New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XI: "Mmph!"

I don't know about you guys, but I watch this show for the plot.

Spoiler
    Show

Yep, just the plot.

*Whistles innocently*
    "Why is it that we receive a penny for our thoughts, but have to put in our 2 cents?"

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

Fluttershy in the Playground - third place

2. - Top - End - #572
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Well it seems a thing to have PONY BUTT covered by tail to try and avoid that kind of stuff.

WHY ARE WE YELLING ABOUT WHO IS YELLING ABOUT PONY BUTT?
    I DON'T KNOW, THE TOPIC OF PONY BUTT CAME UP AND I JUST STARTED YELLING

dat plot

3. - Top - End - #573
    Ettin in the Playground

Last edited by Grif; 2011-06-21 at 12:37 AM.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I think we should switch to our indoor voices, now, before we scare Fluttershy. As a change of topic, which mythological figure do you think Derpy would relate to? I'm already knee deep in the next chapter of my Persona fanfic, but I'd like your thoughts on this.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    -snip-
    Don't worry Fluttershy! We're only talking about everyone's plots!

6. - Top - End - #576
    Troll in the Playground

That's our pony thread!

It's the Pony Thread!
    Pony Thread!
    You never really know what it's gonna do next
    It's the Pony Thread!
    Pony Thread!
    Giggidy Giggidy Giggidy Giggidy, there's subtext!
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

7. - Top - End - #577
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    Don't worry Fluttershy! We're only talking about everyone's plots!
    Fluttershy: Oh, erm... I'm pretty sure I have the wrong thread... bye!

8. - Top - End - #578
    Troll in the Playground

(DBC puts on his OOC hat)

Talking about ponies' plots is naughty.

AND I LIKE IT. if you don't mind (squeak)
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-06-21 at 02:06 AM.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

9. - Top - End - #579

AT LONG LAST! 3AM! IVE DONE IT!
    Here is the cutiemark ive been working on. This is only the rough, please, throw your ideas at me.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #580
    Troll in the Playground

That turned out very nicely. I don't see room for improvement.

Y'know, for all the talk at 12:00 this morning about staying up all night for summer sun, things have sort of died.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-06-21 at 02:18 AM.

11. - Top - End - #581

Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post

Y'know, for all the talk at 12:00 this morning about staying up all night for summer sun, things have sort of died.
    Wow, thank you... thank you very much.

Well we do live all over, for some, its already my tomorrow.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Ettin in the Playground

(DBC puts on his OOC hat)

Talking about ponies' plots is naughty.

AND I LIKE IT. if you don't mind (squeak)
    Wait, Fluttershy likes it.

Cannot brain reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelhero View Post
    AT LONG LAST! 3AM! IVE DONE IT!
    Here is the cutiemark ive been working on. This is only the rough, please, throw your ideas at me.

Spoiler
    Show
    Looks good.

Also, it's already 3:29PM here.

13. - Top - End - #583
    Troll in the Playground

Clearly I picked the wrong topic to have Fluttershy go "it's naughty... and I like it."

Also Pony Bebop. Almost as good as Cosby Bebop.

For the curious Cosby Bebop.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-06-21 at 02:40 AM.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Ettin in the Playground

I happen to do this thing every night that keeps me very very busy for a number of hours. Posting in pony thread is but the fevered dream of a madman.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    I happen to do this thing every night that keeps me very very busy for a number of hours. Posting in pony thread is but the fevered dream of a madman.
    Oh really? I have never heard of this activity. Is it well known?

In all seriousness, I forget, how many days of artist training are you doing?
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-06-21 at 02:50 AM.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Troll in the Playground

Asterix the Gaul. My apologies.
    <sigh>

Sorry, it's just an important part of my childhood, it was one of my favorite series, once

Plus, now that I thought about that, I went to look for other icons that once used to be the most popular where I live, and... Let's take this guy:

He used to be the most often quoted child cartoon character, now I can hardly find any images of him on google. I feel like a dinosaur from a long past era sometimes
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

17. - Top - End - #587
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh really? I have never heard of this activity. Is it well known?

In all seriousness, I forget, how many days of artist training are you doing?
    Huh? No, I don't think anypony's really heard of it before. I'm stuck on some no-name site that doesn't get any advertising. But what can you do?

I'm going to keep this up for 30 days, and then we pack up the tents and steal away into the night. Possibly to resurface at a later time, I'm not sure.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Troll in the Playground

Huh? No, I don't think anypony's really heard of it before. I'm stuck on some no-name site that doesn't get any advertising. But what can you do?

