New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Girl IV: Friendship is Sufficiently Advanced Technology

Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    Or Dinky could be an adopted pony Derpy brought home from Pony-'Nam.
    not if you are keeping to Gump parody.... Besides, pretty sure Fandom confirms that Dinky is of blood relation to Derpy
    Last edited by Kairaven; 2011-04-01 at 04:14 PM.
    "Winning with friendship means winning at life!"
    -Mako Mankanshoku

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kairaven View Post
    not if you are keeping to Gump parody.... Besides, pretty sure Fandom confirms that Dinky is of blood relation to Derpy
    You caught me. I haven't actually seen Forrest Gump. But I did hear the Weird Al Song...
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

3. - Top - End - #63

Default Re: My Little Pony IV: Friendship is Sufficiently Advanced Technology

...So glad I posted that now. I might be more glad if I had ever finished seeing the film, but never mind.
    Last edited by ScionoftheVoid; 2011-04-02 at 08:35 AM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kairaven View Post
    oh wow, that so explains why Derpy is a single mom to Dinky. And that though she's a simple mail pony at a small pony town, she actually is a multimillionair tycoon of a thriving muffins industry...

edit: that means Dinky's father is an unicorn? named... Genny?
    The only question this raises is how the child was able to be conceived and raised without Derpy realizing it. In a world full of magic, there has to be a solution to this.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    The only question this raises is how the child was able to be conceived and raised without Derpy realizing it. In a world full of magic, there has to be a solution to this.
    That's where I was thinking the adoption angle would work.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Derp?

(/10characters)
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    That's where I was thinking the adoption angle would work.
    But I wouldn't want to break up the sweetness of the Derpy/Dinky relationship you get in having them be biological mother and daughter.

A thought occurs. Derpy is, in a late term of her pregnancy, involved in an accident. In the hospital, an emergency operation is deemed necessary to save the child. Derpy seems unlikely to make a full recovery, and Genny comes back into the background of the story to take the little unicorn away and give it a home.

Later, Derpy finally wakes up. Things are explained to her, but she doesn't really understand. But life goes on, because it must, and Derpy being Derpy a return to wacky normalcy soon follows. It will be years later before she learns the truth after finishing a story at a certain faithful bus stop.

Of course, most of this isn't shown in the story proper, only revealed toward the end. The audience would simply see a fade to black, and when the lights come back on, there is Derpy in a hospital bed, sans foal.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Derp?
    This is also an acceptable solution.
    Last edited by PhoeKun; 2011-04-01 at 04:39 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

In a different continuity:

Recent Past: Derpy returns home from a day at work to find a small, newborn filly asleep on her couch with a note:
    Derpy:
    This is your daughter. You named will name named her Dinky. I'm sorry I can't explain more, but I know you of all ponies will be able to give her the love she needs.

Your Friend,
    The Doctor
    Derpy is not one to question such things, and happily takes Dinky in. She eventually forgets the note.

Present Day:
    Derpy Hooves is a single parent mailpony. She loves Dinky very much, and has raised her well. She meets Doctor Whoof, who moved to Ponyville to take a position as resident clockmaker.

Near Future: Doctor Whoof reveals his identity as The Doctor, a Time Lord. He takes Derpy as his Companion. They go on several awesome adventures.

Farther Future: Dinky is fully grown, and moves out on her own. Derpy becomes lonely, and wants to have another child.

Farther Future: Derpy is with child; The Doctor's. The foal is born healthy, but Derpy dies shortly after childbirth, her last words naming the child "Dinky" and lamenting that she never had the chance to raise her own daughter. The Doctor realizes what has to happen. He returns to the past, leaving a newborn filly and a handwritten note on the couch of a certain bachelorette mailpony . . .
    Last edited by AlterForm; 2011-04-01 at 04:49 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AlterForm View Post

Recent Past: Derpy returns home from a day at work to find a small, newborn filly asleep on her couch with a note:
    Derpy is not one to question such things, and happily takes Dinky in. She eventually forgets the note.

Present Day:
    Derpy Hooves is a single parent mailpony. She loves Dinky very much, and has raised her well. She meets Doctor Whoof, who moved to Ponyville to take a position as resident clockmaker.

Near Future: Doctor Whoof reveals his identity as The Doctor, a Time Lord. He takes Derpy as his Companion. They go on several awesome adventures.

Farther Future: Dinky is fully grown, and moves out on her own. Derpy becomes lonely, and wants to have another child.

