New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 45 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw!

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    So in the first version the left one is wearing two masks?
    Exactly! MASKS ALL THE WAY DOWN!

2. - Top - End - #572
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Exactly! MASKS ALL THE WAY DOWN!

That could be your next work - masks within masks within masks (within masks).
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

3. - Top - End - #573

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post

That could be your next work - masks within masks within masks (within masks).
    The reality shall be far more terrifying

Day 159: Spectacular

Possibly my best piece yet, and an appropriate reveal for Mask's true identity.

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 20 Minutes
    Music: My own singing voice!

4. - Top - End - #574

Day 160: Flashcards

Best. Game. Ever. Also absolutely terrifying. Dunno how I'm gonna sleep tonight.

Spoiler
    Show

Time: ~15 mins each
    Music: Capital G

5. - Top - End - #575

Day 161: Fair's Fair

"I don't think a matter as important as your death should be left to chance, do you?"

*Flips coin*

"Let's see what God has to say."

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 40 minutes
    Music: Vessel

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ogre in the Playground

Something about that expression looks... really right. Especially the eyebrows and the nose.
    You seem to have the basics of hands down, too (still needs a lot of refining, of course).

Two things:
    The clothes folds are a little off. Look at real clothes and try to make out how they stretch. Folds tend to follow specific directions and show up specific places, depending on material. It's a difficult one.
    Guns usually don't bend in a 90 degree angle. This is a smaller thing, but hey, it's still worth fixing.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

7. - Top - End - #577

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    Something about that expression looks... really right. Especially the eyebrows and the nose.
    You seem to have the basics of hands down, too (still needs a lot of refining, of course).

Two things:
    The clothes folds are a little off. Look at real clothes and try to make out how they stretch. Folds tend to follow specific directions and show up specific places, depending on material. It's a difficult one.
    Guns usually don't bend in a 90 degree angle. This is a smaller thing, but hey, it's still worth fixing.
    *Nod nod* Thanks! I'll watch for those things in the future.

Day 162: The Intimidate Check

+2 Equipment Bonus sounds about right.

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 1 hour
    Music: Meet Your Master

8. - Top - End - #578
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"I'm gonna take this tube of paint, burst into your house, and squeeze it."

I like the dramatic shadows, but I'm not sure where the light sources are; half seem to be from the door, the other half from somewhere in front. I don't know if that's okay for dramatic effect though.

9. - Top - End - #579

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    "I'm gonna take this tube of paint, burst into your house, and squeeze it."

I like the dramatic shadows, but I'm not sure where the light sources are; half seem to be from the door, the other half from somewhere in front. I don't know if that's okay for dramatic effect though.
    *Nod nod* I should pay more attention to light sources.

Day 163: Cure For Insomnia

Go out and deck a guy. Phoe has all the best stories.

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 1 Hour 15 mins
    Music: Lunar Luminescence

10. - Top - End - #580

Day 164: Recklessly Disregarding Gravity

I think I did this cute flying thing-thing wrong.

Kinda crude. Alas.

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
    Music: The Tin Soldier

11. - Top - End - #581

Day 165: Aw Yea

*Fistpump*

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
    Music: The Dark Ruler

12. - Top - End - #582

Does anyone have any good hair tutorials? I'm starting to realise that's an area I've got no idea how to properly approach.

13. - Top - End - #583
    Ogre in the Playground

Day 162: The Intimidate Check
    NOt bad - great sense of style and atmosphere to it. Manipulating light and shadow works well to create mood effects, but you have to be careful when bending the rules it doesn't become overdone.

Day 164: Recklessly Disregarding Gravity
    Made me laugh The expressions are well done, though from a compositional view the final frame of the moustachioed dude might be better flipped so he's scowling at the prone figure.

Day 165: Aw Yea
    *Return fistbump* The line of her hair is the only thing that's looking off to me. If she had fractionally more volume at the crown of her head, but it came down straighter it would look better.

For what I mean see this pic, and this one, and this one.

Even if you were aiming to have her with especially thick hair, it still tends to sit flat on the scalp as the weight of it pulls the hair flat. curly hair is a bit different, but if it's as long as it looks in the pic, it still wouldn't get that much volume at the back/sides and not top.

Here's a good tutorial for showing the drawing of hair - it compares against a photograph so it's easy to follow. It's basically shading.

Here's an unrelated link you might find useful - 53 different types of athletic bodies.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

14. - Top - End - #584

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    NOt bad - great sense of style and atmosphere to it. Manipulating light and shadow works well to create mood effects, but you have to be careful when bending the rules it doesn't become overdone.
    Awesome, thanks :)

Made me laugh The expressions are well done, though from a compositional view the final frame of the moustachioed dude might be better flipped so he's scowling at the prone figure.
    There's a thought.