I'm going to keep this up for 30 days, and then we pack up the tents and steal away into the night. Possibly to resurface at a later time, I'm not sure.
    Hm. You should try advertising it on Equestria Daily. It's a good way to get attention to pony activity.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Ettin in the Playground

Why does this make a disturbing amount of sense?

Spoiler
    Show
    One thing I have noticed in discussions and fanfic is an assumption that we should be looking to England or France as a model for how things work. I will admit to having done the same, but upon further thought they might not be the best source.

Instead I suggest we look at pre-unification Germany, (i.e. the Holy Roman Empire). You have a large number of semi-independent states united under a higher monarch. The main difference is that Celestia would not have been spending generations trading away power to the Electors.

This gives us a number of things:

First, it can fully explain Celestia's use of princess: She may be the Equestrian Empress, but for personal reasons she prefers her title as monarch of the Principality of Everfree, (even if at best only a rump is still inhabited).

Second, it explains Blueblood: He is either the reigning prince of the Principality of Canterlot or the heir, but his family hasn't had much real responsibility since the imperial capital was moved.

Third, it allows for variety in how things are handled in stories: You can have the free city of Manehatten with a popularly elected council, Ponyville under the direct authority of the Princess as part of the rump of Everfree, more 'traditional' local monarchies, etc.

Next, it gives the opportunity for a much wider variety of political plots. Between various duchies, principalities, electorates, free cities, etc. jockeying for advantage and also the fun you can have when states straddle the border of the empire or an family from outside the empire gains a throne.

Finally, it makes it easy to have a story that includes a status jump. You could have that as an end of story reward, (e.g. Celestia rewards somepony by transferring the throne of some state she holds in personal union[1]), or the classic storylines of the incognito monarch/heir and "I've just inherited the throne of where?!?"

So, now that that's up the flagpole the question is salute, shoot or ignore?

[1] Personal union is when two independent states share a monarch. A RL example would be the Kingdom of England and the Dominion of Canada, (along with a number of others), under Elisabeth II.

Clearly I have been playing too long as Austria in Europa Universalis III.

Also, why am I trolling ponychan now? I NEVER BEEN TO CHAN BOARDS BEFORE.
    Last edited by Grif; 2011-06-21 at 03:46 AM.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    One thing I have noticed in discussions and fanfic is an assumption that we should be looking to England or France as a model for how things work. I will admit to having done the same, but upon further thought they might not be the best source.

Instead I suggest we look at pre-unification Germany, (i.e. the Holy Roman Empire). You have a large number of semi-independent states united under a higher monarch. The main difference is that Celestia would not have been spending generations trading away power to the Electors.

This gives us a number of things:

First, it can fully explain Celestia's use of princess: She may be the Equestrian Empress, but for personal reasons she prefers her title as monarch of the Principality of Everfree, (even if at best only a rump is still inhabited).

Second, it explains Blueblood: He is either the reigning prince of the Principality of Canterlot or the heir, but his family hasn't had much real responsibility since the imperial capital was moved.

Third, it allows for variety in how things are handled in stories: You can have the free city of Manehatten with a popularly elected council, Ponyville under the direct authority of the Princess as part of the rump of Everfree, more 'traditional' local monarchies, etc.

Next, it gives the opportunity for a much wider variety of political plots. Between various duchies, principalities, electorates, free cities, etc. jockeying for advantage and also the fun you can have when states straddle the border of the empire or an family from outside the empire gains a throne.

Finally, it makes it easy to have a story that includes a status jump. You could have that as an end of story reward, (e.g. Celestia rewards somepony by transferring the throne of some state she holds in personal union[1]), or the classic storylines of the incognito monarch/heir and "I've just inherited the throne of where?!?"

So, now that that's up the flagpole the question is salute, shoot or ignore?

[1] Personal union is when two independent states share a monarch. A RL example would be the Kingdom of England and the Dominion of Canada, (along with a number of others), under Elisabeth II.

Clearly I have been playing too long as Austria in Europa Universalis III.

Actually, this would make the sheer amount of German in my fanfics make sense. I did assume that Celestia's rule is pretty decentralized, so the HRE is a good model.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    As you might imagine, every single Wonderbolt has been trying the Sonic Rainboom ever since the Best Young Flyer's competition. It hasn't gone well.

Um... I really don't know from where the idea only Rainbow Dash can make 'booms came from. Was it ever made canon?

IMHO, it would be funnier if every Wonderbolt could do that, and they considered it trivial trick, actually ;P

However, Soarin is using that to his advantage. He's reaching top speed, as are the dragons (who are rather stupid beasts). However, his terminal velocity is higher than the dragons. He intentionally lets himself get thrown to safety by the sound barrier (ala Rainbow Dash's many Sonic Rainboom failures), while the dragons just plow into the ground at top speed, being unable to turn away in time.

