New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Rise of the Green Sun Princes! (Another Exalted Log)

Unfortunate bit of bad news: Natsu wasn't there after all. Worse yet (though not unexpected), someone ate my 120-count box of pizza rolls. They left the box, the jerks!

But let's put on a happy face; we've got a game to cover!

Gene/"Emir"

As you lot recall, Gene'd just finished meeting with the forces of the Bull of the North, only to swear an oath to not divulge any of the pertinent information concerning the potent wonders Yurgen Kaneko has to bear... only to then secretly meet with the other members of his coven, and use his marvelous cheating powers to suspend the oath, and tell them everything.

Now, however, Gene dons his Emir identity again, and travels to the Saltspire League, to meet with another associate of the Bull of the North, Raneth of Diamond Hearth. The Saltspire League, you see, is a region based around the River of Tears, a river that flows from the sea (and thus, naturally, is very salty). A series of island manses magically draw the salt forth from the river, which the merchants of the League then trade to other powers.

For those of you who aren't in the know, salt is even more valuable in the world of Exalted than it is in real life, because it also has the power to ward off undead.

Anyway, when Gene meets him, Raneth of Diamond Hearth seems to be very stressed. When he reveals himself as a fellow "Lawgiver" (wink, wink ) and explains himself to have allied with the Bull, Raneth woefully explains his situation: namely, that while he's brought the governments of all the cities in the Saltspire League to heel, an uprising nonetheless feels inevitable. He's had to deal with repeated attempts to conspire against him by the seditious nobility, who (among other things) sent assassins after him. Also, while he'd like to restore the desalination manses in the region (out of the five, four of them have gone increasingly haywire), doing so might destabilize the economy and politics for the entire region.

Gene offers to help him as best as he can, in exchange for some information about the whereabouts of members of Abbadon's tribe; following that, he begins working his mojo. Over a series of two months or so, he goes about instituting order within the Saltspire League, forming the pillar of a more stable mercantile organization. During that time, he also hires out Abbadon's tribesmen, giving them minor positions within the organization.

Following that, he intends to pay a visit to Karn again, to speak with his friend Nalla Bloodaxe.

Noric

Noric lately has decided to investigate the stranger memories in his head; it seems, you see, that his Exaltation carried scraps of memory from the First Age, and its knowledge occasionally contributes to his own. As for identity, though, the only thing he can call from the depths is the sobriquet, "Radiant Judge." He does a bit of research on this name in the library of Orabilis, but even the great glass information center has little to say on the Radiant Judge: just that he was an investigator-type Twilight Caste.

He resolves to see if he can find more on Radiant Judge, maybe even try and find his tomb sometime.

Yuki

Yuki is still recovering in her townhouse, when her demonic manservants inform her that there's someone at the door for her. When Yuki opens the door, she sees a baby at her doorstep. Stranger still, the baby's eyes resemble green-and-red swirls, with flecks of white, and stranger still, she speaks Old Realm!

This child, apparently, is a gift from Adorjan, to represent her blessing in Yuki's efforts; lacking any better ideas, she takes the infant inside, and begins caring for it.

She learns that the child is effectively immortal, already able to read, write, and speak (albeit with an odd, echoing quality), and will age normally until she hits maturity. Oh, and apparently she also doesn't sleep.

Abbadon

Abbadon spends the next few days in seclusion, practicing a Combo he's worked out. He calls it, "Wrath of the Demon City," and constitutes him stepping into the path of an incoming attack, and magically redirecting the force of the blow to reverberate through the attacker, potentially dealing massive damage.

But how's he gonna test it out? Well, as a Slayer, he does have the authority to participate in any battle in the Demon City, under the pretense of "combat training."

Sure enough, it's not long before he finds such a warzone: two huge armies of demons are engaged in seige warfare. Abbadon smirks and drops onto the fortress, occupied by the smaller army, and begins tearing into them. His special new technique does prove to be quite effective, and when the battle is finished, Abbadon is approached by a massive demon with rock-like skin, sweating an earth-scorching black oil from his pores.

