New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXXV: DJ Callan Turns the Tables

Quote Originally Posted by Bobikus View Post
    This is really just a "HEY GUYS, DO YOU REMEMBER THAT I HAVE A GIRLFRIEND?" thing.

I have no idea how it could actually be healthy relationship though if they way he writes females and the way he writes how his characters interact with females are any sort of reflection of his own personality.
    Judging how someone does something by how they write something is asking for disappointment. It really pisses me off when people assume the artist/writer's behavior will in some way mirror the way their characters act or the way they're written just because. People that can't write a relationship or strong female characters very well are perfectly capable of having a healthy relationship

2. - Top - End - #272
    Barbarian in the Playground

furious Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXXV: DJ Callan Turns the Tables

Wait, they PAY for art like that in the USA?

I'm moving there.

3. - Top - End - #273

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXXV: DJ Callan Turns the Tables

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    Eeehh... iunno, the filler is good enough for what it is. Decent art, if a bit sappy. It's just the subject matter that makes it odd.

If he commissioned it for himself, let him be happy with it. We're here for Mookie's work, not for that of others.
    That seems hardly fair. I, for one, shall stay an equal-opportunity snarker, snarking on indiscriminately.

... as long as it's snarkable, that is.
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ettin in the Playground

Talking about unrelated things...

I am pondering opening up for commissions as well. You know what i can do, so what's the general opinion on that thought?
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

5. - Top - End - #275

Talking about unrelated things...

I am pondering opening up for commissions as well. You know what i can do, so what's the general opinion on that thought?
    Smug!Greg, wearing the Supergreg outfit, metal-ing out with Stonewater, Nimmel, and Goddess!Luna, surrounded by hummus and tofu, all wearing glasses and/or dressed as superheroes.

Oh wait, for Gengame? I dunno then.
    Last edited by TheLaughingMan; 2011-04-25 at 03:08 PM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheLaughingMan View Post
    Smug!Greg, wearing the Supergreg outfit, metal-ing out with Stonewater, Nimmel, and Goddess!Luna, surrounded by hummus and tofu, all wearing glasses and/or dressed as superheroes.

Oh wait, for Gengame? I dunno then.
    I meant "in general". GenGame isn't the only thing i can do, even though it's pretty key.

Also, if you can pay for it you get your smugGreg.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

7. - Top - End - #277

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragonKing View Post
    Judging how someone does something by how they write something is asking for disappointment. It really pisses me off when people assume the artist/writer's behavior will in some way mirror the way their characters act or the way they're written just because. People that can't write a relationship or strong female characters very well are perfectly capable of having a healthy relationship
    Except most of the Deegan characters are shown to heavily be self-inserts when it comes to their views, and between his writing and news posts, he sounds like someone who's never grown out of that "nice guy" mentality that 'nerds' tend to develop in high school.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

Except most of the Deegan characters are shown to heavily be self-inserts when it comes to their views, and between his writing and news posts, he sounds like someone who's never grown out of that "nice guy" mentality that 'nerds' tend to develop in high school.
    I don't think we can judge Mookie by what he writes on the internet. We know Mookie the writer and publisher, not Mookie the friend and fiancé. There is always way more to a person. I already made my experience with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

9. - Top - End - #279

Quote Originally Posted by Welf View Post
    I don't think we can judge Mookie by what he writes on the internet. We know Mookie the writer and publisher, not Mookie the friend and fiancé. There is always way more to a person. I already made my experience with that.
    Your sig-thing about thinking whatever you said is funny right now is always more memorable when you've just said something serious and levelheaded.

Ennywai, huh. I just had a look at a few pages of Squid Salad, and is it just me, or is this picture actually more SD and ridiculous than her apparent typical style? I can come up with very little to say about that, so I guess I'll just say it was nice that Alyssa was able to commission something that she evidently wanted? Yay, capitalism. Hooray for the invisible hand. *noisemaker*
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizor View Post
    If I go crazier and end up writing fantasy, my magic will not be called the Power or the Talent or the Gift.

It will be called by ancient Elvish words that translate as Oh Dammit.
    Great Szark avatar by Toast1862.

10. - Top - End - #280

Plenty of people write grating, horrible self-inserts without being horrible people, y'know. You can read unfortunate implications into how some relationships are written in Dominic Deegan, but it's stupid and insulting to try and judge someone's personal life using their job/hobby as a measuring stick. Stephanie Meyer's work is an abomination unto literacy and her novels are filled to the brim with nightmarish implications, but she appears to be happily married.

Besides, from what I've seen of him in person at cons, Mookie's a really friendly, fun guy. Even if you don't think he's a good writer, that's no reason to assume his personal life's going to be messed up because Dominic and Luna aren't as great as he thinks they are.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragonKing View Post
    Stephanie Meyer's work is an abomination unto literacy and her novels are filled to the brim with nightmarish implications, but she appears to be happily married to a vampire.
    :O

But seriously, I think the only real judgment we can make on Mookie's character is that he doesn't know what optimism is.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Dwarf in the Playground

Last edited by Ghill; 2011-04-25 at 06:28 PM.
    Insomniac posting is a STUPID idea. I should probably stop.

