New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony VII: The Grand Galloping Thread

Yes, please

---

BTW, this was supposed to be the ending of my 300 word story:

Spoiler
    Show
    Incessant wind swept the forest. Murmurs grew as it flew across the green woods, carrying leaves to faraway lands, whispering of tales long gone. A few shadows scurried out there still, of little forest critters, but they were of the few, the weak and the timid, and the hopelessly lost in this new era.

It was... immortality of a sort.

Her memory was immortality of a sort. It was the only thing she had left.

In the night, when the wind died and silence ruled the place of shadowed green, she remembered. And they all lived again, once more.

Currently, it's the only part I feel I can leave in without major revision should I make it into a full length one, as is the plan now.

So, what do you think? Is the concept worth writing?
    Above Us Only Sky

2. - Top - End - #812
    Ettin in the Playground

So moving is over and unpacking has begun.

To the name thing, if we haven't moved on too far from that subject, what would you do with my name?

The first can mean "a butler or steward with control of the provisions of a household," the middle is a contraction of "western town" and the last means "saints."

I trust you guys can come up with an interesting ponification of the name.

As a bonus, for the fiancee - her name means "gust of wind; curly-haired," "sun-ray, shining light," "fisherman"
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

3. - Top - End - #813
    Ettin in the Playground

Summer Achievement out on blogpony.

Maybe we could keep a score for our local bronies.

Summer Achievement List Master Post

4. - Top - End - #814
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    So moving is over and unpacking has begun.

To the name thing, if we haven't moved on too far from that subject, what would you do with my name?

The first can mean "a butler or steward with control of the provisions of a household," the middle is a contraction of "western town" and the last means "saints."

I trust you guys can come up with an interesting ponification of the name.

As a bonus, for the fiancee - her name means "gust of wind; curly-haired," "sun-ray, shining light," "fisherman"
    Stockwell? Close Horizon? Stockwell Hightown/Highton?

Zephyr Brighthook? Zephyr Brightline? Annette Aurora?

I'm not great at this, sorry.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Troll in the Playground

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju-V9...&feature=feedu New vid from those two guys who talk about ponies, Otaku Ascended. They namedrop Sunny Skies All Day Long. No name drops for my fics. Not even lemon drops. Or vanilla lemon drops. Or halepeno vanilla lemon drops. Le sigh.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-05-14 at 05:50 PM.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

6. - Top - End - #816
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Irbis View Post
    Yes, please

---

BTW, this was supposed to be the ending of my 300 word story:

Spoiler
    Show
    Incessant wind swept the forest. Murmurs grew as it flew across the green woods, carrying leaves to faraway lands, whispering of tales long gone. A few shadows scurried out there still, of little forest critters, but they were of the few, the weak and the timid, and the hopelessly lost in this new era.

It was... immortality of a sort.

Her memory was immortality of a sort. It was the only thing she had left.

In the night, when the wind died and silence ruled the place of shadowed green, she remembered. And they all lived again, once more.

Currently, it's the only part I feel I can leave in without major revision should I make it into a full length one, as is the plan now.

So, what do you think? Is the concept worth writing?
    I would very much encourage you to move forward with this, yes. Highly poetic and beautiful, if less than 100% bright and smiley (not that such needs to be the case). Please do write.

7. - Top - End - #817
    Titan in the Playground

[Moderate Rant]So, um, did I watch the same series as everyone else?

'Cos I seem to be the only one on the interwebs not ragging on Princess Celestia for being mean to poor little Nightmare Moon. Yeah, I know it's a standing joke/burgeoning meme that Celestia is some kind of Palpatine-like evil autocrat, but really, sometimes somebody has to offer a different perspective, as I don't really want to see Celestia tarred with the same brush as, say, poor old Dumbledore.

I hold that Luna getting banished for a thousand years was not only entirely justified, but maybe not harsh enough punishment? Because, I seem to be the only one who clearly remembers Luna trying to cloak Equestria in eternal night. Which is as grand a scheme planned in kind by no lesser evil entity than the likes of, I dunno, Morgoth, who made Sauron look like Fluttershy (among many, many others). Continual night would be basically tantamont to the murder of the entire population of Equestria, and possibly the entire planet. So, y'know, nothing serious, then.

