New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Resistance(IC)

Danid

"I believe it is different, though the difference is subtle. Though, depending on the situation, it can be the same. It is the same when people believe their king is a direct descendant of god. For many, it implies they are in some way infallible. A crude or otherwise bad ruler will find he looses the trust of his people, and later his sway. Crude or bad deities keep their sway, and create terrible, often zealous, followers."

2. - Top - End - #572
    Titan in the Playground

Rest of Party
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I see...That is an interesting difference," Mystic says, nodding. "No matter what happens, though, one thing is for sure..." the gnome's voice drops ominously, and he looks around at all of you before speaking again.

"It's late, and as an old man I'm obliged to tell you youngsters to stay quiet while I go off to bed," he says, tone jovial, standing slowly before turning to go off to his room. "Danid, you may be staying in our last guest room, Serris, set him up, would you?"

Serris nods with a sly grin. "Of course," she says, "Mamma Serris is happy to put all the tired boys to bed,"
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Indeed, it has been a long and exhausting day, what with all the fighting and whatnot. I will trance for the night as well."

Assuming no one else has anything to add to the conversation, Uthlas heads up towards the room he used previously and prepares for his nightly trance.
    Last edited by Ilmryn; 2013-08-11 at 02:48 PM.
    The Resistance character:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Uthlas-Reth
    Male CG Grey Elf Wizard 1/Archivist 2, Level 3, Init +3, HP 17/17, Speed
    AC 12, Touch 12, Flat-footed 9, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +5, Base Attack Bonus 1
    Lt. Crossbow +4 (1d8, 19-20x2)
    5-ft burst Fiery burst DC 17 Reflex (2d6, -)
    Quarterstaff -1 (1d6-2, 20x2)
    (+3 Dex, -1 Misc)
    Abilities Str 6, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 20, Wis 10, Cha 8
    Condition None

4. - Top - End - #574
    Troll in the Playground

Danid

"Thank you kindly, and good night." When she is ready for it, Danid lets Serriss show him around. Sleeping early suits him fine, he is more of a morning man, and after the trip to the god-man there is no need to walk the wolf (again).

5. - Top - End - #575
    Titan in the Playground

With Soren already asleep, Uthlas trancing and Danid himself going to bed, the party's second day together ends. The elf, only needing four hours of time with his eyes shut, is the first to open them again, awakening before the dawn has done more than imply its coming. As last night, there's nothing much going on while he refreshes his mind with rest, preparing it for the spells he will later memorize. The dawn comes, the sounds of the morning's first patrols following on its heels. As Uthlas begins to work on the arcane and divine writings in his spellbooks, working the formulae until they sit firm in his mind, the others begin to stir.

Serris seems to have quietly awoken shortly before the others, and as they wake up they can hear something from downstairs. Mystic has awoken as well, and the two have nearly finished work on a stew by the time the elf is done preparing his magic. Danid communes with nature, feeling the bond he has with the natural world strengthen during his meditation, leaving him feeling mentally fresh and with the power of the world's nature at his fingertips.

Soren, not requiring such lengthy preparation, is ready for the day after his daily regimen of stretches and weapon training. He notices that his bruises and such have receded more than they normally would after only one night of rest. If he comes down right away, he will find Serris and Mystic in the back areas of the hideout, maneuvering through the clutter to pick out spices, vegetables and even a few pieces of meat for a morning stew.

As Uthlas and Danid finish their magical preparation and come down, Serris meets them in the main room, shifting some of the clutter packed into the piles that form the second walls of the room so that small outcroppings that could serve as tables emerge.

"Good morning everyone! I hope you slept well," Serris says, with a glance at Soren as she speaks. "I'm planning on heading over to my place and checking the grapevine before we go. It'll be...maybe an hour and a half, then we can head for the Smith,"

Spoiler
    Show
    Soren heals 6 points of nonlethal damage, rather than 3.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Troll in the Playground

Danid

As always, Danid is in a better mood in the morning than in the night. He greets everyone merrily. He meddles a bit with the cooking, complimenting on the smell and lecturing or rather rambling about which herbs grow best where and when. "I'll just be out to walk the wolf a few minutes. Allow her to relieve herself." The druid walks out while speaking to his furred companion as if it were a person. "We're up for a long walk today, so this will be just a short..." He makes sure that as soon as Seriss returns, he is ready to go.

Spoiler
    Show
    No changes to spells studied.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Troll in the Playground

Soren helped himself to the hearty stew, eating much more than his stature would indicate.