Halflings are my favorite race. Belkar is an exception.

Some people call me a frickin' creepy stalker, others are not so observant.

13. - Top - End - #283

Found this on Tv Tropes:

Quote Originally Posted by Troper #146263
    The clearest example of Nakama, however, is Lord Milov's "pack" of himself, Jayden, and Siegfried.
    I can't believe there was a time where this was actually true. Hell, it's hard to believe that relationships extending beyond the Deegans even exist anymore.
    Last edited by TheLaughingMan; 2011-04-25 at 08:19 PM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheLaughingMan View Post
    Hell, it's hard to believe that relationships extending beyond the Deegans even exist anymore.
    Name one.

15. - Top - End - #285

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    Name one.
    Well, there's... no, one of them died. Would... no, he died, and she fake-died, and then broke up or something? Maybe. Does grudging respect count? Wait, there's... no, he renounced her forever. Well, there's always... no, they broke up, after giving us those lovely panels. Thanks, you two. Well, it was important that those other two... wait, no, nobody even remembers what's happened to him, and she's a seriously minor character. Well, the two should-have-been protagonists had something... that happened mostly off-screen.

Bort and Bortette! Done.

Anyway, is it just me, or is the impending marriage actively sucking love from its surroundings to fuel its terrible engine?

(Play a game, and see how many of those you can guess without checking the spoiler. Bonus points for every name I misremembered.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alseltio, Siggy, Jayden, Stunt and Vazkes, Nico-what's-his-name and Prejutits, Greg and Pam, Dex and Danika(?), Stonewater and Grench.
    Last edited by mwchase; 2011-04-25 at 09:50 PM.
    If I go crazier and end up writing fantasy, my magic will not be called the Power or the Talent or the Gift.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

$10 says we'll find out one or both of them is dead or they broke up since WtWE.

Also, are you saying the wedding is a Hadoken?

17. - Top - End - #287

Imp

Don't forget - oh wait, they each disappeared into the horizon at the end of Maltak.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Then don't look close.

18. - Top - End - #288

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    Also, are you saying the wedding is a Hadoken?
    That's the obvious interpretation. I'm leaning a bit towards "the universe is setting them up, and to keep their relationship stable, has to strip love from nearby relationships to maintain it through their fight-sexings."

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Don't forget - oh wait, they each disappeared into the horizon at the end of Maltak.
    Geez, you're right. That was careless of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Third_I
    Why does anyone even bother with the relationship mechanics? They're buggy as hell. It seems like they only exist for a few min-maxed builds to reap even greater advantages.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeventhTravoria
    You're just failing to appreciate the depth they bring to the adaptation. It's like how every feature in Dwarf Fortress is based off something that happened in a story the creator's brother wrote.
    Quote Originally Posted by FleshOfStone
    Did someone say... DWARVES? =D
    Quote Originally Posted by FrailGod
    Would you stop kibozing the boards for any mention of your overpowered and under-mannered race? It's preposterously boorish.

19. - Top - End - #289

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mwchase View Post
    Anyway, is it just me, or is the impending marriage actively sucking love from its surroundings to fuel its terrible engine
    It's not just you - I'm sure I made a slay about exactly that years ago. I'm surprised Stonewater and Grench are still together; I was sure Dominic and Luna, Mama and Papa Deegan were the only two allowable couples.

And yup, just checked my slay directory, here it is:
    Spoiler
    Show

(Man, there's some weird stuff in this directory. Can anyone remind me - why the heck did I made this?
    Spoiler
    Show

)

20. - Top - End - #290

No idea, but poking around found
    Spoiler
    Show

Dominic dreams of his girlfriend becoming an eldritch abomination, then making out with him. Finally, something I can empathize with.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rappy View Post
    Is it just me, or is anyone else getting Luna vibes from that drawing of Mookie's girlfriend?
    Ach. Now I can't unsee it, thanks.
    Let's hit the uisce.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillith View Post
    I find the filler absolutely creepy. Making my last post in this thread only more screamingly scary. On the other hand my boyfriend thought it was a drawing of two girls so I guess I'm cheered up with that joke at least a bit. It sure is more funny then the filler itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Wait that's not two girls? o_O
    man, if that is too girls, then I have the least manly sideburns I've ever seen. My one claim to fame, gone! *sob*

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    Hrm. Is this filler snarkable enough, or should we just go back to discussing ponies again?
    Ponies!
    and hope that some plot happens tomorrow.

Eeehh... iunno, the filler is good enough for what it is. Decent art, if a bit sappy. It's just the subject matter that makes it odd.

If he commissioned it for himself, let him be happy with it. We're here for Mookie's work, not for that of others.
    That's the problem. Mookie said "I'm busy, to stare at a scrap for a while. But it doesn't matter that it's a scrap piece, because it has value to me." and he said it at work. When you call in sick, you don't tell yor boss 'just deal with me being bored and taking the day off'.

