New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: My Little Pony IX: The Best Thread Ever

Quote Originally Posted by EsperDerek View Post
    Ahh, there we go. Now, who wants some waffles?
    You know Orzel doesn't turn down food.
    'cept Cakes.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

2. - Top - End - #842
    Titan in the Playground

So the thread is completely silent for the whole day, but then we manage to make a page and a bit in an hour? Man, we have weird posting habits.

Going on vacation next week, really hope I can get the internet working there. I am NOT looking forward to attempting to trawl through the 50+ some odd pages I know this thread can churn out in a week.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Troll in the Playground

More win.

Spoiler
    Show

Edit: I would totally do that to one of my students if they turned in a lab report like that...
    Last edited by the_druid_droid; 2011-06-04 at 08:56 PM.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

4. - Top - End - #844
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    More win.

Spoiler
    Show

Edit: I would totally do that to one of my students if they turned in a lab report like that...
    There is so much excellence right there.
    Protect Humanity
    Enslave the gods

5. - Top - End - #845
    Ettin in the Playground

More win.

Spoiler
    Show

Dude, that is win. Now I'm tempted to attach that intro to my reports just to test whether my lecturers are closet bronies or not.

6. - Top - End - #846
    Ogre in the Playground

More win.

Spoiler
    Show

That is probably the greatest win I've seen all week.

7. - Top - End - #847
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeadManSleeping View Post
    I knew I couldn't be the only one who made that association. Leap of Faith kinda loses its effect if you can fly, though.
    Accidentally closed the tab where I was quoting where you first posted it, but I finally got around to reading Old Mare's Tale 5.

Spoiler
    Show
    I didn't encounter any spelling or grammar mistakes that were obvious enough for me to pick up on them in the first read through. So...good job with that.

I'm finding myself thinking that the chapters are too short, I want more. I want to see you collapse them into 2-3 as opposed to a full 5. So I recommend you keep them exactly the length that they are. They're short enough to not be imposing to new readers and keep established ones coming back, without being so short as to obviously expose this fact.

I also loved this bit:
    " .. His wing will heal properly, they think, but they had to re-break it. I got there just in time for the procedure. It…if I didn't know they were healing him-"
    That's good body horror. 110% demonstration of Show Don't Tell. And then a bit further -- you touched on how horror is tremendously more effective when you let the audience scare themselves. I had to stop a moment and shiver as my stomach turned over when I subconsciously tried to imagine the scene. Well done.

[EDIT]: Oh, and if you haven't already, I, for one, think the story is ready for submission to ED if you were considering that.
    Last edited by AlterForm; 2011-06-04 at 09:20 PM.

8. - Top - End - #848
    Banned

I've written a report on how my English teacher doesn't actually read the reports that he grades. The T.A. Put it through out of a sense of malice, and I got a A+.

Of course, I also received a personal letter at the end of term saying "cute joke, well written, graded on technical skill. Don't bitethe hand that feeds you though, I doubt other teachers will be as lenient." so I guess I learned a valuable lesson about humility, there.

Kyuubi. Your avatar is weird. Where are your arms? I cannot see them. It is freaking me out. Just as much as when I double take, realizing your shadow is not a shadow, but a sword.

DBC, good to hear. I was honestly worried that I lost the conclusion in the shuffle. That would make me sad.

Amish Party1, I " Know that feel, Bro " as the cool cats say (cats are still cool, right?). I'll write you out a synopsis if you can't get on the Grid over vacation. Sun and Moon, I'll even try toget Thanqol to do a video of it!

Thanqol, you can come down from the moon now. No one but myself (and possibly yourself) recalls why you are there anyway. Consider it parole for good behavior.

Pony thread in general, I am going to be working on language learning soon. I will choose either Irish or Scottish based on which one would sound cooler being thrown around in a table-top game (or would make a good dramatic curse in movies like LotR or Hot Fuzz). It will be leanred alongside Russian, so I have half my bases covered.

Which of the two do you suggest, O pony thread?

1:Welf quoted you as "Amish Pirtae" once, and I've been waiting to call you Amish Party ever since :D
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2011-06-04 at 09:46 PM.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

Kyuubi. Your avatar is weird. Where are your arms? I cannot see them. It is freaking me out. Just as much as when I double take, realizing your shadow is not a shadow, but a sword.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    Psh. If that's not Alternate Form abuse, I don't know what is.
    *whistles innocently*

11. - Top - End - #851
    Titan in the Playground

Amish Party1, I " Know that feel, Bro " as the cool cats say (cats are still cool, right?). I'll write you out a synopsis if you can't get on the Grid over vacation. Sun and Moon, I'll even try toget Thanqol to do a video of it!

Pony thread in general, I am going to be working on language learning soon. I will choose either Irish or Scottish based on which one would sound cooler being thrown around in a table-top game (or would make a good dramatic curse in movies like LotR or Hot Fuzz). It will be leanred alongside Russian, so I have half my bases covered.

Which of the two do you suggest, O pony thread?
    Thanks, though I shudder to think of a video representation of this thread would look like.

