New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default What would you do with these stats?

So we're starting a new campaign, and the DM is having us roll the stats in order (1st 4d6, drop the lowest into Strength; 2nd into Dexterity; etc.)

So rolling my character I ended up with a pile of stats that looks promisingly fun, but I'm not certain where I should go with it.

STR: 12
    DEX: 11
    CON: 14
    INT: 14
    WIS: 16
    CHA: 4

I was initially wanting to play an arcane caster, but seeing as Wisdom is my best stat, I'm pretty accepting of my fate as a divine caster.

So, I'm interested to know what character races/classes youse would choose with these kinds of stats. I'm considering a cloistered cleric/monk mainly, though the thought of a druid has come to mind. Any suggestions?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: What would you do with these stats?

4 Charisma is a pretty severe detriment to a Cleric, so I would go with Druid. Your strong-ish Con would also make you quite powerful in Wild Shape.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I second the druid. Your character would also have a great excuse for not speaking much.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    GitP: The only place where D&D and Cantorian Set Theory combine. Also a place of madness, and small fairy cakes.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

That set is actually a little below average (exclusively because of the four).

Anyway. Druid is an obvious choice. Maybe incorporate the terrible Cha into roleplay and insist that your druid refuses to speak to anyone who isn't a druid or an animal? If you spend all day, every day as a bear, social skills won't matter much*. I dunno, I'm sure you can figure something out. Not many things do Charisma damage, so you should be fine.

*although some would suggest mauling IS a social skill...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

ask for a reroll

6. - Top - End - #6

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    OP
    If you really do want an arcane caster, 14 is enough to get quite safely to level 9s in time to cast them: depending on the power level of the campaign, that might be enough. Alternately, there should be little issue with a warlock.

The optimal choice here would be druid: you have little mechanical benefit from charisma and you can use Wildshape to boost physical stats.

Cleric is still a strong choice: you don't actually need DMM on a cleric in any but the most optimized of games. If you do need it, there are probably stacking nightsticks available.

If you want it anyways, I would suggest Cleric to Prestige Paladin 2, pick up Serenity. You loose a caster level, but you gain Divine Grace keyed to your primary casting stat (and if your DM does give you access to the paladin spell list as suggested by the Prestige Paladin rules, you also might be able to get battle blessing). This is probably what I would do in most (mid to high op) games.
    Last edited by Hecuba; 2011-06-21 at 08:12 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by crazyhedgewizrd View Post
    ask for a reroll
    Those stats aren't anywhere near bad enough to justify that. Average rolls would net +6 or so total modifiers; this has +5. Part of the risk of rolling is sometimes coming out under average.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Druid will be interesting. Or monk: a book-learned socially challenged monk.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hecuba View Post
    If you really do want an arcane caster, 14 is enough to get quite safely to level 9s in time to cast them: depending on the power level of the campaign, that might be enough. Alternately, there should be little issue with a warlock.
    Warlock's DC are charisma based, as long as you don't want to use any power that give a save, I wouldn't play a warlock. Also their ability to UMDs is a huge class feature, -3 won't kill it, but its sure as hell wont help. I have to agree with the group, Druid is your best bet. 14 Int isn't great you could still cast with it. You just may have to bump it up as you go.
    Last edited by GeekGirl; 2011-06-21 at 08:26 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CTrees View Post
    Maybe incorporate the terrible Cha into roleplay
    Seconded. Those little defects can sometimes make for the most memorable characters.

As stated, the 14 Int isn't all that crippling for an arcane caster for the moment. The 11 Dex might be a bit iffy if you can't use heavy armours though.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Normally I'd suggest Druid too, but to mix things up I'm going to suggest a Paladin with the Serenity feat (Dragon Compendium) to remove your charisma dependencies.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

Druid warshaper who never comes out of wildshape... Ever. Don't talk, bite anyone who touches you.

Ether that or be a very shy pixie Assasin with the skill trick that lets you attack without a foe noticeing. Don't even let the party know you are following them around, just death attack every 3 rounds and disarm traps. The party can just be left wondering why foes keep falling down for no reason and all the traps are already disarmed.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Heck, play a Buomman(sp?). Wis bonus, and an excuse to never speak ever. If you change your mind about the speaking, get dragonborn'd and gain a bonus to constitution as well, which matters in Wildshape, as opposed to the Dex penalty, which doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Hulking Hurler can get something like (10^83)d6 damage, which is many orders of magnitude greater than the number of particles in the universe.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Current characters: None, looking for a game.

Homebrew!

