New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XII: No One Can Groove Like the Girls with the Hooves

Today feels so weird, pony thread. I don't know what I'm supposed to do.

I haven't gotten a single submission, haven't dug through a pile of pictures and thought about what the best comment for each one would be. I haven't given a lick of thought to new themes, and I haven't really done much of anything that could be considered creative. Mostly I've just rested.

And after a day of resting, I have never felt more burned out and exhausted than I do right now. What gives?

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: My Little Pony XII: No One Can Groove Like the Girls with the Hooves

Quote Originally Posted by AThousandWords View Post
    Noooo why are there only 26 episodes ;-;
    If it's any consolation, you're in good company. We're waiting for season 2, as well.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

And now it begins. The new brony has run out of official material to slake his thirst, and must drink from other springs. Except all the springs are full of delicious contaminants and other such crazies. Dementia should set in within a few days.

And then he will be compleat.

@Phoe: You've been overclocking yourself for a month now. I expect you've been running on pure willpower and whatever sugar/energy drinks/friendship you can get into your bloodstream. That's what it would take for me anyway.

And now you've just abruptly stopped. This is the mental/physical equivalent of trying to change gears from High to Park at highway speeds. There's bound to be some gears grinding and whatnot, although the risk of automobile accidents is admittedly much lower.
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2011-06-26 at 08:39 PM.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Banned

And before I forget (again);

Spoiler
    Show

The thrilling conclusion to the Sad Luna Comic
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2011-06-27 at 12:28 AM.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post

I haven't gotten a single submission, haven't dug through a pile of pictures and thought about what the best comment for each one would be. I haven't given a lick of thought to new themes, and I haven't really done much of anything that could be considered creative. Mostly I've just rested.

And after a day of resting, I have never felt more burned out and exhausted than I do right now. What gives?
    In my experience, it's actually a natural thing. The body and mind has the ability to put off things like stress and exhaustion until it can effectively deal with them, when it's not interfering with things that need doing.

Since there isn't any need for you to be at your top form and work towards something, there's no need for you to put off feeling that burn out.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Banned

Dive back about 20 pages, and drink in the Pony.

Relax.
    Close your eyes.

Feel that you are still with the pony.

Turn inward your discernment. Feel that there is pony within, though you are within the pony.

You are the pony.

Be Compleat.
    Failing that, we can all draw lots and then continue sending one to three arts a night, and help you wean yourself off of the fanartz.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Firbolg in the Playground

Meh, just go with it. When something starts being a job it stops being a hobby.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

8. - Top - End - #368
    Troll in the Playground

I know what you mean. When you have something to do, you're focused and alert, but as soon as that stimulus is dropped, BAM, sleepytime. It's how I always feel when I go home after finals week.

Oooh ooh! I know! You could read Always Sunny! I'd considered asking if you'd read it, but obviously didn't want to bug you while you were artist training.

... and now I feel bad about my attention whoring ways.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-06-26 at 08:49 PM.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

9. - Top - End - #369
    Bugbear in the Playground

This should be the official brony welcome from now on.
    "Winning with friendship means winning at life!"
    -Mako Mankanshoku

10. - Top - End - #370
    Barbarian in the Playground

You know...going through the episodes once more... im not quite sure why i loved the show... but yet i still do. I think i love the fan material more then the show its-self.

11. - Top - End - #371

GnomeWizardGuy

Take a look at Equestria Daily, and relish the fact that we're getting a second season soon. (Check the first post for the link, and to preserve Trixie's poor heart.)

It sounds like you need more than just a day to recover. Perhaps you should relax. Enjoy some tea. Get some fresh air. Take a break from ponies for a day or so?

As for the no submissions, didn't you just run a large fanfiction contest immediately after a 30-day art contest? I think that you tapped everyone out for at least a day or two.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kairaven View Post
    I like it.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I've had days like that. Usually, it's the thought of something big on my plate that makes me want to jump back into bed. Just take it easy if you have the time. We appreciate what you do, but nopony is cracking a whip at you to keep working. Pushing yourself past your limits isn't going to help matters.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Troll in the Playground

What they said. ... also sorry about my attention whoring.

