New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1503
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Banned

Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

Lots of people also absolutely love Tiger and Bunny, Mawaru Penguindrum and Fate/Zero, as much as I hate to say that last one. There has also been season 2 of K-On which is probably the best slice of life comedy about high school girls out there and it was extremely well made in most regards, even if you don't like the genre. At least among feminists, yuri fans and old school sci-fi fans Bodacious Space Pirates is considered a modern classic, even if the general anime viewing audience doesn't agree. If we look to movies Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya had quite a good reception to put it mildly, to the point where I've only seen one person who doesn't hate the entire franchise say he didn't like it and several people who didn't care much for the show claim to love it.

And I have to say, that if Madoka doesn't count as something truly great then either you're losing interest in anime, your nostalgia goggles for the great shows of the past are way too strong or you can't see past personal preference to look at quality in production. I mean, I think that Revolutionary Girl Utena is hugely overrated but I can certainly see why it is one of the best shows at being what it tries to be, I just personally don't like what it tries to be all that much.

As for Shin Sekai Yori, the flatness of the characters really bugs me and the several episodes dedicated to bakenezumi fighting each other seemed kinda like nothing important was happening. I'm still following it, but the last three episodes have had much less of the wonder, mystery and creeping dread of the first four. So I've come to see Robotics;Notes as my favorite show of the season and my number two of the year.

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    Saw up to about episode 5.

Seems to be changing genre every episode, but that was mainly made obvious by the last one.

Characters are still pretty much just there.
    The start of the mini adventure arc? Yeah by episode 8 it changes again.

I agree that the characters aren't that great, but I find the setting quite interesting. I don't know what to think of the series currently as of episode 8... it has the potential to be great or... go down the drain.

Define an anime more than 3 years old that you consider great and they'll probably be equivalents.

Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai
    Usagi Drop
    Steins;Gate
    Puella Magi Madoka Magica
    Kokoro Connect
    Hanasaku Iroha

Are considered quite good.

Oops I just listed slice of life and stuff other people rave about.

By definition its hard to know what's classic until its old.
    Of course. My 'problem' can probably boil down to there not being any good animes of the genres I enjoy...So here are some of my favorites from the last 10 or so years. (Obviously these are my personal opinion)

Spoiler
    Show

Ghost in the Shell-Has there ever been another show that surpasses it in its genre? The only one I've come across is Psycho Pass and so far it doesn't come near.

Honey and Clover- The only slice of life I truly enjoyed probably because I could relate to the characters due to experiencing a similar situation at the time. Other similar shows such as Nodame Contabile I simply cannot get to like.

Wolf's Rain- Perhaps a bit of a cult hit this one. I thoroughly enjoyed it due to the setting (humanity has screwed up the planet) and great OST, don't remember the characters much, but I do remember crying in the last two episodes so they must have been at least ok . I am not aware of any other anime that is similar to this one.

FMA Brotherhood- One of the better if not the best Action Adventure anime out there. It boasts great character development, a good storyline, mostly good characters and a well fleshed out setting. Bleach was goodish (not as good as FMA) for the first 80 or so episodes and Soul Eater showed promised, but failed to full-fill it imo

12 Kingdoms- A fantastic Fantasy Adventure show. Great setting, great music and good character development, visuals were far from great, but suit the series. A shame it was axed early :(. Magi so far cannot compare to it.

Mushishi- In the paranormal category this one is quite unique in its approach I think. One of my all time favorites. There's Holic and a few others that deal with paranormal activity that are goodish, but I do not find them quite as good.

Kino no Tabi- One of the few anime that has actually stimulated me to think. I haven't seen that many fantasy/dystropian anime so there may be better ones out there.

Durrarara/ Baccano- a bit philosphical, some paranormal elements, like-able characters, there are many anime that have these, but I just like these two more than the rest.

So are any of the new 'cream of the crop' series comparable/are of similar genre to the above? IMO no though they are still good. Just not memorable for me.

Edit: To accommodate the above response.

I generally do not watch girl school/magic girl type stuff so I cannot comment on those. Fate/Zero is also overrated in my books as well and Mawaru Penguindrum I watched the first six episodes only to completely forget about it. Haruhi I found, not great. The movie I really liked, however. Finally I do not like Neon Genesis Evangellion-at-all. And before someone says it: "you do not understand it/the protagonist"- I do understand it I just don't like it.

