New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 45 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw!

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    I've already drawn Discord, check back a few pages, but sure! I've got just the idea for how to do it too...
    Can you link me to it? I think I avoided it for fear of spoilers.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate
    Psychology has nothing to say on the courtship of dragons, but science will surely catch up in time.
    Spoiler: Previous Avatars!
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Spoiler: Characters
    Show

2. - Top - End - #482
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkflight View Post
    Can you link me to it? I think I avoided it for fear of spoilers.
    Bam./10chars

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ettin in the Playground

Darn!

What's plasticity? How do I shade for it? Is that that thing you mentioned before?
    Plasticity, also known as "faking depth" in drawn works. That is, using shading to make a object appear as "not a flat cardboard cutout". Would help quite a bit here, i suspect, to get a idea of shapes.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

4. - Top - End - #484
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    Plasticity, also known as "faking depth" in drawn works. That is, using shading to make a object appear as "not a flat cardboard cutout". Would help quite a bit here, i suspect, to get a idea of shapes.
    Ooooooooh.
    I always thought that was just "shading". Creating a sense of depth and lighting is the point isn't it? I mean, aren't all differences in shades based on depth relative to light source?

5. - Top - End - #485

*Nod nod* I'll look into it, but not in the immediate future. Spare time just dropped sharply.

Day 131: Freeze Ray

Minimum amount of time today.

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 30 Mins
    Music: Brand New Day

6. - Top - End - #486

Day 132: Mac Truck Prime

Finally getting around to perspective+Inanimate objects.

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 45 Mins
    Music: This Is Why I Clop (Uh... you know, I'm not going to link it. Youtube it at your own discretion )

7. - Top - End - #487
    Firbolg in the Playground

Do you use any perspective tools in that pic thanqol? I mean, horizon line, vanishing points, lines that goes to vanishing points and such?
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

8. - Top - End - #488

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    Do you use any perspective tools in that pic thanqol? I mean, horizon line, vanishing points, lines that goes to vanishing points and such?
    No *slaps forehead* And I just remembered I should be re-reading my tutorials on the subject.

9. - Top - End - #489

Try to redraw it using those then , you'll see the difference
    Last edited by Fri; 2011-09-27 at 05:39 AM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

10. - Top - End - #490

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    Try to redraw it using those then , you'll see the difference
    But learning things properly is haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard

Fine, that's scheduled for tomorrow.

11. - Top - End - #491

Day 133: Messing up Perspective since '11

This is a mess, I know, I know, but I'm tired and frustrated and I'm not feeling like arting tonight and it was taking too long. Tried some perspective stuff and did some tutorial reading, but for the most part, dem's the breaks. Started and stopped a bunch of different pictures too

It's annoying getting to a level where you know you can do better.

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 1 Hour
    Music: Impressions of Celestial Origins
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-09-28 at 04:19 AM.

12. - Top - End - #492

GnomeWizardGuy

Were you trying to use perspective for any of the objects in that image, or is that an alternative? It doesn't look like there's a lot of perspective related stuff required.

If you're stuck on perspective it wouldn't hurt to try drawing something with one-point perspective like looking down a corridor, fence or railroad track.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Banned

It's annoying getting to a level where you know you can do better.
    Good God is it ever.
    Welcome to why art is a difficult profession. Don't be down, your progress has been incandescent. Everyone has a picture or two (or thirty; i got better but god that slump!) that just don't work as intended.

I suggest trying the truck again, even as a sketch, with guidelines on it. I believe it would be worth your time.

14. - Top - End - #494

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Were you trying to use perspective for any of the objects in that image, or is that an alternative? It doesn't look like there's a lot of perspective related stuff required.

If you're stuck on perspective it wouldn't hurt to try drawing something with one-point perspective like looking down a corridor, fence or railroad track.
    There was a bunch of stuff in the sketch/skeleton that didn't get carried through into the inked version. It does use a horizon line level with the POV's eye and the idea that things below the horizon line are viewed from above, which you gotta remember are still new and groundbreaking concepts for me.