The demon, impressed with Abbadon's combat prowess, introduces himself as "Octavian, the Quarter Prince." A handshake on his part leaves even Abbadon wincing. Octavian thanks him for his participation, and invites Abbadon to join him for tea.

Ormagöden

Ormagöden, it seems, is unsatisfied with the concert he put on. After all, no heart was swayed by his performance (the fans She Who Lives in Her Name created already loved him), and no reputation could be garnered from it (the fans She Who Lives in Her Name created aren't allowed to leave the Conventicle Malfeasant). It's not long, though, before he hears about the Screaming Cathedral. Curious, and determined to perform there, he decides to pay it a visit.

What he sees inside, however, shocks him. The space of the vast cathedral is dominated by a massive, horrifying mammoth of clockwork. This thing could possibly be called a "musical instrument," but it is by far the most macabre one he's seen. It seems as though this machine is made just as much to torture as it is to produce music; saws, bludgeons, needles, and worse are still in fact slick from recent use.

Strangely, Ormagöden also feels a sense of déjŕ vu.

This, a wizened old demon within the cathedral explains, is the Organ of Agonies. This demon is seated at a fine desk, and growing from his chin is a long, flowing beard of parchment, upon which is recorded what appears to be some form of sheet music, as well as countless notes scribbled into the margins. Ormagöden asks this demon if he might perform at the Screaming Cathedral; the demon explains that Ormagöden will have to provide his own sacrifices for the Organ of Agonies. Ormagöden, feeling ambitious, decides that he will feed one hundred mortal captives into the Organ.

With his performance to occur in three days, the first thing he does is go to Noric for help. He inquires to Noric if he is capable of shaping one hundred mortals for him; Noric replies that while it's possible for him to do it, it isn't too likely for him to will a hundred people into existence in three days. On the other hand, Noric does have quite a bit of money, and it would only be a minor financial setback for him to buy that many slaves. Ormagöden makes him a deal - in exchange for the funds he'll need, Ormagöden will pay Noric back by giving him the demonic fans She Who Lives in Her Name granted him.

Following that, Noric proceeds to telekinetically hoist the demon-fans into the air and forcibly-tranmute them into jewelry. Wow, um, yeah...

While he's there, Ormagöden researches the Organ of Agonies in the library of Orabilis. It seems that the Organ was crafted by Ligier himself; that, in and of itself, isn't so surprising... what is surprising is that he did it to mirror a work of artifice crafted by a Solar musician in the First Age. Ormagöden feels the déjŕ vu again.

Anyway, time for his concert! Ormagöden's maddened tempo sets the thousands of demons outside screaming with excitement, green fire flying from his fingers and racing through the workings of the instrument itself to illuminate the scenes of violence set in the stained glass windows, seemingly giving them life as his song blends with the tortured wails of the dying captives.

Oh, and then he goes crowd-surfing.

With that done, he goes to Octavian, intent on the War Devil's Skull. The demon's domain takes up a whole quarter of a layer of the Demon City, at the center of which rises a tower, a twisted spiral of black iron and brass. When he reaches the top of the tower, he sees the demon having tea with Abbadon. The two are discussing war strategies when he inquires to Octavian about the skull, making sure to mention that the decree of Malfeas himself was that it be given to him.

Octavian, it seems, is more than happy to comply with the orders of the Demon City; however, if Ormagöden doesn't mind, Octavian would like it if he could be provided something in return for it, namely that if Ormagöden were to come across any artifacts that would assist in warfare, that Octavian could borrow said artifacts.

"Well, it certainly sounds reasonable," Ormagöden replies. They make the deal, shaking hands, and then Ormagöden joins him and Abbadon for tea.

That was about where we called it a night, folks. Next week gets even more interesting.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2011-06-05 at 03:58 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

*sniff sniff* I smell EPIC!...This is good.

"I laugh at life, it's antics make for me a giddy game. Where only foolish fellows take themselves with solemn aim.”