"I feel so much better today. I'm ready for whatever challenges this new day may bring!" he smiled, seeming cheerful.

Spoiler
    Show
    Actually nonlethal damage is healed at character level per hour rest or no, so Soren should have been all better about 5 hours after the battle...faster with Serris healing him.
    Last edited by TekHed; 2013-08-15 at 08:30 PM.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah, yeah, I missed that. It's not under the rules for rest, but rather the ones for NL damage. Woops!

Uthlas comes down as well and, after roughly an hour and a half, Serris returns, carrying a small backpack that seems to be more or less full. A few pieces of brightly colored cloth stick out from it.

"Alright, I'm all set. Everyone ready? Good!" Serris seems to be pretty upbeat about the trip, and as she leads you through the alleys of the city there's a definite spring in her step. The city is waking up and the streets begin to grow crowded as you approach the gates. As always, a few guards are posted there. Two heavily armored ones like the ones from the sewers and four lightly armed, bearing firearms and bayonets, a total of three per side. One human and one gnome inspect the oncoming traffic, nodding to the guards who then let them pass. "Follow me and act natural," Serris says quietly to you as you merge into the crowd and approach the gate. In front of you is a cart full of what seem to be old turnips, driven by a middle aged human and a young boy. After a brief checkover from the human and gnome, they're let through.

As the two approach you, one of them opens his mouth to speak before Serris interrupts them, grinning and closing the distance with a few large steps.

"Heya!" She begins, accent entirely different from her normal one. "Wez'r flopp'n up o'er to nordregz, ye'ggn hav' summoe si'y stoppie f'r a bandercaver like us?" Something about this seems to work, as the gnome's eyes light up and he grins as well. The two exchange some rapid-fire speech you can'T follow a word of, then the gnome turns to the human and nods.

The human, seeming as confused as you are, shrugs and waves to the guards, who let you pass. You go through the gate and out into the sun...sort of. It's rather cloudy outside, so you're in the shade as you go along the road, flanked by merchant stands, half of them already open and hawking their wares. You follow the main road for perhaps ten minutes, then turn off into a cluster of poorly built houses (although some of them seem to simply be badly repaired pre-war buildings), weaving through them until you find the edge of the settlement.

Every now and then, Serris pulls out a few pieces of dried meat or fruit from her backpack, offering you some each time.

From there, you enter the woods, briefly forcing your way through thick underbrush before you find a trail. It's clearly well-used, and after perhaps thirty minutes you come into another cluster of buildings, this one seeming far larger. Going along the uneven and often curving roads of the clusters, you walk for another two hours before reaching a point that seems to have once been cordoned off. A thick log, broken and trampled into the ground, lies across the road, wooden supports on either side, also broken. A wooden sign sits on one side, writing in Elven, Orcish and Gnomish adorning it.

ATTENTION TRAVELERS

TRAVEL BEYOND THIS POINT IS GOING OUTSIDE THE PROTECTED ZONE. ANY HARM CAUSED BY CONTINUING WILL NOT BE RECOMPENSATED. GUARD PATROLS END HERE. THOSE SEEN CROSSING WILL BE FINED UP TO 150 COPPER UPON THEIR RETURN.
    Serris glances briefly around, but just as before there's no one around. The nearest house seems to have burned recently, roof gone and walls blackened, and the few people you've seen in the area so far have been going towards the city gates. So you cross the log in the road and continue, going for another fourty minutes, path flanked by trees, until you see smoke rising above the canopy. Another few minutes later, following the path as it curves around a large pond, you arrive on the outskirts of another patch of buildings.

Unlike the others, these aren't as badly built. Sturdy, wood structures, although many clearly lacking proper upkeep, are arranged in rough lines following cobblestone streets. The streets are often missing large chunks, and you can see why: every now and then you find a house with a wall made from these cobblestones. The streets aren't entirely empty, but the few humans and gnomes you see don't appear especially friendly.

"Welcome to the Northern Dregs," Serris says, turning to the rest of you. "I only know a friend of a friend here, so we could have to ask around to find the Smith, since he's going to be out at the market until evening,"

DC 12 Knowledge (Local)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Serris was speaking Wesgnomish, a dialect of Gnomish spoken in a small area of the Gnomish States that's more or less impossible to understand for people who don't speak it.
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2013-08-19 at 04:10 AM.

9. - Top - End - #579

NecromancerGuy

"I'm afraid I won't be terribly popular here. I'll leave the talking to you for the most part."