The ponys have demonstrated, clearly, that while they can control the weather, they don't have control over sunlight, nor of plants (hence why Winter Wrap Up was necessary, to grow the plants). And I'm pretty sure it gets cold at night (else why have blankets and warm fires?) So cloaking the land in eternal night would be anything from catastrophic to cataclysmic, depending on whether Luna would merely make it night in Equestria or actually stop the sun from rising (as in, halt the rotation of the planet). The latter would lead to the literal end of the world, as one half freezes and one half burns and all plant and animal life dies. In either case, the most likely outcome for the ponies would be a long, lingering death of starvation in the dark and cold.

It is entirely possible Luna did not know the results of what see could have done, being royalty/divinity and not probably ever having to grow anything; or she may simply have not thought about it. She may even have realised her error. But odds are, by the time she twigged her mistake, it could easily have been far too late, and with nothing do be done except weep for her error as the people she would have worship her slowly starve. Ignorance, even assuming youthful ignorance, is not an excuse for what would amount to genocide. Considering the full magnitude of even a least-worst case scenario is repulsive, even to me (and probably conjures up the sort of imagery not really in keeping with this generally light-hearted thread. It would be, at the very least, a brutal and horrific destruction of the bright and innocent land we've all been enchanted by.)

I don't know what a typical sentence for attempted murder is, but I'm pretty sure even at a year a pony, a thousand years is probably a bit on the generous side ('cos there's got to be more than a thousand ponies in Equestria, let alone anyone else who might have been affected.)

And yet Luna seems to be getting everone's sympathy because she looked a bit sad and cute for the thirty seconds she was seen after she was soundly beaten. (Nevermind she'd just spent a good chunk of the last episode trying to hurt, maim or possibly even kill1 seven innocents, including Fluttershy, who practically defines the term...)[/Moderate rant]

Now, all that said, I don't hold any particular grudge against Luna. I admire her attempt to conquest as a fellow-evil doer. And if she's truly sorry, well fine. She's served her time, okay. Heck, I'm even looking foward to see if she shows up in season two, and where she goes from here. But her moon-banishment punishment was totally justified, I fear. (I'd have executed her there and then, myself, but like I say, Evil...)

So, y'know, before feeling too sorry for Princess "I-nearly-killed-the-entire-planet" Luna, and thereby that thinking Celestia is some sort of harsh, Draconian dictator, you might wanna bear some of that in mind... Just food for thought, all I'm sayin'.

Either that, or Luna is still very much evil, yet sufficently cunning that, as soon as she realised she was beaten, she wne tback to plan B and exuded an aura of charm and cute-nitude, allowing her to escape punishment, with a few fakes sighs and quivering lower lip, and be taken right into the heart of power, to plot her next move. An aura so powerful that it affects anyone who beholds her image and I'm only immune because as a Lich, I'm unilaterally immune to mid-affecting effects. In which case, fair play to her, and good luck, 'cos if so she deserves another crack at the throne!

Actually, that's such an awesome idea, I hope it comes true!

1Because don't tell me that the manticore was in no danger of seriously hurting of killing one of the ponies (even if it wasn't trying, it could have easily done so by accident). Again, Luna may not have wanted to do that (or understood the full ramifications of what she was doing), but that's of scant consequence when someone has to tell Applebloom her older sister isn't coming home. To paraphrase the oft-repeated quote, it's all fun and games until somebody gets their spine crushed by a manticore. Then it really ain't funny at all.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2011-05-14 at 06:17 PM.

8. - Top - End - #818
    Banned

Well... It';s just... To me, it doesn't feel in tune with other pony names.

How about right now? :P
    I actually thought it was fitting. Oh well. I'll see if I can muster an argument...

Right now there is a Celestia standing in front of a river in a circle. I checked when someone mentioned rainbow dash.

And the writing is nice, I'd say follow through.

And no more phone for me. Surprise inspection someone today :/

9. - Top - End - #819
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju-V9...&feature=feedu New vid from those two guys who talk about ponies, Otaku Ascended. They namedrop Sunny Skies All Day Long. No name drops for my fics. Not even lemon drops. Or vanilla lemon drops. Or jalapeno vanilla lemon drops. Le sigh.
    They did?

