New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] The Channeler, an angelic invoker [Base Class]

Huh.. Well I'll await the PrC's for this. And anything else you happen to get for the Ebon. I shall eagerly await though the new Traveler.. I'm a fan of the old one, and can't wait to see the new one now..
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Evil Human Sorcerer/Rogue (1st/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

I've been meaning to give this a full review... I'll have to check back in sometime I have more time.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

/gives love

Most of what I did was typo-hunt and comment on a couple items. While I like this, its just plainly out of my league to critique.

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    where a tradition of one or more channelers arise as a village wisdom and protector.
    I get the feeling this sentence was getting revised, and something was left off.

Races: Humankind is most likely to take up the roll of the channeler,
    Role? I think I'm turning into the typo police.

Warlocks and channelers, understandably, do not get on well with channelers as being their diametic opposition,
    Diametric opposite?
    This and the last sentence of the alignment section both reference channelers like they were a different, evil class. Copypasta error perhaps?

They are also well suited to the roll of healer in a pinch
    Typo-policing again.

Abilities: Charisma is important for the channeler due to its reliance with some class features,
    Looking through, I don't actually see Charisma being used for class features, is this from an old version of the class?

/table
    Looks good to me, same invocation progression as the Ebon which I think is reasonable and good.

Finally, unlike other spell-like abilities, channeler invocations are divine in nature and not subject to arcane spell failure chance.
    I attempted to make a divine invoker, and also decided to make their invocations divine and non-armor-interfering. I like this, reinforces a distinction between arcane/divine.

Celestial Light (Su): Alternately, the character may project this light in a ray of divine light as a ranged touch attack. <snip> Celestial light inflicts full damage on evil, half damage against neutral creatures, and no damage when used on good-aligned creatures, as its energy is neither positive nor negative energy in its source; it is raw divine power.
    I'll echo someone else who noted there is no range given for the rays. Also, I think its very flavorful that you only do full damage to Evil aligned creatures. Something of a balance factor, and puts him alongside the paladin as an explicitly anti-Evil class.

With the power of angels within his soul, the character is capable of placing his hands on a subject and restoring a number of hit points by rolling his celestial light dice and restoring an equal amount of health to a target creature over the course of one minute.
    So, does the channeler need to be touching the target and doing the healy thing for a full minute before they get any HP? Or is it just a quick touch, then they get something like Fast Healing for one minute? I know this is intended for Out-Of-Combat, but it may matter exactly how it works.

The character gains traits from the follow list:
    Typo police are following you!

His features begin to shift as this point as well, become more comely than a normal mortal’s face, and often times the channeler will begin to displace other signs of celestial bearing such as golden eyes or flawless skin.
    Becoming or he becomes? And display?

The channeler’s body becomes hardier as well, gaining a +2 racial bonus to Constitution, a +4 racial bonus to resist poison, and magical disease and complete immunity to mundane disease.
    The comma placement threw me for a second, move it to after 'magical disease' or reword to clarify?

Though they are bound to by their very soul to the spirit of their celestial patron, <snip> Channelers only motives are the mastery of their heavenly arts through whatever means they discover on their own.
    Extra word, and then something about the second sentence sounds like its got the wrong plural or something, it might be fine as-is.

The channeler known as Lenora Armitage is (a) folk hero amongst the people of the land,
    Missing a word.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks blackmage for the read over and typo-policing (gah I need an editor!). A village wisdom is another way of saying a wise one or a wiseman/woman. Calling them the village wisdom is a gender neutral term.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

Also, Errant, for what it is worth, I actually was excited when I saw you make a celestial equivalent to the warlock that was actually crafted from the ground up, instead of just "call it light instead of dark." I just happened to have registered after it seemed to lose steam.

The good guys need more love. Just saying.
    Awesome avatar by Abscondcrow

Spoiler
    Show
    Former awesome avatar by Zefir.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

In addition the shield of wings angelic aspect references the "wings of the Deva" class feature. Its obvious you're referencing the "Aspect of the Deva" class feature but its still an easily fixed typo.

