New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Banned

Default Re: My Little Pony VII: The Grand Galloping Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    My first name plus my middle name apparently means either Bold child or faithful child. When I enter in my last name, I don't get any results.
    what's your last name, if you don't mind my asking?
    Though certainly you've got quite a lot to work with using only what you've posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Huh, my surname apparently is a type of Vietnamese dish. Then again, it's a Chinese name, so the real meaning is probably known only to my grandparents or something.

My first and last name means Devotee of St. Mary and Determination. Ok, this can be an enigma.
    Well, devotee and determination both have similar meanings. And determination can certainly be a distinguishing factor; just look at Berry Ann. Or don't. I'm not comfortable meeting her eyes for too long, myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    My name means ChristBearer Handsome Fox, and I am not particularly handsome or religious.
    who knows? You may be very handsome by fox standards.

@ Scion: Flock Steelfeather. Ace pegasus dogfighter.
    I'm paranoid, too. I cannot in good conscience ask about others names without giving them though, so here hopin' we open the floodgates;

In Hebrew, the name Michael means- Who is like God? Gift from God.*

In Celtic, the name Allen means- Harmony, stone, or noble. Also fair, handsome. Originally a saints name, it was reintroduced to Britain during the Norman Conquest, remained popular throughout the Middle Ages, and was revived in the 19th century.. Other origins for the name Allen include - Celtic, Irish, English.The name Allen is most often used as a boy name or male name.

Waller as a surname is difficult to find, and the standard english meaning, "mason", is fitting but inaccurate.
    Traced back far enough, it becomes 'Valer', meaning something akin to of the valley, and was carried by Norman and Saxon soldiers, with written records going back to 1066. Beyond that, I can find nothing other than speculation. Waller as a Germanic first name means Leader of an Army though, if the Internet has any reliability.*

I'm finding a lot of vindication for the otherwise self-glorifying text wall I threw at PhoeKun so many threads ago, though. That's nice, makes me feel less warmongering.

-

As an aside: names you've chosen for yourself tend to be equally valid, provided you were old enough to put thought into it when you came up with said name.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Dwarf in the Playground

Let's see... my first and middle name come out as Supplanter and Victorious People... so.. I take the place of victorious people by force?

My last name doesn't show up under current American spelling or the original French spelling.. and I can't seem to get it to pop up with Google either, so I have no idea what my last name means.. this vexes me.
    An army of squirrels is still an army and being gnawed to death is a really bad way to go. - Squirrelmancer
    Custom avatar by me!

3. - Top - End - #693
    Ettin in the Playground

My first and last name means either The Best Purpose Mountain or Lion Mountain, depending on whether you use the shortened version of the first.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

4. - Top - End - #694
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    @ Scion: Flock Steelfeather. Ace pegasus dogfighter.
    Whilst awesome, that doesn't fit me at all.

On the other hand, Flock Leadwing, bookish pegasus with fear of heights and associated social problems could easily work.

Flock Ironhorn, creepy but well-meaning unicorn working past their social inexperience and ineptitude is also fitting.

Or Flock Stoneheart, cold earth pony, hedonistic to the point of evil could also be a good fit, though one which is pretty much confined to theory IRL unless I come across a way to remove sadness from the whole world simultaneously (silly humans and their mourning the dead).

So, sympathetic, pathetic or outright cruel? Personally, I like the first two more than the last, but that's less because it's despicable as because it doesn't fit the show and I like to think I'm a bit more special than an earth pony.

Leadwing or Ironhorn, any preferences?

Edit:@ SiuiS, while I remember, I have no idea why but sometimes I can't open your spoilers. It doesn't happen all the time, and they work when they're quoted and I can look at them via the quote function, but it never happens for anyone else's spoilers. It's weird and I thought you'd like to know.
    Last edited by ScionoftheVoid; 2011-05-13 at 04:01 PM.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Ogre in the Playground

Irbis, your name is rather fitting. I like it, it suits you. Meaning wise, at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    To be perfectly honest, that sounds like an awesome pony name already.
    Should I feel offended? :P

I mean, I just can't see it...

Also! Someone said BB is full of ruth:

American Heritage Dictionary: ruth

Compassion or pity for another.
    Sorrow or misery about one's own misdeeds or flaws.
    ?
    Above Us Only Sky

6. - Top - End - #696
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Skipping my middle name as it is strictly religous...

My pony name would be either Red Peace, Little Peace, or Peacehill, Or Peacegift Red.

Yeeeeaaaa
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

7. - Top - End - #697
    Ogre in the Playground

Last name doesn't come up with much useful, but Jonathan means 'Gift Of God', but I'm not sure how to use that without sounding pretentious.

8. - Top - End - #698

Quote Originally Posted by ScionoftheVoid View Post
    Whilst awesome, that doesn't fit me at all.

