New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    That's pretty darn awesome, Thanqol. Your progress scares me. I'll just go hide in a good ol' fashion corner now.
    No! No corners! Being scary isn't the point!

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    Well you've encouraged me to get drawing again and try some new techniques, so you've got one point there at least.
    Hurray!

Your composition's really coming along here. In the second panel, aside from the odd right hand the only criticism is that the angles on the shots isn't quite right - one of those niggling perspective things.
    The third panel has a great pose, though it looks like his right bicep is missing. It should probably be at least partially visible betwee the shoulder and elbow, or the hand should be shifted over to the right of frame (though I like it further out, more menacing I think).
    Ah! Thanks for pointing that out!

Day 101: Cold Water On Fire

Turns out tomorrow was the day I'm away all day.

Also, this might be the cutest thing I have ever drawn.

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 1 Hour
    Music: Cold Water

2. - Top - End - #362
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    And yes, looking at muscle anatomy is on the list but haven't gotten around to it yet. Many delays

I'm a rather cerebral fellow, so take this wiu some salt;
    But foundational skills, like basic anatomy, is something that will give you fast returns just for thinking about it. By which I mean, I think you will go farther, skipping one day of drawing and instead actually studying anatomy, than you would if magical time powers let you get a whole week's worth of drawing in on that day.

As I've said, perfect practice makes perfect, and every day you practice incorrect form, well, is another day you'll have to spend on anatomy just to overcome that reflex. You're young, your mind is still plastic. Get the anatomical stuff while you can!

Origin and insertion of muscles is useful for;
    Shape of muscle at rest/in action
    Understanding what actions are possible
    Understanding what you're seeing when you look at other art
    Shape of bones/ reason behind structure

And that's just knowing which end of the muscle is the "beginning" and which is the "ending".

I'm fully aware that what I know of your schedule ("has a job, does some school, draws for an hour, constantly pony") isn't realistic, Nd you have time constraints, possibly serious ones. I still feel this is important enough to pretend I'm an authority on, and rag on you.
    Seriously though. Remember how much easier everything became when you unlocked the secrets of layers? Or of using the opacity tool? Anatomy is like that, but its like figuring out the compatibility of a previously alien program; leaps and bounds! Hops, skips, adorable pony jumps! What's not to like?

I'm wordy at 04:30... Ahaha.

3. - Top - End - #363

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I'm fully aware that what I know of your schedule ("has a job, does some school, draws for an hour, constantly pony") isn't realistic, Nd you have time constraints, possibly serious ones. I still feel this is important enough to pretend I'm an authority on, and rag on you.
    Seriously though. Remember how much easier everything became when you unlocked the secrets of layers? Or of using the opacity tool? Anatomy is like that, but its like figuring out the compatibility of a previously alien program; leaps and bounds! Hops, skips, adorable pony jumps! What's not to like?

I'm wordy at 04:30... Ahaha.
    Duly noted, and you make a good point! I certainly can't let inertia carry me at this point on such a topic. You've pre-empted my various defensive arguments too, so I won't waste our time with those

Do you have any specific guides or links to turn to? Otherwise I'm pretty much going to be doing a combined arms google image search + deviantart for "Anatomy" and hope they produce helpful results.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ogre in the Playground

In this case I always recommend Burne Hogarth's Dynamic Anatomy. Tremendously useful book.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ogre in the Playground

Day 101: Cold Water On Fire

Turns out tomorrow was the day I'm away all day.

Also, this might be the cutest thing I have ever drawn.

Spoiler
    Show

Music: Cold Water
    Eeee! It's Whitefire! *snuggles* <3
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate
    Psychology has nothing to say on the courtship of dragons, but science will surely catch up in time.
    Spoiler: Previous Avatars!
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Spoiler: Characters
    Show

6. - Top - End - #366
    Banned

I suggest Trailguide to the Body. Complete body anatomy on one end, flashcards for whatever specifics you'd need for the other.

I'll be the first to say though, that just one book doesn't cut it and my suggestion is in addition to specifically art reference books. so anything the actual artists suggest would be good too

7. - Top - End - #367

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look at them when I don't have three days wall-to-wall of stuff lined up.