I understand your position, but considering Mookie does this to survive, it's kind of a slap. Though I've just talked myself around to seeing how I'm in the wrong. So yeah, I'll let it be.

Eh, Mookie has improved. He writes and draws better than this, but he is sticking with consistency over advancement. Granted, his pacing is still atrocious but that's because he's working off an old-style script. Leastways, that's what I've been led to believe. I'm sure if he moved on, he'd do better with his next project.

And it is vitally important to have fun drawing a comic. So he gets leeway for "this is dumb, but I enjoy it so I'll do it anyway". It's just... Maddening when its constant but not acknowledged by the artist.

22. - Top - End - #292

GnomeWizardGuy

Sneaky Gate
    Future Link

The explanation of choosing Quilt isn't that bad by DD standards, although true to DD fashion it both is something they've never used before and makes little sense when you think about it. If Celesto is scryable then the King would have found him by now.

Plus a callback to one of the rare DD jokes I liked, and one that didn't ruin it. So, hooray!

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    And it is vitally important to have fun drawing a comic. So he gets leeway for "this is dumb, but I enjoy it so I'll do it anyway". It's just... Maddening when its constant but not acknowledged by the artist.
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind so much if Mookie flat out stated he was doing DD purely for his own enjoyment so quality be damned. The issue I have is this strong vibe that Mookie would love to be a professional comic writer (like one day working for Marvel) but he doesn't see the point in putting in more effort into his own webcomic. You never get there if you don't put in the work.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2011-04-26 at 12:06 AM.

23. - Top - End - #293

Oh, I guess that makes sense.

LUNA, NOOOOOOOOO! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!

YOU'VE BROKEN UP BARTHIS'S GREATEST TEAM! QUILT'S LOST WITHOUT GERALD!

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    And yup, just checked my slay directory, here it is:
    Spoiler
    Show

I am pleased and amused that you have a "slay directory"

Also: I think the "title card" slay was for one of our proposed DD spinoff. Some sort of CSI-style show, IIRC.

Sneaky Gate
    Future Link

The explanation of choosing Quilt isn't that bad by DD standards, although true to DD fashion it both is something they've never used before and makes little sense when you think about it. If Celesto is scryable then the King would have found him by now.
    Luna's explanation is head-tiltingly bizarre. Quilt is such a bad Seer that his scries will be undetectable? This is like saying that a novice assassin will be so bad at his job that the Mark will never see him coming!

Additionally, Magibabble comes to the rescue. Apparently Visions don't leave a sufficient mental impression be detectable by a mental "extraction" which examines the subject's memories and experiences. That's a very specific level of extraction, if you ask me
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2011-04-26 at 01:23 AM.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

25. - Top - End - #295

His scry is patchwork? What on earth could that even mean? His second sight is like an internet connection that keeps fritzing out?

And of course, data obtained during scrying is in Dominic's memory, so that's some terrible logic.

26. - Top - End - #296

Imp

I think Gerald might be my favorite character. He's a loose collection of paper, but he's a damn good cop.

Also, I'm adding "Howlin' Mad" Quilt back into the spin-off A-Team. Which, for those of you keeping score, also features Donovan "Hannibal" Smith, Hansi "Faceman" Reinholdt, Thuen "O.C." Goracus, and Dex "also Howlin' Mad and kinda Faceman" Garrit.
    Show
    Then don't look close.

27. - Top - End - #297

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    I think Gerald might be my favorite character. He's a loose collection of paper, but he's a damn good cop.

Also, I'm adding "Howlin' Mad" Quilt back into the spin-off A-Team. Which, for those of you keeping score, also features Donovan "Hannibal" Smith, Hansi "Faceman" Reinholdt, Thuen "O.C." Goracus, and Dex "also Howlin' Mad and kinda Faceman" Garrit.
    I think Gerald deserves a spot on that team as well. He's managed to successfully escape the derailment that most minor characters face when the spotlight is suddenly shifted onto them by Mookie, and maintains likely the most consistently developed character in the comic remaining.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

28. - Top - End - #298

AssassinGuy

Okay I like Gerald. Not really sure why Quilt bothered to change his expression, but it's a funny visual gag.

With the token compliment out of the way...what does "patchwork" scrying even mean? Is his scrying so bad that no one will think to monitor it while he's looking for Celesto? Or is it the second sight equivalent of Insane Troll Logic that somehow leads to the right conclusion anyway? Why does every explanation Mookie present in the comic lead to more questions?

It is nice to see that Mookie remembered that Quilt has basic scrying knowledge though.

29. - Top - End - #299

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Luna's explanation is head-tiltingly bizarre. Quilt is such a bad Seer that his scries will be undetectable? This is like saying that a novice assassin will be so bad at his job that the Mark will never see him coming!
    Have we ever been told that Quilt's scrying abilities work that way? Or is this yet another ability that has been made up to solve a problem?

Also: why the heck was Quilt already compiling articles on Celesto?

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

Also: why the heck was Quilt already compiling articles on Celesto?
    He's obviously (****ing) birdwatching.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~