why do they chop down part of the orchard at the end rather than replant it?
    GNU Terry Pratchett

17. - Top - End - #527
    Ogre in the Playground

Probably the other apple trees are too old to transplant easily.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EvilDMMk3 View Post
    Something I just noticed about Over A Barrel:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The whole plot is started off by replanting a tree, right? So why do they chop down part of the orchard at the end rather than replant it?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe after getting the buffalo in on the deal, the increased ease with which they can harvest the crops offsets their need for the entire orchard?

It's also possible that they had to do it because there was literally noplace else to put them.

The short answer though is that they simply had to compromise.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Curse your Introbulosity!

19. - Top - End - #529
    Troll in the Playground

They cut the scene where Bloomburg was cut down.

Applejack (sobbing): NO! BLOOMBERG, AH'M SORRY! AH BROUGHT YOU OUT HERE JUST TA KILL YA! (Applejack picks up an axe) AH'LL GET REVENGE FOR YA! REVENGE! REVENGE!

Braeburn: ... uh... you gals mind takin' cousin Applejack home to calm down?
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

20. - Top - End - #530
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

What happens when you cross Heavy Weapons Guy with Ponies?
    My Little Fortress happens.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Ouch.

My ears hurt.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

22. - Top - End - #532

I was holding onto that in case the next thread name was the Team Fortress one that has been been coming in second or third in the voting. Oh well, I still have stuff to unleash on the nineteenth of April and May the fourth.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Clockworkchaos View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

First, let me say I am totally charmed by the premise. I don't think I've ever seen a HoMM3 crossover, much lesss with MLP. That said, I'm not sure there's a lot to say. What you have so far is the 'set-up' portion of the fic. There's nothing wrong with it, and the character's don't seem to be that out of place, but without further development it's hard to tell.

As a set-up, its not bad. It gets us to the action in four paragraphs, which is well done, as one problem that can pop-up in crossover fics is taking to long to get to the crossover. The only real objection I can think of is I'm not sure about the positioning of the overlord, if this is taking place during the restorations wars, then Nighon's army is mainly in Erathia, as such, going all the way back to Nighon itself doesn't make a lot of sense. It might work better if it read "Now his army was ready to return to-their (forward base/ field command/ outpost in the region) to plot more conquests."
    Good point, should fix that. And yes, takes place during the Restoration Wars.
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2011-04-05 at 12:27 PM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

24. - Top - End - #534
    Ogre in the Playground

Poor Beartato. Not strictly MLP but Nedroid is always relevant.
    Last edited by Jahkaivah; 2011-04-05 at 12:35 PM.
    Steamname: Atheist God, if you're lucky.

25. - Top - End - #535
    Ogre in the Playground

Ooookay. I am way behind with this thread ... like I'm still on page 42 of the last thread. So screw that. Did I miss anything amazing while I was failing to catch up?

Also, Kairaven made me a pony~ Yay~

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Irbis View Post
    Ow, the other one locked already? Dawww.

Though, I like the spin. I can't believe we kept talking about our beloved girls like they were horses there for even a day, the horror
    Quote Originally Posted by Crown of Thorns View Post
    Read the title as "My Little Girlfriend".

Pickelhaubes are hard to draw.

EDIT:

It's Spike, silly! He's a little girl!
    Wait wait wait ...... wut?
    Last edited by Hawkflight; 2011-04-05 at 12:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate
    Psychology has nothing to say on the courtship of dragons, but science will surely catch up in time.
    Spoiler: Previous Avatars!
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Spoiler: Characters
    Show

26. - Top - End - #536
    Ogre in the Playground

Thread title was changed to "My Little Girl IV: [...]" for April Fool's Day.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkflight View Post
    Wait wait wait ...... wut?
    Thread was title "My Little Girl" for April fools day, and the picture in the first post was the main cast as humans.

Ninja'd.
    Last edited by Kris Strife; 2011-04-05 at 12:47 PM.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Mah ears. Ya'll done broke them.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

29. - Top - End - #539
    Pixie in the Playground

BTW
    I've done some itty bitty researching.

Since it appears that 4 bits can get a bag of apples

And an average bag of apples at Wally World is anywhere from $1.50 to $2 USD, I'd wager that one bit could be something like a $.50 piece.

just my thoughts on the matter. ^^;

30. - Top - End - #540

Ah, I've been waiting for this for a while.

Her theme kicks ass. It captures... ze magicks!
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."