New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Question Badgering the Gods

Give me my spells or I'll bite your divine ass!
    -The Badger Cleric

I've been reading a lot of work on mythology and religion lately, and one character archetype comes up every once in a while that I'd like to turn into a 3.5e character. Basically, the character has a patron deity, spirit, or totem. But they don't get along very well, generally because the deity is a Lawful Stupid type (maybe even leaning toward Lawful Evil) and the character is both more Good and more reasonable and flexible. Even though the character is often appalled by his deity's commands, he has been made an instrument of His/Her will.

The character isn't powerless against the deity, however. He tries, and sometimes succeeds, in changing the deity's mind by attempting to be the deity's "conscience," always arguing to save people, be kind, etc. even when it would set back the deity's agenda.

So, what kind of deity would tolerate this kind of follower? And what would this character be? I was thinking a Favored Soul, but the alignment requirement is a bit of a problem (within one step from the deity). Is there any other class that might fit this fluff?
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Badgering the Gods

So basically Brutha from Small Gods, but actually with divine power? Ur-Priest would work with a slight refluff, I think.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

If you were lawful good I could see St. Cuthbert putting up with one of his clerics being kinder and less strict than he is, but of course you'd have to be pretty high level for him to bother with you that much.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think any divine casting class would work, so long as you talk the concept out with your DM and they agree to it.

If the DM isn't flexible about it, though ... Ur-Priest could work, I suppose. Favoured Soul could work if say the deity is Lawful Neutral and the character is Lawful Good (but more flexible), for instance. The whole 'chosen to be the instrument of his will' part would generally seem to be more in line with the Favoured Soul to me.

You could probably come up with a reason for most deities to tolerate them - particularly the practical sorts, if they want something out of the character. Certainly I would think that any who have anything towards freedom or free will might be more likely to tolerate such things, or perhaps there could be some sort of grand fate/prophecy deal at work.