Farther Future: Derpy is with child; The Doctor's. The foal is born healthy, but Derpy dies shortly after childbirth, her last words naming the child "Dinky" and lamenting that she never had the chance to raise her own daughter. The Doctor realizes what has to happen. He returns to the past, leaving a newborn filly and a handwritten note on the couch of a certain bachelorette mailpony . . .
    (tears up)
    (gives internet)
    ...no, not enough.
    (gives all the internets. All of them. Take them just take them)
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

*opens mouth*

*closes it again*

*paces around in silence*

I... I have to write one of these. I have to. I don't... I can't... you don't understand. What do I do?

Somepony, choose. Please.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Halfling in the Playground

Speaking of Derpy, there's something missing from this thread.

Spoiler
    Show

Because the first time I saw it, my heart melted and will never freeze again.

Oh, and if you're going to Vietnam, you'd better take this.

Spoiler
    Show
    Citius, Altius, Fortuis

In Velo Veritas

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Present Day:

GNU Terry Pratchett

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

I leave you guys alone FOR A DAY and we already have a new thread?!
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

*opens mouth*

*closes it again*

I... I have to write one of these. I have to. I don't... I can't... you don't understand. What do I do?

Do the time loop outline I wrote. Please. I would love to see it get a full writeup. It needs a bit of work to stabilize the time loop (especially regarding the origin of Dinky's name), but it's more Derpy. And it's not horribly and entirely sad like Bubbles or Today/Tomorrow/Forever.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerlord View Post
    I leave you guys alone FOR A DAY and we already have a new thread?!
    Eh, you'll learn to take it in stride, as I have. The same thing happened to me after I left for a few hours to take a nap.

Also, I have to chime in that AlterForm's idea is just awesome.
    Last edited by RdMarquis; 2011-04-01 at 05:15 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

So... I recall someone saying that they wanted to see a Kamina pony...

DON'T BELIEVE IN YOURSELF. BELIEVE IN ME! BELIEVE IN THE PONY WHO BELIEVES IN YOU!
    Last edited by kpenguin; 2011-04-01 at 06:34 PM.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Do the time loop outline I wrote. Please. I would love to see it get a full writeup. It needs a bit of work to stabilize the time loop (especially regarding the origin of Dinky's name), but it's more Derpy. And it's not horribly and entirely sad like Bubbles or Today/Tomorrow/Forever.
    I'm saving your outline tonight so I won't have to refer back to the thread for storyboarding.

This is going to take me a long while. I'm bouncing back and forth between 4 different projects right now, one of which is actually kind of important to my future, and this will make number 5. But I swear to you on both Celestia's sun and Luna's moon, I will make this happen. And I will dedicate every ounce of my being into making it as amazing as it deserves to be.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

In other news, unrelated to sad unstable time loops, I found a basic description of Party of One.

Spoiler
    Show
    Pinkie Pie tries to learn why her friends are avoiding her party invitation.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-04-01 at 05:37 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Banned

BOLLOCKS OF FIRE AND STEEL! I lost most of my copy/paste quote block again. CURSE YOU TRIXIE! IT IS DIRECTLY CORRELATABLE TO YOU SAYING SOMETHING ABOUT A LUNA PICTURE! and then my subsequent DERP on copying it to add to the quote block I had copy'd but not paste'd, but anyway... I demand require politely request the picture you spoke of as recompense.

Recap: joke about Trixie hamming up the thread while real unicorns are busy doing work (cut to me not actually doing work).
    Joke about Evil DM mk.3 being upset because us unicorns relegate his precious science to the oc-colt section of the library along with democracy and curses and other such non-existent stuff. Whited out text about show!Trixie being nigh intolerable, kudos to thread!Trixie for being a good play-actor.
    Delighted dwarves death-metal scream over the Pinkie pie dancing in a piano gif.

*opens mouth*

*closes it again*

The WHOof/Dinky/Derpy time triangle.
    Will you play off 'net Derpy, or Ditzy Doo (and thus add Fanon to an otherwise unloved but legitimate background pony)?

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

@darthbobcat: I just looked under the spoiler in your sig and it made me happy.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeadManSleeping View Post
    @darthbobcat: I just looked under the spoiler in your sig and it made me happy.
    Mission accomplished.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Firbolg in the Playground

Minor question time: Why do Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo need to introduce themselves to Apple Bloom at the end of "Call of the Cutie"? For one thing, they're all at the same Cuteceañera, despite personally hating the host. Now, I could understand if the Cuteceañera was a major social event for the school, but how did Apple Bloom overlook two other blank flanks in her class? Even assuming that Diamond Tiara invited a large class of people outside the school, Rarity and Applejack are both good friends. Given that they both have little sisters with the same biological problems, you'd have thought that would have come up.