Also I should say I haven't watched Madoka yet, it's on my 'to watch list' though :). It is also possible that I may be getting too old for anime these days.
    Last edited by Rising Phoenix; 2012-11-17 at 12:55 PM.
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Titan in the Playground

I'll agree, there was great stuff in the last years. One might argue on what you consider great but for most genre there was something that has the chance to be considered a classic in ten or twenty years...

So, since someone revived the thread anyway, I was wondering... if anyone is following Girls und Panzer, how much are you troubled by the subbers in-jokes with the German words in the subs? Obviously I really don't have any problem with it but I was just curious.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Banned

Sounds like your big problem is that anime has mostly moved from centering on big concepts to being very character driven. I don't mind, I tend to end up rolling my eyes at the big concepts or get bored out of my mind by constant exposition or the author trying to show off how clever. Which is why I can't watch Ghost in the Shell anymore, the sheer unreality of how people talk is driving me crazy. However, if you want big, thought provoking concepts and depth then you are kinda out of luck, but that isn't really an issue of quality as much as taste.

I do, however, agree that Fate/Zero was hugely overrated and not just because of how offensive it was, though that was part of it too.
    Last edited by Terraoblivion; 2012-11-17 at 05:28 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Sounds like your big problem is that anime has mostly moved from centering on big concepts to being very character driven. I don't mind, I tend to end up rolling my eyes at the big concepts or get bored out of my mind by constant exposition or the author trying to show off how clever. Which is why I can't watch Ghost in the Shell anymore, the sheer unreality of how people talk is driving me crazy. However, if you want big, thought provoking concepts and depth then you are kinda out of luck, but that isn't really an issue of quality as much as taste.

I do, however, agree that Fate/Zero was hugely overrated and not just because of how offensive it was, though that was part of it too.
    I just finished watching Madoka... gods it was one of the most beautiful twisted tales I've ever seen and certainly restores faith in anime. Definitely the best show of 2012 for so far. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it was of magical genre, but that's really nit picking.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Barbarian in the Playground

2011, rather. Unless you watched the movies which are from this year.

Have you tried C: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control?

On the film side, how about Hoshi o Ou Kodomo (Children Who Chase Lost Voices From Deep Below)? It's Makoto Shinkai's latest film. I consider it to be very good, though a common complaint is that it's Shinkai trying too hard to be like Miyazaki.
    Thanks to Meirnon for the avatar
    One Punch-Man: I became the hero I had always dreamed of being. But how can it be that, even though I should be satisfied, I feel so empty?...
    Gag manga story by One, artwork by Murata Yusuke of Eyeshield 21 fame
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhere View Post
    2011, rather. Unless you watched the movies which are from this year.

Have you tried C: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control?

On the film side, how about Hoshi o Ou Kodomo (Children Who Chase Lost Voices From Deep Below)? It's Makoto Shinkai's latest film. I consider it to be very good, though a common complaint is that it's Shinkai trying too hard to be like Miyazaki.
    Seen C: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control. It had an interesting premise, but imo failed at execution.

I'll add the film to my watch list :)

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Banned

Madoka is indeed amazing. Just thinking about Homura's little prayer from near the end sends little shivers down my spine. In the end, I don't really think it is that twisted, though.

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Madoka is indeed amazing. Just thinking about Homura's little prayer from near the end sends little shivers down my spine. In the end, I don't really think it is that twisted, though.
    I think it is quite twisted

Spoiler
    Show
    Primarily because despite wishing for witches to cease to exist they just get replaced by something else... aka people still suffer.

Also Kyubei... though I don't think his twisted. Rather he is completely alien

Edit: On Hoshi o Ou Kodomo I did some research on it and I think that I will like it considering that Princess Mononoke is one of my favorite movies of all time.
    Last edited by Rising Phoenix; 2012-11-22 at 12:43 AM.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rising Phoenix View Post
    they just get replaced by something else... aka people still suffer.
    I kind of just assumed that was more a nod to the genre where new enemies always pop up once the first lot are gone.

I don't think people's suffering in this series was really due to the presence of enemies.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Ogre in the Playground

I kind of just assumed that was more a nod to the genre where new enemies always pop up once the first lot are gone.

I don't think people's suffering in this series was really due to the presence of enemies.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I more meant that despite the ultimate sacrifices there's no escape from the desperate cycle.

