New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 45 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw!

Quote Originally Posted by fizzybobnewt View Post
    I know what you mean. You know they're trying to create meat without the animal? Just growing muscle by itself? Everyone but me thinks that's creepy.

So what's Kobold society like?
    You know how communism doesn't work because human beings are flawed and greedy? Kobold society is functional communism because a sixth of their number are telepaths who are constantly brainwashing inspiring the rest to be the best they can be. Everyone is perfectly moral as a result. If you work hard, you can go out and take a car out of a store because you know you've earned it. If you didn't earn it, the thought of taking it wouldn't occur to you. This effect applies to other races who live for more than a few months on a Kobold world.

Some people say that surrendering your ability to make terrible decisions that hurt others to help yourself is a bad thing. I'd say that the people who'd argue that are exactly the sort of people who shouldn't be making the decisions.

2. - Top - End - #542

Day 150: Pony's Head In Your Bed

Another coloured SiuiS sketch. I love working with SiuiS' drawings! He's got mad compositional skills which I can then colour in my slapdash way.

Had to actually make a few tweaks to this one. The tie didn't look right and the cane was jabbing his chest rather than tucked under his arm. But that's good! I'd have made a few tweaks anyway because as some guy on the internet once said, 'what's the value of a perfect replica?'.

Original: (SiuiS)
    Spoiler
    Show

Finished:

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 1.5 Hours
    Music: Be Patient

3. - Top - End - #543

Day 151: Nostalgia p3: Sozite

Dechs deServil, or Sozite as he later became, had the Worst Day Ever. I can't even begin to summarise how much his life sucked. He was a character who survived having his identity erased, fighting his own god, an invincible demon tiger, and so much other stuff that it hurts to remember. He even survived a power mad fool being elected moderator by an impersonal bureaucracy and kicking off a demented dictatorship which ended with the total implosion of the entire forum. Sozite's story crossed over to another board and just kept going.

He wound up saving the cosmos, hearing about a followup threat to the cosmos, and turning his back and walking away. "Today I killed a man named Synar the Godkiller," said Sozite, "The least thing the multiverse owes me is a break."

He became the first character of mine to ever truly reach retirement and a happy ending. He had a three year journey through all kinds of hell and psychological torment and he's done. If I try to bring him out of retirement, he'll straight up murder me.

Artistically, I'm mildly annoyed at this piece but my attempts to fix it fizzled, I ran out of time and I just band-aided the problems rather than really dealing with them. OH WELL.

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
    Music: Sway
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-10-16 at 04:22 AM.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ettin in the Playground

Sketch:

Spoiler
    Show

Do it again; see what changes! o/

(Also, decent work on the challenge. More to come. )
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

5. - Top - End - #545

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    Sketch:

Spoiler
    Show

Do it again; see what changes! o/

(Also, decent work on the challenge. More to come. )
    Heh, yeah, I got to the end and was like "Head's too small isn't it? Darn." and I couldn't be stuffed redoing the entire thing at the time. A redo's on the list.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ettin in the Playground

No, the head size is fine. The legs are too big. (But i guess that might depend on perspective, really.)
    Last edited by Domochevsky; 2011-10-16 at 05:53 PM.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

7. - Top - End - #547

No, the head size is fine. The legs are too big. (But i guess that might depend on perspective, really.)
    Ohhh. That would have been much easier to fix.

Day 152: Resurrected

Welcome back, Hugh.

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 50 Mins
    Music: Scratching Harmony

8. - Top - End - #548
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fizzybobnewt View Post
    I know what you mean. You know they're trying to create meat without the animal? Just growing muscle by itself? Everyone but me thinks that's creepy.

So what's Kobold society like?
    It is creepy, silly!
    Unless it's delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Ohhh. That would have been much easier to fix.
    it's funny, because I just wrote myself a spiel about how your philosophy views have helped me avoid situations like this XD

good call on the Dogfather by the bye; I had quite the internal (and somewhat external, and probably forumial somewhere about here) on going with a bow tie instead.

And mister first retired character, there... Sozite. That's an interesting piece of equipment in his hand. Is if truly that old? you also make it too triangular; it would have to be rounder by virtue of fitting a human face.

9. - Top - End - #549

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    it's funny, because I just wrote myself a spiel about how your philosophy views have helped me avoid situations like this XD
    Hahaha, even I have off days

good call on the Dogfather by the bye; I had quite the internal (and somewhat external, and probably forumial somewhere about here) on going with a bow tie instead.
    Ties have their place, but I felt like it dominated the torso too much in that one. A few sketches at different sizes didn't look right either.

And mister first retired character, there... Sozite. That's an interesting piece of equipment in his hand. Is if truly that old? you also make it too triangular; it would have to be rounder by virtue of fitting a human face.[/color]
    I've had that mask since... what, 2004? The nightmare has been around for longer than that. That's the year it took form.