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

I have a question, are all of your players going to start remembering things from the first age?
    Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    Burnheart, thanks to you, everyday reality is just a little less desirable. Until this happens, I am just this much more insane.

4. - Top - End - #64

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tialait View Post
    *sniff sniff* I smell EPIC!...This is good.
    I always appreciate a compliment from the lovely Tialait.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnheart View Post
    I have a question, are all of your players going to start remembering things from the first age?
    Hmm, doubt it.

No more so than the littlest flashbacks every now and then, of course. Noric actually has the "Savant" background, meaning that in terms of academic pursuits from the First Age, he has scraps of memories kicking around in his head from a previous incarnation. With Ormagöden, it's just the Organ of Agonies that's giving him this familiar feeling.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Uh huh, you know i don't actually know why any of them would get flashbacks from what you've said i'd guess something to do with Reincarnation?
    Burnheart, thanks to you, everyday reality is just a little less desirable. Until this happens, I am just this much more insane.

6. - Top - End - #66

Uh huh, you know i don't actually know why any of them would get flashbacks from what you've said i'd guess something to do with Reincarnation?
    Kinda-sorta. See, in the world of Exalted, human souls that die are reincarnated. "Lethe" washes away the souls' memories, so that when a person is reborn, he usually lives his life with no recollection of the past.

Exaltations, however, aren't quite souls, but they bond to the host's soul, and thus have the capacity to become cluttered with the host's memories after a long, heroic life. That's why Lytek, the god of Exaltation, has special tools to scrub the memories off of the eternal celestial shards after an Exalt dies.

Unfortunately, the Green Sun Princes' Exaltations were stolen by agents of the Yozis before Lytek could get his hands on them, so they have the potential to still have centuries' worth of memories stored on them.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2011-06-05 at 07:00 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Unfortunately, the Green Sun Princes' Exaltations were stolen by agents of the Yozis before Lytek could get his hands on them, so they have the potential to still have centuries' worth of memories stored on them.
    Centuries worth of memories from a hubris-crazed insane divinely-appointed tyrant, at that. (Some of the First Age Solars were terrifying by the end.)

Which is PERFECT for the Infernals.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Exaltations, however, aren't quite souls,
    I would say that the Exaltation is in a sense a third soul(yes normal humans have two already) that joins with the other two during the Second Breath. However this is just an opinion that I hold and not canonical fact.

9. - Top - End - #69

Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Centuries worth of memories from a hubris-crazed insane divinely-appointed tyrant, at that.
    Some of 'em, anyway. Like I said, potential. Can't say all of them lived to be a thousand or more years old.

Some of the First Age Solars were terrifying by the end.
    Y'know, I don't see it; Desus is a pretty swell guy. Argh, Desus!

Which is PERFECT for the Infernals.
    We'll see, won't we?

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine View Post
    I would say that the Exaltation is in a sense a third soul... that joins with the other two during the Second Breath. However this is just an opinion that I hold and not canonical fact.
    However you want to look at it, man.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2011-06-05 at 10:38 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Humans have 2 souls in exalted huh, any reason for that or is it just because the designers thought it would be cool?

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Humans have 2 souls in exalted huh, any reason for that or is it just because the designers thought it would be cool?
    The two souls are distinct. The Hun is the seat of the mind and reason and is the Soul that sometimes lingers on as what is called a Ghost. The Po is the seat of passion and emotion. After violent deaths it occasionally lingers as a non-sapient Hungry Ghost that seeks revenge on it's murderer. For the first three days a Hungry Ghost is a composite of both Hun and Po Souls and is as intelligent as in life however after the third day the Hun separates and it becomes no more intelligent then a beast.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

It's so that when humans die they can leave behind two ghosts to screw with people.

Also note that Hungry Ghosts can learn and ebcome more intelligent. Usually it requires the Hun soul to stick around for a while using necromancy, but technically they can use XP just like anybody else.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2011-06-06 at 06:33 AM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

13. - Top - End - #73
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

eek Re: Rise of the Green Sun Princes! (Another Exalted Log)

Tea, ultraviolence and rock'n'roll. This is getting more epic by the second.
    How are the characters moving around in hell? Demon wasps? Crowd surfing? Wormholes?