I sort of bounced off the one-point perspectives because I thought they'd be too fast/simple to do but now, in the cold light of morning, I see that was a dumb decision.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

Good God is it ever.
    Welcome to why art is a difficult profession. Don't be down, your progress has been incandescent. Everyone has a picture or two (or thirty; i got better but god that slump!) that just don't work as intended.

I suggest trying the truck again, even as a sketch, with guidelines on it. I believe it would be worth your time.
    I'm going to try the truck again, just yesterday wasn't the best day for it and I didn't feel like I'd learned enough yet to significantly revise it.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm beginning to draw things. Sucking at it, but getting a little better I guess.

This thread inspired me.

16. - Top - End - #496

Quote Originally Posted by maximus25 View Post
    I'm beginning to draw things. Sucking at it, but getting a little better I guess.

This thread inspired me.
    Awesome. It's totally worth doing, no matter how much I whine And it's the best feeling when this thread inspires people.

I'd love to see your art as it develops!

Day 134: What Can I Do?

Doing the same picture twice is booooooriiiing, so I picked a model picture that presented a similar challenge while being unique enough to interest me. You only get the rough sketch outline today because I'm busy.

Stopping to scrutinise the sketch a bit seems like a good idea and something I should do more often; I can see that the back segment of the walker thing should be lowered a little bit. I'll finish this over the next few days.

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 45 mins
    Music: Call Me, Call Me

17. - Top - End - #497

Day 135: Fiscal Policy

A'ight, all done.

I'll start picking out flaws to myself later, but right now, I think this looks good.

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 1 1/2 Hours
    Music: Lucky You
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-09-30 at 01:19 AM.

18. - Top - End - #498

Day 136: Pretty Women

It's not good, but it feels like progress in the right direction. Drawing pretty girls is hard, so I need to practise a lot more.

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 30 mins
    Music: I Need That

19. - Top - End - #499
    Barbarian in the Playground

She has some serious eyebrows.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

20. - Top - End - #500

Quote Originally Posted by billtodamax View Post
    She has some serious eyebrows.
    Haha, whoops, I forgot to fix that.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Ogre in the Playground

While she does exhibit some of my own traits (big eyebrows and overbite in particular), I feel morally obliged to point out that showing teeth is not generally a "pretty" trait - especially not with the upper lip curled up like that. Teeth aren't usually shown unless you're smiling (or have an overbite).
    I'm gonna have to agree with billtodamax about the eyebrows, too. Plus, eyebrows are thicker close to the nose and get smaller towards the sides.

Her nose looks really really good in itself, but if you're going for "generic pretty", the nose should curve inwards. Outwards curving tends to look more masculine (or... latin, I guess).

Her hair looks really good and soft. I think gravity should affect it a little more to the back, and it would look softer if the lines "inside" the hair were longer, but overall it looks sweet. I especially like that it's a little messy around the ear. Nice touch.

Her facial shape is good, too, if a bit square around the brow. In general; soft lines are feminine, square lines are masculine. But the proportions are in place, and you've hit the overall shape of a face very well.

There's a lot of critisism here, but most of it is aimed at "generic prettiness", so it's mostly optional.
    I know I don't drop in here enough, but I check everyday, and your progress is still incredible. You rock, Thanqol
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

22. - Top - End - #502

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    While she does exhibit some of my own traits (big eyebrows and overbite in particular), I feel morally obliged to point out that showing teeth is not generally a "pretty" trait - especially not with the upper lip curled up like that. Teeth aren't usually shown unless you're smiling (or have an overbite).
    I'm gonna have to agree with billtodamax about the eyebrows, too. Plus, eyebrows are thicker close to the nose and get smaller towards the sides.
    Teeth were in the model, kind of a breathy smile.

The eyebrows were placeholders I was meant to go back and fix.

Her nose looks really really good in itself, but if you're going for "generic pretty", the nose should curve inwards. Outwards curving tends to look more masculine (or... latin, I guess).
    Good hint, thanks!