Uthlas remains in the back of the party, taking care to not end up alone in this unfriendly town. Additionally, he takes out a small pendant depicting an open book covered in broken chain links and wears it around his neck.

DM
    Spoiler
    Show
    The pendant is the symbol of the Order of the Unchained Tome. Should any other members of the Order see it, they will recognize Uthlas as a fellow member.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Uthlas-Reth
    (+3 Dex, -1 Misc)
    Condition None

10. - Top - End - #580
    Troll in the Playground

Danid

"The Northern Dregs..." Danid looks around for a moment, the sight does not quite cheer him up. "Not the happiest place I've seen." He then stops mumbling and adresses his team mates more directly. "So, this smith is a gemcutter, right? Do we have any idea what he looks like? I mean, will you know it when we find him?""

11. - Top - End - #581
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    HAHAHAHA! Gnomespeak...

"Right, well they say write what you know, so let's start with that friend of a friend shall we?"

Soren had his human disguise on and sauntered easily into the Dregstown.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Titan in the Playground

With the option of finding Serris' contact not immediately available, you decide to simply explore the area a bit. Even if you don't find anything, a bit of local geography is always nice to have (especially in regards to potential escape routes, should the place end up not quite as out-of-Erish-reach as it seems) and it's better than standing around until evening. The group - certainly an odd combination, even here - gets quite a few odd looks from the locals, but none of them seem particularly hostile. You are several times accosted by vendors of suspicious nature, selling everything from shoe soles ("You're clearly the traveling type; these will make a day's walk feel like nothing!") to things that you're well aware were illegal even before the occupation (the so-called 'Fruit of the North', a powerful anesthetic that also causes feelings of invincibility, enhanced sensory perception and is highly addictive, for example), but shake them off without trouble. About an hour of walking the streets reveals that the area seems to be made mostly of house clumps, separated by large flat areas often themselves filled with tents, trash heaps or shrines to various deities (all in disrepair).

One group, larger than the rest, ends in a larger building. Clearly well-built, it's constructed from logs of wood rather than normal building materials. It seems to consist of three main sections: a wide front area with large entrance, a taller section probably split into two stories and one that extends to around where the forest starts. Each section has a simple stone chimney, smoke comes from the one furthest in the back. It's clearly the home (or other property) or someone with quite a bit of wealth, an idea that seems to be supported by the armed man standing at the door.

One building you're passing has an open door and, as you approach, you realize that the (badly burned) sign involves a tavern. Just then, there's a bit of commotion inside, and you hear a voice from inside. Clearly female, clearly drunk, and very much elven.

"Ehh?! I'll show you too much to drink! Sernon-get-hey! No, let go of me! Sernonnnn!" The raging elf's voice grows louder and closer. Before long its owner emerges. She's struggling in the arms of a slight elven man, who's slowly hauling her away from the door. The woman is clad in a black robe, bearing a few clearly fresh wet spots, her white hair messily thrown about by her thrashing. Her eyes, an unnatural black rather than a normal color like blue or brown, settle on your group after a few moments and she instantly stops moving. The elf hesitantly sets her down, and she adjusts her cloak, revealing one tattooed bare shoulder.

Conveniently accurate image
    Spoiler
    Show

"Well...hello there!" She says, gaze shooting over you all, breaking into a grin as she sees Uthlas. Her elven accent is strong, probably strengthened by the drink. "You're...whoare yehguys?"

Uthlas and Danid
    Spoiler
    Show
    The armed man is an elf, although he's more thickset than most. It's not that easy to tell he isn't a human from this distance.

13. - Top - End - #583
    Troll in the Playground

Danid

Danid eyes the lady in a rather cool fashion. Drunkards, brawlers...not his type of folk. He then shifts his eyes to see if one of his friends feels like talking to her.

14. - Top - End - #584

NecromancerGuy

Uthlas appears somewhat surprised, and somewhat hopeful at seeing elves in this clearly anti-Erish place. Rescinding his earlier decision to maintain a low profile, he moves to try to get a better look at the elf woman's tatoo, while responding to her question. He does not seem nearly as fazed as Danid by the elf's drunkenness.

"Just travelers, passing through, looking for some information. And you? You don't exactly seem like a local..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot check to get a view of the tatoo: (1d20+2)[9]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Uthlas-Reth
    (+3 Dex, -1 Misc)
    Condition None

15. - Top - End - #585
    Troll in the Playground

Soren made note of the town's "mansion" as they passed by. When the drunken elf maiden barged out of the tavern, Soren looked to Serris and winked with a whisper. "I wonder if that's how we looked the other night..."

