New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Question Character Aversion.

So came across a conundrum that a former PC of mine asked me about, so seeing as i didn't know the answer Ive decided to come here and figure it out.

In a campaign where a PC see's his only option in a situation to be "I stab." what are some spells, creatures, so on, That force a PC to do something OTHER than just stabby stabby cut cut.

For instance, the Backbiter spell, when cast on a players weapon it makes them think twice about going to attack because its going to come right back and hit them. Any other spells or things that have this similar effect would be greatly appreciated.

And just for the record, before i get that foreboding Hate reply of "Oh you just hate the PC that enjoys combat" this is not in any way shape or form a type of punishment or torture. The PC himself said he would like to see some situations where he cannot use his normal go to strategy. He would like to build some depth to his character and branch out into other aspects of the DND world.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Character Aversion.

Try talking to the player in person, that often helps.

You have probably tried this already, but for the record, make sure they have other options other than 'stabby stabby'. Sometimes that is all a character can do.
    Normal avatar by Qwernt, ponytar by Akrim.elf and squishydoll by Recaiden. Thanks guys!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

A few ideas:

1. Take away their weapon for a little bit.

2. Give them a puzzle or riddle that can't be completed with stabs.

3. Have them interact with a creature that's too powerful to kill that they need something from (I had a fun time when I said my players needed the scale of a black dragon as part of a spell. They were way too weak to fight it, but they were able to trade services with it for the item).

4. Put them in a lawful or good place where fighting isn't allowed. If they try to solve the problem with stabs, the law should punish them accordingly.

5. Put them in some kind of mystical environment (an illusion, dream, plane of existence) where they are out of their bodies or the rules of physics work differently.

6. Put them against enemies who can't get stabbed (flying, incorporeal, fast healing, tough hide, etc.) so they have to be overcome in some other way.

7. Put them against enemies they potentially might agree with, and have to interact with to make an informed decision. Make some enemies neutral or good. If you players just haul off and kill them, they're potentially doing more harm than good. Good people disagree all the time about what is right. (E.G. LN Mayor asks the heroes to kill the CG Bandit of the Lost Woods because he's been robbing travelers and helping his allies escape from prison, protesting the corruption in the mayor's office).

8. Disable their characters with blindness, disease, ability damage, curses, etc. so that they have to solve their problems another way.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

The backbiter idea is good, but also a flying mob, or you could use a natural barrier of some sort, such as a river to keep him from automatically running into the fray.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Delcor View Post
    The backbiter idea is good, but also a flying mob, or you could use a natural barrier of some sort, such as a river to keep him from automatically running into the fray.
    Definitely. Terrain can completely alter an encounter. If possible, put the PCs against enemies who grapple, trip, bull rush, sunder, etc. and make interesting use of their surroundings.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Throw non-combat encounters at them. Don't give him anyone to stab. Make sure that he still has a way to contribute and be useful, of course, but don't give him any targets that can really be stabbed.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~