*Return fistbump* The line of her hair is the only thing that's looking off to me. If she had fractionally more volume at the crown of her head, but it came down straighter it would look better.

For what I mean see this pic, and this one, and this one.

Even if you were aiming to have her with especially thick hair, it still tends to sit flat on the scalp as the weight of it pulls the hair flat. curly hair is a bit different, but if it's as long as it looks in the pic, it still wouldn't get that much volume at the back/sides and not top.

Here's a good tutorial for showing the drawing of hair - it compares against a photograph so it's easy to follow. It's basically shading.

Here's an unrelated link you might find useful - 53 different types of athletic bodies.
    Thanks so much for those links! It's gonna be a bit tricky to re-engineer them to be applicable to digital art though. I'll get to it when I have time

Day 166: Nostalgia p4: Epistler

Epistler's one of my favourites. A vicious, smartass psuedodragon who has an enormously inflated opinion of his own self importance and talents. Proud, poisonous, and cruel, he's like an evil, venomous cat.

This is incomplete; I want to do the scales, and properly, but I'm out of time today. I'll finish it later.

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 1 Hour
    Music: Building a Mystery
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-10-30 at 10:15 PM.

15. - Top - End - #585

Day 166a: Hrm

This isn't bad, it's just nothing like what I'm trying to draw. I don't know what I'm trying to draw either. I dunno, I give up for now.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-10-31 at 06:02 AM.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Banned

Throwing this here because the how to draw thread already has me as it's last post.
    Okay, ponythread, this problem has gone on for long enough and I'm unable to solve it myself. I need halp.

My OC, Charger. I know what she looks like as a pony. I know her personality to a T. I don't, however, figure out for the life of me what a humanized version of her would look like or sound like. I've tried a bunch of sketches but nothing quite seems right.

So what I'm asking is either reference pictures of characters or people you think might fit the personality, or word-descriptions of what she'd look like. Preferably for a 21st century iteration of the character.

Keywords;
    - Disciplined
    - Regal
    - Unbreakable
    - Contemptuous of those she doesn't respect
    - Chivalric (Thinks she's Lancelot)

Worddescrips would be great, more detail is better. If anyone does a sketch I will hug you and kiss you and call you George.
    Spoiler
    Show

Her left leg needs to be directly under her body, her right one splayed out more. It will eventually be stepping on something for slight height.

Detail of face. Too heavy at center of face; she looks too angry. Hairline bothers me. Don't know if she would have even hair, widows peak, or dedicated part based on brushing habits. No idea why that bothers me so much.

I'm having trouble separating her visually/mentally from Jayden.

Paler skin, upturned, "cute" nose. Less button, mote petite; straight bridge from brow to tip. Tenseness in the cheeks - a visual cue, bringing your tongue to the back of your teeth, pressed to the roof of the mouthz, creating an airtight space that pulls the cheekskin inward subtly. Steely eyes with level, horizontal eyebrows growing more bulbous towards the bridge. Relatively speaking; still thin, effeminate eyebrows. But dark. Eyes are slightly lidded, giving an almond shape without slant. Meeting point of brow and nose creased evenly, one vertical line separating both brows from rest of forehead from constant glaring looks. Shoulders back and up; arms, legs rounded and chest puffed. Sense of pride, also strength. Conviction rests in the eyes looking into the distance, but Focused.

Clothing; double breasted, fully fastened. Boots, work boots, because even a knight has to slog through the mud leading her horse at times. Polished, of course. Clothing pristine; very few wrinkles, even where expected; well tailored outfits.

Is she left or right handed? What is her "default martial stance"? Does she stand legs splayed? Knees bent, how deep- casual skateboarder or regimental horse stance?

Aim for continual poise. No. Necessarily in the usual sense; her posture should be one of leaning, in that brief instant between the spirit forming intention, and the body running down a hill break-neck. A sense of pregnancy to her every Waiting action.

-

Is your las picture Charger?
    If so, I'd say expression is perfect, but she's standing too passively. If the triangle is a sword/lance, I'd say hold it Chinese style; thumb on blade-side of quillions, ring/pinkie fingers on handle side, middle and index extended in a two-finger point along the handle. Allows the blade to rest comfortably and safely behind the shoulder while still prominent, and can be snapped out like a much longer, scarier Chinese midieval switchblade.