16. - Top - End - #586
    Titan in the Playground

Uthlas:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can't get a good look at it, unfortunately.

The elf's attention immediately focuses on Uthlas as he speaks and she grins as the caster looks at her. "Mmhmmm, 'information', huh?" She winks, then turns to the elf with her. "'ey Sernon, make use of yourself and go off to find Keren. Tell him I'll be returning earlier than expected," as she finishes her order, the elf nods and turns, going off down the street.

Turning back to you all, the elf shrugs. "Had to get rid of 'em. When you hire for looks you sometimes need to be obvious. Anyways, 'bout me...I'm certainly a local! I've been here with my work since, eh...mmmm... at least three years.

I'm curious, though, 'bout what kind'v information would bring an uncorralled book like you out here,"
    at this, the elf raises both her eyebrows and smiles, crossing her arms. It's a very clear 'Ha! I got you!' look.

Uthlas recognizes 'uncorralled book' to be a somewhat derogatory term for the Order of the Unchained Tome.

Serris smiles back at Soren. "I'm not sure about you, but even when I'm drunk I try to keep more grace about me than, well, our friend here,"

The elf doesn't seem to notice your side conversation.

17. - Top - End - #587

NecromancerGuy

"Perhaps you have heard of an entity known as the Crimson Smith. We seek to know who or what he is, and where to find him."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Uthlas-Reth
    (+3 Dex, -1 Misc)
    Condition None

18. - Top - End - #588
    Titan in the Playground

"Crims'n Smith? Yeah, I c'n tell ya some stuff...well, I could. Y'see, I have pretty good connections around here," the elf continues, smiling. "However, I'm not all that charitable, so y'd need to give me a reason, y'know?" As she speaks, she shifts slowly, before reaching the point where she begins to tip over and notices it, righting herself before looking at you as if nothing happened.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Troll in the Playground

Danid

Danid eyes Soren and Uthlas briefly, expressing his reluctance to trust a drunk and apparently loose-headed elf. Of course, she is the best lead at the moment, so he decides to trust on Uthlas' ability to judge the trustworthyness of his kin.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Troll in the Playground

"Maybe we could buy here a drink?" Soren said sarcastically...

21. - Top - End - #591

NecromancerGuy

At being asked to pay for information, Uthlas appears somewhat disapproving and begins speaking in a very formal, businesslike manner.

"Hrrmph. I do believe that information should be freely exchanged, and while I realize that not everyone may share that opinion, you aren't exactly in a state where I would trust all information you provide to be entirely accurate. As you no doubt have gathered, I am rather loath to pay for uncertain information, although if you desire some information yourself, perhaps we can work something out. I am rather knowledgeable in matters both divine and arcane, and judging from your apparel, you appear to be someone who could be in need of such information, tavern antics aside."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Uthlas-Reth
    (+3 Dex, -1 Misc)
    Condition None

22. - Top - End - #592
    Titan in the Playground

The elf seems insulted when Uthlas mentions unreliable information, expression becoming clearly agitated.

"Not entirely acc'rate? I'll give you acc'rate! I'll give you that'n...'n...you'll wish! I can make the black ones, but you won't get any!" She gestures wildly, the motion throwing her briefly off balance. All of you notice a brief darkening of the air around her fingers - Uthlas recognizes it as a brief gathering of magical energy.

"...Tell ye what. I c'n bring ya t' the smith, 'n'ye show me some 'canum," the elf woman continues, placing her feet widely apart, blinking a few times and seeming more concentrated.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Troll in the Playground

Soren smirked again.

"I didn't know 'Sudden Sobriety' was even a spell..."

24. - Top - End - #594
    Troll in the Playground

Danid

Danid just stands there, mouth slightly open in amazement at this lady. So far this appears to work out, so he is not complaining.

25. - Top - End - #595

NecromancerGuy

Uthlas seems a bit taken aback by the elf woman's sudden outburst.

"Ah...well, I am glad we could come to an agreement. Let us proceed then."