And I just saw Hoshi o Ou Kodomo. It certainly has certainly been inspired by Ghibli movies. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't a Ghibli either.
    Last edited by Rising Phoenix; 2012-11-23 at 12:47 PM.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler tags are your friend Rising Phoenix.

Also I'm pretty sure you misunderstood the ending if you think it ultimately changes nothing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Regardless of presence of Witches or Demons, people will still suffer because it's part of humanity. The worst tragedies aren't caused by either of them anyway but rather by humans themselves.

The thing that really changes is that people who form contracts with Kyubei aren't being cheated and turned into Witches anymore. The deal is finally fair.
    Also since it's no longer despair-driven there is no need for Kyubei to limit himself to adolescent girls as contract takers, and therefore more people can hunt Demons and retrieve energy needed for World Not To End (I Fail Physics).

By the way I was slightly irritated at the explanation of magical girls being chosen because "adolescent girls are most emotionally vulnerable!" Wouldn't be the first time Kyubei's race fails science though - see above.
    Last edited by tensai_oni; 2012-11-22 at 03:37 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1303
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tensai_oni View Post
    Spoiler tags are your friend Rising Phoenix.

Also I'm pretty sure you misunderstood the ending if you think it ultimately changes nothing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Regardless of presence of Witches or Demons, people will still suffer because it's part of humanity. The worst tragedies aren't caused by either of them anyway but rather by humans themselves.

The thing that really changes is that people who form contracts with Kyubei aren't being cheated and turned into Witches anymore. The deal is finally fair.
    Also since it's no longer despair-driven there is no need for Kyubei to limit himself to adolescent girls as contract takers, and therefore more people can hunt Demons and retrieve energy needed for World Not To End (I Fail Physics).

By the way I was slightly irritated at the explanation of magical girls being chosen because "adolescent girls are most emotionally vulnerable!" Wouldn't be the first time Kyubei's race fails science though - see above.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fair points, but still the need to replenish energy, because Kyubei's creators fail to understand thermodynamics, is still there. Hence the need for people to turn into magical girls/boys.

What I would consider the optimum solution to be would be that there is no longer a need to replenish the energy, hence no need for magical people, hence no need for these individuals to suffer. Perhaps Madoka should have wished for Kyubei's creators to understand how thermodynamics work...

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1304

For what it's worth, I'm surprised enough already that Urobuchi Gen decided to use the heat death of the universe at all, even if it's wrong.
    Besides, most Madoka viewers don't care much for that aspect. For example, at his Q&A session at Otakon this year, I don't recall anybody asking anything related to that or thermodynamics.
    One Punch-Man: I became the hero I had always dreamed of being. But how can it be that, even though I should be satisfied, I feel so empty?...
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1305
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhere View Post
    For what it's worth, I'm surprised enough already that Urobuchi Gen decided to use the heat death of the universe at all, even if it's wrong.
    Besides, most Madoka viewers don't care much for that aspect. For example, at his Q&A session at Otakon this year, I don't recall anybody asking anything related to that or thermodynamics.
    Meh, heat death is such a boring way to end the universe. Everyone knows that
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Gurren Lagann spoilers)
    Spoiler
    Show
    turning the universe into a giant black hole because your pure AWESOMENESS spontaneously creates a bunch of galaxies

is where it's at.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Titan in the Playground

So I am currently on episode 3 of the anime Another and I'm wondering... does it ever get less creepy? Some bits of the show intruigue me, but the overall vibe and the main female character's monotonity so far kind of disturb me.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Banned

No idea. I'm not a fan of horror so I never watched the show, sticking with the stuff Tatsuo Sato worked on for winter anime. Worked well enough for me.

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    So I am currently on episode 3 of the anime Another and I'm wondering... does it ever get less creepy? Some bits of the show intruigue me, but the overall vibe and the main female character's monotonity so far kind of disturb me.
    It gets more violent. Does that count?
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Titan in the Playground

Decided not to go further with Another and get on to other anime, some new, some I had put on hold before. I'm liking Psycho-Pass and Zetsuen no Tempest so far. I thought of also starting on K, but the first few minutes full of Engrish grated me severely, so by the time Japanese popped up, I decided to stop there for the moment. I might continue it later, but does it contain a lot of Engrish?

I also went back to The Legend of the Legendary Heroes and watched further (I had seen up to episode 18 or 19 like a year ago). Episode 22 and 23 were such a change from 21 I got thoroughly confused. Then suddenly
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sion tries to kill Ryner after all, after he's been going back and forth about it the whole time and everything seemed pretty good. I honestly don't get why he'd do that, since Ryner's track record is pretty good all things considered and got better and better as the series progressed.

