New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default (closed) Turn Up the Heat - Voting Thread (5e subclass contest)

Subclass Contest XLI: Turn Up the Heat

Voting Thread!

Remember, anybody can vote! You don't need to have participated in the contest to vote here.

Spoiler: Here are the rules!
    Show

• List your top three subclass entry votes. (#1 is worth 3 points. #2 is worth 2 points. #3 is worth 1 point.)
    • You may not vote for your own entry.
    • List your top three theme votes. (#1 is worth 3 points. #2 is worth 2 points. #3 is worth 1 point.)
    • The winner will be determined by most total points.
    • In the event of a tie, the winner will be decided by most #1 votes. If still tied and only one creator voted, that creator will be declared the winner. If both voted, the tie will stand.
    • Creators can't edit the entries during the voting phase.

Creator Entry 1st 2nd 3rd
    TheHalfAasimar Pyromaniac - Wizard 1
    MrStabby Oath of Purification - Paladin 1 1
    psyche Sorcerer of the Flame - Sorcerer 2
    Notafish Fire Marshal - Fighter 3 1
    Just to Browse Path of the Phoenix - Barbarian 1 2
    Gondolin1 Blood War Scion - Sorcerer 2 1
    RustyDemiGod Circle of Hell - Druid 2 2
    Vogie Serial Arsonist - Rogue 3 1 1

Themes for the next contest:
    Theme Description 1st 2nd 3rd
    I'm Only Joking Why so serious? A prankster, jester, or comedian. Deception and misdirection of all kinds are welcome. 1 2 3
    Remix Mastery Take an existing base class and create an alternate, variant, or remastered version of it. 2 4
    Heavens Above Look far above to read omens, see celestials, or just move straight up. 4 1 2
    Papa-paparazzi It's all about celebrity! Everything from socialites, celebrity culture, becoming a celebrities, or classes inspired by IRL celebrities. 2

Subclass Discussion Thread!

Deadline: 2 May will be the last day for the voting phase. This voting thread will close the following day and a new subclass contest will begin!

Good luck everyone! May the best entry win
    Last edited by Just to Browse; 2024-05-05 at 04:45 PM.
    All work I do is CC-BY-SA. Copy it wherever you want as long as you credit me.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: (open for voting) Turn Up the Heat - Voting Thread (5e subclass contest)

1. Fire Marshal
    2. Blood War Scion
    3. Serial Arsonist

1. Remix Mastery
    2. Heavens above...
    3. I'm only joking!
    Hello! I hope you're all having a good day. I make homebrew, could you look at it?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Re: (open for voting) Turn Up the Heat - Voting Thread (5e subclass contest)

Subclasses:
    1. Serial Arsonist Rogue
    2. Path of the Phoenix Barbarian
    3. Sorcerer of the Flame

Themes:
    1. Heavens Above!
    2. Remix Mastery
    3. I’m Only Joking

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

1.) Oath of Purification
    2.) Path of the Phoenix
    3.) Fire Marshall

1.) Heavens Above
    2.) Remix Mastery
    3.) I´m Only Joking

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

1) Fire Martial Fighter
    2) Circle of Hell Druid
    3) Blood War Scion

Spoiler
    Show
    Fire martial fighter ticked all my boxes. It gives me a set of abilities I can play to as a DM, it lets me make them awesome. It is packed with flavour and RP potential and the flavour maps elegantly to mechanics. The mechanics are innovative not jut taking a grab-bag set of abilities from other classes. I particularly loved actually fighting fire with an attack roll.

Good abilities are spread over levels - there isn't a feeling of being over or underpowered at particular points. I love that whilst there are abilities good for fire, they also work well against non fiery enemies and still brings something to the class.

As a player I would be happy to play one. As a player I could safely have one in my party and whatever other class/subclass I was playing I would feel there was no confict with them.

Circle of Hell druid was a fun one. At first, I didn't really like the flavour. I felt the core druid flavour undermined this a bit. Whilst still not perfect, I came round to drawing power from the land... even if it is a blasted hellscape. I think the class does bring something more to the druid, something that isn't available elsewhere. I think there is a really nice balance between really valuing what you have, whilst still missing what your subclass doesn't give you. I think that some of the spells on its list are weak on a druid or are on enough other classes lists, it feels like you are ot poaching the special elements form other classes and you gain more in versatility than they lose in uniqueness.

Blood War Scion... another class with a bit of an infernal theme. I think this class has a wonderful tactical set of choices to make. Do you tank (you can do so quite well) or do you play primarily as a sorcerer from the back lines, that just gets to be more durable? There is just enough support for these to make it a hard choice.

My reservation here is simply multiclassing. Dropping a spot of this onto a paladin or a hexblade or whatever is potentially a bit too strong. Flavour-wise I ike it though; its a nice way to incorporate a fiendish bloodline.

As a DM I would be happy to see one and it would be fun to play. At the table the sorcerer is pulled towards bard/warlock a bit with enhanced overlap (light armor, charisma caster, and in the case of warlock stepping into the blaster space and with strong overlap of spelllist and theme (especially fiend pact warlock)) though its not really a massive downside.

I'm only joking
    Remix Mastery
    Heavens above

Spoiler
    Show
    So far Paparazzi seems to appeal to no one!
    Last edited by MrStabby; 2024-04-13 at 06:17 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

1) Fire Marshal
    2) Serial Arsonist
    3) Circle of Hell

1) Heavens Above
    2) Remix Mastery
    3) Papa-paparazzi

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingPirate

1) Serial Arsonist (which, ironically, could synergize very well with a Fire Marshal)
    2) Oath of Purification
    3) Circle of Hell

1) Remix Mastery
    2) I'm Only Joking
    3) Heavens Above

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Classes:
    1. Serial Arsonist
    2. Circle of Hell
    3. Sorcerer of the Flame

Themes:
    1. Heavens Above
    2. I'm Only Joking
    3. Papa-paparazzi
    Last edited by Just to Browse; 2024-04-20 at 11:29 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Subclasses
    1. Path of the Phoenix
    2. Blood War Scion
    3. Pyromaniac

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

The contest has ended and here are our top 3:

In 3rd place at 7 points, Just to Browse with the Path of the Phoenix Barbarian

In 2nd place at 10 points (so close!), Notafish with the Fire Marshal

And our winner at 12 points, Vogie with the Serial Arsonist!

A big congrats to Vogie, and thanks to everyone who participated. Our next contest will be Heavens Above. I'll put up the submission thread sometime this weekend.