Well, you've already made one of the best choices by picking Russian. You know your language is awesome when one of the hardest words to pronounce/spell is "Hello" and one of your characters looks like the Enterprise.

As for your other choice, I'd be leaning towards Scottish. After listening to the two, it sounds better suited for what you have in mind, IMO.

RE: Amish Party

Spoiler
    Show
    ...I'm okay with this.
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2011-06-04 at 09:57 PM.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Titan in the Playground

Psh. If that's not Alternate Form abuse, I don't know what is.
    *whistles innocently*

I am a Greater Deity Silver Dragon with levels in every D&D 3.5 class, 1st party or homebrew regardless of whether I should qualify or it makes sense or not.

Alternate form abuse isn't what you should be calling me out on.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2011-06-04 at 09:44 PM.

13. - Top - End - #853
    Barbarian in the Playground

In response to the Re!Pony series of pictures you are working on:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    By all means if you have any ideas on how to improve these feel free to speak up. I'm not an artist and if there's a better way for me to do something I'm more than happy to try it.
    A suggestion if I may?

You agree that the Trixie as Amber worked so well because of the addition of her bodyguards, it is possible you may not be placing the rest of the characters far enough into the Repo! world in general.

Like with Amber's bodyguards, I might have known AJ was Rotti if she were, say, sitting behind a desk with gold on it, or handing an Pony Intern a posion bottle, or had the blue-lipped, shotgun totting bodyguards (don't ask me how that would have worked: that's your job to figure out ).

Am I making any sense?
    Last edited by Brazen Shield; 2011-06-04 at 09:46 PM.

14. - Top - End - #854

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Well, you've already made one of the best choices by picking Russian. You know your language is awesome when one of the hardest words to pronounce/spell is "Hello" and one of your characters looks like the Enterprise.
    Ô.Ô
    *scrambles to get the Russian-English dictionary off the nearby shelf*
    Oh my...

15. - Top - End - #855
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    I am a Greater Deity Silver Dragon with levels in every D&D 3.5 class, 1st party or homebrew regardless of whether I should qualify or it makes sense or not.

Alternate form abuse isn't what you should be calling me out on.
    It is not proper form to rib ones peers (or superiors!) for performing acts of sanity decimation when one may or may not themselves then be called out for the same or worse.
    Though I don't touch psionics past the 2ed era. Dirty, dirty disciplines, not worth my time.
    is that a Hylian shield I see there? Where did you come by such a curio, pray?

16. - Top - End - #856
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brazen Shield View Post
    In response to the Re!Pony series of pictures you are working on:

A suggestion if I may?

You agree that the Trixie as Amber worked so well because of the addition of her bodyguards, it is possible you may not be placing the rest of the characters far enough into the Repo! world in general.

Like with Amber's bodyguards, I might have known AJ was Rotti if she were, say, sitting behind a desk with gold on it, or handing an Pony Intern a posion bottle, or had the blue-lipped, shotgun totting bodyguards (don't ask me how that would have worked: that's your job to figure out ).

Am I making any sense?
    Yeah, it makes sense. The thing is though I'm putting all of these into a single combined picture. I was just putting up the individual ponies as I got through them. So I'd have to take away the desk and whatnot as soon as I got to that point anyway.

I might end up taking out Snips and Snails if I can't get them to fit. Hopefully not though, they amuse me where they are.

That said, almost done! Wooo!

17. - Top - End - #857
    Titan in the Playground

Ô.Ô
    Oh my...
    What's that? You like consonants? Five of them in a row? Vowels are for wimps?

And to keep this sorta pony-related, have a Luna:

Spoiler
    Show

EDIT: The pink one appreciating the language's rich cultural history:

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2011-06-04 at 10:04 PM.

18. - Top - End - #858
    Ettin in the Playground

one of your characters looks like the Enterprise.
    Ô.Ô
    Oh my...
    What is seen cannot be unseen...

I'll never look at Russian the same way again.

19. - Top - End - #859
    Titan in the Playground

is that a Hylian shield I see there? Where did you come by such a curio, pray?
    I got it from a dungeon in Hyrule. Some hero had left it behind at some point. I also found this awesome sword here.

20. - Top - End - #860
    Banned

What's that? You like consonants? Five of them in a row? Vowels are for wimps?

And to keep this sorta pony-related, have a Luna:

Spoiler
    Show
    Hm. A language so ... Something that it ties the tongue in knots. And what's this?

>Rarity and Luna

there's our bondage joke for this page. Goodnight everypony!

21. - Top - End - #861

Yeah, it makes sense. The thing is though I'm putting all of these into a single combined picture. I was just putting up the individual ponies as I got through them. So I'd have to take away the desk and whatnot as soon as I got to that point anyway.
    Oh! This I did not know! One large picture should take away most of the confustion with the smaller ones, yes, yes!

That said, almost done! Wooo!
    Yay!!