Gene: not really sure what he's planning now - why is an infernal helping stablize creation's trading routes?

Abaddon: Slayers are awesome - that combo sounds great. Makes me think of the recent X-men movie. Any other cool combos in the group?

Yuki: Awww, it's a cute little talking immortal red-and-green eyed baby. Unsettling. What's the child's name?

Noric: Wow. Infernals can get a lot of resources when they need them.
    It's easy like that when you're an integral part of the masterplan of the lords of hell.

Ormagoden: This part here? This is the part that makes me want to find an Exalted group right this minute.

Can't wait for the next update.
    Now I'm thinking with ponies!

3DS friend code:
    2449-5207-9736

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by SKarious View Post
    Ormagoden: This part here? This is the part that makes me want to find an Exalted group right this minute.
    Tell me about it, if i could afford the books i'd have bought them by now .

15. - Top - End - #75

Again, you'll find that as with many of the various little details in this game, they chose to have souls correspond to an Eastern theme or idea.
    Tea, ultraviolence and rock'n'roll. This is getting more epic by the second.
    Or so one would think...
    How are the characters moving around in hell? Demon wasps? Crowd surfing? Wormholes?
    Mostly the agatae now. Before, they used to just hoof it.
    Gene: not really sure what he's planning now - why is an infernal helping stablize creation's trading routes?
    My guess? He intends to corrupt it and put it to work for the Yozis.
    Abaddon: Slayers are awesome - that combo sounds great. Makes me think of the recent X-men movie.
    Haven't seen it, sorry. No spoilers, please.
    Any other cool combos in the group?
    They've mostly just been filling out their Charmsets a bit so far.
    Yuki: Awww, it's a cute little talking immortal red-and-green eyed baby.
    Cute little talking immortal red-and-green-eyed assassin baby, thank you very much.
    Unsettling. What's the child's name?
    You'll find out soon enough.
    Noric: Wow. Infernals can get a lot of resources when they need them. It's easy like that when you're an integral part of the masterplan of the lords of hell.
    Eh, he already had a decent amount of assets when he took his Second Breath (being a highly-educated occultist artificer and whatnot); the demons have since gifted him with resources aplenty to allow for him to continue with his work.
    Do it. Do it right now. Right this second.
    Can't wait for the next update.
    Neither can I; let's just say Gene ends up doing something even more interesting.
    Tell me about it, if i could afford the books i'd have bought them by now .
    Sorry to hear that, friend.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Neither can I; let's just say Gene ends up doing something even more interesting.
    Damnit count stop teasing us you know it just makes waiting for the next update harder

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    It's so that when humans die they can leave behind two ghosts to screw with people.

Also note that Hungry Ghosts can learn and ebcome more intelligent. Usually it requires the Hun soul to stick around for a while using necromancy, but technically they can use XP just like anybody else.
    Having a high Intelligence score doesn't necessarily make you Sapient. Otherwise those Owl things are and I don't think that was the intent. Of course animal stats are all kinds of screwy.

18. - Top - End - #78

So, I bet you guys are ready for an update!

Natsu

Where did Natsu go while the group was in the Demon City earlier? He went to the Ten Shadows Academy, that strange martial arts school that can only ever be found under the shadow of the Ebon Dragon.

The Ten Shadows Academy, you see, is actually ten different pitch-dark dojos, composed of jet, black ash wood, and other dark materials, collectively forming a circle around a massive and wantonly-extravagant statue of the Ebon Dragon himself.

Around this opulent shrine is a gathering of what Natsu can see to be skilled martial artists, all apparently under the instruction of a murky figure with four mouths and a plethora of eyes that cover his shadowy body. Natsu approaches and requests instruction; the demon explains that only the elite may learn under him, and that first Natsu must learn the lessons that please the Ebon Dragon: assassination, obfuscation, misdirection, interrogation, seduction, betrayal, deception, secrecy, persistence, and the poisoning of the spirit. Judging Natsu to be intemperate, the demon points him in the direction of the Dojo of Persistence.