Wow, it's been a while. Sorry for the unexplained absence!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

well... druid is obvious, but a ranger or skillmonkey rogue or scout wouldnt hurt either (actualy it would, but you know what i mean). A scout only needs to convey information, not attend parties. For the rogue you would go into assassin or burglar or something, because the social skills won't work. Ranger will use the attributes the best. You use the variant class that uses no animal companion, and just go for the "I'm a redneck hunter" roleplay, you are angry, mean and a killing machine :) (also, with your dex and str i would go twf, and get some awesomeness). and did I mention Ranger gets spells too?
    Last edited by Socratov; 2011-06-21 at 08:36 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Just for gits and shiggles, play a dwarf.

Had a buddy play a druid once who had a terrbile charisma. He was an alcoholic druid who stayed shapeshifted as a polar bear at all times. His animal companion was a dire parrot who would do all the talking for him. He'd even have the bartenders put his drink in a wooden bowl so he could drink easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    You know, not even wizards can beat wizards. If you cross-cloned Batman and Chuck Norris with the dark and terrible feeling in our hearts that there is indeed a god mocking our lesser existence, you would get a human wizard. With stringent WBL rules.
    "In times like this I ask myself - What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

What about Zen Archery cleric? The low Charisma is a burden, but you will be relying on your spells mostly anyway.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

17. - Top - End - #17

RogueGuy

Actualy playing a race with a cha penelty may not be a bad idea, as I remember reading somewhere that the racial penelties can't take you lower than 4. Maybe a dragonborn mongrelfoke or a dragonborn water ork. Both would net you 6 cha after racial modifiers. Then go dragonfire adept.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fouredged Sword View Post
    Actualy playing a race with a cha penelty may not be a bad idea, as I remember reading somewhere that the racial penelties can't take you lower than 4. Maybe a dragonborn mongrelfoke or a dragonborn water ork. Both would net you 6 cha after racial modifiers. Then go dragonfire adept.
    Intelligence 3 is the limit for PCs; the limit for everything else is 1.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

That only works for INT, I reccomend an Artic Dwarf, +4 con, +2 STR and -4 Dex and the ever present -2 cha makes an interesting TWF ranger, you can just stand there and hack into the opponent with Waraxes.
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

20. - Top - End - #20

I'd probably take Intuitive Attack and play either a Psychic Warrior or an Unarmed Swordsage.

A Zen Archer (probably Soulbow) is also a good option.

No question that Druid is stronger, though.
    Last edited by Draz74; 2011-06-21 at 12:07 PM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Obvious choice is a druid however. Wildshape means only one stat really matters.

Warlock can also work as they're only got a limited amount of decent "save or stuff happens" effects. However druid is still likely the best bet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garwain View Post
    Ironically, you wouldn't be able to survive on 'create water', as this spell creates pure water, without the necessary electrolytes.
    The beste strategy would be to mix your purified urine, and mix it with created water with prestidigitation to make it taste like lemonade.

[GENERATION 17: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. This is a social experiment.]

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Druid. No question.
    No comment.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

You'd want to pump Int through items and level increases (and maybe race), but those stats could make a decent Archivist, since his bonus spells/day run off Wis.

24. - Top - End - #24

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by GeekGirl View Post
    Warlock's DC are charisma based, as long as you don't want to use any power that give a save, I wouldn't play a warlock. Also their ability to UMDs is a huge class feature, -3 won't kill it, but its sure as hell wont help. I have to agree with the group, Druid is your best bet. 14 Int isn't great you could still cast with it. You just may have to bump it up as you go.
    Someday, I want to play a warlock with 1/1/1/3/1/1 stats, just to see if it actually works.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Someday, I want to play a warlock with 1/1/1/3/1/1 stats, just to see if it actually works.
    I see that as less of a person, and more of a feral and pathetic creature that uses its eldritch powers to hunt and survive. Just crawling through the forest, barely aware, and blasting creatures with a relatively low touch ac.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

DFA would probably do it better since they don't need to hit to deal damage.
    BEEP.

27. - Top - End - #27

RogueGuy

Well after a point you are a floating aberation useing area effect invocations to hit stuff, so dex and strength don't matter so much, and you can't trip and fall.

Your biggest drawback would be that total lack of HP. I think you would be looking at 20-40 hp at max level.

The natural predetor of such an character would be wasps. With that low con score a wasp sting poision would likely do enough stat damage to drop you.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

I would re-roll them.

I can't suffer a 4 in a stat... just can't do it.

29. - Top - End - #29

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

The natural predetor of such an character would be wasps. With that low con score a wasp sting poision would likely do enough stat damage to drop you.
    14 is low now?