New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XI: "Mmph!"

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    "It's a travesty is what this is! That child is a piled on mishmash of everything but the kitchen sink! Who is responsible for subjecting our eyes to these horrors?"

"...Daddy?"

"Drat."
    No no, Thanqol got it wrong. That isn't the child of Rainbow Dash and Hoity. Rainbow Dash IS HOITY'S DAUGHTER. THAT'S AN OLD FILE PHOTO OF THEM HANGING OUT TOGETHER.

Hoity could easily be 20 years older than the mane cast, judging by his silver hair. Perhaps he had a disastrous first marriage with Firefly! I need to reread Fair Feather Friend, because I had Dash's dad as an earth pony anyway, SO THIS COULD BE SO. AWESOME. IF IT DOESN'T CONTRADICT ANYTHING.

Why didn't Hoity say anything to Dash during the modelling? He didn't recognize her under that superhero costume. Heck, they could have a touching moment after that episode! Or a bitter, angry moment, if Dash doesn't want ponies knowing her father is a foppish fashionista!

... THAT COULD BE, IN MY FANON, WHY DASH IS OBSESSED WITH BEING COOL AND WELL LIKED. You think anypony at Junior Speedsters Camp or Flight School is going to give you any peace if your DAD works in fashion?

"Hey Rainbow Crash! What makeup does your dad use?"
    Rainbow Dash: He usually doesn't, unless somepony comes by to take photos for an interview. With the lighting...
    "HEY EVERYPONY, RAINBOW DASH'S DAD WEARS MAKEUP!"

And from that day, RAINBOW DASH HATED FASHION AND FASHION ACCESSORIES. She worked hard to cut all possible involvement in it from her life. She redoubled her efforts to be cool to compensate... which brought her into contact with Gilda, who sensed that she would go along with anything to have somegriffon thing she was cool.

In fact, having divorced parents might go a way towards explaining her "bravado wrapped around a massive ball of insecurity" personality: a fundamental fear that everypony is gong to leave her if she isn't cool enough.

For comparison, Firefly.

... And all of this means that Dash might well have words with her father for starting up a relationship with Purple Pie, who's at most 3 years older than his one and only daughter (Dash strikes me as an only child).
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-06-21 at 01:44 PM.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

2. - Top - End - #632
    Firbolg in the Playground

Alright, here's what it looks like without eyes. The brows/lash stay, however
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by MCerberus; 2011-06-21 at 01:34 PM.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

3. - Top - End - #633
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nice job. It was fine with or without the eyes.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

4. - Top - End - #634

Alright, so here we are
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

5. - Top - End - #635
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    No no, Thanqol got it wrong. That isn't the child of Rainbow Dash and Hoity. Rainbow Dash IS HOITY'S DAUGHTER. THAT'S AN OLD FILE PHOTO OF THEM HANGING OUT TOGETHER.

Hoity could easily be 20 years older than the mane cast, judging by his silver hair. Perhaps he had a disastrous first marriage with Firefly! I need to reread Fair Feather Friend, because I had Dash's dad as an earth pony anyway, SO THIS COULD BE SO. AWESOME. IF IT DOESN'T CONTRADICT ANYTHING.

Why didn't Hoity say anything to Dash during the modelling? He didn't recognize her under that superhero costume. Heck, they could have a touching moment after that episode! Or a bitter, angry moment, if Dash doesn't want ponies knowing her father is a foppish fashionista!

... THAT COULD BE, IN MY FANON, WHY DASH IS OBSESSED WITH BEING COOL AND WELL LIKED. You think anypony at Junior Speedsters Camp or Flight School is going to give you any peace if your DAD works in fashion?

"Hey Rainbow Crash! What makeup does your dad use?"
    Rainbow Dash: He usually doesn't, unless somepony comes by to take photos for an interview. With the lighting...
    "HEY EVERYPONY, RAINBOW DASH'S DAD WEARS MAKEUP!"

