New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Vale Of Shadows (FR 3.5 IC)

Prologue: Journey to Skullport

For a few days now, they have rested. Called from various places around Faerun, they await the call of the Promenade to action. And now, the call has come.

The beauty of the Promenade of Eilistraee is not in its caverns or halls, which are mostly simple, if not rough. Nor is it in its keepers, those drow who have turned toward the light. It is in the peace, rare in the Undermountain. It is within one of the barracks that the group meets with their employer, Protector Chisra.

She is, as with many drow, physically fit, and exceptionally beautiful, but her beauty is a harsh one, for she is scarred heavily, and her gaze is sharp. Her voice is authoratitve, but it is calm authority. She gives the group time to assess each other before speaking.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming at least a couple of the group have not worked with each other before. Decide among yourselves who knows each other, and who doesn't
    Last edited by darkpuppy; 2011-06-24 at 12:41 AM.
    Pembrokeshire: A place where madness is an aid, not only to gainful employment, but continued existence.

"Wizards... the class everyone whines about, but I destroy whenever I feel like it"
    - Darkpuppy, on Wizards in his DnD games.

Vale of Shadows OOC
    Vale of Shadows IC

All The Kings Men IC (DEAD)
    All The Kings Men OOC (DEAD)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Default Re: Vale Of Shadows (FR 3.5 IC)

Rustle is short and slight, at least that's what one might guess. She's wrapped up in the robes of a desert-dwelling Bedine, with a cloth pulled across the lower half of her face, and even gloves covering her hands.

A plain looking sword hangs at her waist, and a backpack hangs from her shoulder. The only obvious adornment is a holy symbol of Oghma, and the kohl around her dark brown eyes. She studies the other gathered adventurers.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Eyes scanned the group before her and the place, eyes that were currently violet in hue. it was hard to hide any excitement. she might not have been a natural cold blooded killer, but love of a nice fight and the danger that came with it was in her blood.

long unusual mop of hair fell around her to her waist, soft faerie fire causing the silver to almost glow and sharply contrast obsidian skin that marked her race clearly. mingled among the silver tresses were natural bold red streaks, a genetic gift from her sire. the tall girl was dressed as one who belonged in the lightless lands: midnight blue baggy spidersilk shirt fell around a thin frame and gathered at a small wait with a black leather belt. the clasp a small black sapphire shaped like a spider. tucked into each knee high magical boots were seen the hilts of two dagger, two of the many hidden among her person. her piwafwi an unusual color of crimson gave hint to her background and added to the mystery; the final proof, a small metallic disk pinned on it. the insignia of her house and indication of her status as a high noble of some city.
    or so she was.
    she'd been a houseless rogue for nearly 3 decades, House Kilanatlar destroyed by the loss of favor with the Spider Queen. the mithril chain hung low enough for any to see the sword pendent, the first indication that unlike most drow, she was not a spider kisser. the girl had long ago chosen to follow the Dark Maiden. had turned from the ways of her people and eventually left the darkness behind.

Despite the intrigue of the upcoming mission, she manage to be in awe of one of the holiest place (for her)- the Promenade. it was here that Lothir had said he wanted to visit after they left Menzo; that the two were planning to visit together, at least before.... a slight bit of sadness at the thought indicated by the slight bit of blue her eyes also held. she quickly pushed the thoughts away to force herself to focus on now. her hands moved to rest on the hilts of her swords as she waited and listened.
    Last edited by Zarae; 2011-06-24 at 06:19 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Standing nearby is another young woman. Her eyes at a glance appear to be nearly pure white, but a further look shows her irises to be a piecing, icy blue, the color of clear ice in a glacier. Her long white hair is pulled back into a braid that runs down her back to the curve of her rear; her skin, unlike the osbidian color of those of her mother's race, carries an exotic, greyish-purple tone, showing for all her mixed ancestry. Covering her skin is an outfit designed for maximum flexibility and mobility - a smiple one-piece bodysuit made from light leather and cut to allow fully unrestricted motion of her form, and well-made boots, also leather, coming up to her thighs and doubling as scabbards for a pair of rapiers, a belt around her waist carrying most of the remainder of her possessions.