On the other hand, Flock Leadwing, bookish pegasus with fear of heights and associated social problems could easily work.

Flock Ironhorn, creepy but well-meaning unicorn working past their social inexperience and ineptitude is also fitting.

Or Flock Stoneheart, cold earth pony, hedonistic to the point of evil could also be a good fit, though one which is pretty much confined to theory IRL unless I come across a way to remove sadness from the whole world simultaneously (silly humans and their mourning the dead).

So, sympathetic, pathetic or outright cruel? Personally, I like the first two more than the last, but that's less because it's despicable as because it doesn't fit the show and I like to think I'm a bit more special than an earth pony.

Leadwing or Ironhorn, any preferences?

Edit:@ SiuiS, while I remember, I have no idea why but sometimes I can't open your spoilers. It doesn't happen all the time, and they work when they're quoted and I can look at them via the quote function, but it never happens for anyone else's spoilers. It's weird and I thought you'd like to know.
    So those quote boxes aren't playing games with just me. Huh?

9. - Top - End - #699
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    Last name doesn't come up with much useful, but Jonathan means 'Gift Of God', but I'm not sure how to use that without sounding pretentious.
    Work the sun or the moon into it!

Quote Originally Posted by ScionoftheVoid View Post

Of the ideas you presented, I like this one the most. Although from the sounds of things you seem like a very sad pony.
    Last edited by PhoeKun; 2011-05-13 at 04:34 PM.

10. - Top - End - #700

Quote Originally Posted by invinible View Post
    So those quote boxes aren't playing games with just me. Huh?
    It's a conspiracy to extend our procrastination and mildly annoy us! Hmm... We'll need Raz Fox or Kyuubi so we can use the Orbital Friendship Cannon to reflect off of my watch, out the window, do some cool trick shot and hit SiuiS' phone, deactivating his ability to use spoiler tags. Let's see them stop us from reading white text. This post was a distraction, steal their spoiler-tag-locky-thing, we'll use it ourselves.
    Edit: @ ^ Being the worst pessimist ever has its benefits, as does being emotionally deadened (damn it, pessimism, man, pessimism!). And I'm getting better, veeery slowly.
    Last edited by ScionoftheVoid; 2011-05-13 at 04:40 PM.

11. - Top - End - #701
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    What you are missing, Irbis, is that being nice to rich people and rude to poor people is considered a flaw. It's not just another trait, but definitively a flaw. This is directly related to Rarity being so cool; she is nice while still having what others call 'gold digger' tendencies. She is not limited by wanting to be rich, even though it helps define her.

On the other hoof, Blueblood catering his actions to station rather than the person bearing the station is a quality I find irredeemable. He is, by design, full of himself and useless. He refuses food, not based on taste, but because he can't afford to be seen eating such low-brow food.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eh? Care to point out where I said it's not a flaw? He might behave like this because it is expected from him, or because it's the only way of behaving he knows, I don't know, but both possibilities are more interesting than one-dimensional rude pony.

Plus, Rarity behaved pretty similar in demanding situations - remember her fawning to Twilight in Ep 1 or how she was disgusted of getting her hooves dirty in LBYS? How is that different? Yes, she is more sociable because she lives in small city and doesn't have title to fall on, but I can see her just as snobbish had she been born in Canterlot.

Spoiler
    Show
    Now, this may be just me, but anyone who turns down food because it doesn't fit their social standing is dumb. Food is food, and good food transcends class boundaries.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eh, I think it's just cultural difference here. You guys react much more strongly, perhaps because you don't have as much direct contact with Old World's customs and etiquette (that is pretty stupid sometimes, yes).

But... Aren't you doing exactly the same? I mean, most bronies say they would buy MLP clothes if they don't scream they are MLP, if they are discreet. Why? Clothes are clothes. Men won't wear pink - why? Colour is colour. Etc. Blueblood won't be seen eating common food - and you guys declare him evil without learning reasons first. What if he is Celestia's main negotiator with noble houses, and others seeing him with common food would damage his standing during important negotiations? :P

Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm contracting the number of people he's polite to, and giving a different reason to be rude to Rarity. I don't think that he's rude because she's lower class than him specifically, he's rude because he's always been able to get away with it. After all, the apples prove that he has zero tolerance for low class things. He stayed with Rarity, so he doesn't percieve her as such. He's as polite as he can muster to Princess Celestia, but anyone else needs to put up with his defective personality or get out. His peers probably put up with him because of his important station and the hope of influence, while servants would put up with him because they were payed to. Rarity just decided to get out without sparing his feelings.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Let me point out that out of the whole party, grand total of one pony bought anything at AJ's. Are they all snubbing low class things?