Day 102: Backslide

STEALING MY IDEAS

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 15 Minutes
    Music: Goddammit Marc Gunn, Shut Up About Your Cat
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-08-29 at 01:42 AM.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ogre in the Playground

101 - very cute

102 - ah, Thanqol's finally gone totally crazy.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think you've captured my likeness very well!

10. - Top - End - #370
    Dwarf in the Playground

Welcome to the wonderful world of completely crazy artists, Thanqol.

Congratulations of getting to 100 days. You've shown real dedication and determination to get better. So many people will say they want to learn to draw, but then never do anything about it. The fact that you've kept at it makes me so happy. Keep being awesome, Thanqol.

Just imagine where you'll be in a year. I better start working on my art more, or you'll get better then me!

Also, I promised forever ago that I'd write up this huge long thing about art and what makes for good art, also including links to a ton of tutorials and recommendations for good art books. I'm not sure you even remember that, but I'll try to get it written up sometime soon. Feel free to nag me about it, it will probably make me get it done faster.

My deviantART account: link.

11. - Top - End - #371

101 - very cute

Quote Originally Posted by Silviya View Post
    Welcome to the wonderful world of completely crazy artists, Thanqol.
    I was feeling it was getting too chummy in here so I decided to launch a bitter, unprovoked attack on a fellow artist in training. I promise one such for every 100 days Mr. Nos completes!

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Ido Nos View Post
    I think you've captured my likeness very well!
    It's the eyebrows.

Congratulations of getting to 100 days. You've shown real dedication and determination to get better. So many people will say they want to learn to draw, but then never do anything about it. The fact that you've kept at it makes me so happy. Keep being awesome, Thanqol.

Just imagine where you'll be in a year. I better start working on my art more, or you'll get better then me!
    Thank you It's been both easier and more difficult than I imagined, but it's been entirely rewarding.

Also, I promised forever ago that I'd write up this huge long thing about art and what makes for good art, also including links to a ton of tutorials and recommendations for good art books. I'm not sure you even remember that, but I'll try to get it written up sometime soon. Feel free to nag me about it, it will probably make me get it done faster.
    Oh yes! That'd be especially helpful now just as I'm starting to come to grips with basic linework and starting to look at finer details / more complex techniques!

I swear I'll look at that anatomy stuff soon. There's just stuff everywhere.

Day 103: What Day Is It

It's Saturday.

This was good fun! Especially for an eraserless, skeletonless (ha!) freehand!

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 1 hour
    Music: Lay Down Interview: Spanishiwa

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ogre in the Playground

I was feeling it was getting too chummy in here so I decided to launch a bitter, unprovoked attack on a fellow artist
    So you've got the artist's mindet down pat then - good to see

Day 103: What Day Is It
    Is he flipping me off?

I'm not sure how a skull face with ears works, but I'm sure it's painful.

The collar on his jacket should fade away more sharply as it is essentially vertical as it goes around the neck.

With his pimp-stick (or any object being held), it's useful to remember that when gripped firmly in a fist a rod/handle runs behind the knuckles , but when gripped lightly will more likely cut across the palm, secured by the pinky finger.
    For this guy if he had it in a loose grip (most likely with his jaunty hat doffing), it would be held vertically, or even inclined slightly to the left of frame, coming into his hand at the same spot but exiting partway through the main part of his hand - directly below the stripe on his glove or thereabouts. His pinky and ring finger would be curved in much more, but the middle and index would still be splayed out.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh yes! That'd be especially helpful now just as I'm starting to come to grips with basic linework and starting to look at finer details / more complex techniques!
    I'll get to work on that. I may not be able to get it done for a bit because I'm currently working on doing lots of novel writing, but I'll have time to also work on that. Shouldn't be longer than two weeks (if it is longer, pester me).

Hmm, maybe I should do something like this. Probably not one picture a day, I'm way to slow for that, but maybe one picture a week or one picture every 10 days. I have been looking through some of the awesome art of DeviantART and despairing that my art is not as good, maybe I should do more about that

My deviantART account: link.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Would it be too gauche to ask if it's a good idea that I get on the daily art drawing deal too? I've been meaning to start a webcomic for ages as an outlet for improving my art, but it's been in catch 22 limbo because I feel my art isn't good enough.

My concern is that before long the whole dang forum would be full of individual threads...