I haven't had a chance to actually Play this yet, and I'm only in the running to use it in a gestalt game, which is usually not the best place for testing as the second class could dramatically effect how good the class does.
    All Hail Fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    No... no... its... its supposed to be 'then'... NO. DENOMAR OUT. YOU HAVE RUINED EVERYTHING.
    New Sexy Mordrent Avatar via Tiffany Lirle! I bow down to her sense of fun.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

Angelic hordes, come forth!

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Alefiend, connoisseur of fine fermented beverages

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Also, Errant, for what it is worth, I actually was excited when I saw you make a celestial equivalent to the warlock that was actually crafted from the ground up, instead of just "call it light instead of dark." I just happened to have registered after it seemed to lose steam.

The good guys need more love. Just saying.
    Thank you, and very much agreed. I'm working on the prestige classes for this one again, so time willing I will begin to post them soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Denomar View Post
    In addition the shield of wings angelic aspect references the "wings of the Deva" class feature. Its obvious you're referencing the "Aspect of the Deva" class feature but its still an easily fixed typo.

I haven't had a chance to actually Play this yet, and I'm only in the running to use it in a gestalt game, which is usually not the best place for testing as the second class could dramatically effect how good the class does.
    Thanks for the catch there. Fixed. I hear you on the play test front. The only time I got to play test my Traveler class was in gestalt game, and while it carried the bulk of the weight, the nature of the beast kinda screws with the result.

Quote Originally Posted by Alefiend View Post
    Angelic hordes, come forth!

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Right? That's awesome

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay I have to ask since it will no doubt come up in a game I am in right now.

How does Divine Warrior's Aura function in Epic?
    Since its basically an upgraded divine Power it has several of the same problems.
    Does it simply increase BAB to 20? Does it increase BAB to higher than 20?
    If the latter, does it overlap with the epic attack bonus or would that be put on top? Further in case it increases BAB beyond 20, would that include another itterative attack? (Since the epic bonuses were made so that BAB would not increase those attacks into loudicrous amounts)
    My first foray into homebrew: The Circuit Mage

. /l 、
    ° (゚、 。 7
    .  l、゙~ヽ
      じ しf_, )ノ

Pudgy kitty needs more views

Active Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bonehoarder - Necromantic Skeleton Shapeshifter
    Tahrven Millos - Arcane Hierophant
    Hordemaster Kordan - Ebon Initiate ... mostly
    Keldan Tamron - Trivoker
    Rooshkdor - Arrow Demon Archer
    Galen Medon - Batman?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Re'ozul View Post
    Okay I have to ask since it will no doubt come up in a game I am in right now.

How does Divine Warrior's Aura function in Epic?
    Since its basically an upgraded divine Power it has several of the same problems.
    Does it simply increase BAB to 20? Does it increase BAB to higher than 20?
    If the latter, does it overlap with the epic attack bonus or would that be put on top? Further in case it increases BAB beyond 20, would that include another itterative attack? (Since the epic bonuses were made so that BAB would not increase those attacks into loudicrous amounts)
    It would cap at +20, then you'd add Epic BAB to the top of it. I clarified that a little in Divine Warrior's Aura. It's basically an upgraded divine power, yeah. I don't do epic myself, so I don't usually think in epic so these are oversights I make (a lot of!). Are you using this as a player or a DM, if I may ask? I'd love to know what kind of mileage you're getting out of it.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:

11. - Top - End - #41
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

IMHO this is yet another awesome looking class for the lost concept of an effective support character. I have already saved it onto a Word document for me to look over it while offline, all just so that I can try and drop off a critique later.

Also, how did you know I was thinking about taking a coin from my Wyrmfire Disciple+Ebon Initiate PrC idea and doing the reverse? Now not only do I need to make edits to my Wyrmfire, and actually get some work on the PrC idea, but now I want to work with this one as well!

/+1 gives love+cookie

"Words ought to be chosen with greater care then either clothing or weaponry. For they can last much longer than the former, and cut deeper than the latter."

-Doomraga's Revenge by T.A. Barron

Extended Homebrew Signature

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Igneel View Post
    IMHO this is yet another awesome looking class for the lost concept of an effective support character. I have already saved it onto a Word document for me to look over it while offline, all just so that I can try and drop off a critique later.

