New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tides and Taxes

1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Re: Tides and Taxes

The Golden Lion observes the exchange and looks at Azure go back to his cabin. He shakes his head and then focuses his attention at the new kids coming on board. He moves forward and support Kai welcoming the kids.

"We will sail the sea and you will get to see the infinite sky and the rays of the sun brightening our paths. The wind caressing our skin and who wants to take a dive after some sailing? I'm always up for some swimming after some exercises."
    My interest in what you're talking about is low to moderate - Vork, Knight of Good.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Kai gapes momentarily, a bit surprised that the information hadn't given the boys even the slightest pause, but then grins and points to the boarding ramp.

"Well then, climb aboard! Carefully, now; ramp's a bit slippery in the rain. After we've gotten out of the storm, and sailed as far as we can today, sounds like Golden Lion here will take you swimming, but for now, let's just get moving."
    Last edited by Sucrose; 2011-04-23 at 07:32 AM.
    My Unitarian Jihad name is Brother Rail Gun of Sweet Reason. Get yours!

Thanks to Cealocanth and PersonalSavior for my avatars!
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #33

Azure

At Copper's words, Azure cheers up and a familiar grin returns to his face. "Heh, I'd hate to do anything to get in the top five. Right you are! No time for sulking. It will take me at least until my mark fades to the hiding point to start plotting our course. No need to scare anyone prematurely. We're all loaded, so Kai can get us underway, and I'll come up in a bit to steer us onward. Any suggestions you have for a port where we aren't well known would be helpful."

The Sailor starts bringing out his charts and absently whistling a sea chanty. At least he'd get to keep his cabin for this trip. No more negotiations, and certainly no more stupidity. They were already in enough trouble.

Spoiler
    Show

Old avatar by KP (I think)
    Green Lantern of the Rayneverse

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

So as soon as we have a destination we can be underway. Given that most of you have limited knowledge of the setting you can make Int/Witts+Lore/Bureaucracy/Sail (one roll each) to get ideas about where to go (results will differ based on roll made).
    GNU Terry Pratchett

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

As soon as the boys are on board, Kai walks up the plank, making sure that everything has been loaded, and all hands are on board. With that settled, he goes belowdecks, to where most of the crew is hiding, out of the rain.

"Well, folks, first thing that you may have noticed is that we have some new crew mates. They've come along to learn how to sail, so get 'em to help you with any chores that would be too much of a pain otherwise, make sure they stay belowdecks if things get choppy, and humor their questions, all right?

Second, we won't be coming back to Prydia for quite a while, I think. One of ours had a bit of a run in with the local authorities, and we'd be risking too much sticking around. If any of you don't want to leave Prydia for at least a few years, now would be a good time to say your goodbyes."

After waiting for any departures, Kai continues.

"...Now, then. Happily, we have a fair wind coming from the Pole, giving us a fair start in the search for new markets. So, for now, we sail east, for the Blessed Isle!"

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36

Azure

The Sailor comes on deck with his hat pulled low over his eyes to hide the faintest glimmerings of his caste mark. He may have made a mistake in an area that wasn't his forte, but now they were underway, and no one in these waters could navigate better than him.

"You heard the captain, we're moving out! Weigh anchor and let out the sails! Tsuba, take the boys below and get them buckets. I want all the rain water out of the hold. We'll teach them knots and tools when we're in open water and clearer skies." That should keep them busy and get their legs under them.

With that, Azure takes the wheel from Tsuba and concentrates. He can feel the connection to the god of the ship and pushes more energy into that connection. They'll sail safely and true until he leaves the wheel. If he can't take back his mistakes, he can at least redeem them.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

For two days and one night you sail with little to comment on. The second night however...

Perception+Essence rolls please everyone.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

In the peaceful two days since departure from Prydia, Kai had a fair amount of fun. After they moved beyond Prydia's eternal rains, the skies had cleared up beautifully. The kids still weren't useful for much beyond holding ropes and mopping the deck, but the ship moved along at a good clip, and it seemed as though they may have escaped pursuit.

Thus, after so much pleasantness, it is all the more vexing for the inconvenience of insomnia to bother him in the middle of the night.

Kai tries to remain in bed for a moment, before realizing that he's slept peacefully for literally every night since his Exaltation. Then, a little concerned, he rolls out of his hammock. He dons his breastplate hastily, and wraps himself in his cloak against the cold of the night. He then grabs both his disguised daiklave and his cutlass and steps out of his cabin, seeking out the source of his unease...

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39

Azure

The Sailor wakes with a start. Two days of safe sailing had made him relax a bit. Now there was trouble of some sort up ahead. He rolls out of his bed quickly and grabs for his powerbow. Throwing his cloak on, he runs out of his cabin and up onto the deck to the wheel. "Report! Any occurrences I need to know about?"

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

The crew report nothing, but you can clearly see an oncoming fog bank.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

A few seconds after Azure, Kai strides onto the deck. Steadying himself at the foremost point on the bow, he peers into the fog bank, trying to figure out what might be hidden within. There is likely danger here somewhere, and a hidden point in the surroundings seems like a reasonable place to start looking.

Spoiler
    Show
    Performing Salty Dog Method, removing up to three dice in external penalties to naval actions, then trying to see what lies within the fog bank.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Per+Awerness
    GNU Terry Pratchett

13. - Top - End - #43

Azure

Take in sails to half! I don't want to ram into anything in this fog! Get going ye sea dogs! I want our best sighter in the nest to look for reefs! Wake someone up if you have to!

After shouting out his orders, Azure sets his sight forward with more focus than any mere mortal could. At this speed, others could spot reefs before major damage could be done while he looked for more dangerous hazards.

Spoiler
    Show
    (6d10)[43] while using Keen Sight Technique. Subtract as you choose for the internal penalty, while adding two successes.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Azure can make out the shape of a ship moving towards them in the fog. The ship is of an old, high-sided and oar driven, design. The fog is unusual too, is is darker and thinner than what you would expect.
    Last edited by Evil DM Mark3; 2011-05-05 at 04:14 AM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

15. - Top - End - #45

Azure

"Kai, we've got company. I'm not sure who they are but they have oars! Mister Tsuba, take the wheel. I want my hands free. Everybody, prepare for trouble! I don't know what ship it is, but man the ballistas and open the weapons locker! I want to be prepared, just in case!"
    At least they're not coming from Prydia.

For a moment, The Sailor considers going up to the crow's nest, but decides to stay on the deck, closer to events.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

"...Is that so? They're rather good at hiding, then. Thank you, Azure."

Kai draws his cutlass, and continues to scan the waters for sight of the ship that Azure saw. He needs to see the target to be able to direct any ballista volleys that may be necessary... and to be able to gauge said necessity.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

As you watch the fog bank turns and you realise that the fog is issuing from the ship itself, peeling off in waves. The ship is now moving alongside you.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

At the unnatural motion of the fog bank, Kai is able to determine the location of the ship. Such concealment wasn't exactly an indicator of honest intent, particularly given the premonition granted by the other ship's arrival, but Captain Kimo would not start bloodshed if there was a way around it. Hopefully this surrender of initiative wouldn't cost them too much...

He glances momentarily to the ship's true master.

"Azure, slow us down a bit. I want the heavy ballista on them."

As he waits for his order to be carried out, Kai tries to recall what seafarers tend to make use of such tactics.

Spoiler
    Show