Lesson 1: Persistence

When Natsu enters the first dojo, a pale figure whose back is covered in black spines invites him to join in learning persistence. The demon hands him a black, two-foot-long needle-brush straight from its back, and instructs him to begin with calligraphy, to draw the Old Realm symbol for "persistence." Natsu takes up the brush and begins etching the glyph in the sandy floor; however, before he can finish, the ground shakes slightly as though from a tremor, messing up his work (and those of the other demons around him). He tries again, and again, and again, and as he does, he notices that the brush is growing, now over four feet in length! He redoubles his efforts, dancing around his patch of sand as he scribes the symbol, even though his work is continually-destroyed by the tiny quakes.

After three days of this (all with no food, water, or sleep), the needle-maker congratulates him on his persistence, and finally teaches him a special technique to help him persist in battle.

With that accomplished, he leaves the dojo and rejoins the coven right before they leave for Creation.

Oh, Yuki's decided to name the baby "Aura" (though I probably have it spelled wrong), and she's requisitioned the permanent services of a stomach bottle bug to serve as her familiar.

Dodging the Border Patrol...

By the way, the group learned of a stable portal between Creation and Malfeas on the sea around the Blessed Isle, which is naturally open on Calibration, but can be opened by any Essence-user. Of course, they quickly discovered that it was guarded by a naval fleet intent on preventing anything from coming through either way. The group evaded them pretty easily last time, but it seems that this time, the fleet manages to gets a few shots off with some Essence-based weapons.

Nonetheless, the coven survives intact, and flies off on their agatae to the Saltspire League.

Plenilune

One thing the group notices about Plenilune: it does not have "town guard." It has mercenaries. The Saltspire League, you see, is run by the rich, and even more so within Plenilune, the capital city whose desalination manse is still running strong. They are easily differentiated, of course, by dint of wearing the colors of their employer.

While searching for Gene, Abbadon discovers one of his fellow tribesmen employed as a mercenary, emblazoned with the symbol of a lamp. The ex-barbarian only barely recognizes the warped Abbadon, and when he does, gladly explains to him how a potent merchant-prince named Emir has been hiring members of their tribe; he suggests that Abbadon perhaps speak with Emir.

It takes about a day for Gene, err, Emir to have the spare time to meet with the coven. Gene's been busy, you see, and it's taken quite some time for the locals to be convinced to let him share power with them. Still, when he meets with the group, he hints to them as to his true identity, and invites them to stay within his new and lofty accomodations; as a new oligarch, he's got a nice little set of lodgings.

Abbadon is curious, however, as to whether Gene has found a certain individual for him... Gene reveals that he has, in fact, found his wife, and that she's living in one of the guest rooms of the townhouse he's invited them to stay in.

Reunited

Abbadon rushes to his wife's abode, knocking softly on the door. His wife opens the door after a few moments, only to be overcome by shock at the recognition of her now-nine-feet-tall husband. He is then embraced by his other half, who weeps as she wraps her arms around his waist.

She is hesitant to speak for several long moments, until finally she asks what wrought the changes to her husband; he replies that it was a long and arduous odyssey that brought him back stronger. She asks him what he will do now, and he replies that he must make the Bull pay; she doesn't think that's the best idea, however - the jist of her argument was that he's attempting to unite the people of the north, and that Abbadon might serve best as a counsel to the Bull.

A familiar, albeit long-unheard voice scrabbles across Abbadon's brain like a cockroach. "She doesn't understand," it reminds him, "she didn't see the battle! She needs to see things your way!"

Abbadon debates with her, more strongly now, until she finally acquiesces. "You are my husband," she says quietly, moving to sit on the bed, "and I will support your decision." Abbadon moves into the room and sits with her.

Baby Talk

Yuki's new baby is already doing its best to serve Yuki loyally; Aura attempts to use her infantile status as an excuse to listen in on the conversations of others. To her disappointment, however, these humans speak languages that, for some reason, aren't Old Realm.