More importantly, of course, the Crusaders are seen together in the pilot:

Spoiler
    Show

Were the Crusaders suffering from a tragic case of anterograde* amnesia at the time? Are they all fond of cuddling next to complete strangers for comfort, then leaving without bothering to introduce themselves once danger has passed? Did Nightmare Moon eat their friendship, causing them to lose all memories of each other?

(I bet that's what happened. Nightmare Moon probably ate their future cutie marks, too. Stupid Nightmare Moon.)

*Fun fact! Firefox spellcheck wants to correct that word to "retrograde." I think this is quite possibly the single worst word it could have suggested.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

...I must know who made that pic in the OP. Already liking the style.

Also the title makes me think of mad scientist adolescent females with horse-shapeshifting powers.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

24. - Top - End - #84
    Banned

*Fun fact! Firefox spellcheck wants to correct that word to "retrograde." I think this is quite possibly the single worst word it could have suggested.
    nah, I've had "Edward Alexander" become "Erotic Encounter" with only a single letter slip amongst each word. I have since double-read every message sent. Which makes my glaring typos all the more painful; I should have caught them. But no!

And yeah, I could see 4-5 year old kids all huddling together while the adults are savaged by a goddess from the moon who knows no love and no mercy. Or it could be an author slip, and they just decided to re-use those character models later when they proved so popular.

25. - Top - End - #85

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    *CMCStuff*
    Yeah, it never made much sense to me, either. Especially after revealing that Sweetie was Rarity's sister. Then again, Rarity doesn't usually hang around Applejack, maybe they only got to think of each other as good friends after the events of Look Before You Sleep, which could mean that they didn't even see each other that much before meeting Twilight.

Scootaloo and Sweetie aren't in the same class as Applebloom. Or not even the same school, if the building we saw was any indication.

There's still the problem of their appearance first episode, though...
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

26. - Top - End - #86

I'm saving your outline tonight so I won't have to refer back to the thread for storyboarding.

This is going to take me a long while. I'm bouncing back and forth between 4 different projects right now, one of which is actually kind of important to my future, and this will make number 5. But I swear to you on both Celestia's sun and Luna's moon, I will make this happen. And I will dedicate every ounce of my being into making it as amazing as it deserves to be.

I really love the time loop idea. Because really, how else would Derpy end up a single mother?

Also: arrrgghghhhh why won't the thread stop moving?! And I thought catching up on the Dominic Deegan thread could be a pain . . .
    Last edited by Helanna; 2011-04-01 at 08:57 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    So... I recall someone saying that they wanted to see a Kamina pony...

DON'T BELIEVE IN YOURSELF. BELIEVE IN ME! BELIEVE IN THE PONY WHO BELIEVES IN YOU!
    It's magic! I think it was me who mentioned that, and it looks amazing. Two of my very favourite things.

Am I the only person who thinks a Derpy/Gump fic should find some way to make Bubbles canon? It's tragic, but I feel it would be beautiful.

Also, do you guys not have jobs or school or sleep or anything? I thought I was on here a lot, but I don't see how y'all have the time.

28. - Top - End - #88

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelbert View Post
    It's magic! I think it was me who mentioned that, and it looks amazing. Two of my very favourite things.

Am I the only person who thinks a Derpy/Gump fic should find some way to make Bubbles canon? It's tragic, but I feel it would be beautiful.

Also, do you guys not have jobs or school or sleep or anything? I thought I was on here a lot, but I don't see how y'all have the time.
    Work? School?

Spoiler
    Show

There is only pony.
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Okay, these Derpy fic ideas are awesome. I love the Durpy Gump idea, and the time loop scenario sounds amazing. o.o

As for school and work... I'm an unemployed () college student who only has about 3 hours of class a day. I have soooooo much time to kill. XD
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Banned

My job is 6 hours of sitting on a chair waiting for customers, approximately 45 cumulative minutes of taking their money/interaction, and 1 hour fifteen minutes of furiously cleaning, doing paperwork and balancing the till.

That adds up to about 7 hours of ponies. Seven paid hours, five days a week.

The only downside is until I get my schedul shifted, I can't play Amtgard. Also minimum wage, But that's my failing, not the jobs'.