*watches*

Oh right, one of those guys hangs out on Allspark, so he probably heard about it from there first. But hey, free press!

10. - Top - End - #820
    Pixie in the Playground

Sup everyone. The ponify your name idea prompted me to post here. Its an interesting idea really. My name translates out to: beautiful/handsome, victorious people, powerful/brave.

So, I'd be Victory, wandering unicorn swordspony. He's also a hit with the ladies. His cutie mark would be a shield with a sword laid on top.

This totally doesn't sound like me at all, but I like it.

Peace out bronies.

11. - Top - End - #821
    Troll in the Playground

@ Aotrs Commander

You make an excellent point. I've never been one to see Celestia in a harsh light, personally, so I have no issue with anything you've said.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

12. - Top - End - #822
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by yukigono View Post
    My name translates out to: beautiful/handsome, victorious people, powerful/brave.

So, I'd be Victory, wandering unicorn swordspony. He's also a hit with the ladies. His cutie mark would be a shield with a sword laid on top.

This totally doesn't sound like me at all, but I like it.
    I personally think Nike would be just as fitting.
    Above Us Only Sky

13. - Top - End - #823
    Pixie in the Playground

I personally think Nike would be just as fitting.
    Possibly, I like that one too.
    Last edited by yukigono; 2011-05-14 at 06:23 PM.

14. - Top - End - #824
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    *Snip*
    I don't consider Celestia Iron hoof, I just think it's possible there was a better solution than banishing Luna and putting her in a dungeon in the place where she was banished. Although, we get a small summary of what happened and that's pretty much it, so it's impossible to know what exactly happened before Celestia resorted to that.

15. - Top - End - #825
    Colossus in the Playground

[Moderate Rant] *Snip*
    You're assuming Earth-based thermodynamics and weather in Equestria, where the sun is raised every morning by a pretty white pony. You also assume that Equestria is round and that it rotates. And these are some pretty dodgy assumptions to make in a world where magic winged ponies kick clouds, manufacture snowflakes and schedule weather.

I actually lay even odds that eternal night Equestria would have been a bit of a heckhole - certainly colder - but everyone would still be alive, and everyone would still be, to a degree, happy. Luna's motivation was always "I'm lonely, love me" and at no point did she want anypony dead. Manticore aside, every other attempt to stop the mane cast from storming her castle was just designed to scare them off - crying dragon, scary trees, and even directly trying to convince Rainbow Dash to be her friend. And even the manticore wouldn't have been a problem if they did the sensible thing and ran rather than A) Derpcharging it and B) Going up to it and putting their heads in it's mouth.

TL;DR you make way too many assumptions, a lot of which have no grounding in a magical world where the laws of thermodynamics are left at the door where they should be.

EDIT: Wait a minute, I totally remember you from the WizardsOTC boards!
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-05-14 at 06:49 PM.

16. - Top - End - #826
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    You're assuming Earth-based thermodynamics and weather in Equestria, where the sun is raised every morning by a pretty white pony. You also assume that Equestria is round and that it rotates. And these are some pretty dodgy assumptions to make in a world where magic winged ponies kick clouds, manufacture snowflakes and schedule weather.
    I'm basing my assessment on the fact that the ponies still have to grow food in the normal way; with plants, and they clearly need sunlight for that, or at the very least, heat - else why would Rainbow Dash be clearing clouds and Applejack singing about clearing the snow (heck, that's even in the song). So clearly, to grow food, they do need spring (and thus sunlight). Sort of the whole point of Winter Wrap Up. And they all have warm fires at night and have blankets in their beds, which leads me to believe that it gets cold(er) at night without the sun.

(It was also said that the seasons change themselves outside of Equestria, in the Zecora episode, I think, implying that parts of the world at least don't require maintenance.)

That's all canon, so I stand by my statement a permenant night (and thus a permenant winter) would have been a catastrophe of the highest order.

I doubt very much Luna even considered those implications, though, due to either arrogance, her royal/divine position, a thousand years less of science/magic research, simple youthful lack of fore thought, or most likely, some combination of the aforementioned. She does not strike me as the sort of listen to reason (certainly not at that time, anyway); either due to arrogance or merely the folly of youth. That makes it merely less villainy and more tragedy, but the end result is the same.