She expresses her concerns to Yuki, who takes her to Gene and asks if he can use his weird wish-granting powers to bestow Aura with the gift of language; Gene asks Aura what services she can provide, to which Aura suggests that perhaps, sometime down the road, if he is in need of an assassination, Gene can call on her. Gene agrees, and grants her Skytongue, the language of the North.

Wetwork

Yuki, still intent on starting up a band of assassins in the name of the Silent Wind, decides to speak with one of the city's most influential people, the Saltspire League's local Guild representative, "Jaya." As it turns out, though, Yuki's about as transparent as a window-pane to Jaya, who easily figures out her intentions. Jaya offers to give her some support, provided Yuki can accomplish one task...

Kill Raneth of Diamond Hearth.

Yuki, being a smart little murderess, goes to Gene to see what the resourceful warlock already knows. Gene explains that he would have to suspend the oath he'd sworn all over again to go blabbing his secrets, and asks that she go to Abbadon to learn what she seeks. She learns that Raneth is a Solar Exalt, and decides to follow him around, et cetera, learn his routines and such before ending his life. She notices that he wears armor made of black jade, and carries a short wand-like device everywhere he goes.

Yuki makes her attempt after a week of observation, chucking her magical space-warping needles at him in the dead of night from another rooftop. However, even when augmented with her special Life-Blighting Emptiness Attack, the needles fail to penetrate his armor and damage him. She leaps, going invisible in mid-flight and smashing through his window, only for him to blast her with his strange magitech wand (in reality, a very small concussive Essence cannon), a sure shot that would've knocked her out save for her supernatural hardiness.

She leaves via the same way she came in, leaving a fearful but intact Raneth.

Enlightenment

Where's Ormagöden been for that week? He decided to fly back to the Linowan and visit his secret cult. He enacts the ritual of the War Devil's Skull with them, sacrificing a human's life-blood to set the skull ablaze, allowing the two cultists he's selected to transcend their mortal boundaries and awaken their latent Essence. Sure, they're not Exalts, but now they could probably learn sorcery and/or initiate into some supernatural martial arts. After that, he returns to the Saltspire League.

Still doesn't realize that Gene could've done this for him, but hey, what's he gonna do, ask?

Planning

The following day after Yuki's attempt on his life, Raneth calls for Emir. He explains what he understands of the assassination attempt: how the attacker was invisible, moved supernaturally fast, and threw poisoned needles that passed through ordinary materials unimpeded. Gene tells Raneth he suspects Jaya of hiring the would-be assassin, and suggests that perhaps he seek aid from the Bull of the North for safety's sake.

Following that, Gene returns to his estate and confronts the rest of the coven. He regrets it, but comes to the conclusion that they'll need to kill Raneth. Natsu feels otherwise, but eventually swallows his heart and lets himself be convinced by the others. They decide the best solution is to "volunteer" Abbadon as a bodyguard from Gene to help protect Raneth, suggest that they go on the road to meet with the Bull, and then have Yuki and Natsu try and kill Raneth, only for Abbadon to turn on him as well...

Not the worst plan, save for the fact that Raneth has a Charm that lets him know when someone is lying to him...

The Regent Acts...

Abbadon spends the day protecting Raneth of Diamond Hearth, who is behaving in a strangely-emotionless fashion. He no longer paces, he no longer furrows his brow; he just sits on the throne and makes decisions. That evening, a strange sound is heard from outside. Raneth bids Abbadon go and see what it is. When he reaches the massive double doors, they are yanked open to reveal ten or more mercenaries, armed with poleaxes.

What Abbadon doesn't see is Raneth standing and drawing his Essence cannon, a blast of concussive energy slamming Abbadon in the back, even as he draws his daiklave to deal with the mercenaries. The mercenaries surround Abbadon and attempt to slay him, at which point Abbadon reveals his true nature by perfectly parrying their attacks, including repeated blasts by Raneth.

Having not realized that Abbadon was an Exalt himself, Raneth retreats into a side room as he fires at the glowing hulk, the number of mercenaries outside rapidly decreasing, before Abbadon finally charges after him, leaving the last four guards to flee in a panic.