Sozite's sister decided to betray him and put an Arcani mask on him. A friend of Sozite's committed the ultimate, uh, faux pas, and wrote a name on his mask. That started a cascade of memories that eventually lead to him breaking free from the curse and becoming a sort of free willed Arcani-human-hybrid thing. That was how his day started.

And it doesn't so much fit human faces as it eats them.

10. - Top - End - #550

Day 153: Enhhh

Today... well. I'm not gonna whine. I can do better than that. The result, though, is you get a crappy sketch. On the upshot, I filled my first sketchbook!

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 15 mins
    Music: Traffic noise.

11. - Top - End - #551

Day 154: Pure+Honest

This was much more difficult to do than it was in my head and I'm not completely happy with how it turned out. But it was broadly educational so net win.

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 2 Hours
    Music: Twilight Sparkle's Mind is a Curious Place

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ogre in the Playground

Day 149a: Nostalgia p2: Athi
    The body is very good proportion and shape wise. The only niggling part is her right hand, which looks like she might be about to ask me to turn my head and cough... left hand is spot on though
    Possibly the oddest thing about her face, besides the obvious, is that is is a very cartoony style (exaggerated eyes etc) while the rest is done in a more realistic way.
    Still, very good overall.

Day 151: Nostalgia p3: Sozite
    Others have pointed out that he left his head in the wash, but for some minor nitpicks I'll chime in
    His left hand, the knuckles are out of whack - they should be in a line, or the index lower than the middle, but the same as the ring. Getting his head to angle forward like that when he turns is good, a lot of people forget that.
    Aside from the proportion issue, the pose is well done, though cutting off the feet like that only accentuates the oddness - but that's a composition thing.

Day 152: Resurrected
    ,A few crazy perspective things going on here - the balcony (?) in the top right of frame is either angled over, or else the viewer shouldn't be able to see the top of it like that. Similarly if the floor isn't on an incline the door should start around the figure's knees, and unless it's really far away (or small) be much bigger.

The figure himself is fine, though a little flat (and you cut off his feet - don't avoid them!). A few simple things would add to his sense of mass. First would be to make his hand not flat to the viewer, and second would be to add some depth to the cloak, especially about his shoulders. But for 15 minutes work, you've it's a good piece - his face is tres bon
    Last edited by Zorg; 2011-10-19 at 11:27 AM.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ettin in the Playground

Hm... shouldn't their hind legs bend down due to gravity? They're held by the tail (Which i imagine hurts quite a bit) not the legs, after all.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #554

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    The body is very good proportion and shape wise. The only niggling part is her right hand, which looks like she might be about to ask me to turn my head and cough... left hand is spot on though
    Possibly the oddest thing about her face, besides the obvious, is that is is a very cartoony style (exaggerated eyes etc) while the rest is done in a more realistic way.
    Still, very good overall.

Others have pointed out that he left his head in the wash, but for some minor nitpicks I'll chime in
    His left hand, the knuckles are out of whack - they should be in a line, or the index lower than the middle, but the same as the ring. Getting his head to angle forward like that when he turns is good, a lot of people forget that.
    Aside from the proportion issue, the pose is well done, though cutting off the feet like that only accentuates the oddness - but that's a composition thing.

,A few crazy perspective things going on here - the balcony (?) in the top right of frame is either angled over, or else the viewer shouldn't be able to see the top of it like that. Similarly if the floor isn't on an incline the door should start around the figure's knees, and unless it's really far away (or small) be much bigger.

The figure himself is fine, though a little flat (and you cut off his feet - don't avoid them!). A few simple things would add to his sense of mass. First would be to make his hand not flat to the viewer, and second would be to add some depth to the cloak, especially about his shoulders. But for 15 minutes work, you've it's a good piece - his face is tres bon
    *Nod nod, takes notes* Thank you! The feet thing is an ongoing problem I'm finally starting to notice. It's not laziness, it's just accidentally making the sketch so large that the character drops off the edge of the frame. I've been working on it.

Otherwise I'll practise everything you pointed out, thank you!

Hm... shouldn't their hind legs bend down due to gravity? They're held by the tail (Which i imagine hurts quite a bit) not the legs, after all.
    Ponies get dangled by the tail/tailbitten all the time

Spoiler
    Show

(You're right, though, shoulda thought of that)

15. - Top - End - #555

Day 155: Weapons Test

I'm trying the trial version of SAI Paint, and so far I'm actually really liking it. It's got a lot of what I thought was missing from Corel while still having a pretty user friendly interface and giving access to features I didn't even know I was missing, like line density. I'll keep using it for a few more days and, if all goes well, I might end up buying it for ticket price.

