New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Re: [3.5e NPC PrC] The Bartender (PEACH)

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Bartender is proficient with all simple weapons, one martial weapon of their choice, and bar implements such as mugs, bottles, and chairs.
    Bar implements are Improvised Weapons. You should give them Improvised Weapon proficiency with bar implements (mugs, chairs and bottles, etc.).

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2011-05-11 at 10:42 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Added in that their proficiency with the bar implements counts as Improvised Weapon Proficiency. Also, you seem to be double-posting a bit...

Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Ummmm.... I am pretty sure there is no such thing as, "improvised weapon proficiency," ... that's sort of why they are Improvised weapons... there is even an entire Pr.C. called the weapons expert ... the core ability of it is that the character can use any item as a weapon without the -4 improvised weapon penalty... if any character could just gain that with a feat they wouldn't have had to make it a special feature and base a PrC. around it.!

Also, maybe exchange Reflex for Will in the good bad save department? Why give them a poor Will save only to later give them a plus four against just about everything thing for which you would have to make a Will save against?
    Opinions:
    Spoiler
    Show

Role playing is more important than roll playing.

Gnomes are supreme, Flumphs are second only to Gnomes. This is the way the universe works.

Facts:
    Spoiler
    Show
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Mine started at Doom Day Gras(Mardi Gras but with more Doom)

Quote Originally Posted by Demented View Post
    "Apprentice?"
    "Yes?"
    "Get this floor mat off my head before I discorporate you."
    "Yes sir."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Don't see too much wrong with this at all personally. The bartender is being given a PC style boost with this for the simple reason of survival. The horrors visited upon my poor earlier bartenders and tavern keepers were astounding and brutal so I see the appeal of this.

Also, perform as a class skill would make at least a little sense. I ran a bar for 3 years and it's basically a long thin stage with a 3 1/2 ft high barrier between you and the audience. If the customers are entertained, they stay longer and pay for more drinks. Makes sense!

Quote Originally Posted by Thugorp View Post
    I am pretty sure there is no such thing as, "improvised weapon proficiency,"
    Well....there is now!
    Why not after all? Is this character going to be built specifically to deal major damage with every item, or assassinate group members? No, probably not. He's being built to survive the group, let him have his day!
    All I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by.

My homebrews Moloques! Sagacious Defender of the Forge, The Open Palm, Sacred Scourge, The Bastion
    Co-Developer of the Mutant Powers Project:
    World Warper
    Telekineticist and ACFs, Feats, Shadow Hand PrC

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

All the Improvised Weapon Proficiency does is remove the -4 penalty to attack with improvised weapons. It makes sense to create this even if it isn't in the rules. However, I'm fairly sure I've seen it in other places so this isn't a new idea.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thugorp View Post
    Ummmm.... I am pretty sure there is no such thing as, "improvised weapon proficiency," ... that's sort of why they are Improvised weapons... there is even an entire Pr.C. called the weapons expert ... the core ability of it is that the character can use any item as a weapon without the -4 improvised weapon penalty... if any character could just gain that with a feat they wouldn't have had to make it a special feature and base a PrC. around it.!

Also, maybe exchange Reflex for Will in the good bad save department? Why give them a poor Will save only to later give them a plus four against just about everything thing for which you would have to make a Will save against?
    You know, that's what I was thinking as well. Though I would allow my players to take "Improvised Weapon Proficiency" as if it were Martial Weapon Proficiency. As in, pick one. Not the best investment of a feat, but hey. If you want to spend the time learning how to effectively use a chair... Anyways, it doesn't really make a difference what you call it. They can use Bar Implements without the -4.

Well, they kind of need a Good Reflex for their Evasion. Without it, it seems like kinda a moot ability. And then giving them all good saves seemed a bit.. overpowered for a supposedly "NPC" class. So a specific bonus to Compulsions seemed like it would be a better compromise.
    Last edited by Welknair; 2011-05-14 at 10:11 AM.

Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

That's fair :-),

Also, ya taking proficiency with one, or one class of item(as in proficiency with cups, or proficiency with chairs, or proficiency with books), is something I think you can gain for a feat! :-D So ya that's totally legit. :-)
    Last edited by Thugorp; 2011-05-14 at 11:08 PM.
    Opinions:
    Spoiler
    Show

Role playing is more important than roll playing.

Gnomes are supreme, Flumphs are second only to Gnomes. This is the way the universe works.

Facts:
    Spoiler
    Show
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Mine started at Doom Day Gras(Mardi Gras but with more Doom)

Quote Originally Posted by Demented View Post
    "Apprentice?"
    "Yes?"
    "Get this floor mat off my head before I discorporate you."
    "Yes sir."