15. - Top - End - #375

Quote Originally Posted by Silviya View Post
    I'll get to work on that. I may not be able to get it done for a bit because I'm currently working on doing lots of novel writing, but I'll have time to also work on that. Shouldn't be longer than two weeks (if it is longer, pester me).
    Ah, wordarts! Good luck with that!

Hmm, maybe I should do something like this. Probably not one picture a day, I'm way to slow for that, but maybe one picture a week or one picture every 10 days. I have been looking through some of the awesome art of DeviantART and despairing that my art is not as good, maybe I should do more about that
    I recommend my rule of "One thing" every day. It could be a few tweaks or a little bit of work on a bigger picture, but as long as it's something rather than nothing. It gets to be a habit and it makes sure you can't put it off for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Would it be too gauche to ask if it's a good idea that I get on the daily art drawing deal too? I've been meaning to start a webcomic for ages as an outlet for improving my art, but it's been in catch 22 limbo because I feel my art isn't good enough.

My concern is that before long the whole dang forum would be full of individual threads...
    Do it! Do it! Do it! It's absolutely worth doing, and I can't think of a better use for an Arts&Crafts forum! I will be your loudest cheerleader every step of the way!

And heck, if this trend does take off to the point where it becomes a problem, then that's the best problem ever.

Day 104: Anatomy

Finally got around to reading a bunch of anatomy tutorials, and tried my hoof at a few of them. SiuiS was right that I should have done this sooner, and chances are I'm going to spend the next week or so doing pieces like this until I've got a basic handle on the process.

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 30 minutes drawing + More reading
    Music: Used To Get High

16. - Top - End - #376

Day 105: It's all okay.

Good gracious. I'm... learning. Things like how to set up a hand. And a body. This whole learning-how-to-do-things-teaches-you-how-to-do-things thing is still alien to me. This is way more effective than eating the pencil shavings of better artists!

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 40 minutes
    Music: Ballad of Autumn Dreams

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

Hum hum, beginning to draw naked women? Don't fall into that trap.

18. - Top - End - #378

Quote Originally Posted by Elder Tsofu View Post
    Don't worry, I'll be sure to do some mancandy for you
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-09-01 at 01:35 AM.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

As long as it doesn't turn out "house of horrors"-style I'm good with that.

20. - Top - End - #380

Day 105a: Mancandy

This can't be right. Hands can't be this easy to draw.

I know hands. Hands are the mutant jellyfish that flail on the ends of arms. I can't just... replace that process with these things, right?

Damn. Why am I still surprised that learning things teaches me things?

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #381

Day 105b: Unstoppable Force

Now this I'm happy with, for now.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #382
    Troll in the Playground

Hands are a bit like ears, depending of the level of details you want, they can be both somme of the hardest and easiest thing to draw.

Persoanly I've alway considered them easy even for the good reason you have two models right at the end of your arms.

That said I notice you have a stange tendency to draw fingers (other than the thumb) with two phalanxes instead of three. That's bad.
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2011-09-01 at 07:33 AM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

23. - Top - End - #383

Quote Originally Posted by smuchmuch View Post
    Hands are a bit like ears, depending of the level of details you want, they can be both somme of the hardest and easiest thing to draw.

Persoanly I've alway considered them easy even for the good reason you have two models right at the end of your arms.

That said I notice you have a stange tendency to draw fingers (other than the thumb) with two phalanxes instead of three. That's bad.
    The breakthrough for me came with the idea that I can draw a bunch of abstract rectangles to assist with the lines and shapes.

And thanks for the heads up, I'll work on fixing that.

24. - Top - End - #384

Day 106: And A Liar Behind A Mask

The hardest part of this was visualising the composition. After that, it happened very easily.

Spoiler
    Show

Music: More People Stealing My Ideas

25. - Top - End - #385

Day 107: Immoveable Object

In a way, it's kind of fitting. Jayden's picture was me picking something crazy ambitious and half pulling it off. Mask's was faking her picture by blurring the line between dodgy art and "I meant to do that". And Charger made me spend two hours being a perfectionist.

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 2 1/2 hours
    Music: How I Feel
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-09-02 at 08:31 AM.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Banned

the undercurrent of everything I've thought since I started reading this just now has been a constant "C'mon, Thanqol! Haven't I been saying that forever?"

Day 105: It's all okay.