Point is, it was a crime of enormous magnitude. Serious. Like, war crimes serious. That she was sorry for it (or sorry she lost, maybe...) does not excuse her of it. And she certainly does not get excused simply because she looks cute and makes sad puppy-eyes.

(Either that or you really need to boost your Will save...)

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol
    EDIT: Wait a minute, I totally remember you from the WizardsOTC boards!
    Infamy!

Infamy, they've all got it infamy!

(I'd apologise for that, but, y'know, Evil...)

But yeah, since 4E came out I made this my primary forum.

17. - Top - End - #827

I'm basing my assessment on the fact that the ponies still have to grow food in the normal way; with plants, and they clearly need sunlight for that, or at the very least, heat - else why would Rainbow Dash be clearing clouds and Applejack singing about clearing the snow (heck, that's even in the song). So clearly, to grow food, they do need spring (and thus sunlight). Sort of the whole point of Winter Wrap Up. And they all have warm fires at night and have blankets in their beds, which leads me to believe that it gets cold(er) at night without the sun.

(It was also said that the seasons change themselves outside of Equestria, in the Zecora episode, I think, implying that parts of the world at least don't require maintenance.)[/SIZE]
    Envision, if you will, a world full of delicious mushrooms.

EDIT: Anyway, when Celestia won she raised the moon herself. Luna could probably have done the same, just making the day shorter.

Infamy!

Infamy, they've all got it infamy!

(I'd apologise for that, but, y'know, Evil...)

But yeah, since 4E came out I made this my primary forum.
    Yeah, I left at around the same time. It's cool to see a face disembodied skull from the old days
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-05-14 at 07:18 PM.

18. - Top - End - #828
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I finally have part one of the Pilot on my DVR, part two reairs next Friday, so one more week until I finally start actually watching the show.

19. - Top - End - #829
    Titan in the Playground

Envision, if you will, a world full of delicious mushrooms.
    Or a land where mineral-eating dragons become a primary food for desparate starving ponies, leading to one of those unthinkably dark and gruesome scenarios...

(Also, if we want to get technical, most funguses are still part of the life cycle, existing in symbiosis with plants, same as animals. You still need plants for mushrooms. Though that might be, granted, an assumption too far for a heavily magical realm.)

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol
    EDIT: Anyway, when Celestia won she raised the moon herself. Luna could probably have done the same, just making the day shorter.
    Oh, sure; that thought has already crossed my mind. I totally agree. However, the question would be, will she realise she needs to do this and pony up fast enough to do it before everything is dead? How long can a plant survive without a daily dose of photosynthesis? Month or two maybe? More, I assume, if Luna caught it right, during the winter, when they'd shut down naturally; but then you have the problem of more limited food stores from the get go. But, either as an evil crackpot or a lonely, desparate filly, I don't see her planning to that level of logistics.

But really, I can't make anything other than a broad guess on her motivations and personality other than from her Nightmare Moon form, and/or giving her the benefit of the doubt by taking her Luna form at face value. Thirty seconds and a couple of lines is really not enough time for me to make a judgement either way.

I have a better judge of Celestia, from her more prevalent on-screen actions, she seems like a genuine Optimus Prime-y sort of good guy er, pony. I don't imagine her taking an action like the banishment lightly, so that fact she did do it suggests that she considered it a very serious offense.

(Counter to that, or course, is the arguement she might well have been young and foolish herself at the time, and did something she later regreted with no means to undo it, which is equally plausible.)

Yeah, I left at around the same time. It's cool to see a face disembodied skull from the old days
    Likewise.

(Right, I have to go meditate to regain my spells, so we can perhaps continue this later.)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2011-05-14 at 07:38 PM.

20. - Top - End - #830

Or a land where mineral-eating dragons become a primary food for desparate starving ponies, leading to one of those unthinkably dark and gruesome scenarios...
    As long as Spike gets eaten first, I'm OK with this.