It's like Sting keeps trying to tell me, I don't have to put out the red light... but I just can't stop The Life.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

15. - Top - End - #375
    Troll in the Playground

@Thread: I go away for a day to play some D&D and you go out of control! Also, why do you continue to reference Lovecraft and Sweeney Todd and other fun things when I'm NOT AROUND?! It hurts... *faux sad*
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    @Thread: I go away for a day to play some D&D and you go out of control! Also, why do you continue to reference Lovecraft and Sweeney Todd and other fun things when I'm NOT AROUND?! It hurts... *faux sad*
    Yay! Somepony got the reference! *utterly ridiculous happy dance*

Aw, don't be sad Mr. Droid! We saved you a hat and everything!
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2011-06-26 at 09:12 PM.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Dwarf in the Playground

bummer right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kairaven View Post
    nah i think it should be this
    Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    I know right? Soooo many posts...

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EsperDerek View Post
    In my experience, it's actually a natural thing. The body and mind has the ability to put off things like stress and exhaustion until it can effectively deal with them, when it's not interfering with things that need doing.

Since there isn't any need for you to be at your top form and work towards something, there's no need for you to put off feeling that burn out.
    That... that makes a large degree of sense. I'm familiar with the phenomenon, even, I just didn't really think it would ever apply to something like ponies. Or maybe I was just severely underrating how hard I was actually pushing myself to stay on top of that event. It's like running a marathon and thinking you just walked to the store.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

Dive back about 20 pages, and drink in the Pony.

Relax.
    Close your eyes.

Feel that you are still with the pony.

Turn inward your discernment. Feel that there is pony within, though you are within the pony.

You are the pony.

Be Compleat.
    Failing that, we can all draw lots and then continue sending one to three arts a night, and help you wean yourself off of the fanartz.
    "I am the pony" is kind of where a lot of my problems started, y'know.

I'm basically incapable of distinguishing myself from Shimmer anymore. Which I guess is nice because it helps me feel pretty. On the hoof, this whole not having fingers business is darned inconvenient.

Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    What they said. ... also sorry about my attention whoring.

It's like Sting keeps trying to tell me, I don't have to put out the red light... but I just can't stop The Life.
    Hey don't worry about it. I needed the reminder that I had been putting off that story anyway. Although I'm sorry to say I'm probably going to have to put it off at least one more day while my brain turns itself back into a brain and not scrambled eggs. I know you wrote a ton for that one; I wanna actually be able to process it.

Also, not 2 minutes after my last post, the following appeared in my in-box. I'm sharing it because the words are really beautiful:

Spoiler
    Show
    Dear Princess Phoe,

Yes, I'm still in the habit of writing to you like that.

I was just about to turn in for the night, snuggling up under the covers after a whirlwind of messages through the new ATG Alumni group when I realized that when I woke up at my usual ungodly hour there would be no Training Grounds post soon to follow. No hundreds of fun, original pieces of artwork to peruse, no witty comments from our host to accompany them, and no extra long comments section full of our peers making shout-outs to their favorite submissions. For the first time I felt genuinely sad that the event had come to a close.

Then I thought of you, our host, who had spent so much time and energy to make it as wonderful as you could, who made a labor of love out of sorting through submission after submission giving feedback and encouragement, coming up with fun new themes for us to try, and making a routine out of it all. Now that routine is a memory. I realized that as bad as I might feel, you might be feeling even worse. As much as you must be looking forward to getting some consistent, well deserved sleep (trust me, I know the feeling) you're in the same boat as the rest of us.

I just wanted to send you something to say you're not alone, and that even though the event has ended it's still influencing the pony fanart world. I can't speak for anyone else, but within hours of the event ending I learned that someone had colored one of my submissions, and someone else sent me a request for a Nightmare Moon piece that, if all goes well, is going to look absolutely beautiful.

So don't go to bed longing, and don't wake up disappointed. Even though the event is done, everyone who was touched by your inspirational work is still reveling in it's wake.

Your former (though still quite faithful) event participant,
    [Name Removed]

Bronies are kind of amazing.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Yay! Somepony got the reference! *utterly ridiculous happy dance*

Aw, don't be sad Mr. Droid! We saved you a hat and everything!
    You might actually be disturbed by my capacity to recognize and/or quote from that particular movie...
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

20. - Top - End - #380
    Troll in the Playground

Take all the time you need, Phoe. Since you'd made a joking comment on it at someone on ED, I thought you'd read it and a review had slipped your mind.

And I am honestly tempted to try and mouse-draw something tonight for a "sorry I missed the entire training ground" thing.

The only suitable subject, it seems to me, is Pinkie Pie as a Slowpoke with the subtitle "Day 1: Draw a Pony". But I don't wanna draw that.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-06-26 at 09:41 PM.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Banned

Al~Falfa!

Alfalfa is the warm cockles feeling, right? Never quite sure ofthe direct analog.