Also, lose the pointy shoulders, go for square pauldrons like you see on cap'n crunch. She doesn't need clothing that screams dominance; her body language does it for her.

All pulled out of me arse, of course.
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2011-10-31 at 10:37 PM.

17. - Top - End - #587

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Throwing this here because the how to draw thread already has me as it's last post.

Spoiler
    Show

Her left leg needs to be directly under her body, her right one splayed out more. It will eventually be stepping on something for slight height.

Detail of face. Too heavy at center of face; she looks too angry. Hairline bothers me. Don't know if she would have even hair, widows peak, or dedicated part based on brushing habits. No idea why that bothers me so much.
    Thanks for that pose, I'll give it a try soonish.

I'm having trouble separating her visually/mentally from Jayden.
    It's a matter of focus. Charger's mind is a straight line. She's not smart. She's not creative. It's like thinking with a helmet inside your skull, like everything is aimed forwards, like you are what you're doing. Jayden is scattered, chaotic yet symphonic, rising and falling with the music. Charger is precision, directed power, focus. Jayden is creativity and inspiration.

Paler skin, upturned, "cute" nose. Less button, mote petite; straight bridge from brow to tip. Tenseness in the cheeks - a visual cue, bringing your tongue to the back of your teeth, pressed to the roof of the mouthz, creating an airtight space that pulls the cheekskin inward subtly. Steely eyes with level, horizontal eyebrows growing more bulbous towards the bridge. Relatively speaking; still thin, effeminate eyebrows. But dark. Eyes are slightly lidded, giving an almond shape without slant. Meeting point of brow and nose creased evenly, one vertical line separating both brows from rest of forehead from constant glaring looks. Shoulders back and up; arms, legs rounded and chest puffed. Sense of pride, also strength. Conviction rests in the eyes looking into the distance, but Focused.
    *Nod nod*

Clothing; double breasted, fully fastened. Boots, work boots, because even a knight has to slog through the mud leading her horse at times. Polished, of course. Clothing pristine; very few wrinkles, even where expected; well tailored outfits.
    Agreed here.

Is she left or right handed? What is her "default martial stance"? Does she stand legs splayed? Knees bent, how deep- casual skateboarder or regimental horse stance?
    She inherited a lot of Ten Feather Quill, so it's about motion and control. Constantly moving very slowly, and then almost a flick - like a drop of water thrown up from the crest of a wave, like hardly a movement, her strike is complete. Starts high and straight, bends low to strike, comes up smoothly and turns away.

Aim for continual poise. No. Necessarily in the usual sense; her posture should be one of leaning, in that brief instant between the spirit forming intention, and the body running down a hill break-neck. A sense of pregnancy to her every Waiting action.
    This I'll try to do.

Is your las picture Charger?
    If so, I'd say expression is perfect, but she's standing too passively. If the triangle is a sword/lance, I'd say hold it Chinese style; thumb on blade-side of quillions, ring/pinkie fingers on handle side, middle and index extended in a two-finger point along the handle. Allows the blade to rest comfortably and safely behind the shoulder while still prominent, and can be snapped out like a much longer, scarier Chinese midieval switchblade.

Also, lose the pointy shoulders, go for square pauldrons like you see on cap'n crunch. She doesn't need clothing that screams dominance; her body language does it for her.

All pulled out of me arse, of course.[/color]
    The last picture was a shot in that direction, but looked way too old, way too severe. I'm getting the same problem from your face sketch. She's younger, more feminine, the little girl who has decided to be a hero, a Knight, and is prepared to live up to that. It's like...

Spoiler
    Show

She has traits that would make her pretty, feminine. But you don't think she ever would. The focus there overpowers everything else. Beautiful like a sword is beautiful.

It's surprising how much of your suggestions were implementing in the piece below, which was made before I read this post.

In general, this has given a lot of things to think about, so thank you. I'm getting closer, but I'm not quite there.

Day 167: En Guarde

It's not right, and it's a simplified style. But it's closer. A lot of different colouring experiments here, which by and large worked.

Time: ~2 hours? Was working on and off for an extended period, trying multiple techniques and additional sketches etc.
    Music: What Is Faith?
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-11-01 at 01:23 AM.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by thanqol
    The last picture was a shot in that direction, but looked way too old, way too severe. I'm getting the same problem from your face sketch. She's younger, more feminine, the little girl who has decided to be a hero, a Knight, and is prepared to live up to that. It's like...

She has traits that would make her pretty, feminine. But you don't think she ever would. The focus there overpowers everything else. Beautiful like a sword is beautiful.

It's surprising how much of your suggestions were implementing in the piece below, which was made before I read this post.

In general, this has given a lot of things to think about, so thank you. I'm getting closer, but I'm not quite there.
    Aye. Im having trouble with the face, too. I'm strutting against either bowl cut or pigtails, and a school-girl's skirt. I think if I can lift and narrow the chin, give her more a sense of cupidity, it would be better.

And I find it funny how much of my post is the same
    As Blastech's or that Luna picture. We're all on the same wavelength, trying to express the same ideal through limited media. It's a fascinating thing that coul really let one develop a sense of brotherhood if one wanted.

I'll try and finish it up, show it off later. But sleep now.

19. - Top - End - #589

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

Aye. Im having trouble with the face, too. I'm strutting against either bowl cut or pigtails, and a school-girl's skirt. I think if I can lift and narrow the chin, give her more a sense of cupidity, it would be better.

And I find it funny how much of my post is the same
    As Blastech's or that Luna picture. We're all on the same wavelength, trying to express the same ideal through limited media. It's a fascinating thing that coul really let one develop a sense of brotherhood if one wanted.

I'll try and finish it up, show it off later. But sleep now.
    I tried a bunch of things!

Day 167a: PRODUCTIVITY

This gaming session was brilliant for art. Take a look! TAKE A LOOK AT IT ALL! AHAHAHAHAHAHA

Spoiler
    Show

Startoff pic, broadly clumsy

Spoiler
    Show

This turned out much better.

Spoiler
    Show

Aw yea, hittin' my stride

Spoiler
    Show

This one's a touch off

Spoiler
    Show

Ivory Smile, LOOKIN' GOOD!

Spoiler
    Show

And some more experimental Charger faces and hairstyles. Generally crap, but the bottom left one does stand out as the best of the lot!

WOO

20. - Top - End - #590

Day 168: Bees. My God.

NOT THE BEES!! AAAAAAH!!!

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 45 minutes
    Music: Pull Me Under

21. - Top - End - #591

GnomeWizardGuy

Is that a bee pony hybrid or a beekeeper pony?

22. - Top - End - #592

Is that a bee pony hybrid or a beekeeper pony?
    The latter, though she has very bee-ey traits.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Barbarian in the Playground

Next: Draw a realistic pony.

24. - Top - End - #594

Quote Originally Posted by fizzybobnewt View Post
    Next: Draw a realistic pony.
    Aw man, real horses are weird. All thin and bony and stuff.

25. - Top - End - #595

Day 169: Whop-whop-whop

Okay, had 15 minutes to do this in. SOME DAYS I DO NOT DO GOOD PICTURES

Mostly it was a play around with experimental functions and random buttons. Learning happened. Application of that learning, notsomuch.

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 15 mins
    Music: Always A Filly

26. - Top - End - #596

GnomeWizardGuy

Is it meant to be anything, or just random play? The brown things look like an interesting paint tool.

Most of the days where I don't post anything are spent like this, or simply doodling heads in poses on paper that I can't be bothered scanning in. I'm in two minds about whether it's worth posting everything so it's all out there, even though if it's me playing with colour with a result looking like a splash of technicolour vomit, or scanning in yet another page of twenty egg-shaped heads like ones I've posted before.

27. - Top - End - #597

Is it meant to be anything, or just random play? The brown things look like an interesting paint tool.

Most of the days where I don't post anything are spent like this, or simply doodling heads in poses on paper that I can't be bothered scanning in. I'm in two minds about whether it's worth posting everything so it's all out there, even though if it's me playing with colour with a result looking like a splash of technicolour vomit, or scanning in yet another page of twenty egg-shaped heads like ones I've posted before.
    A beginning of a logo design. The yellow stuff is trying various acryllic brushes with canvas/paper/blur textures and various hardness settings. Domo told me to experiment and experiment I shall!

28. - Top - End - #598

Day 170: Success

Finally, a version of Charger I like.

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 2 hours
    Music: All Along The Watchtower
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-11-04 at 06:12 AM.

29. - Top - End - #599
    Ettin in the Playground

Mhm, the shading is kinda dubious in spots, but overall i like it as well. Solid pose and angle.

(But needs less whitespace. )
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

30. - Top - End - #600

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    Mhm, the shading is kinda dubious in spots, but overall i like it as well. Solid pose and angle.

(But needs less whitespace. )
    *Nod nod* Yay!

Day 171: Ongoing

Another pic, different pose, proving I can master the character in motion. There's a few misproportions and flaws, and I didn't have time for shading, but it's "Okay".

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 1.5 Hours
    Music: Illusion and Dream