But really, I can't make anything other than a broad guess on her motivations and personality other than from her Nightmare Moon form, and/or giving her the benefit of the doubt by taking her Luna form at face value. Thirty seconds and a couple of lines is really not enough time for me to make a judgement either way.
    In the opening narration, we're told that she was jealous of Celestia and was angry that everypony slept through her beautiful night. Theoretically, as long as everypony became nocturnal she'd be perfectly happy. To me, the Eternal Night thing seems to be a LOOK AT ME.

While it's possible to completely destabilise the weather system, sure, I reckon a huge application of magic + Pegasus weather control means that Luna'd be able to normalise things once it became a problem. The world would be darker, colder and probably less fun, but I don't see the possibility of 'everypony dies'.

And goodnight, sir.

21. - Top - End - #831
    Ogre in the Playground

[Moderate Rant]
    1) Celestia tarred; Sorry, best way of describing her was the question of one of my friends: "Why they didn't swapped?" I mean, really, if Luna is so jealous, why not let her raise the sun every other year to let her shine, too?

I don't know what kind of person you need to be to not share your spotlight, but instead banish someone to 1000 year solitary prison, but I'm pretty sure such person is first one I'd give such punishment.

2) Eternal night - clearly, with moon shining its own light, unlike ours, there is still a chance plants will grow in its light. If not, cooperating unicorns might be able to raise the sun themselves, and if not, to create lights giving plants sunlight. This spell is canon. So nope, no extinction in the cards.

3) Rotation of the planet - sorry, Equestria doesn't work that way, sun and moon are small bodies that need to be physically moved. You can even fly too close to one, like Rarity did. I don't know if they provide the light for the whole planet (unlikely), but again, no moving of the planet itself, it's too big.

4) Letting Luna realize her mistake and surrender would have been, IMHO, 1000x better solution than locking her for a millennium to stew in her evil to become truly irredeemable, and actually willing to kill everypony. You'd need a decade of total lack of sunlight, at least, before the damage was too serious.

5) Typical sentence - civilized countries have upper bar on how long sentence can be for a reason, and in general, try to re-socialize prisoners, instead of simply keeping them behind the bars 'serving sentence' style (which is barbaric, IMHO). That goes double for someone so useful and powerful, she needs re-socialization, not medieval lockout in a cave.

6) Luna has my sympathy because I fail to see in which way her sister is better, if anything, Celestia done worse stuff yet continues to bask in glory while knowingly letting her sister rot.

7) Trying to kill everypony? What? If she tried, they would have been dead. She paralysed 4 guard pegasi with a glare, had she tried this while main ponies were on the river or on a cliff...

Instead, we have 6 weak, inept attempts at stopping them that look almost custom-tailored to make them hosts for Elements, thus, convincing most of the fandom these were the work of Celestia, not Luna, who wasted that time trying to destroy Elements in their sphere form. Manticore? Given how durable ponies are, I wouldn't be surprised if they were capable of easily defeating her, seeing they had two mages in the party.

8) Luna being still evil thanks to Celestia's mercilessness would have been nice and totally justified, IMHO. Id like to hear her part of the story, but I feel I'd have supported her instead.
    Above Us Only Sky

22. - Top - End - #832
    Ettin in the Playground

My personal theory re: Nightmare Moon/Luna, as I've said before, is that yes, ponies would die if there was an eternal night. That's what Nightmare Moon wanted. But Luna is to Nightmare Moon as Hal Jordan is to Parallax. The thousand-year lock was the only thing powerful enough to contain the raging fury of Nightmare Moon, and to give Luna a chance to win back some control, which is why the challenges the ponies faced were so carefully tailored to them. Luna couldn't stop Nightmare Moon, but she could give the ponies a chance.

Of course, this is all 100% fanon, but I like to think that there are as many Equestrias as people dare to imagine.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

23. - Top - End - #833
    Ogre in the Playground

Aaand, to demonstrate how Celestia looks like if you analyse her a bit...

Have some happiness :P

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

But, upon consideration, sending her to the sun would have been too harsh. So, it would have been better if she learned how her subjects really have to live by helping them, free of charge, until she repented:

Spoiler
    Show

:P
    Above Us Only Sky

24. - Top - End - #834

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    Of course, this is all 100% fanon, but I like to think that there are as many Equestrias as people dare to imagine.
    Indeed! "Luna is a psychopath who should be killed", "Luna is an innocent victim", "Luna just wants love", "Luna is under demonic possession", are all equally supported by the show's canon. Which is great.