Her hair looks really good and soft. I think gravity should affect it a little more to the back, and it would look softer if the lines "inside" the hair were longer, but overall it looks sweet. I especially like that it's a little messy around the ear. Nice touch.
    Thanks!

Her facial shape is good, too, if a bit square around the brow. In general; soft lines are feminine, square lines are masculine. But the proportions are in place, and you've hit the overall shape of a face very well.
    Yay! ^^ I'll remember that.

There's a lot of critisism here, but most of it is aimed at "generic prettiness", so it's mostly optional.
    I know I don't drop in here enough, but I check everyday, and your progress is still incredible. You rock, Thanqol
    Thanks! Thanks for commenting!

Day 137: Movie Picard Is Worst Picard

Here's your request, Hawkflight. And it worked out half decent too!

Spoiler
    Show

Music: Electric Storm
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-10-02 at 02:13 AM.

23. - Top - End - #503

GnomeWizardGuy

I should get around to watching Season 2 this week so I can understand what you're going on about in these pics.

Anyway, the pic: The... mythological thing... looks interesting and Picard's head is okay if a bit generic bald guy than Patrick Stewart. The main thing my eye is drawn to is the gun - it's flat and weird. I'm not sure I can put my finger on explaining exactly what it is about the gun and how to fix it though myself, although one thing is that since Picard's left hand is closer to the audience it should be larger than the right.

24. - Top - End - #504

I should get around to watching Season 2 this week so I can understand what you're going on about in these pics.

Anyway, the pic: The... mythological thing... looks interesting and Picard's head is okay if a bit generic bald guy than Patrick Stewart. The main thing my eye is drawn to is the gun - it's flat and weird. I'm not sure I can put my finger on explaining exactly what it is about the gun and how to fix it though myself, although one thing is that since Picard's left hand is closer to the audience it should be larger than the right.
    Urk, yeah. I need to re-practise my guns.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ogre in the Playground

Day 137: Movie Picard Is Worst Picard

Here's your request, Hawkflight. And it worked out half decent too!

Spoiler
    Show

Music: Electric Storm
    Coolness! Which movie is that, First Contact?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate
    Psychology has nothing to say on the courtship of dragons, but science will surely catch up in time.
    Spoiler: Previous Avatars!
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Spoiler: Characters
    Show

26. - Top - End - #506

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkflight View Post
    Coolness! Which movie is that, First Contact?
    Correct.

Day 138: Breach

Modelled off a creepy Soviet-era monument, this was an experiment in a background-y scene. Looking at it, I think the big problem is the angle of the floor; too sloped. Tried a few things, though, and by and large I reckon it worked.

Spoiler
    Show

Time 1.5 hours
    Music: Death Area 8

27. - Top - End - #507
    Ettin in the Playground

It's... quite Escher, in a way. :O

I would post a correction of sorts, but man, that thing looks complicated. >_>
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

28. - Top - End - #508

It's... quite Escher, in a way. :O

I would post a correction of sorts, but man, that thing looks complicated. >_>
    Yeah, the thing looks weird, but so does the model.

When I was turning the picture over in my head last night after I'd finished it, I finally got a surge of revelation and understood the shape of the darn thing (It's made of triangles, basically)

29. - Top - End - #509

Day 139: Chain of Marriages

Dear Internet,

Today was totally rad. For a lot of reasons.

Hope you get some radness too.

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 15 Minutes(! - did some other sketches too)
    Music: I'm Not Dead.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-10-04 at 07:37 AM.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Banned

The hands seem right, as from the angle of shoulders and barrel of the gun, they weapon is perpendicular to the camera; the hands are both equidistant from the viewer.

Trouble with the gun is the bullet drum has more perspective applied than the rest. It's visible as if in 3/4 profile, and the rest of the gun looks just straight side-view. But guns are hard.

Also, some help here if you would please...

Spoiler
    Show

What the hay am I looking at!?
    I can't tell if the main curve-swell is convex or concave... It's maddening. I have to fight the urge to move my head to see around the building.

Further review suggests concave, but that's because it makes the shadows slightly less inconsistent. The whole thing still looks like a painting thrown up onto reality.