And from that day, RAINBOW DASH HATED FASHION AND FASHION ACCESSORIES. She worked hard to cut all possible involvement in it from her life. She redoubled her efforts to be cool to compensate... which brought her into contact with Gilda, who sensed that she would go along with anything to have somegriffon thing she was cool.

In fact, having divorced parents might go a way towards explaining her "bravado wrapped around a massive ball of insecurity" personality: a fundamental fear that everypony is gong to leave her if she isn't cool enough.

For comparison, Firefly.

... And all of this means that Dash might well have words with her father for starting up a relationship with Purple Pie, who's at most 3 years older than his one and only daughter (Dash strikes me as an only child).
    Oh! Oh! Let's add that to the idea that Dash dyes her mane! She hates Hoity so much for his career choice and all the abuse it caused her, so to get back at him she dyed her mane in as many bright colours as she could!

Spoiler
    Show
    There we go, that looks much better!

6. - Top - End - #636
    Troll in the Playground

Alright, so here we are
    Um, Twilight. There are always ponies in my dreams. You, my other friends, Big Macintosh when I've had too many Margaritas before bed... I shouldn't have said that last one (eep).

@ Kyohen: I think that he can appreciate a well made Rainbow like Dash's. The revenge might have been going goth in High School, especially on the weekends he got her.

Hoity: Dash, did you cover up all of your colors in that garish black and red nonsense again?

Rainbow Dash: I'M MY OWN PONY, DAD. DEAL WITH IT. (SLAMS THE DOOR, cranks up the Linkin Park album).
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-06-21 at 01:50 PM.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Ogre in the Playground

Um, Twilight. There are always ponies in my dreams. You, my other friends, Big Macintosh when I've had too many Margaritas before bed... I shouldn't have said that last one (eep).

@ Kyohen: I think that he can appreciate a well made Rainbow like Dash's. The revenge might have been going goth in High School, especially on the weekends he got her.

Hoity: Dash, did you cover up all of your colors in that garish black and red nonsense again?

Rainbow Dash: I'M MY OWN PONY, DAD. DEAL WITH IT. (SLAMS THE DOOR, cranks up the Linkin Park album).
    Huh, I was aiming for some sort of family issue that ends up shaping who Dash is. But that idea is infinitely more hilarious. Dash dying her hair to get rid of all the colours? Wasn't expecting that!

8. - Top - End - #638
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    Huh, I was aiming for some sort of family issue that ends up shaping who Dash is. But that idea is infinitely more hilarious. Dash dying her hair to get rid of all the colours? Wasn't expecting that!
    It was Gilda's idea.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Ogre in the Playground

I just had the vision of Hoity Toity and Rainbow Dash standing on a bridge and HT saying "Dash, I AM your father. Together, we can wear fancy dresses and French Haute couture."
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

10. - Top - End - #640
    Troll in the Playground

And there's my backdoor sequel to Beyond Forever. It isn't about Purple Pie. It's about Hoity showing up in Ponyville to tell Dash he's getting remarried, and Dash exploding on him as a result. It's about a father who fundamentally loves his daughter, despite her being an extremely different pony, who married the wrong pony when he was young.

"SHE'S MY FRIEND'S SISTER, YOU OLD PERV!"

(I'm not sure what split them up. I'm just spitballing. It could be something as simple as Hoity's work taking him away from home for long stretches and Firefly getting sick of often raising Dash alone).
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-06-21 at 01:59 PM.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Ogre in the Playground

And there's my backdoor sequel to Beyond Forever. It isn't about Purple Pie. It's about Hoity showing up in Ponyville to tell Dash he's getting remarried, and Dash exploding on him as a result. It's about a father who fundamentally loves his daughter, despite her being an extremely different pony, who married the wrong pony when he was young.

"SHE'S MY FRIEND'S SISTER, YOU OLD PERV!"