Thinking to himself:

*Well, at least she seems to value knowledge, judging by that reaction. Hmm. 'Make the black ones'? Where have I heard that before?*

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge(Arcana) to see whether Uthlas knows anything about what she is referring to by the black ones:
    (1d20+15)[22]

Spellcraft to figure out whether she did cast 'Sudden Sobriety' or something else entirely:
    (1d20+15)[19]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Uthlas-Reth
    (+3 Dex, -1 Misc)
    Condition None

26. - Top - End - #596
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Uthlas
    Show
    She didn't cast a spell - this sort of visible gathering of magical energy is something common among those with either an inborn talent for magic (those who cast spells or work magic without schooling) or those who possess so much magical energy that it can barely be contained by them (no one or thing in living memory, but legends tell of ancient archmages who gave off strong gusts of magic-empowered wind and constant light because of the magical energy within them).

The elf grins triumphantly. "See? I tol' ya, y'know that'n always works. Get's'm to see who I am," she says, not seeming to be directly speaking with you. She turns and claps her hands, beginning to make her way down the street. Before long, it becomes clear that, if she has just cast some sobriety spell, it's not a good one, as her gait includes quite a bit of drunken staggering. Every now and then her constant talk (if you bother to listen, you learn that she's going on and on about how great and smart she is and how you all will regret making her angry when she shows you what she can do, etc.) gets louder as she swears about "Sernon, the lazy leaf, always running off" and "can't swagg'r properly if 'e's runnin'".

It's slow going, but slowly you make your way to the end of the street. Once there, you see someone familiar. The elf who had been sent off earlier - "Sernon!" your drunken guide exclaims, before going off into a brief, mashed-together oath including sleeping alone and cold beds in Elven.

Spoiler: Uthlas
    Show
    As a native speaker, you realize that she's using a slang-heavy quasi-dialect of Elven that is commonly referred to as 'Trashspeak' by those of educated background and 'Guttertongue' by those less averse to it.

Behind him, coming in a brisk stride, is a thickset elf you recognize as the armed man from the large building you saw earlier. At the sight of him, your guide straightens up, tightens her fists and breathes in deeply.

"Good afternoon!" The elf begins, closing into conversational distance. He's dressed in light leather armor - a few hardened strips of material over normal clothing - and has a longsword at his side. He seems fairly friendly, though, with a smile on his face (unlike most elves, it bears a strong tan). As his green eyes drift to your 'guide', his smile turns into a frown.

"Don't ev'n!" She begins, but he shoots rapid-fire Elven at her before she gets any further. She replies, just as frantically, and they argue for a few moments before turning to you. It seems they had some exchange about her going out and drinking - "dragging Sernon along with you like some pet" and "Tillet, you're going to make Affie regret her decision" are the strongest bits of the man's speech, while the more slurred "Keren ye'r terr'ble!" seems to be the best your drunken guide can respond with.

"I'm sorry, she gets carried away-"

"I have it und'r c'ntrol!"

"You're here to see the Smith, I assume?"

"Ughf! You stupid-!" Not even finishing, face red with rage, your (now former) guide throws and arm around Sernon and storms off, grumbling as the sword-bearing elf sighs. Sernon himself seems happy to leave with the drunken, ranting elf.

"...I'm sorry you had to deal with that. Normally, she can keep herself under control, but today..." the tan elf rubs the bridge of his nose, stress clear in his expression, before sighing. "So, care to tell me what she tried to swindle you out of to meet the Smith?"

Spoiler: Knowledge (Local) DC 15
    Show
    The tan marks him as a wild elf. High elves and their ilk can rarely hold even a light tan without constant exposure to the midsummer sun.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Troll in the Playground

Danid

Danid smiles at the elf, while casually scratching his wolf between the ears. "No swindle....at least not as far as I could tell..." He shrugs. "We are just looking for the smith. You can help us with that?"

28. - Top - End - #598
    Titan in the Playground

The elf raises his eyebrows. "No swindle? Wow, that's new. Normally she asks for something to bring people to see the Smith, when really she should just be leading you there for nothing..." he sighs.

"Honestly, the only reason she's still around is because she's absurdly talented in her work," he continues, turning away from you all, in the same direction your guide went. "I'll bring you to the Smith. If you don't mind my asking, what's your reason for coming here? If it's something simple I may be able to help you right away," he offers, heading off after checking to see you're all following him.

29. - Top - End - #599
    Troll in the Playground

"That's between us and the Smith." Soren said firmly. "I don't mean to be rude, but we don't yet know each other."

Spoiler
    Show
    Remember Soren has been going around in his human disguise.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Troll in the Playground

Danid

Danid nods in agreement with his gnome friend (that looks like a human).