New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default GitP NPC Contest I (Chat Thread)

This is the official chat thread for Giant in the Playground's first NPC contest. All new questions and comments should be directed to this thread.
    Last edited by Agrippa; 2011-07-15 at 02:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    It's worse than the time some friends used a silver piece, a platinum piece, a delayed blast fireball and a scroll of passwall to make a nuclear explosion in a game...
    Quote Originally Posted by nagora View Post
    Chatter is usually a sign that it's time to break out the Lego pirates and start firing marbles at each other's ships instead of role playing. Some nights, we're just not in the mood!
    My fantasy/RPG blog A Voyage Into the Fantastic

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: GitP NPC Contest I (Chat Thread)

This message didn't post the first time I tried, and now (due to outside events) I am in a bad mood so this will be terse.

You have a repeated sentence at the end of requirement 6.

Requiring a specific source of inspiration seems a pointless and creativity limiting requirement.

Explain the PF feat rules or post a link to the part of the PF SRD that covers them. This will get you a lot more entries.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Since this is an "NPC" contest, does that mean that only NPC classes may be used?
    Or is it just a build challenge in an attempt to build up a repertoire of NPCs?
    Is any homebrew allowed? If not, wouldn't this go in Roleplaying Games, not homebrew?

Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    Since this is an "NPC" contest, does that mean that only NPC classes may be used?
    Or is it just a build challenge in an attempt to build up a repertoire of NPCs?
    Is any homebrew allowed? If not, wouldn't this go in Roleplaying Games, not homebrew?
    This is a challenge to build up NPCs using PC classes. And yes homebrew is allowed. Also prestige classes treated as continuations of the qualifying base class instead of different classes themselves. I'll explain it better later.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Requiring a specific source of inspiration seems a pointless and creativity limiting requirement.
    Even is the contestant decides what to use for inspiration?

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Explain the PF feat rules or post a link to the part of the PF SRD that covers them. This will get you a lot more entries.
    By PF feat progression I mean one feat every two levels instead of every three.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    It's worse than the time some friends used a silver piece, a platinum piece, a delayed blast fireball and a scroll of passwall to make a nuclear explosion in a game...
    Quote Originally Posted by nagora View Post
    Chatter is usually a sign that it's time to break out the Lego pirates and start firing marbles at each other's ships instead of role playing. Some nights, we're just not in the mood!
    My fantasy/RPG blog A Voyage Into the Fantastic

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Agrippa View Post
    Even is the contestant decides what to use for inspiration?
    Yes. I have entered several contests (mostly VT's monster contests) on these boards over the years, and for most of them I had no external inspiration except the contest description itself. There were some exceptions I could list, but for the most part I come up with very original stuff. Not to say that the stuff that was sparked by (or in one case out and out translated from) an external source is any worse, but it would be a noticable constriction of my creativity to have to have an external source.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agrippa View Post
    By PF feat progression I mean one feat every two levels instead of every three.
    Might be good to say that in the contest thread for the benefit of people who don't read this one before deciding whether to enter or not.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I was considering entering until I read the multiclassing stuff. Sorry, but if I'm going to make a build for a contest I'd prefer to use the standard means of doing so. Were I to try using said multiclassing system I'd probably screw it up somehow and in any case I have absolutely no experience with it.

Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    I was considering entering until I read the multiclassing stuff. Sorry, but if I'm going to make a build for a contest I'd prefer to use the standard means of doing so. Were I to try using said multiclassing system I'd probably screw it up somehow and in any case I have absolutely no experience with it.
    Ah, just wonderful. Well if you do change your mind I can give some help with my multiclassing system so you don't screw up. But that's fine if you don't want to join.