Examining the others present, she nods respectfully to Protector Chisra, and remains quiet, wating for one of the others to speak first.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

The bard -- for it is obvious that is what she is, with the small, intricately carved mandolin hung carefully at her hip, and the panpipes peeking out of her breast pocket -- appears, first and foremost, wholly and completely out of place.

It's clear she's not accustomed to the underground, or perhaps it's the unusual company in which she finds herself. She has a quick, disarming smile for anyone who looks her way, but the rest of the time, she's being very self-conscious -- careful not to step the wrong way or to be caught staring at the wrong person.

She's a bit short for a surface Elf, five-foot-four, and typically slender. She appears to be a Sun Elf, but her mannerisms and demeanor are unusual for one of that sub-race; also, her skin is perhaps a shade paler (and her blue eyes a shade darker) than the typical Ar-tel-quessir. Her golden hair is wavy and falls below her shoulders.

The bard is exceptionally beautiful -- it's impossible not to notice -- but she's dressed modestly in colorful and well made clothing of the highest quality and comfort. She wears a chain shirt of mithral as protection, but its gleam is outshined by the holy symbol she wears, a heart-shaped icon sculpted with the utmost of precision and care out of pure gold.

Kanae

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Rustle bows shallowly to the others. When she speaks, it is with a slight accent, and a precision that suggests that Common isn't her first language. Her voice is strong, but has a raspy quality to it, "I am called Rustle, of Anauroch. I serve the Lord of Knowledge. It is an honor to meet you all."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

Solinal stood against a wall, his blackened hood pulled far forward, and his shadow dancing against the wall, morphing and swirling, unlike anything the torchlight in the room would have cast. He kept his arms crossed, the steel wolf heads of his bracers covering his fists as he peered forward, watching the gathering with careful eyes. Drow, the word was like acid in his mind. Working with them was one thing, but to work with those that betrayed their own kin - that was a new story.

You could trust a Matron to lie to your face, use you for political gain, and then to stab you in the back when it served her best - Solinal accepted it, maybe even admired it a little. But these drow? They betrayed their own kin, and called it 'freedom'. In the sake of 'freedom', it made them even more untrustworthy, as you couldn't glean their intentions - they didn't struggle for political seats, or sprout new intrigue with House rivalry. They were unpredictable, and that's what made them scarier than most. You could call a dog a cat, but it wouldn't make it not a dog. He held no respect for those who couldn't keep up the political dance of being a drow elf; it was a world designed for the quick witted, and sharp-tongued - were all others were simply the pawns used to play the game, discarded so that the stronger pieces may make their moves.

But he kept his thoughts on the drow to himself. He was here for a slaver - not the slaves. They could rot on the streets of Skullport once they were freed for all he cared, another tidbit he chose not to open his mouth about. Instead, he chose to stand silently, and await for orders. He do these 'orders' quickly, efficiently, and if need be, gutting anyone who tried to stop him. Perhaps he'd even learn that the Crown of Horns was in Skullport - take Myrkul's crown for himself. He shuddered silently at the thought.

Solinal wrung his hands once, the cloak opening a bit, and the silky, flowing form of his hide armor became visible. It warped and swirled much like his shadow did - the heavier 'plates' of armor having small black tendrils lifting and rejoining the armor in other locations. He enjoyed the soft feel of shadowsilk - it's properties and reconstitution was simply icing for him - even if his armor was to be seriously damaged, he could simply retreat to the shadows and wait for it to repair itself. He thanked Mask silently for creating such at material. Letting his hands fall back to his chest, he stood silently, returning to watching, and waiting for the drow to begin discussing their course of action.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

As Rustle studies the others, her eyes catch briefly on the shadow-stuff surrounding Solinal and the faintest of frowns skips across her eyes.