As for his treatment of Rarity - this is precisely what's inconsistent. He treats her as equal, only to suddenly fall into 'low class' mode when he actually has to do something for her. I feel he cannot do these things for her, whatever the reason, not that wouldn't do it. In fact, he would have been a deep character if he was, as you guys say, lonely, knowing exactly what he is doing wrong, but doing these things out of duty/obligation, knowing he cannot fail. Just like certain Sunny Skies
    Above Us Only Sky

12. - Top - End - #702
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Irbis View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eh? Care to point out where I said it's not a flaw? He might behave like this because it is expected from him, or because it's the only way of behaving he knows, I don't know, but both possibilities are more interesting than one-dimensional rude pony.

Plus, Rarity behaved pretty similar in demanding situations - remember her fawning to Twilight in Ep 1 or how she was disgusted of getting her hooves dirty in LBYS? How is that different? Yes, she is more sociable because she lives in small city and doesn't have title to fall on, but I can see her just as snobbish had she been born in Canterlot.

Spoiler
    Show
    Eh, I think it's just cultural difference here. You guys react much more strongly, perhaps because you don't have as much direct contact with Old World's customs and etiquette (that is pretty stupid sometimes, yes).

But... Aren't you doing exactly the same? I mean, most bronies say they would buy MLP clothes if they don't scream they are MLP, if they are discreet. Why? Clothes are clothes. Men won't wear pink - why? Colour is colour. Etc. Blueblood won't be seen eating common food - and you guys declare him evil without learning reasons first. What if he is Celestia's main negotiator with noble houses, and others seeing him with common food would damage his standing during important negotiations? :P

Spoiler
    Show
    Let me point out that out of the whole party, grand total of one pony bought anything at AJ's. Are they all snubbing low class things?

As for his treatment of Rarity - this is precisely what's inconsistent. He treats her as equal, only to suddenly fall into 'low class' mode when he actually has to do something for her. I feel he cannot do these things for her, whatever the reason, not that wouldn't do it. In fact, he would have been a deep character if he was, as you guys say, lonely, knowing exactly what he is doing wrong, but doing these things out of duty/obligation, knowing he cannot fail. Just like certain Sunny Skies
    Spoiler
    Show

I also wonder if Applejack picked a poor venue for an apple cart. I mean, it's a party. Presumably with FREE food provided.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

13. - Top - End - #703
    Ettin in the Playground

Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

14. - Top - End - #704
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Irbis View Post
    Which would be interesting if the Prince is actually Charming, and she was snubbed only by the whole 'minor' nobility part. Maybe if she hold actually important title, or was first in line to her family's own, she would have been treated entirely different, like a lady? After all, her impression must have come from somewhere, and the gossip magazines might only picture his behaviour towards other celebrities
    Every argument the relies to the accurateness of gossip magazines is inherently wrong. About 99,99% of equestria's population will never meet BB, so they can make up whatever they want. And the story of the handsome, wealthy, nice and single prince sells better to housewives and girls than the story of prince un-charming.

I'm named after an obscure old-germanic god of fertility, a Christian saint and a tool of mining (the later in a in a extreme rare dialectic version). Which means that in a world of 6 billion people I'm the only person to wear that name. And I can be pretty sure that never in human history, past or present, another being will wear my name, unless I name my hypothetical sons/daughters after me. (I can't decide if that is depressing or uplifting.) So my ponyname would be Raintalker Groundsplit. I leave out the middle name, since it would be either repetitive with "Earthworker" or unponyesk with Dragonslayer.

@Gamerlord: Good news
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

15. - Top - End - #705
    Ogre in the Playground

Raz made Cereal's favourites.

124 submissions holy celestia this fandom is fast

16. - Top - End - #706
    Troll in the Playground

So I just got around to reading some of the linked GitP fanfics (I know, I know, I'm super slow) and I have to say bravo PhoeKun; Rainbow Dash x Fluttershy has always been my favorite ship
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

17. - Top - End - #707
    Ogre in the Playground

Also in the meanings of names, mine is 'noble one who worked with metal.'

It really doesn't pay off for my last name to be Smith.

Though 'Noble' just makes me think of the noble gases. So small jump to 'Neon Lights.' Not terrible but pretty much not connected to my name in any real way.

18. - Top - End - #708

Quote Originally Posted by Khosan View Post
    Also in the meanings of names, mine is 'noble one who worked with metal.'

It really doesn't pay off for my last name to be Smith.

Though 'Noble' just makes me think of the noble gases. So small jump to 'Neon Lights.' Not terrible but pretty much not connected to my name in any real way.
    Hey, that's fine as long as you can explain the jump. I got Flock Leadwing despite my name being much longer and more complicated than that (protip: don't give your child a hyphenated last name, a middle name and a name which is pronounced the same way as an initial all at once, avoid even two of the three).