I've yet to watch the final episode, but right now it's just one big WHAT. Also, isn't there a follow-up anime, OVA or movie coming out? I thought I'd seen that a while back in a list of upcoming stuff for this winter.

EDIT: Okay, seen episode 24 now, which clears things up a bit.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mainly that Sion loses his mind to the Black Hero and thus becomes an evil bastard who tries to take over the world with an army of... experimental undead construct soldiers of some sort. Though why the people under him would go along with that is beyond me, but I guess they just think "King's orders" and stop questioning.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2012-11-29 at 07:31 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Titan in the Playground

Hasn't Legend of the Legendary heroes aired years ago? It obviously needed another season but I thought it just didn't sell well enough and we were just left with half a story.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Titan in the Playground

I dunno when exactly it aired. I think I started watching around the time it came out. Either way, I distinctly remember something about a follow-up series and telling one of my friends about it. After I couldn't find proof of it again, I asked him about it and he told me that I did tell him that. Now I guess it's just waiting until January to see if it comes true (I think it was January 5th or 8th).

22. - Top - End - #1312

It aired in 2010.
    Anidb does not mention any followup series, and in the calendar for next January, I see nothing related to Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Titan in the Playground

There's now an early cut of AMV Hell 6 for download. It still is 82 minutes long and speaking from the first 20 minutes, it's as good as the previous ones. Intro is a bit too long.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

24. - Top - End - #1314

So. I happened across Evangelion 1.01 and 2.22 at my local Best Buy. Just finished watching 2.22.

Spoiler
    Show
    Did... Did Shinji just start Third Impact? I knew things were going wrong when Mari showed up, and then Asuka with Unit 03, but I didn't expect things to go this badly. I mean, he properly just wiped out a good portion of the Earth's population, didn't he?

Also, the moon has the blood from End of Evangelion. Between that, the oceans, and Kaworu's words at the very end of 2.22... I don't know. I'M JUST SO CONFUSED.
    Awesome Shiny Butterfree avatar by Terry576.

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfly View Post
    So. I happened across Evangelion 1.01 and 2.22 at my local Best Buy. Just finished watching 2.22.

Spoiler
    Show
    Did... Did Shinji just start Third Impact? I knew things were going wrong when Mari showed up, and then Asuka with Unit 03, but I didn't expect things to go this badly. I mean, he properly just wiped out a good portion of the Earth's population, didn't he?

Also, the moon has the blood from End of Evangelion. Between that, the oceans, and Kaworu's words at the very end of 2.22... I don't know. I'M JUST SO CONFUSED.
    Eva 2.22
    Spoiler
    Show
    Welcome to the club.
    Last edited by AlterForm; 2012-12-29 at 11:52 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1316

Quote Originally Posted by AlterForm View Post
    Eva 2.22
    Spoiler
    Show
    Welcome to the club.
    Eva 2.22
    Spoiler
    Show
    I thought it was supposed to be a less depressing retelling of the original series... ;_;

27. - Top - End - #1317
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Oh, man! Let me ask you. Would answering your question with a one-word yes or no be a spoiler?

Oh, well, I'm putting it into a spoiler anyway: Did Shinji really start Third Impact, and properly wipe out a good portion of the Earth's population?

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes.
    Last edited by 0Megabyte; 2012-12-30 at 09:06 AM.
    Assassin avatar by the awesome Elder Tsofu.

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Black Lagoon's manga is going to be returning from hiatus, so the anime should be as well. Thought people'd be interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

29. - Top - End - #1319

Quote Originally Posted by 0Megabyte View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Oh, man! Let me ask you. Would answering your question with a one-word yes or no be a spoiler?

Oh, well, I'm putting it into a spoiler anyway: Did Shinji really start Third Impact, and properly wipe out a good portion of the Earth's population?

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'd assumed that. I mean, Kaworu probably wouldn't have been able to stop it. Maybe with the Lance of Longinus, I guess? Probably not.

30. - Top - End - #1320
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'd assumed that. I mean, Kaworu probably wouldn't have been able to stop it. Maybe with the Lance of Longinus, I guess? Probably not.
    You did watch after the credits, right?
    Assassin avatar by the awesome Elder Tsofu.