New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Default Re: Garen's Fate (IC thread)

Feather chats with a few of the regulars at the cafe, but she seems a little on edge. She gets up and walks around the city a bit to clear her head.

Spoiler
    Show

Gather Info (1d20)[4] for what she might find out while out and about.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ettin in the Playground

Putting his hand's on his hip, Nick watches as the dead man is transfered on to the police cart. After the cart left, he enter's the office and takes a look around it.
    Spot
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+2)[4]
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sagara
    It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
    I did not lie, I wilfully participated in a campaign of misinformation

Murdered by Furthur Maths.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Night View Post
    Feather chats with a few of the regulars at the cafe, but she seems a little on edge. She gets up and walks around the city a bit to clear her head.

Spoiler
    Show

Gather Info [roll0] for what she might find out while out and about.
    you fail to learn anything new or groundbreaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Obvious View Post
    Putting his hand's on his hip, Nick watches as the dead man is transfered on to the police cart. After the cart left, he enter's the office and takes a look around it.
    Spot
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll0]
    You don't see anything interesting or out of the ordinary.
    Feel free to PM me if you want something PEACHed. I may not be one of the greats, but I'll do it if you ask.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    One of us takes vengeance,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

(U)sually in any game situation the biggest control freak will gravitate towards the job of being the GM anyway.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Sam pops in after Nick, letting the door slam behind him to get the officer's attention.

"Long time no see, eh buddy? What've we got here? Murder? Suicide? Homicide? Genocide? Cyanide? The body looked something fierce. Rumor around town is McArthur did it," he rattles off as he noses around the room, looking for clues of his own.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search: (1d20+3)[15]

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

Turning around, Nick say'sLook who's Mr. Happy today? What changed? And really a watch killed a man? What next? Killer vegetables? while chuckling. Pausing for a moment Nick continue's by saying We're not very sure either. His heart just exploded apparently. What do you think?
    Last edited by The_Admiral; 2011-08-01 at 01:38 AM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wuwuwu View Post
    Sam pops in after Nick, letting the door slam behind him to get the officer's attention.

"Long time no see, eh buddy? What've we got here? Murder? Suicide? Homicide? Genocide? Cyanide? The body looked something fierce. Rumor around town is McArthur did it," he rattles off as he noses around the room, looking for clues of his own.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search: [roll0]
    Spoiler
    Show
    You find some papers that have been prepared for the signing over of a deed.
    Feel free to PM me if you want something PEACHed. I may not be one of the greats, but I'll do it if you ask.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

(U)sually in any game situation the biggest control freak will gravitate towards the job of being the GM anyway.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Veyna nodded slowly. Not much point in disputing that. Such was the apathy and languor of almost all nobles she had met in Helvore. They were all so wealthy that, barring something catastrophic like red dragons burning their houses down and murdering their families, they never had to care about anything beyond their own realm. Even if one could be convinced of something, doing so hardly amounted to anything because he or she had no reason to bother striving for anything else. She herself had been an extreme case, striving for nothing besides improving her powers. Coming to Garen's Fate had changed that. Sheer necessity forced her to do everything she could to remain incognito, to learn everything she could about her new environment, to constantly watch her back.

"Yes, of course--not that all of them are that horrible, though. What I meant was if there were any particular individuals or groups you knew, if perhaps what happened to Lady Isabella extended beyond her lone attacker and his group of thugs, but I suppose not."

She might have said that Isabella had done some good, but since Eve had said she had nowhere to go before mentioning the workhouse, Veyna could only assume Dunstan had destroyed it along with its patron.

"Do you know of any other houses that aided her in her efforts? They should be warned posthaste, in case there are some who wish to repeat this."
    Last edited by Feather Sigil; 2011-08-01 at 09:57 AM.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psydon View Post
    Veyna nodded slowly. Not much point in disputing that. Such was the apathy and languor of almost all nobles she had met in Helvore. They were all so wealthy that, barring something catastrophic like red dragons burning their houses down and murdering their families, they never had to care about anything beyond their own realm. Even if one could be convinced of something, doing so hardly amounted to anything because he or she had no reason to bother striving for anything else. She herself had been an extreme case, striving for nothing besides improving her powers. Coming to Garen's Fate had changed that. Sheer necessity forced her to do everything she could to remain incognito, to learn everything she could about her new environment, to constantly watch her back.

"Yes, of course--not that all of them are that horrible, though. What I meant was if there were any particular individuals or groups you knew, if perhaps what happened to Lady Isabella extended beyond her lone attacker and his group of thugs, but I suppose not."

She might have said that Isabella had done some good, but since Eve had said she had nowhere to go before mentioning the workhouse, Veyna could only assume Dunstan had destroyed it along with its patron.

"Do you know of any other houses that aided her in her efforts? They should be warned posthaste, in case there are some who wish to repeat this."
    "There was that Kael boy. Part of some minor noble house, I think it was the Restian house."

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

9. - Top - End - #279
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Putting the breakfast behind the counter: "Hmm, a healing orb ? I might be able to make something to your specifications, but I'll need some time to experiment a bit. My standard delivery time for any order is 1 day up to a week, depending on how soon the task is complete." Stopping for a moment to think about something, Devlan turns towards the man: "Do you, by any chance have a favorite god ? Also, if you want to give any more details about what the item should look like..."
    Last edited by Bayar; 2011-08-01 at 11:00 AM.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Turning around, Nick say'sLook who's Mr. Happy today? What changed? And really a watch killed a man? What next? Killer vegetables? while chuckling. Pausing for a moment Nick continue's by saying We're not very sure either. His heart just exploded apparently. What do you think?