9. - Top - End - #9

the girl standing to the left side of everyone wondered about the group she was to be working with. Strange, the protector wanted her with this group, but said nothing about it. her surface cousins couldnt hate her that much if they were here, right? of course a few of them looked a bit nervous or at least uncomfortable. and one, well, she'd need to remember to watch out for that one for sure, tho she always was suspicious of anyone. Trust being so dangerous, one who trusted usually ended up with a blade between the shoulders.

oh well. it would be interesting to say the least working with the faerie elves and an unusually dressed human.
    with introductions being given, Zarae put them to memory.
    her hands crossed before her in an Underdark sigh of neutrality/peace, "Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar, fifth..." she started as had been ingrained for 2 decades, "yall can call me Zarae."
    Last edited by Zarae; 2011-06-25 at 02:01 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

"Zarae. It is...favourable to see you again," the half-drowess says with a tilt of her head, in what might be a gesture of greeting, but then again could simply be an 'oh no, not you again' kind of thing. Or perhaps even both. "I am Naethalee Halcyon. I also answer to Nae and 'Hey-You'," she says, a smile crossing her lips, as she nods as well to Rustle, and regards the silently cloaked man with a gracefully arched eyebrow.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

11. - Top - End - #11

Zarae chuckled softly at the half drowess, "and we must try that dance dual again, no interruptions" her iris's fully violet now, "that was most fun I had in so long after traversing the tunnels," she said quietly.
    Last edited by Zarae; 2011-06-25 at 02:45 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

"Oh, yes, most certainly. I found it quite enjoyable as well," Naethalee confirms with a quiet chuckle of her own.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Rustle studies Solinal, her expression betraying little, "And you, who chooses not to introduce himself? You have the look of a hunter in shadows."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Minus the monocle.

"Nairiyn, Nairiyn Tae'Ilarotil. Some of you might know me as Headmistress Tae'Ilarotil but I'm not sure if I'd recognize you." The elf who'd spoken peers down with half lidded eyes at the assembly, contently smoking a long ornate pipe. Yet it isn't her that draws attention than what she sit, nay reclines upon. A massive, grizzled white tiger that appears to be smoking a pipe of its own.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

"Ah, yes. I have heard of your school. I am a scholar myself, though our areas of focus are... somewhat different."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh, yes," the bard pipes up. Her voice is lilting, almost (but not quite) sing-songy. "Naiaith University, if memory serves. The situation here must be significant indeed to draw its headmistress from her duties."

Seeing eyes upon her, she blushes ever-so-slightly. "My name is Kanae," she explains. "I'm a singer and traveling bard in the service of Hanali Celanil. Associates of my acquaintance directed me here, hoping I might be of service to the Promenade."

She looks to Protector Chisra. "And how might we serve, Lady Protector?"

Kanae Passiontune
    Last edited by LtPowers; 2011-06-26 at 02:20 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Protector Chisra eyes Solinal for a moment, his refusal to speak obviously annoying her, but turns to the rest of the group to answer:

"You ask a good question. We of the Promenade do not condone, in any way, slavery, and do what we can to eradicate it. You can imagine, then, how much Skullport insults our sensibilities. We are asking you to travel to Skullport, board, through stealth if possible, the Iceland Queen, and free the slaves. We will be paying you 10,000 gold pieces apiece if the slaves are freed, brought safely back to the Promenade, and...", she pauses, looking especially at Solinal "another 10,000 for the one who brings the head of the slavemaster, a thayan necromancer by the name of Ariss Tarn. A map will be provided, detailing the safest known route to Skullport, although we have no maps of the Iceland Queen itself. Questions may be asked, but we know relatively little about the ship, although we do know that the slaves number approximately 50."
    Pembrokeshire: A place where madness is an aid, not only to gainful employment, but continued existence.