(I'm not sure what split them up. I'm just spitballing. It could be something as simple as Hoity's work taking him away from home for long stretches and Firefly getting sick of often raising Dash alone).
    What if Dash takes after Firefly? Set it up so that though Hoity could love a pony so different from himself Firefly gets bored of being married in general, especially to a pony that's so concerned with fashion and whatnot? She decides she needs someone a little more exciting and the marriage ends.

12. - Top - End - #642
    Troll in the Playground

What if Dash takes after Firefly? Set it up so that though Hoity could love a pony so different from himself Firefly gets bored of being married in general, especially to a pony that's so concerned with fashion and whatnot? She decides she needs someone a little more exciting and the marriage ends.
    So Hoity didn't do anything wrong except get married before he understood the personality of his paramour.

Hoity: So how's your mother and... whatsisface.

Dash: Mom's cool. And he has a name.

Hoity: ... I just prefer not to say it.

Dash: Lemony Medows is pretty cool. He gave me a signed basketball with all of the other Marelem Globetrotters' autograph's on it last Winter Solstice. I don't see why you don't like him.

Hoity: ... sigh. It's just... if your mother had picked just about anypony else, somepony with a less flamboyant job, I could pretend we'd have worked if I'd tried harder.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-06-21 at 02:11 PM.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Ogre in the Playground

So Hoity didn't do anything wrong except get married before he understood the personality of his paramour.

Hoity: So how's your mother and... whatsisface.

Dash: Mom's cool. And he has a name.

Hoity: ... I just prefer not to say it.

Dash: Lemony Medows is pretty cool. He gave me a signed basketball with all of the other Marelem Globetrotters' names on it last Winter Solstice.

Hoity: ... sigh.
    Yeah, basically. They probably loved each other at first, Firefly's just too restless to settle down for long. That's why she moved out of Ponyville and left the house to Dash.

14. - Top - End - #644
    Ettin in the Playground

Dash is probably miffed that Hoity didn't recognize her the one time she actually tried to impress him, too.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Titan in the Playground

The Great and Powerful Lixie approves of this plot!
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, basically. They probably loved each other at first, Firefly's just too restless to settle down for long. That's why she moved out of Ponyville and left the house to Dash.
    Ehehehehehehehehehehehe. I love the idea of Pony Harlem Globetrotters.

Also, if it's in the same universe as Beyond Forever, Hoity would probably be hurt that once again, Dash didn't exactly volunteer the information that he's her father, when he met her friends at the end of the fic.

So much mutual unintentional feelings-hurting going back and forth.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-06-21 at 02:14 PM.

17. - Top - End - #647
    Titan in the Playground

*awesome idea*
    Oh my goodness. Think back to Beyond Forever, when Purple and Hoity came to the doughnut shop. This puts Rainbow Dash's "stand off to the side, waiting for them to clear the door" in a completely different light. She's not just impatient, she's trying to mask her disgust at seeing Hoity.

So where do the Wonderbolts fit in all this? Is it because Dash honestly took to flying/athletics, and sees it as the best prize any young flyer could ask for? Or does she see the physical demands of the job, combined with the fame it would bring, as the ultimate "screw you dad"?
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2011-06-21 at 02:17 PM.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Oh my goodness. Think back to Beyond Forever, when Purple and Hoity came to the doughnut shop. This puts Rainbow Dash's "stand off to the side, waiting for them to clear the door" in a completely different light. She's not just impatient, she's trying to mask her disgust at seeing Hoity.

So where do the Wonderbolts fit in all this? Is it because Dash honestly took to flying/athletics, and sees it as the best prize any young flyer could ask for? Or does she see the physical demands of the job, combined with the fame it would bring, as the ultimate "screw you dad"?
    I hadn't even thought of that. More proof that people often know your works better than you do.

A little of both? ACTUALLY wanting to be part of the Wonderbolts could be the desire for a family where it doesn't matter if individuals leave. If Firefly divorces Hoity, the family's done. If Spitfire leaves the Wonderbolts, there's still a Wonderbolts.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-06-21 at 02:20 PM.

