New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Banned

Default Re: Magic the Gathering X: Deal X damage to target thread.

Quote Originally Posted by HokusSchmokus View Post
    The amazing red deck also needs a playset of Basilisk Collar.
    So this is my first post in the forums and I haven't read the other MtG threads but I was wondering if it's just a coincidence that Standard is the only format being talked about.
    It's the most popular format by far... and this isn't me just talking out my bumhole. The vast majority of FNMs are either limited or standard. Most PTQs are limited or standard. Most PTs are limited or standard. Most people build standard decks if they want to play in a sanctioned event.

Plus there was a huge standard shakeup...

It's not the only format talked about but it is by far the most popular format and as such it generally takes up most of our discussion

P.S....

Spoiler
    Show
    http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/official-m12-preview-card-visions-of-beyond/ JACE JUST GOT A LOT BETTER.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

Because you have to run another bad card to make a bad card playable, it doesn't mean it's good.

To be honest, based on what I've seen of M12, I see nothing that interests me. Overall, looks like there's much more useless chaff than usual.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinizer View Post
    Because you have to run another bad card to make a bad card playable, it doesn't mean it's good.
    LOL.

In a graveyard set or a U/G mill build that card is absurd. Milling yourself for 20 is pretty awesome when you get your vengevines back and then drawing all your threats and answers is awesome.

Or using fetchlands to build your graveyard and playing an aggro/control u/w build against u/b removal.

Even as a cycler it's pretty solid.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

20 cards is rather hard to fill even with fetchlands. I've played UG Madness and Threshold decks, 20 cards came into play in the very late game.

As for milling yourself. A: card disadvantage, B: Dead draws, C: Useless unless you're actually drawing a 4-of. More of then that not, your'e not getting much out of it.

I doubt they'll reprint Life from the Loam and the cycling lands. Those are the few times it might actually work out.

As for grave decks outside of T2. Modern islacking most cards to make this work. In Legacy, Dredge has Breakthrough which is superior. In the end, I'm just not impressed by the card.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

The card is the kind of card that says "We're trying to make people play Mill!" It's not the right kind of card, but still. I also appreciate that there's gonna be Flashback cards, so you might want to load up your own graveyard in the next Standard environment a little bit.

And actually, if you're spending no resources to do it, milling yourself is actually not card disadvantage at all. Milling other people is, though. The biggest problem with mill in general is that it's just worse than playing creatures and attacking people with them. Maybe they'll fix that.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

6. - Top - End - #306
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I think it may see some experimental play in control before people can quantify how good it ACTUALLY is.

I agree, it's nowhere near as good as it should be if they want people to play mill, and it's not going in the right direction to make it worth it, but it may have some use-it's instant speed card draw, after all.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duos View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think it may see some experimental play in control before people can quantify how good it ACTUALLY is.

I agree, it's nowhere near as good as it should be if they want people to play mill, and it's not going in the right direction to make it worth it, but it may have some use-it's instant speed card draw, after all.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It is the kind of card I want to see at $2 so I can buy several of them in the hopes that they find a home somewhere. I'm still thinking "You know, maybe there's a good way to use Mill-like strategies." We've got some pretty awesome cards available if all you want to do is totally destroy someone's deck (Memoricide, Surgical Extraction, this goofy card) and some pretty good options if you just want cards in their graveyard (New Jace and his Archivist are decent, there's always Archive Trap and Hedron Crab). Maybe we'll see mill have some time to be good. But probably not with Bloodthirst as the Core Set mechanic.

Bloodthirst is cool, but all it makes me think is "It's Aggro season" because Bloodthirst cards are pretty much only good in Aggro or Mid-rangey strategies. They're bad for Control and it's improbable you can use them in any strategy that isn't about playing creatures and attacking with them consistently.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

M12
    Spoiler
    Show
    As the preview article said, self milling is probably the way to go. As it stands right now, a vengevine strategy could fill the graveyard fairly swiftly, and just having a cycler would be ok for the deck. What I'm interested in is seeing how much more support milling will get from M12.

You know what has surprised me so far? Overrun is back, and back at Uncommon. I thought it was replaced with Overwhelming Stampede because having it at uncommon was just too nuts for draft?

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    M12
    Spoiler
    Show
    As the preview article said, self milling is probably the way to go. As it stands right now, a vengevine strategy could fill the graveyard fairly swiftly, and just having a cycler would be ok for the deck. What I'm interested in is seeing how much more support milling will get from M12.