25. - Top - End - #835
    Titan in the Playground

Indeed! "Luna is a psychopath who should be killed", "Luna is an innocent victim", "Luna just wants love", "Luna is under demonic possession", are all equally supported by the show's canon. Which is great.
    Those aren't all mutually exclusive you know. 2 3 and 4 could make for an interesting story.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2011-05-14 at 08:06 PM.

26. - Top - End - #836
    Troll in the Playground

Hm. All I'll say is that you're assuming Celestia really had the option to switch with her. After all, it makes a number of assumptions. These aren't necessarily false assumptions, but in the absence of specific information, the opposite assumption is just as plausible.

1) Celestia was aware of Luna's bitterness. Celestia is a nice pony, but if she has a flaw, it's that she tends to only notice problems when someone specifically tells her about them. Especially if she's busy.

2) Celestia was really in control of the situation when she banished Luna. If a police officer is attacked by an armed assailant, is not the policeman justified in using lethal force to defend him or herself, if there isn't a viable alternative? If the only way Celestia would survive the attack would be to trap her on the moon, can we fault her for doing so?

3) The spell could be modulated to take a different amount of time. Magic spells don't necessarily work in a logical way, i.e. why shouldn't the pumpkin continue to be a stage coach after midnight, why would the prick of a needle make Sleeping Beauty go into a coma, why would the kiss of true love bring Snow White back to life, etc. It could have been a set spell that she either used or didn't use.

4) That Luna was self aware while on the moon. Realistically, a sentient being who had been cut off from all outside contact for a thousand years wouldn't be angry and vengeful, they'd probably be a raving lunatic (pardon the pun) or a vegetable. It's entirely possible that she was in a state of suspended animation the whole time.

5) That Luna and Nightmare Moon are the same being. I would fully buy that Nightmare Moon was akin to a demonic force that possessed Luna, invited in by her anger and bitterness. (I find evidence for this in Luna's post Element of Harmony Beam behavior).

And if 5)
    5A) That Celestia had a way to separate them aside from a use of the elements of harmony, wielded by 6 ponies instead of one using them seemingly less perfectly.

6) That Luna is capable of moving the sun as well as Celestia can move the moon.

Now, these assumptions aren't necessarily wrong, but they also aren't necessarily right. There's room for interpretation, so I'll stick to my Velvet Hoof theory.

Also, it seems to me that letting Luna have her way for 10 years, even if it wasn't the end of all life (and I think it would be, since that'd be the complete end of all photosynthesis), would still bring about enormous suffering for the entire planet during that time. So that isn't viable.

Edit: As for the second happiness picture, you're always complaining about how the aristocracy must clearly be parasitic on the lower classes. Why should everpony's taxes go to artificial hips for ponies that Celestia happens to know personally?
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-05-14 at 08:10 PM.

27. - Top - End - #837
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmm theory: In the current series the elements of harmony have pony hosts, so maybe there were also hosts during the fight against luna. The elements can just turn nightmare moon back into luna(at least they did that in episode 2). Given Celestias character it's unlikely that she would choose banishment over the devilify spell. Thus the old elements probably acted on their own. They were probably luna haters who used the chance to get rid of her. Over the span of 1000 years everypony just forgot about the old elements and assumed Celestia did it herself.

But yeah taking turns would have been an sensible option after all Celestia did take care of the moon during lunas banishment, so it should be possible for them to switch jobs.
    Last edited by Kageru; 2011-05-14 at 08:17 PM.

28. - Top - End - #838
    Troll in the Playground

Also, I now propose that all "Celestia really is a nice lady" theories be called Velvet Hoof.

29. - Top - End - #839
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    1) Celestia was aware of Luna's bitterness. Celestia is a nice pony, but if she has a flaw, it's that she tends to only notice problems when someone specifically tells her about them. Especially if she's busy.
    Gee, I'd say her refusing to put down the moon was a slight indication of that.