19. - Top - End - #709
    Troll in the Playground

words that come from my full name meanings are pure/ice/brave/clear/beloved ....now to somehow come up with a pony name....

anypony want to help?

20. - Top - End - #710
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crown of Thorns View Post
    Raz made Cereal's favourites.

124 submissions holy celestia this fandom is fast
    HahahaHAHAHAHA

VINDICATION

Victory is miiiine

Also I swear on Thanqol's grave that I'll have MS Chapter 3 up before I go to bed tonight!
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

21. - Top - End - #711
    Titan in the Playground

what's your last name, if you don't mind my asking?
    My last name is "Childers" Pronounced like "chill" not "child"

22. - Top - End - #712
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    (has already been vaporized by orbital friendship beams)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Rainbow Dash shipping? WHERE? WHERE? YOU MUST TELL ME FOR I MUST KNOW! *Thanqol is also subsequently disintigrated by Orbital Friendship Rays*
    ...friendship rays aren't fatal, silly! They change you to a happy, friendly person.
    Which is a gross breach of your rights, but hey, you're nice now.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    To my Faithful Student,

Go watch Deep Space 9. Expect Spike to belch up the full DVD set in a few minutes.

Yours in Star Trek,
    Princess Celestia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    For posterity? This ought to be good.

Dear Princess Celestia

Voyager is obviously the superior Star Trek series.

Your Faithful Student, Grif.
    PS: I'll be hiding in this cave here.
    To my Faithful Student,

Breaking with a friend is not something to be taken lightly. You need to choose when to do so carefully. Therefore, I think you should reconsider breaking with your friends over TNG and DS9.

The other show is fair game, though.

Yours in All Good Health,
    Princess Celestia.
    I like them all.
    ...TNG is the best though. PICARD YAY!

It pleases me to know that the sight of Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash doing cuddly and sweet things together immediately calls my name to mind, and reminds me that I really need to get that story finished so they will stop making out in my dreams.
    Can I have your dreams?

And as far as names go, my net-names mean Lucky Lover and Admiring Lover.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

23. - Top - End - #713
    Ogre in the Playground

Pony names?

[Religious] Steward/Guardian Happiness

Well, I don't have any good ideas for that. Good thing I'm a human, I suppose.

24. - Top - End - #714
    Troll in the Playground

HahahaHAHAHAHA

VINDICATION

Victory is miiiine

Also I swear on Thanqol's grave that I'll have MS Chapter 3 up before I go to bed tonight!
    Eh. Bueno didn't make the favorites, but it was listed first after the favorites. I'll call that a moral victory.

And I swear on Thanqol's grave that I have been convinced by a friend to do a massive rewrite for FFF 5, so it is delayed again! Yay!
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

25. - Top - End - #715
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    ...friendship rays aren't fatal, silly! They change you to a happy, friendly person.
    Which is a gross breach of your rights, but hey, you're nice now.\
    Well, it was that or killing him, and I'm pretty sure murder is an even grosser breach of rights.

At least now he can be a happy healthy productive member of society rather than worm food.

26. - Top - End - #716
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, it was that or killing him, and I'm pretty sure murder is an even grosser breach of rights.

At least now he can be a happy healthy productive member of society rather than worm food.
    Until Identity Crisis rolls around, and he finds out that you mind-ravished him after he ravished EsperDerek.

...'s secret cupcake recipe.

And then Lix Lorn finds out that you also mind-ravished her because she argued against it.

And it's all the fault of Thanqol's ex-wife.

freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

27. - Top - End - #717
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    words that come from my full name meanings are pure/ice/brave/clear/beloved ....now to somehow come up with a pony name....

anypony want to help?
    Clearcold?
    Icy Brave?
    Clarity?

Yours is hard.

*gives up*

Okay now need help for my RPG

Trying to tie each mane pony to a "type of physical charisma"

Fluttershy-cute
    RD- cool
    Applejack- strong
    Pinkie Pie- funny
    Rarity- stylish

What the heck Twilight Sparkle.
    Last edited by Orzel; 2011-05-13 at 06:24 PM.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

28. - Top - End - #718
    Titan in the Playground

And then Lix Lorn finds out that you also mind-ravished her because she argued against it.
    Yeah, no, that never happened. Even if I was capable of mind ravishing Lix, I wouldn't. She doesn't try to murder my friends.

29. - Top - End - #719
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, no, that never happened. Even if I was capable of mind ravishing Lix, I wouldn't. She doesn't try to murder my friends.
    So you don't deny being Thanqol's ex-wife and the guilty culprit? Interesting, very interesting.

Oh yeah. It's all coming together.[/Warburton]
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #720
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Orzel View Post
    Trying to tie each mane pony to a "type of physical charisma"

What the heck Twilight Sparkle.
    "Adorkable"?