...physics do not work that way :P

But hey, it's your story

Richthofen

Eh, so far, ponies had been named after planes, not pilots. It's very jarring, sorry :P
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

22. - Top - End - #592
    Titan in the Playground

This calls... FOR AN IMAGE DUMP.

Spoiler
    Show

Win.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    <sigh>

Sorry, it's just an important part of my childhood, it was one of my favorite series, once
    If you hadn't called him on it, I was gonna, Trixie! I'm a huge Asterix fan; Asterix is still one of my favourites - I have all the books pretty much, even the more recent ones that aren't so good. (I also have all the films1, yes even the two live-action ones (though I haven't watched the second one of those.))

Ironically, the first one I ever read was Asterix and the Goths...

1The British version of Asterix and the Big Fight had Bill Oddie doing a truly excellent Asterix, in my opinion, along with several other big names, including BRIAN BLESSED; and they didn't sanitise the "magic potion" into "vitamin potion", among other things, like the American dub... Stupidly, the DVD release of that only had the dreadful American dub, so I won't be getting rid of that video...
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2011-06-21 at 05:37 AM.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    So many spoiler boxes, it reminds me of the old days when a new episode would come out and reading the thread was an act of madness.
    But it speeds up the catching up every morning when you don't want to get spoilered.

<sigh>

It was an important of my youth, too. I guess the easiest way to identify an European above 20 is to ask him if he knows Asterix
    I do remember finding the my uncle's old Asterix issues in the attic next to Spirou and reading them. When I then learned that one of the creators died and there wouldn't be any more issues I was sad. But later I heard about a new issue and was exited. I read it and was a little confused, but assumed that I just didn't "get it" (I was still teenager and more gullible). Every few years new issues came out, and I had to face a very hard truth: I didn't love them. I didn't like them. I didn't dislike them. And I didn't hate them. I just didn't care.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

24. - Top - End - #594
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Welf View Post
    It was an important of my youth, too. I guess the easiest way to identify an European above 20 is to ask him if he knows Asterix
    I do remember finding the my uncle's old Asterix issues in the attic next to Spirou and reading them. When I then learned that one of the creators died and there wouldn't be any more issues I was sad. But later I heard about a new issue and was exited. I read it and was a little confused, but assumed that I just didn't "get it" (I was still teenager and more gullible). Every few years new issues came out, and I had to face a very hard truth: I didn't love them. I didn't like them. I didn't dislike them. And I didn't hate them. I just didn't care.
    Yes, René Goscinny was half of that magic

A pity Uderzo haven't asked someone competent at writing to take his place.

You know, in Poland, there was a long series of comics almost as charming and funny as Asterix, sadly, due to all that Iron Curtain business it remained completely obscure:

Spoiler
    Show

I guess I'm a dinosaur, too :P
    Above Us Only Sky

25. - Top - End - #595
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Heh.

Imagine 50+ bronies marching/standing in a Manehatten park singing pony songs.

It might be happening soon if weather permits.
    Guess I have practice my baritone.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

26. - Top - End - #596

Quote Originally Posted by Welf View Post
    Apparently Australia is part of Europe because everyone I know knows Asterix. THESE PONIES ROMANS PONIES ARE CRAZY!
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-06-21 at 08:53 AM.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Ogre in the Playground

<sigh>

Plus, now that I thought about that, I went to look for other icons that once used to be the most popular where I live, and... Let's take this guy:

He used to be the most often quoted child cartoon character, now I can hardly find any images of him on google. I feel like a dinosaur from a long past era sometimes
    There is only one thing to do!
    Draw ponies.

[SPOILER]
    You too? I turned around last night and realized I had spent a good hour of fimchan. Never done that before. And I think I want to go back... Confound these ponies!

28. - Top - End - #598
    Troll in the Playground

Apparently Australia is part of Europe because everyone I know knows Asterix. THESE PONIES ROMANS PONIES ARE CRAZY!
    This.

Asterix is awesome.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Your quotes rawk.

29. - Top - End - #599
    Ettin in the Playground

Apparently, Texas is part of Europe, too, because I've met all kinds of people who knew Asterix here.

NO, THANQOL, YOU CAN'T HAVE ANY MAGIC POTION. YOU FELL IN AS A BABY, REMEMBER?
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

30. - Top - End - #600

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    Apparently, Texas is part of Europe, too, because I've met all kinds of people who knew Asterix here.

NO, THANQOL, YOU CAN'T HAVE ANY MAGIC POTION. YOU FELL IN AS A BABY, REMEMBER?
    I wish I fell in the super strength potion instead of the super beard growing potion, truth be told.