As Abbadon turns a corner, he bats away one last blast by Raneth before slicing him with his massive sword... only for the dying Raneth to plunge a knife into Abbadon's side. Abbadon decapitates Raneth and collects his Essence cannon before limping away.

Arrest!

At the exact same time, Gene is approached by more of Raneth's mercenaries while in transit to his quarters.

"By the authority of regent Raneth, you are under arrest for conspiracy!" they announce; Gene allows himself to be cuffed, after which he is taken to be brought before the regent. They arrive to see the locale ashambles, the entrance destroyed and the Solar's remains lying inside.

"Under whose authority do you arrest me now?" Gene quips; he convinces them that there is no point in holding him.

---

We were pretty much done at that point; Abbadon will probably try and head to Malfeas next, while Gene attempts to start fixing the situation. I wish them both good luck with that.

In short, in this session, NO ONE'S plan went "according to plan," and it's all Yuki's fault.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

So Gene is going to be taking control of an enter town now? The possibilities for evil are looking up Is Natsu going to have time for all 10 lessons at the Dojo count? Once again a fine update, your players must be have a blast with this game
    Last edited by Burnheart; 2011-06-13 at 06:14 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80

So Gene is going to be taking control of an enter town now?
    Not just a town - the heart of an economic dominion.

The possibilities for evil are looking up
    Evil?

Is Natsu going to have time for all 10 lessons at the Dojo count?
    We'll see soon enough, won't we?

Once again a fine update, your players must be have a blast with this game
    I get the feeling that this is so, anyway; and to think, if Noric's player showed up more often, he might finally get to leave Malfeas!

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Evil?
    The Yozi, i thought they were the Eldar Evils of Exalted?

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

The Yozi, i thought they were the Eldar Evils of Exalted?
    Nope. They're a bunch of crazy nutjobs but they aren't evil. No-one is objectively evil in Exalted*. The Yozis are the rightful rulers of the world and were betrayed by their servants. Some of them are even not really that nasty. She Who Lives In Her Name for instance, aside from the fact that she loathes free will-and can you really blame her after what the Gods did?,- she is relatively benign. In a void at least, the fact that the hierarchy she sees herself as a part of is that of Hell reduces how benign she is in actuality. If the Unconquered Sun had worked her into his hierarchy after the War however-as she was expecting and willing to accept-she would even be a force for some good.

Well maybe the Ebon Dragon.
    Last edited by Sanguine; 2011-06-13 at 08:25 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83

The Yozi, i thought they were the Elder Evils of Exalted?
    First off, that is debatable, and second, I thought you were referring to the PCs, not the Yozis.

Concerning the first, it's less that the Yozis are evil (again, except for maybe the Ebon Dragon), and more that they are physically incapable of being what they are with an ordinary human mind-set, and can't act outside their respective paradigms.

Concerning the second, while the Yozis (especially the Ebon Dragon) are mostly relying on the uglier parts of human nature to come out on top, Green Sun Princes are not guaranteed to be evil. Hell, I don't even see the current party as evil.

Abbadon's a noble warrior with a grudge against the warlord that destroyed his way of life.

Gene's a merchant who aspired to have a seat in the nobility of Gem, but his hopes were cut out from under him along with his legs.

Natsu was a monk who was betrayed, no, sent off to be killed... for political reasons. Is it so evil of him to want to bring down those who did him ill?

Noric was also wronged, his greatest work stolen from him by a rival, but was told that he could invent things even greater.

Yuki's a socially-awkward woman who wants to give thanks to the being who helped her free herself from her tyrannical husband.

Surprisingly, Ormagöden's not even concerned with revenge; he sees this alien realm that's full of music, and wants to bring its songs to Creation.