Also, how did you know I was thinking about taking a coin from my Wyrmfire Disciple+Ebon Initiate PrC idea and doing the reverse? Now not only do I need to make edits to my Wyrmfire, and actually get some work on the PrC idea, but now I want to work with this one as well!

/+1 gives love+cookie
    Thanks alot Igneel! I look forward to seeing your thoughts on it.

Hehe, death dragon and now... a dragon of heaven?

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:

13. - Top - End - #43
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Thanks alot Igneel! I look forward to seeing your thoughts on it.

Hehe, death dragon and now... a dragon of heaven?

-X
    Well the way I see it, a PrC for Faluzure [Undead Dragon god of Undeath+Evil] vs a PrC for Tamara [Dragon goddess of Mercy+Life] make very good opposite sides of the same coin.

Sorry, no critique yet mostly because I keep getting distracted by ideas on how to use your class. That and I saw this post and wanted to comment

"Words ought to be chosen with greater care then either clothing or weaponry. For they can last much longer than the former, and cut deeper than the latter."

-Doomraga's Revenge by T.A. Barron

Extended Homebrew Signature

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Igneel View Post
    Well the way I see it, a PrC for Faluzure [Undead Dragon god of Undeath+Evil] vs a PrC for Tamara [Dragon goddess of Mercy+Life] make very good opposite sides of the same coin.

Sorry, no critique yet mostly because I keep getting distracted by ideas on how to use your class. That and I saw this post and wanted to comment
    Drop me a line when you have an alpha of either of those prestige classes and I will write some notes on it and send it back.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

if he is (hit) by an attack while invoking, just as a spellcaster would be.
    Seems like you forgot a word here.

At 20th level, he can trade out any one invocation he has for any other invocation of any grade.
    Perhaps you meant "of equal or lesser grade"? Or is it possible to switch a least for a holy?

Channelers can qualify for some prestige classes usually intended for spellcasters, provided that the prestige class in question requires a caster level requirement, as opposed to a specific level of spells capable of being cast by the character.
    Perhaps base it off the damage? "Channelers are considered able to cast spell levels equal to the number of celestial light damage dice, up to a maximum of 9th level spells"? I can't think of any that simply have a caster level requirement, it's usually a spell-level requirement.

Used as a ray, the character may make iterative attacks if using it as a full attack.
    This seems a bit powerful, since the warlock can only cast his eldritch blast once per round. Supernatural/Spell-Like abilities are generally standard actions, unless specifically stated otherwise (and then usually swift or move actions).

This is a supernatural ability and is not subject to spell resistance.
    Again, more powerful than the warlock.

Extra Invocation [General]
    You have prayed and remained steadfast, and your angelic patron has seen fit to gift you with another holy art.
    Prerequisites: Ability to use lesser invocations, Spellcraft 5 ranks.
    Benefit: You learn another invocation of any level of you('re) capable of using.
    Special: This feat may be taken multiple times for additional uses.
    Missed a couple letters. And I think you meant "This feat may be taken multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat you must choose a different invocation."

Knight of Angels [General]
    You’ve learned to blend some of your talents as a channeler with your abilities as a paladin.
    Prerequisites: Must have one or more levels in paladin, must have the celestial light class feature.
    Benefit: Your levels in paladin are counted as channeler levels in regard to your caster level for using invocations and you may combine your paladin level and your channeler level to determine your lay on hands ability.
    Might be easier to have as prerequisites: Lay-on-hands class ability, Celestial Light +2d6?

And I think they should be based off Charisma instead of Wisdom, much like warlocks and favored souls. Wisdom is more for prepared casters that draw their power from somewhere (as opposed to those who study a book like wizard and archivist).

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Been a long time since I revisited this class, updating it to Pathfinder currently and I've posted a long-awaited Prestige Class for it, the demon hunting mage/channelers known as the Seekers of the Fallen. More to come!

-X

EDIT: Adjusted some things as per the previous poster's suggestions. Removed Turn Undead because it didn't fit, and because Pathfinder does it differently.
    Last edited by ErrantX; 2012-11-12 at 10:19 PM.
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits: