New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default SWSE: Kinetic Combat Force power

The power:

Kinetic Combat [Telekinetic]
    You use the Force to manipulate your chosen weapon, allowing it to operate
    independent of your grasp. Time: Standard action. Target: You.
    Make a Use the Force check. If you succeed on a DC 20 check, you can
    telekinetically move a one-handed melee weapon you hold up to 12 squares and
    make an attack with it. The weapon is considered held by you, even if it is hovering
    nearby and not in your hands. The attack uses your base attack bonus modified by
    your Charisma modifier as the attack bonus for the attack. A successful attack deals
    normal melee weapon damage, adding one-half your heroic level to the damage as
    normal and substituting your Charisma modifier for your Strength modifier for
    damage. Talents and feats that would normally enhance a weapon's use do not do so
    while you are using kinetic combat to wield the weapon (for example, you cannot
    use Mighty Swing or Power Attack while wielding the weapon). The weapon
    threatens all squares adjacent to it, and it can be used to make an attack of
    opportunity if a target provokes one from the weapon. Any attacks of opportunity
    made by the weapon count as thought they were made by you.

Special: you can maintain kinetic combat from round to round, extending
    the normal duration. Maintaining the kinetic combat power is a swift action,
    and as a standard action each round you maintain it you can direct the weapon
    to move up to 6 squares and make a single attack against a target adjacent to
    the weapon, though the weapon must remain within 12 squares of you or the
    power's effect ends. If you suffer damage while maintaining kinetic combat, you
    must succeed on a Use the Force check (DC = 15 + damage taken) to continue
    maintaining the power.
    You can spend a Force Point to gain a +1 bonus on attack rolls with a
    weapon wielded using kinetic combat.

The question:

Can the feat Weapon Focus Lightsaber be used with this power? I do realize that it says "Talents and feats that would normally enhance a weapon's use do not do so
    while you are using kinetic combat to wield the weapon (for example, you cannot
    use Mighty Swing or Power Attack while wielding the weapon)" but it also says that the weapon is considered held by you, and the examples given are of things allowing bonus damage, not a bonus to hit. I have one player who uses Kinetic Combat, and wishes to take Weapon Focus Lightsaber, and I am probably going to let them do so (and let them apply it to attack rolls with the floating saber) as it does not seem game breaking to me. However, any input or previous experiences with this would be welcomed.
    Last edited by Alejandro; 2012-02-27 at 05:53 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: SWSE: Kinetic Combat Force power

I would say that by RAW, it doesn't work. However, the question you really should be asking, isn't whether RAW allows it, but where on the power curve the player character is in relation to the rest of the party. If your player, being a jedi, is the strongest party member, and the campaign is very combat heavy, then I would suggest not allowing it. However, if the jedi isn't the strongest, or you focus enough on non-combat (my current campaign for example gives the skill monkey and the party face shine most of the time, so hax combat skills don't break party contributions), then I would okay it.

That said, hurting people isn't the way Telekinetic Combat breaks the game. Using it with a light whip (so you can grapple people from 12 squares away), or using 2 weapons and blocking/deflecting (protect 2 people at once) are good ways to use this to shut down a lot of enemy offense. For one of those (block/deflect), these feat doesn't matter. Not sure on the grappling part.
    Last edited by demigodus; 2012-02-27 at 06:13 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: SWSE: Kinetic Combat Force power

It's a large group and there are multiple Jedi in it, and I try for an even split between combat importance and skills/RP importance. So, it shouldn't be overpowering, especially considering right now the most combat lethal character isn't actually any of the Jedi, it's the Wookiee.