Are they full of convictions and ambitions? Yes. Does that make them evil? No.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think you answered the question. After all, history is full of men who wanted to create a perfect society/world. But they were evil due to their actions to reach said world, like genocide and the like.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

and now i want to buy some exalted books again Stupid no money

26. - Top - End - #86

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    I don't think you answered the question.
    My answer to the question is that it's not a good question to ask. Good and evil are very subjective things (despite what D&D wants to claim), and when you start throwing them around in a setting like that of Exalted (a vast place composed of multiple worlds, each of which houses millions and millions of people, each of which with their own customs, morals, traditions, et cetera, and that's before you throw magic kung-fu into the equation), it starts becoming even more of a complex mess than it already is.

After all, history is full of men who wanted to create a perfect society/world. But they were evil due to their actions to reach said world, like genocide and the like.
    Evil by either current or previous social, political, and religious standards. It's not objective, and I suppose it'd probably be breaking forum rules to get into it any deeper than that...

My point being, if you want to apply the "evil" tag to anything in the setting (even the Ebon Dragon), it should probably have some disclaimers attached to it to explain both why and how.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2011-06-14 at 12:35 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure. Yes, you can argue that good and evil are very subjective. By jumping through similar hoops you can argue that words are meaningless, and the like. Furthermore, I'd say exalted has quite a few definitely evil groups and organizations. What makes the setting good is that they aren't mustache-twirling evil, and in fact often have somewhat positive goals, even if their methods are horrendous.

Furthermore, at the very least, by our modern understanding of the word, they are evil. One's starting an assassination cult. The others are going along with it. By modern understandings, this is morally wrong.

Nevermind the rocker who 'just want's to share his music with the world' is torturing and killing unwilling victims. And, not for some grand, earthshaking purpose. No, it was simply to put on a good show.

Now, this is a RPG, not real life. So by having the characters do these actions doesn't mean the players are evil, or anything. But it does mean you're playing in an 'evil' game.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

28. - Top - End - #88

One's starting an assassination cult. The others are going along with it. By modern understandings, this is morally wrong.
    (nods) I can see where you're coming from; still, does this mean the Wyld Hunt is morally-wrong, and the Realm morally-wrong for supporting it?

It, too, is a religious-based organization which supports murdering people in a dishonorable fashion (they just have the advantage of having a religion that paints their victims as monsters).

Nevermind the rocker who 'just wants to share his music with the world' is torturing and killing unwilling victims.
    Considering that they were slaves in Malfeas, that still was likely a mercy kill; at least, that's how he's justifying that in-character.

Said performance also serves the purpose of repelling the Silent Wind.

But it does mean you're playing in an 'evil' game.
    Very well, then; I concede the point - it's a lot easier to paint these guys as evil than good.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2011-06-14 at 03:21 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Bugbear in the Playground

Very well, then; I concede the point - it's a lot easier to paint these guys as evil than good.
    Im not sure why you would bother trying to paint them as either good or evil.

Once you have taged them with either title it becomes very easy to glance at their actions and assume you understand their motivations rather then actually thinking about it.
    Aside from "have fun", i think the key to GMing is putting your players into situations where they need to make a choice that has no perfect outcome available. They will hate you for it, but they will be back at the table session after session.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

furious Re: Rise of the Green Sun Princes! (Another Exalted Log)

An update worth waiting for.
    Loved the Assassination attempt and Raneth's reaction. Nice to see some clever antagonists making life hard for the characters.
    Just thinking of Abaddon taking down 10 armed men while a solar fires at him with an essence cannon makes me grin in delight.
    That whole scene is exactly what I think of when I hear "Infernals".

And Gene is one magnificent bastard: Can't wait to see how he gets out of this one.
    How can he teach languages and grant all those wishes?

Natsu: Can't wait to hear more about the Academy of Shadows. Gonna get me some "training montage" soundtracks.

That reminds me - has the party met any of other Yozis "in person"?
    The meetings with Malfeas, Isidoros and Szoreny were a good read.(especially when Malfeas got angry)

And where's Noric in all this - still studying forbidden texts at the glass libraries?
    Can Infernals be punished by Orabilis for deducing forbidden knowledge?
    Now I'm thinking with ponies!

3DS friend code:
    2449-5207-9736