You know what has surprised me so far? Overrun is back, and back at Uncommon. I thought it was replaced with Overwhelming Stampede because having it at uncommon was just too nuts for draft?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bloodthirst makes having aggro cards like Overrun more likeable in Limited? I dunno.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    There was a big discussion about it on Twitter yesterday. Basically Green was underpowered in draft, so rather than giving Green good creatures in a core set for once (Seriously, look at Azure Drake vs. Giant spider in M11. Blue, the color with supposedly the worst creatures, got a better creature at the same cost and rarity than Green, the color that's supposed to have the best creatures. It's pathetic that every single Core set Green has worse creatures than both W and U) and letting Green win through Green's strengths, they decided to give the color an uninteractive "oops I guess I win" bomb at uncommon to make up for it.

(If you can't tell I loathe uncommon Overrun and the way Green is featured in the Core Set)

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

"The mono-green plan" used to be a super-awesome Core Set draft strategy. That said, every time I did it, I opened the most ridiculous bombs... Howl of the Night Pack x2, boo ya.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2011-06-28 at 12:37 PM.

12. - Top - End - #312

BarbarianGuy

Green has had some good bombs. I just wish it weren't so reliant on them. It needs 3ish ahead of the curve creatures at common so that it's actually good at what it's supposed to be good at. In both M10 and M11 it had 0.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

It used to be good without the broken bombs. It so happened that when I drafted it I always had multiple bombs (Howl is so broken) but you shouldn't need them. But yeah, M11 Mono-Green was pretty damn awful.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

Ha! I found one! Monowhite does have an answer to DecieverTwin! Said answer is technically available to all colors, but it's naturally White.

I speak, of course, of Norn's Annex.

The annex can be played turn 3, before even a DecieverTwin Godhand is able to run, and makes the combo unusable. Paying 2 life to attack with a 1 power creature is not a good plan.

Both Blue and Red are just about devoid of Enchantment removal in Standard, meaning that it has no real answer unless splashing Green or White.

This means that a monowhite deck has a powerful option in the new metagame, especially combined with Suture Priest. Is it enough to be playable? Maybe. But it's something.
    Extended Signature

Óla tha eínai éna.

Avatar by Dorian Soth Thormag. Thanks a bunch.

15. - Top - End - #315

Quote Originally Posted by BladeofOblivion View Post
    Ha! I found one! Monowhite does have an answer to DecieverTwin! Said answer is technically available to all colors, but it's naturally White.

I speak, of course, of Norn's Annex.

The annex can be played turn 3, before even a DecieverTwin Godhand is able to run, and makes the combo unusable. Paying 2 life to attack with a 1 power creature is not a good plan.

Both Blue and Red are just about devoid of Enchantment removal in Standard, meaning that it has no real answer unless splashing Green or White.

This means that a monowhite deck has a powerful option in the new metagame, especially combined with Suture Priest. Is it enough to be playable? Maybe. But it's something.
    Crush is Red artifact removal, as a one drop. Only affects non-creatures, so it's not gonna be seen often but if the Annex becomes popular I wouldn't bet against Crush being a common sideboard. This is coming from someone with no tournament experience but for local drafts, so YMMV.

Edit: And I just looked at a Deciever Twin decklist, it included Into the Roil and Duress, either of which would put a stop to your counter. You might slow it down by a turn, maybe even make it vulnerable to Sorcery-speed removal, but it's not as guaranteed as I think it probably should be.
    Last edited by ScionoftheVoid; 2011-06-29 at 07:03 AM.

16. - Top - End - #316

Yeah, also, with m12 Beleren will be no longer in standard and he is a very important part of my U/B infect deck....so I was thinking about perhaps trying a Mono B Infect control tactic instead...here's VERY rough idea of what it may look like..

Spoiler
    Show

Lands:
    4x Inkmoth Nexus
    20x Swamp

Creatures:
    2x Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon
    2x Phyrexian Vatmother
    4x Phyrexian Crusader
    4x Necropede

Sorceries/Instants:
    3x Despise
    2x Duress
    3x Dismember
    3x Go for the Throat
    2x Sign in Blood
    2x Tezzeret's Gambit

Artifacts:
    3x Lashwrithe
    3x Tumble Magnet
    3x Contagion Clasp

Sideboard:
    2x Black Sun's Zenith
    4x Surgical Extraction
    2x Duress
    1x Despise
    1x Dismember
    1x Go for the Throat
    ????

That's, as you can see, an extremely rough draft, but would Mono B Infect control be viable? If so, do any of you have any fix ideas for that list?
    Last edited by Maho-Tsukai; 2011-06-29 at 09:34 AM.
    Awesome evil Necro-Cleric Avatar created by Ceika

In D&D I am a..