"Wizards... the class everyone whines about, but I destroy whenever I feel like it"

Vale of Shadows OOC
    Vale of Shadows IC

18. - Top - End - #18

Zarae nodded, understanding more than she would let on.
    "what kind of resistance should we expect? the Vhaeraunites?" she asked, not sure if if they were still active as they were.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

"Thankfully, Zarae, the followers of Vhaeraun appear to be quiet for the moment. However, as you well know, even the safest routes through the Sargauth require you to pass through minotaur territory, and, although bestial, they are intelligent, and highly territorial. The map will show you what our scouts inform us is a relatively safe route, along with directions, but we cannot guarantee your safety."

The protector sighs "Beyond that, we know little of what lies along your route, although we have discovered several portals you can use to quicken your journey, along with their keys. We do not posess all the keys, but enough to make your journey quicker."
    Last edited by darkpuppy; 2011-06-26 at 04:19 PM.

Vale of Shadows OOC
    Vale of Shadows IC

20. - Top - End - #20

"that is... good," she replied, tho whether relief or a bit of disappointment was hard to tell- much less why.
    "they had been rather busy in Menzo, and a thorn in our work. which reminds me, later after we return, I should tell you of the efforts still going on."
    staring off into further into the room, her bare fingers ran thru her hair as she began thinking and planning in her head, letting the others ask their questions.
    what would be the best route to getting on the ship with minimal loss of life? storming the boat would be dangerous.
    disguises?
    Last edited by Zarae; 2011-06-26 at 06:33 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

"By Her Shining Heart!" exclaims Kanae. "Fifty slaves? We have to help them!"

But she pauses long enough to consider the scope of the task, and frowns slightly; the expression doesn't suit her. "I'm afraid my talents are not well tuned to a mission of stealth. I truly wish to help, but I would hate to become a liability to a group such as this, one which obviously has considerable skill in that respect."

She brightens, though, as she remembers, "I do have a few spells that might help... though casting them is not a subtle affair."

Kanae

22. - Top - End - #22
    Halfling in the Playground

Solinal smirked as the drow took disdain in his silence, but bowed slightly as she made note of the extra coin for killing the slaver itself, "It's good to see you know how to tug at a man's heart - through the strings of his pouch." He chuckled silently, money wasn't important.

Lifting up, he rested his palms against the pommel of his swordswords, with a small smile, he nodded to the others, "Forgive my rudeness, I just prefer to take measure of my allies before anything else. I am Solinal Vonaliri, mostly a blade for hire - odd jobs, here and there. Not all of them as clean as one might prefer." He wasn't entirely lying, he did do jobs - hire was a bit of a stretch, though.

Unlike a few of the others, he didn't show any concern for the slaves, or their number, "Sounds easy enough - if not through stealth, then, perhaps, deception. I don't mind either method, though." He shrugged, tapping his fingers against the leather-clad handle of his blades.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Chisra chuckles, although there is no humour in it. "You think, Solinal. because of our skin, we are shackled to a life of deceit and treachery." Her laughter is openly mocking now "You see so little. Surprised? I am a dancer of Eilistraee, and we use our minds, our sight, our very spirit in both battle... and judgement. We call you because we find you will do some good, in spite of yourself."

She turns completely to him, and strides close, close enough to whisper into his ear. "We asked a diviner to see what she could of each of you. It was cryptic, but for you... no, very straightforward. She said 'He will achieve what he seeks. But he shall have no pleasure if he pursues it. His fate is his own to decide.' You are a killer, we know this much about you, and nothing more. But your path can change... If you accept it."

Striding back to the centre, she turns to Kanae "Lady bard, we have faith in the abilities of yourself, and the group as a whole. Solinal's idea has merit, also. Should you choose to misdirect, you may also find success. We leave it up to you to decide.". Turning to the rest, she finishes "I will take a few more questions, but time is short. You have five days to reach Skullport, to arrive in time for the Iceland Queen's arrival. Should you get there sooner, all the better, but they do not tarry, and will sell the slaves quickly. Nor, I suspect, should you."