I am horrible at giving up pony threads to do other work.

EDIT: oh! OH OH OH! I've been waiting to ask his since day six!
    You said you were gonna drop one of your planned themes in order to make up for (think it was) Sethisto having us draw winged ponies.

What was the discarded theme?! please don't tell me you threw it in anyway. You had to cut something, somewhere, right? I need to know!
    Also I might draw that slowpone maybe we will have to see
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2011-06-26 at 09:47 PM.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Troll in the Playground

Al~Falfa!

Alfalfa is the warm cockles feeling, right? Never quite sure ofthe direct analog.

I am horrible at giving up pony threads to do other work.
    Alfalfa has no equivalent in human emotions. Only ponies and falcons can comprehend it.

And honestly, a symptom of my Silly treatment is a reduced ability to feel alfalfa. And that just makes me monocle.

23. - Top - End - #383

GnomeWizardGuy

Well, I think that's it from me tonight.
    As I talked quite a bit today, let me leave the thread on a high note.
    Dance the night away, everyone. And sleep well.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ettin in the Playground

I rarely feel alfalfa. Mostly I feel moostache. Or maybe even moooooooostache.

What's that, Fluttershy?

Quote Originally Posted by Fluttershy
    Hush now, quiet now
    It's time to lay your sleepy head
    Hush now, quiet now
    It's time to go to bed

Drift drift off to sleep
    Exciting day behind you
    Drift drift off to sleep
    Let the joy of dreamland find you

Hush now, quiet now
    It's time to lay your sleepy head
    Hush now, quiet now
    It's time to go to bed
    *yawn* If you say so, Flutter *snore*
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ettin in the Playground

EDIT: oh! OH OH OH! I've been waiting to ask his since day six!
    You said you were gonna drop one of your planned themes in order to make up for (think it was) Sethisto having us draw winged ponies.

What was the discarded theme?! please don't tell me you threw it in anyway. You had to cut something, somewhere, right? I need to know!
    Also I might draw that slowpone maybe we will have to see
    Two themes were discarded for various reasons:

- Draw a pony climbing
    - Draw a pony committing a crime

And one more theme that was never seriously considered because it's way too self indulgent:

- Draw a pony shrinking/draw a tiny pony

For no reason, have a series of Lyra images that tell a story:

With apologies to DBC (and Octavia), this is now canon for me.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Troll in the Playground

- Draw a pony climbing

And one more theme that was never seriously considered because it's way too self indulgent:

Ah well.

Flugel: What did the artist do to mommy? And where are my umlauts?

There there, Flugel. We'll go get you some ice cream.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ettin in the Playground

- Draw a pony climbing

Oh, oh I seen the end of the story. Was pretty... um... yeah, heart-warming I suppose. Though since when Lyra had a foal?

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ogre in the Playground

I like how Twilight is the straightpony to a lot of the insanity that goes on around her. It's a role that fits her well, especially being intelligent, but also somewhat of an outsider. I also like how she manages to do this while still being a caring friend.

In fact, that's one thing I really like about the show - despite the characters' own flaws, they're still good friends to one another. Like how Applejack can be stubborn, Rainbow Dash a braggart and Rarity vain. But when push comes to shove, they're there for one another.

(I left out Pinkie and Fluttershy* because their flaws are both more obvious and less obtrusive, I feel.)

* Also because how could I say anything bad about Flutter? D'awwww.
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Oh, oh I seen the end of the story. Was pretty... um... yeah, heart-warming I suppose. Though since when Lyra had a foal?
    She's one of the two foals seen hopping around during the Winter Wrap Up montage. Fanon named one of those children Dinky Hooves and gave her to Derpy, and the other one was more or less forgotten about because Lyra and Bon Bon are much less popular, but those who cared quietly asserted that foal was their child. Probably through adoption, but with EsperDerek's book floating around Ponyville, honestly who knows?

Also, to be clear, in my head there's one more part to this series where Lyra and Octavia meet up again a month later and talk over how they both said some things they probably shouldn't have, hug, and then have a great day as a family. Because however beautiful the raw emotions in those comics might be, My Little Pony always deserves an unambiguously happy ending.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ettin in the Playground

Because however beautiful the raw emotions in those comics might be, My Little Pony always deserves an unambiguously happy ending.
    This. This. This a hundred times.

I have read too many fanfics, especially crossover ones that offend this key tenet of MLP:FiM. Seriously it's ponies. Why the hell would you wish something bad to happen to them with no obvious happy endings?

(I'm especially careful with this in my own fics.)