2) Celestia was really in control of the situation when she banished Luna. If a police officer is attacked by an armed assailant, is not the policeman justified in using lethal force to defend him or herself, if there isn't a viable alternative? If the only way Celestia would survive the attack would be to trap her on the moon, can we fault her for doing so?
    Given how much stronger she seems to be, I doubt it was the only way, and besides, since when arguments in the family look anything like policeman/criminal confrontation?

3) The spell could be modulated to take a different amount of time. Magic spells don't necessarily work in a logical way, i.e. why shouldn't the pumpkin continue to be a stage coach after midnight, why would the prick of a needle make Sleeping Beauty go into a coma, why would the kiss of true love bring Snow White back to life, etc. It could have been a set spell that she either used or didn't use.
    Then whoever researched it did a crappy job. Don't cast it, then, would you give your sister poisoned water if she wanted to drink and you had nothing else?

4) That Luna was self aware while on the moon. Realistically, a sentient being who had been cut off from all outside contact for a thousand years wouldn't be angry and vengeful, they'd probably be a raving lunatic (pardon the pun) or a vegetable. It's entirely possible that she was in a state of suspended animation the whole time.
    If she was, it would have been differently worded. She wouldn't have bragged:

Does my crown no longer count, now that I have been imprisoned for a thousand years?

She would say a day.

6) That Luna is capable of moving the sun as well as Celestia can move the moon.
    Then help her. You're older sister, after all.

Also, it seems to me that letting Luna have her way for 10 years, even if it wasn't the end of all life (and I think it would be, since that'd be the complete end of all photosynthesis), would still bring about enormous suffering for the entire planet during that time. So that isn't viable.
    I rather doubt if everyone with half a brain took even a month to see they a bit overreacted.

Edit: As for the second happiness picture, you're always complaining about how the aristocracy must clearly be parasitic on the lower classes. Why should everpony's taxes go to artificial hips for ponies that Celestia happens to know personally?
    Because that's how sane medical system works? Everypony pays, small percentage in need receives treatment? Especially seeing Grandma paid taxes all her life?

I have no idea how you can see criminal system where everypony pays yet all monies are taken by small band of clepto-aristocrats and Celestia, with everypone else left to rot, as anywhere near comparable
    Above Us Only Sky

30. - Top - End - #840
    Troll in the Playground

Gee, I'd say her refusing to put down the moon was a slight indication of that.

Given how much stronger she seems to be, I doubt it was the only way, and besides, since when arguments in the family look anything like policeman/criminal confrontation?

Then whoever researched it did a crappy job. Don't cast it, then, would you give your sister poisoned water if she wanted to drink and you had nothing else?

If she was, it would have been differently worded. She wouldn't have bragged:

Does my crown no longer count, now that I have been imprisoned for a thousand years?

She would say a day.

Then help her. You're older sister, after all.

I rather doubt if everyone with half a brain took even a month to see they a bit overreacted.

Because that's how sane medical system works? Everypony pays, small percentage in need receives treatment? Especially seeing Grandma paid taxes all her life?

I have no idea how you can see criminal system where everypony pays yet all monies are taken by small band of clepto-aristocrats and Celestia, with everypone else left to rot, as anywhere near comparable
    That last bit was a bit facetious, I'll admit.

The self defense case still applies. If my sister comes at me with a lethal weapon, I'll be more CONFLICTED with how I defend myself, but I will still be justified in doing so.

Also, if Luna's bitter that everyone loves her sister more, would she even accept the offer "oh yeah, I'll help you with the sun. I'll totally do a lot of the work, since you can't." That'd be a total slap in the face to someone with wounded pride and a feeling of inadequacy.

Though, with the "my crown" line, if Nightmare knew she was being imprisoned for 1000 years, then the line makes sense. If there was a pre-fab "1000 years in the moon" spell, then Nightmare may well have been aware of it.

In the end, though, this is another case where I'll agree to just disagree. The assumptions I listed are just as much up to interpretation as anything else, in the absence of actual information about the events. I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong. All I'm saying is, the opposing side has a case too.

too long, didn't read version: Velvet Hoof is a valid theory too.

Edit: Well, I've personally said all I have to say about this controversy. Let's start another.

WHY DOES ZECORA HAVE STRIPES? Many Bothans died to bring us this information.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-05-14 at 08:41 PM.