Vale of Shadows OOC
    Vale of Shadows IC

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

"A boat. I see." Rustle's eyes narrow slightly, "You say Ariss Tarn is a necromancer. Do you know anything else relevant about him? Those who interfere with the undead can be potent enemies."
    Last edited by Silver Night; 2011-06-26 at 09:20 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

"Another good question, but one I sadly have little information on. We know that he has a flesh golem bodyguard, and that he is an exile who has, nonetheless, survived all attempts to assassinate him by the Red Circle, but he guards his ship with hobgoblin mercenaries each time he docks, and he leads the slaves personally from the ship with his bodyguard. None have seen his crew, not even the mercenaries."

Reaching into her robes, Chisra pulls out a small scroll case, which she hands to Zarae. "This is the map detailing a quick route to Skullport from here. The two portals along the way are one way only, but should make your journey a little easier. It is possible to traverse the Sargauth level to Skullport in five days, but we wish to get you there as soon as possible, and don't want to take foolish risks."

She then reaches, a little more hesitantly this time, for a small pouch, and hands this to Zarae as well. "The items required to open the portals were... distasteful to acquire, but shall serve their purpose. Follow the instructions upon the map, and you shall traverse safely. I will take two more questions, and then bid you good luck." She sighs "Considering the minotaur tribe nearby, you shall no doubt need it."

Vale of Shadows OOC
    Vale of Shadows IC

26. - Top - End - #26

She took the map and key, nodding to Lady Chisra and understanding well enough, both the limit of time and what they went thru to aquire such.
    "By the Dark Maiden's grace we have met. May she guide and protect us all," Zarae said to the older drowess.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

(ooc Note you guys can't actually understand the tiger, which is why I changed the font. I'm just using him as flavor.)

Nairiyn tips her pipe in acknowledgment towards Rustle, then taking a thoughtful draw she considers the task. "What of what passes as Skullport's authorities? I haven't spent much time below the surface myself." The tiger growls. "Pff nowhere to bask." "Oh hush you." The elf leans forward to scratch behind the big cat's ears. "A flesh golem though... That should be interesting to deal with. Bringing the slaves back that distance will be a challenge in and of itself as well."
    Last edited by userpay; 2011-06-26 at 11:49 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Protector Chisra nods respectfully to Zarae "May She guide and protect us all, sister."

Turning toward Nairiyn, she nods thoughtfully "Skullport is... a chaotic place, so much so that even most Drow are uncomfortable there. It is ruled by a very loose oligarchy of various beings, mostly monstrous, and disputes among them are settled outside the walls only. It is true that you will anger factions of Skullport, but you should not fear the truly powerful, who have greater concerns than a single slave shipment. We have not acted in Skullport in some time, allowing tempers to cool, so your operation should meet with little to no organised resistance, providing that you do not anger any major power groups while you are there."
    Last edited by darkpuppy; 2011-06-26 at 11:24 PM.

Vale of Shadows OOC
    Vale of Shadows IC

29. - Top - End - #29

still listening to the conversations and last questions, Zarae walked to a desk and set it down on top, looking over the map, which allowed anyone to walk over and look with her.
    "what kinda journey would it be if some pompous overlord didnt get ticked?" she jested, without looking up from studying the map,
    "alright, the portal's here and here, that puts the minotaurs in this area," also reading the instructions.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (in which language?)
    Last edited by Zarae; 2011-06-26 at 11:26 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Reading the map, Zarae notes that the journey begins as would a normal journey to Skullport, travelling southwest, but goes to the east after a short while. The instructions are written in common, and show that, for the first portal, the heart of a unicorn must be placed on a small pedestal in front of the door at night. Then the journey resumes southward, and the second portal requires the index fingers of five thieves to be placed in a specific pattern in front of the portal at highsun, then the individuals wishing to go through the portal must keep the arrangement in view as they back through. Finally, travelling west to Skullport. The journey could theoretically take only one day, but a rest at the wrong time could delay things. Obviously, the Promenade expects trouble, especially since the area of the map surrounding the first portal is marked "Headsplinter Minotaur Territory"

Vale of Shadows OOC
    Vale of Shadows IC