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 20 minutes
    Music: Misery Business

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ogre in the Playground

Ponies get dangled by the tail/tailbitten all the time

Spoiler
    Show
    I wonder what it says that all of those pics are AppleDash....
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate
    Psychology has nothing to say on the courtship of dragons, but science will surely catch up in time.
    Spoiler: Previous Avatars!
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Spoiler: Characters
    Show

17. - Top - End - #557

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkflight View Post
    I wonder what it says that all of those pics are AppleDash....
    I'm not saying anything but Applejack sure does spend a lot of time with Rainbow's tail in her mouth! (God that sounds dirty)

156: Jeddar Monks

Still playing around with Paint Tool SAI. This was mostly done in the Linework layer. Played around with a whole bunch of features and buttons (buttons? I love buttons!). Have to relearn a bunch of stuff, but them's the breaks.

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 45 mins
    Music: Whisper

18. - Top - End - #558
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, question. Have you considered trying out a couple of short comics? Like, a page or two, to get a feel for drawing sequential pictures?
    Psychology has nothing to say on the courtship of dragons, but science will surely catch up in time.
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Show

19. - Top - End - #559

Hey, question. Have you considered trying out a couple of short comics? Like, a page or two, to get a feel for drawing sequential pictures?
    I've done this once, and I've got another in mind for later, but I do remember it's an interesting challenge. ... Oh yes, I remember another experiment I was going to do! I'll do something like this once I'm comfortable in this new program.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ogre in the Playground

Awesome! And if you ever need ideas, you know where to find them.
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Show

21. - Top - End - #561

Awesome! And if you ever need ideas, you know where to find them.
    Please, give me ideas! Really, at the moment my drawings are determined more or less randomly or based on one-off comments about things I need to work on.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Ogre in the Playground

Please, give me ideas! Really, at the moment my drawings are determined more or less randomly or based on one-off comments about things I need to work on.
    Well, if you reeeeeeally need ideas ... I had this idea for a comic where my Dewott (the ninja otter pokemon) fights this giant purple wurm....

But actually, I would like to make a request. And it's a pony request. But I was wondering if you could draw little foal Heartflight tending her plushie shop? She's blue and has a golden mane like Odd Job's, and her cutie mark has something to do with tending to sick puppies. (Oh, and she sometimes wears a frilly dress, though I forget what color, if you wanna try that.)
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Show

23. - Top - End - #563
    Barbarian in the Playground

She has a mark of a sick puppy on her?

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ogre in the Playground

No, like, something to do with taking care of sick pets.
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Show

25. - Top - End - #565
    Barbarian in the Playground

Oh, one of those "works better in person" things. I knew what you meant.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Banned

a challenge? Sequential comic making? Sounds like a plan.

The Story
    Spoiler
    Show

combination shot: wide shot of a camp, with a cliff and boot superimposed over it (looking over the cliff at the camp).

Close-up: Portrait shot of character who boot belongs to, angled so thu are looking down.

Medium shot, panning left to right: character jumping off/rung down cliff/hill towards camp, be sure the establish sense of motion.

Wide shot: multiple folks in said camp noticing and looking up, try to ge different sizes and perspectives.

The Suggestions

Spoiler
    Show

Scene 1: focus on the boot. It should be clear, crisp; the camp itself could be vaguely shaped blobs of color, like an out of focus scene. Or reverse, but that seems weird to me.

Scene 2: try for a 3/4 profile, since full frontal and full profile are already strong points. I'm sure you could look at every anime ever for examples of the shot.

Scene 3: I suggest plotting out the body position first.

Scene 4: splash panel, wide enough to take up the entire bottom of the page. Do the background and lay the other panels over it, so some of scene shows between the other 4 panels.

That's page one of random stuff I'm going to throw at you. Sound up for it?

27. - Top - End - #567

Day 157: MANLY

PURE. MANLINESS. Hawkflight, request complete. SiuiS, I'll take a gander at trying that sequence when schedule lets up a bit

Artistically, this worked out ai'ight, though it was mostly an exploration of the interface. LEARNING SPIRALS UPWARDS!

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
    Music: Marshmallow of Generosity
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-10-22 at 01:12 AM.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Ogre in the Playground

Day 157: MANLY

PURE. MANLINESS. Hawkflight, request complete. SiuiS, I'll take a gander at trying that sequence when schedule lets up a bit

Artistically, this worked out ai'ight, though it was mostly an exploration of the interface. LEARNING SPIRALS UPWARDS!

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
    Music: Marshmallow of Generosity
    CUUUUTE! Thanks!

(Though it is a bit weird seeing a pony standing on two legs. )
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Show

29. - Top - End - #569

Day 158: Halloween Special!

Midnight and Metal Mask dressed to kill!

Very happy with this.

Spoiler
    Show

Alt:

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
    Music: Time Is Running Out
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-10-23 at 02:51 AM.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Ettin in the Playground

So in the first version the left one is wearing two masks?
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show