19. - Top - End - #649
    Titan in the Playground

Also, if it's in the same universe as Beyond Forever, Hoity would probably be hurt that once again, Dash didn't exactly volunteer the information that he's her father, when he met her friends at the end of the fic.

On that note, perhaps they were both waiting for the other to say something at the end of Art of the Dress, but neither did. Dash took it as "my dad is more interested in these stupid dresses than his daughter" while Hoity took it as "I guess she still doesn't want to talk to me, dang".

EDIT: I cannot believe that all this has come off of a picture of a crack pairing. Have I mentioned how much I love and tolerate the lot of you?
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2011-06-21 at 02:25 PM.

20. - Top - End - #650
    Troll in the Playground

On that note, perhaps they were both waiting for the other to say something at the end of Art of the Dress, but neither did. Dash took it as "my dad is more interested in these stupid dresses than his daughter" while Hoity took it as "I guess she still doesn't want to talk to me, dang".

EDIT: I cannot believe that all this has come off of a picture of a crack pairing. Have I mentioned how much I love and tolerate the lot of you?
    I can't wait for Thanqol to come along and find out what madness he's spawned.

The only issue that occurs to me is that Dash looked back on her father fondly in Fair Feather Friend. The workaround there is that the bitterness didn't come until later, so she has fond memories of them together, him with his small pack of hounds, smoking his pipe in his easy chair in front of the fire as he read to her, or played little games.

Aw man, now I want them to reconcile.

... what would the title of such a fic be?

Forever 3: The Quickening?
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-06-21 at 02:29 PM.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Ogre in the Playground

Two possible reasons why she didn't volunteer the information (because I like the idea of Dash and Hoity largely having a good father/daughter relationship):

1) She didn't think it was important. She doesn't track fashion, how is she supposed to know just how famous her dad is? Not like she gets to talk to him much since he's always busy with his work.

2) She's kinda embarrassed by his chosen profession. She's the athletic type and hates doing the whole dress-up thing. (She's just lucky Rarity knows her well enough to be able to make a dress she'll wear) She wants to be famous for her athletic abilities, not for being an extension of her father's fashion expertise. So she just kind of keeps it quiet so people won't go expecting her to take after him.

Of course this also brings up the possibility that maybe Dash moved to Ponyville on her own. She wants to be famous, but she doesn't want the extra baggage of Hoity's fame following her around. She'll admit that she's his daughter, she just won't volunteer that.

...Though at that point we're getting a little close to Beyond Forever, though in this case the family member that moves away to follow her dreams still keeps in touch with the rest of the family.

22. - Top - End - #652
    Troll in the Playground

Two possible reasons why she didn't volunteer the information (because I like the idea of Dash and Hoity largely having a good father/daughter relationship):

1) She didn't think it was important. She doesn't track fashion, how is she supposed to know just how famous her dad is? Not like she gets to talk to him much since he's always busy with his work.

2) She's kinda embarrassed by his chosen profession. She's the athletic type and hates doing the whole dress-up thing. (She's just lucky Rarity knows her well enough to be able to make a dress she'll wear) She wants to be famous for her athletic abilities, not for being an extension of her father's fashion expertise. So she just kind of keeps it quiet so people won't go expecting her to take after him.

Of course this also brings up the possibility that maybe Dash moved to Ponyville on her own. She wants to be famous, but she doesn't want the extra baggage of Hoity's fame following her around. She'll admit that she's his daughter, she just won't volunteer that.

...Though at that point we're getting a little close to Beyond Forever, though in this case the family member that moves away to follow her dreams still keeps in touch with the rest of the family.
    I think there's a little bitterness there. The difference with the Forever situation is that a HUUUUUUUGE number of ponies already know about Dash and Hoity. In fact, Fluttershy would logically already know. Dash just doesn't like talking about him, but wouldn't lie about it if it came up. So it's mainly a revelation to the audience. Also, the principal argument isn't "why aren't my friends allowed to know we're related." It's 1) why are you marrying a filly my age, you old goat, it was bad enough you were dating her, act your damn age and 2) Dash, why are you so ashamed of me?
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-06-21 at 02:36 PM.