22. - Top - End - #862
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AlterForm View Post
    Accidentally closed the tab where I was quoting where you first posted it, but I finally got around to reading Old Mare's Tale 5.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm finding myself thinking that the chapters are too short, I want more. I want to see you collapse them into 2-3 as opposed to a full 5. So I recommend you keep them exactly the length that they are. They're short enough to not be imposing to new readers and keep established ones coming back, without being so short as to obviously expose this fact.

I also loved this bit: [wing stuff]

That's good body horror. 110% demonstration of Show Don't Tell. And then a bit further -- you touched on how horror is tremendously more effective when you let the audience scare themselves. I had to stop a moment and shiver as my stomach turned over when I subconsciously tried to imagine the scene. Well done.

[EDIT]: Oh, and if you haven't already, I, for one, think the story is ready for submission to ED if you were considering that.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's interesting that you mention chapter length, because I very much rely on intuition for that. They end when I feel like I should save the next scene for the next chapter. I don't know any better system for it, so I can't guarantee that

There won't be much horror in this fic, but I will sprinkle it here and there, so I'm glad that it's effective (and you don't even have wings probably!). This particular bit is something that has a lot of story importance, so the more emotional impact it has, the happier I am.

23. - Top - End - #863
    Titan in the Playground

Hm. A language so ... Something that it ties the tongue in knots. And what's this?

>Rarity and Luna

there's our bondage joke for this page. Goodnight everypony!
    ...confound these ponies, they drive me to unintentionally self-sabotage my efforts to keep this thread rope-free.

24. - Top - End - #864
    Ogre in the Playground

What's you favourite thing about ponies?

Mine is ponies.
    Steamname: Atheist God, if you're lucky.

25. - Top - End - #865
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jahkaivah View Post

Mine is ponies.
    I dunno, man, I'm in it for ponies.
    Last edited by AlterForm; 2011-06-04 at 10:11 PM.

26. - Top - End - #866
    Ettin in the Playground

Mine is ponies.
    Candy-coloured ponies obviously.

27. - Top - End - #867
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    ...How I want to respond to that about right now is to develop Mass Bondage spell for neighsayers

Except the ropes will be made from broken glass and hedgehogs something not nice. I'll save the soft ones for those who did not offended G&P Trixie, thank you :P
    Broken glass and hedgehogs? How did you know!?

Finally got around to reading Chapter 4. Thoughts below:

Spoiler
    Show
    *Blueblood turns out to be a jerk*
    -A SHOCKING TWIST

"My mind stumbled, I lost control of my legs and I tripped and fell on my face in an act of supreme clumsiness."
    -I think there's supposed to be a comma after "tripped". Top of Page 2.

"Until then I had held a private belief that she was all hat and no kettle."
    -I don't really understand what you mean by the "no kettle" bit. Perhaps it's off of a phrase I don't hear very often. Top of Page 2

"The tracks were old, I liked to guess at a week but to be honest that had no grounding in any knowledge of mine."
    -There needs to be a semicolon after "old", or at least a comma after "week" Page 3.

"by almost any standard, being kissed romantically by the handsomest stallion in Equestria, in the wilderness, would seem a good way to spend an afternoon"
    -Something about the "in the wilderness" line feels off. Maybe change it to "alone in the wilderness"? Sorry I can't be more specific. I can't place my finger on why it stands out. Page 4

Overall thoughts: Another solid chapter. Keep up the good work!

Style-wise, I'd watch out for sentences that run on for too long. I know that the style you're writing in tends to have long, descriptive sentences, but just be careful to keep them from getting too long.

Spoiler
    Show
    My understanding if a sentence goes like this:

"Twilight put her left hoof in, took her left hoof out, put her left hoof in, and she shook it all about."

There is no need for the highlighted comma. In other words, you never need a comma before 'and'. I'm not sure if it's different globally or if I'm just doing it wrong since forever, but it's all I know!

"All hat and no kettle" was how Applejack described Trixie in Boast Busters. Now that I think about it, Applejack probably said "Cattle" and I misheard it.

Other stuff is helpful, thanks man!

Thanqol, you can come down from the moon now. No one but myself (and possibly yourself) recalls why you are there anyway. Consider it parole for good behavior.
    Nah. I reckon I've found some good company up here *Hugs Luna*.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-06-04 at 10:19 PM.

28. - Top - End - #868

Mine is ponies.
    I was unceremoniously plucked from my lonely bed and dragged, thrashing, down the brightly lit hallway of friendship by a fan of this series.

Now I like it for the ponies.

29. - Top - End - #869
    Banned

I was unceremoniously plucked from my lonely bed and dragged, thrashing, down the brightly lit hallway of friendship by a fan of this series.

Now I like it for the ponies.
    Gracious! It sounds positively beastly when you put it that way.

30. - Top - End - #870
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    My understanding if a sentence goes like this:

"Twilight put her left hoof in, took her left hoof out, put her left hoof in, and she shook it all about."

There is no need for the highlighted comma. In other words, you never need a comma before 'and'. I'm not sure if it's different globally or if I'm just doing it wrong since forever, but it's all I know!
    Actually, yes you do. A comma comes before and when in the context of a list, which is what that is. It is also used to indicate a short break in a sentence, which is required there (:

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Your quotes rawk.