Spoiler
    Show
    Level 3 Lawful Evil Half-Elf Cleric with the following ability scores...

Strength- 11
    Dexterity- 13
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 17
    Charisma- 16

To find out your D&D self take this quiz today!

17. - Top - End - #317

I don't think anything is rotating out until the set after M12.
    "You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
    "No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5] Mana Mage

18. - Top - End - #318

So M11 will remain in standard even with M12 out? I see, in that case I can still use U/B Infect with my Belerens though I wonder if Mono B would be better then U/B for me due to the fact I can't afford Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas and most U/B Infect builds I am seeing now all seem to be based on Tez...
    Last edited by Maho-Tsukai; 2011-06-29 at 09:33 AM.

In D&D I am a..

Spoiler
    Show

Strength- 11
    Dexterity- 13
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 17
    Charisma- 16

19. - Top - End - #319
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maho-Tsukai View Post
    So M11 will remain in standard even with M12 out? I see, in that case I can still use U/B Infect with my Belerens though I wonder if Mono B would be better then U/B for me due to the fact I can't afford Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas and most U/B Infect builds I am seeing now all seem to be based on Tez...
    No, it still rotates out, I think. Only one core set, two non-core sets in standard. Hence why the reprints of the titans was a big deal; it means they stay in standard. It's also why printing shock was a big let-down for red decks; it means that lightning bolt is rotating out.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

M11 rotates in October, along with Zen-block, when Innistrad comes out. For a couple months M11 and M12 will both be legal at the same time.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

21. - Top - End - #321

Yeah, though with U/B Infect builds they all seem to be going in a Tez focused direction post ban, and I can't afford Tez. Hence why I may move to mono B Infect before Beleren rotates out to get some more pratice with it because it WILL be the deck I will be playing in october when rotation happens. (not a fan of aggro decks and won't shell out the cash for Tez and/or titans...)...

So, could anybody give me any ideas to fix the rough Mono B infect build I posted above?
    Last edited by Maho-Tsukai; 2011-06-29 at 10:46 AM.

In D&D I am a..

Spoiler
    Show

Strength- 11
    Dexterity- 13
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 17
    Charisma- 16

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by ScionoftheVoid View Post
    Crush is Red artifact removal, as a one drop. Only affects non-creatures, so it's not gonna be seen often but if the Annex becomes popular I wouldn't bet against Crush being a common sideboard. This is coming from someone with no tournament experience but for local drafts, so YMMV.

Edit: And I just looked at a Deciever Twin decklist, it included Into the Roil and Duress, either of which would put a stop to your counter. You might slow it down by a turn, maybe even make it vulnerable to Sorcery-speed removal, but it's not as guaranteed as I think it probably should be.
    Crush can't hit enchantments. Red doesn't touch enchantments. EVER.

And to confirm, yes, M11 will be in standard after M12 is released. Since last year, core sets rotate out with their accompanying block (So M10 rotated out with Alara, and M11 will rotate out with Zendikar)
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Actually, it was because I forgot to check the card and thought Norn's Annex was an enchantment.
    Extended Signature

Óla tha eínai éna.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post

And to confirm, yes, M11 will be in standard after M12 is released. Since last year, core sets rotate out with their accompanying block (So M10 rotated out with Alara, and M11 will rotate out with Zendikar)
    Actuslly, it can destroy blue enchantments.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

25. - Top - End - #325

Actually, it was because I forgot to check the card and thought Norn's Annex was an enchantment.
    Have made the same mistake myself, before. It really does seem like one.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ScionoftheVoid View Post
    Have made the same mistake myself, before. It really does seem like one.
    Now that I think about it, Ghostly Prison would stop DecieverTwin cold...

And it's been conveniently reprinted in MtG: Commander!
    Extended Signature

Óla tha eínai éna.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Now that I think about it, Ghostly Prison would stop DecieverTwin cold...

And it's been conveniently reprinted in MtG: Commander!
    Now if only commander was standard legal
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Now if only commander was standard legal
    I know, I know.

A man can dream.
    Extended Signature

Óla tha eínai éna.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

So I just finished The Thran.
    Spoilered concerning story.
    Spoiler
    Show

Yawgmoth is a jerk.
    Poor Glacian....
    Poor Rebbec...

Must read more!
    Last edited by Eon; 2011-06-29 at 10:49 PM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Look apon me, mighty Posid-Eon, ruler of the waves and saviour of people. Watch as I stumble about on dry land humoursly, AND TREMBLE!

<3

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bandil View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Yawgmoth is a jerk.
    Spoiler
    Show

Really? I...I didn't know!
    Extended Signature

Óla tha eínai éna.