23. - Top - End - #653
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Baron AWESOME View Post
    I hadn't even thought of that. More proof that people often know your works better than you do.

A little of both? ACTUALLY wanting to be part of the Wonderbolts could be the desire for a family where it doesn't matter if individuals leave. If Firefly divorces Hoity, the family's done. If Spitfire leaves the Wonderbolts, there's still a Wonderbolts.
    Only ponies can properly express my love of this whole sequence of ideas.

First: IDEA~

Then: So Awesome!

Finally: I am going to LOVE THIS!
    Last edited by the_druid_droid; 2011-06-21 at 02:37 PM.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

24. - Top - End - #654
    Titan in the Playground

... what would the title of such a fic be?

Forever 3: The Quickening?
    I'm not even sure it should still be under the Forever name, depending on how the plot pans out. It's dealing with a new conflict entirely. But seeing as this is in the wild mass guessing stages, it's a bit early to call that.

How far after BF were you planning on making this? If it's shortly (within a year or so) then I could see another angle to the conflict; Rainbow Dash thinks Hoity is making the same mistake again. If all he did wrong was marry her mother without knowing her well enough, then how would she feel if he's planning on remarrying someone he hasn't know for very long?

25. - Top - End - #655

What do you think about this plot line, Flutterneo?

Altering people's timelines is naughty and you shouldn't do it. You should just kill them without mercy regardless of whether they're being possessed by an agent or not.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #656
    Troll in the Playground

This idea is so sad. It's fundamentally a failure to communicate on both their parts.

Though at the tear filled, partial reconciling ending...

Dash: So does this mean you won't marry a filly my age?
    Hoity: No.
    Dash: I'm not going to call her mom.
    Hoity: Do you call Lemony Meadows dad?
    Dash: No.
    Hoity: Then I'll accept that.

Also, I was kidding about giving it a Forever name. And that's a good point. He know Photo Finish, but Photo Finish was a mask. Purple Pie, if you count them meeting for the first time at the gala, he's only known for a year or so. So while an outside observer would say "they've known each other 6 years," someone on the inside knows she only dropped the charade a year ago.

What do you think about this plot line, Flutterneo?

Altering people's timelines is naughty and you shouldn't do it. You should just kill them without mercy regardless of whether they're being possessed by an agent or not.
    I'd forgotten just how callous the Matrix movies were. Hell, if he was The One and he could do anything in the Matrix he could imagine, he should have just been able to program a cloud of knockout gas whenever he was attacked by humans.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-06-21 at 02:44 PM.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Titan in the Playground

...even if it is the best episode of Season 2, I will still feel wronged on a fundamental level if there is a "meet the parents of the mane cast" episode. Just because I like this version SO. DANG. MUCH.

28. - Top - End - #658
    Troll in the Playground

I had Firefly on the brain this morning ONLY because I rewatched the 80s pilot for the unnamed sequel to Fillydelphia.

And Firefly was easily the most competent pony. Not that that's saying much.

Also, the name of the Marelem Globetrotter Firefly's dating is being upgraded to full reference: "Lemony Meadowlark."
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-06-21 at 03:14 PM.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Titan in the Playground

Ironically, I had Firefly on the brain this morning ONLY because I rewatched the 80s pilot for the unnamed sequel to Fillydelphia.

And Firefly was easily the most competent pony. Not that that's saying much.
    Wait. So not only was this inspired by a picture of HoityDash, but also in part from the 80's MLP?

...I'm so confused.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Troll in the Playground

Wait. So not only was this inspired by a picture of HoityDash, but also in part from the 80's MLP?

...I'm so confused.
    Welcome to my creative process.