New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Default Caster level question

Hello fellow playgrounders, I don't know why I can't wrap my brain around the correctness of caster level.

Example: A 1st level Cleric. Race is Illumian with 2 sigils Krau and whatever. Krau adds +1 to caster level. Now if you take the Enhanced Power Sigil feat it doubles the power of your sigils to +2 caster level.

Now, my question is...if you are a level 1 cleric, then you only can cast level 1 spells but as a 3rd level cleric? Or can you now cast level 2 spells? If I am reading it correctly, you can only cast the spells that you have access to but at a higher level. So no level 2 spells until you hit PC level 3. Right? Forgive me if this sounds very silly to you guys but I just want to be sure I have the rule right before I allow a player to do something like this. And I am only allowing it because the group is small. Only 3 players and no DMPC's. The extra few HP's from heals and other buffs the player is looking to do would help out for the game (and PC's) to survive.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Caster level question

You are correct in that he casts it at a higher level, and does not gain access to the higher level's spells.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Thanks I just needed confirmation that I had it right

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

IS: Krau adds 1 to the spell's effective level, actually. This is not the same as the cleric's own caster level; it's more akin to the Heighten Spell feat.

What this means is that an Illumian Cleric with IS: Krau can cast a first-level spell as though it were second-level. This is typically used to enter prestige classes early.

EDIT: Ninja'ed, but with less detail.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2011-06-17 at 03:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, "caster level" is the trait that determines level-based variables of individual spells and such. Taking a level of a class that grants spellcasting gives you a caster level, but having an effect that increases your caster level does not mean you gain all the benefits associated with gaining additional levels in the spellcasting class.
    So for example, a level 1 Cleric with a caster level of 2 would use the same spells per day table as a Cleric with a caster level of 1, but a Shield of Faith spell cast by the first Cleric would last twice as long as the one cast by the second.

Also, note that the Krau sigil can not increase anyone's caster level above its HD. It is generally only useful for multiclass spellcasters, or "half-casters" who don't have a caster level equal to their class level (like Paladins).

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    IS: Krau adds 1 to the spell's effective level, actually. This is not the same as the cleric's own caster level; it's more akin to the Heighten Spell feat.
    It's not Improved Sigil (Krau) feat that is being mentioned, I think it's the Enhanced Power Sigils feat.
    Last edited by Ernir; 2011-06-17 at 04:00 PM.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Ernir View Post
    It's not Improved Sigil (Krau) feat that is being mentioned, I think it's the Enhanced Power Sigils feat.
    That is correct. The player wants to give this a try because of the PrC that he wants to try out and the first level of the PrC doesn't include a +1 CL bonus. That begins @ the 2nd level of the PrC. This won't come into play until 6th level so his plans may change at that point.