Good gracious. I'm... learning. Things like how to set up a hand. And a body. This whole learning-how-to-do-things-teaches-you-how-to-do-things thing is still alien to me. This is way more effective than eating the pencil shavings of better artists!

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 40 minutes
    Music: Ballad of Autumn Dreams
    Tastes better this way, too XD
    You still seem to be having trouble with breasts. So, I know it will ruin the mystique, but...

Spoiler
    Show
    a human breast is a lump of fat that hangs. Take a sack, like a potato sack. Fill it with, oh, let's say a basketball. Now fasten the bag to the wall, so the opening connects to the wall like a lamprey fastened on it's victim.

That's how a boob works. It comes out but then gravity gets all up in it's business and pulls it down. Breasts come in differeing sizes and even shapes, but that is the gist of it. You do better in your second picture though, a lot better.

Hm. A quick preview tells me that this is the second drawing. Thought I'd quoted another one.
    Any way! The lady on the left, I see you did her torso with rectangles. As a lark next time you do a sketchdump thing, is use a sphere (not a circle! Sphere! It must be a sphere in your head!) for the connector between the rectangular ribcage and pelvis. The ribcage/pelvis move around the sphere like it's a ball bearing they are connected to.

Quote Originally Posted by Elder Tsofu View Post
    Trap? How is it a trap? Draw what ya love!

Day 105a: Mancandy

This can't be right. Hands can't be this easy to draw.

I know hands. Hands are the mutant jellyfish that flail on the ends of arms. I can't just... replace that process with these things, right?

Damn. Why am I still surprised that learning things teaches me things?

Spoiler
    Show
    Yay~ you're learning~

Day 105b: Unstoppable Force

Now this I'm happy with, for now.

Spoiler
    Show
    dat Gryphon 6.6

27. - Top - End - #387

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    the undercurrent of everything I've thought since I started reading this just now has been a constant "C'mon, Thanqol! Haven't I been saying that forever?"
    Yes, yes, you were right.

Tastes better this way, too XD
    Yeah. This frees me up to eat their used soap slivers instead!

You still seem to be having trouble with breasts. So, I know it will ruin the mystique, but...

Spoiler
    Show
    a human breast is a lump of fat that hangs. Take a sack, like a potato sack. Fill it with, oh, let's say a basketball. Now fasten the bag to the wall, so the opening connects to the wall like a lamprey fastened on it's victim.

That's how a boob works. It comes out but then gravity gets all up in it's business and pulls it down. Breasts come in differeing sizes and even shapes, but that is the gist of it. You do better in your second picture though, a lot better.
    Welp! You've disabused me of the notion that learning to draw would be a somehow poetic thing!

Hm. A quick preview tells me that this is the second drawing. Thought I'd quoted another one.
    Any way! The lady on the left, I see you did her torso with rectangles. As a lark next time you do a sketchdump thing, is use a sphere (not a circle! Sphere! It must be a sphere in your head!) for the connector between the rectangular ribcage and pelvis. The ribcage/pelvis move around the sphere like it's a ball bearing they are connected to.
    Will do! Will get back into hard research after a day or two, little mentally weary right now.

dat Gryphon 6.6
    Glad you like!

Day 108: Determinator

Spoilers for the Deregulation Space LP.

Quick and dirty, brain went somewhere else today.

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 30 Mins
    Music: Saturday Morning

28. - Top - End - #388

GnomeWizardGuy

Day 108: Determinator

Spoilers for the Deregulation Space LP.

Quick and dirty, brain went somewhere else today.

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 30 Mins
    Music: Saturday Morning
    "Dammit, second best in show again!"

Are you going for the shadow look as a style, or are you working on your outlines and use of space? They look good in silhouette, and I'm guessing it's a good use of limited time.

29. - Top - End - #389

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    "Dammit, second best in show again!"

Are you going for the shadow look as a style, or are you working on your outlines and use of space? They look good in silhouette, and I'm guessing it's a good use of limited time.
    Little of column A, little of column B. I love silhouettes as a thing; they're easy to do and look fantastic. They also teach me to think about pose; to get this right I had to take another photograph of myself in the proper position, and then adjust for the character's body type and so on. And they're just fun, too.

30. - Top - End - #390

GnomeWizardGuy

to get this right I had to take another photograph of myself in the proper position
    That reminds me: there's a camera built into this computer. Getting references for hand poses should be literally a snap.