"Oh, you know, invigorated by the dirty morning air of the city. So McArthur is a watch, eh? Somebody has to tell mages to stop giving things intelligence."

He looks down at the desk, seeing a pile of papers.

"Payday! Lookit these papers, Nick. Deed of some sort."

Spoiler
    Show
    Looking over the document, if Sam determines it was the victim signing a deed to someone else:
    "He didn't sign it yet. Looks like somebody didn't want him to sign it over!"

If it was someone signing something over to the victim:
    "He didn't get the other guy to sign it yet. He's probably your suspect."

Also: Closely investigate to see if it's a forgery: (1d20+3)[5]

And finally: What are the names on the document, anyways? Anything suspicious about it?

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bayar View Post
    Putting the breakfast behind the counter: "Hmm, a healing orb ? I might be able to make something to your specifications, but I'll need some time to experiment a bit. My standard delivery time for any order is 1 day up to a week, depending on how soon the task is complete." Stopping for a moment to think about something, Devlan turns towards the man: "Do you, by any chance have a favorite god ? Also, if you want to give any more details about what the item should look like..."
    "I am personally a follower of no god that I would have emblazoned for all to see. What you decide upon for form will inform my choices for design."

"Oh, you know, invigorated by the dirty morning air of the city. So McArthur is a watch, eh? Somebody has to tell mages to stop giving things intelligence."

He looks down at the desk, seeing a pile of papers.

"Payday! Lookit these papers, Nick. Deed of some sort."

Spoiler
    Show
    Looking over the document, if Sam determines it was the victim signing a deed to someone else:
    "He didn't sign it yet. Looks like somebody didn't want him to sign it over!"

If it was someone signing something over to the victim:
    "He didn't get the other guy to sign it yet. He's probably your suspect."

Also: Closely investigate to see if it's a forgery: [roll0]

And finally: What are the names on the document, anyways? Anything suspicious about it?
    The papers have three names you don't know, Jacob Cranston (lawyer who drew them up), Francis Helsing (signing over property), and Hector Opal (buying property).

Spoiler
    Show
    The papers seem genuine.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

12. - Top - End - #282
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Sam looks around for something to write with. Spying the inkwell and paper on the desk, he grabs for the pen, quickly dipping it and scribbling down the names (sloppily) on a blank paper.

"Well, nice chatting with you, Nick, but I've got crimes to solve, solves to crime, and all that whatever I do," Sam says as he blows the ink dry, folds the paper up into his belt pouch, and briskly steps out the door.

A moment later, he steps back in. Bashfully, he sets the original deed on the desk, points at Nick with a cheesy smile, making a clicking noise with his tongue, "Tch-Tch", and leaving again.

Walking towards the closest lawyer's office he can think of, he examines the three names on the paper closely.

"Hmm, so we got a Jacobi Grenst....q? n? That's not right! Jaeopd? Nope. Oh, that last bit's a smudge. Jacob... Gr...Gran....Granston? That's the lawyer. Yeesh, this handwriting! Who wrote this, a troll?"

Upon arriving at the lawyer's office, he begins asking around for information on where he can find Jacob Granston.

"You don't know any Granstons? Cranston? Okay, where is he?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Gather Information: (1d20+9)[21] (burning an inspiration point). Takes (1d4+1)[3] hours.
    Last edited by wuwuwu; 2011-08-02 at 05:45 PM.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

Sam looks around for something to write with. Spying the inkwell and paper on the desk, he grabs for the pen, quickly dipping it and scribbling down the names (sloppily) on a blank paper.

"Well, nice chatting with you, Nick, but I've got crimes to solve, solves to crime, and all that whatever I do," Sam says as he blows the ink dry, folds the paper up into his belt pouch, and briskly steps out the door.

A moment later, he steps back in. Bashfully, he sets the original deed on the desk, points at Nick with a cheesy smile, making a clicking noise with his tongue, "Tch-Tch", and leaving again.

Walking towards the closest lawyer's office he can think of, he examines the three names on the paper closely.

"Hmm, so we got a Jacobi Grenst....q? n? That's not right! Jaeopd? Nope. Oh, that last bit's a smudge. Jacob... Gr...Gran....Granston? That's the lawyer. Yeesh, this handwriting! Who wrote this, a troll?"

Upon arriving at the lawyer's office, he begins asking around for information on where he can find Jacob Granston.

"You don't know any Granstons? Cranston? Okay, where is he?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Gather Information: [roll0] (burning an inspiration point). Takes [roll1] hours.
    He is set in the direction of one Jacob Cranston, who is currently dining on an early lunch at the Gorgon's Tail.
    Last edited by Sir_Chivalry; 2011-08-02 at 11:16 PM.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, I think I'll buy one vial of universal solvent - 50 gp

Elias's shopping is even less enjoyable than in days past. Garen's Fate was big and boisterous, and it was unsettling how one lonely soul could vanish so easily into the throng.

After leaving the shop, his coin purse is very slightly lighter. He could go home and dissolve the remains of that experiment, but it was far too early for that. Alton Kerik might be lost to the winds, but that doesn't mean I have to let it ruin the rest of my day.

He remembers the beautiful watch that their dwarf employer, Durin, had been toying with yesterday. I wonder how much something like that would cost. Elias doesn't normally splurge on luxuries -- the last nice thing he bought for himself was a soft-boiled egg. But for some reason, today he felt the urge to splurge. After all, it wasn't every day that you got to watch an actual dragon in action -- and Elias is convinced that the lady Dawn was a dragon under some sort of permanent metamorphosis.

After this, I'll go home, clean up that mess, and actually write that report for my day job. Elias vows to himself.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+4)[23] (Gather Information to find a ritzy watchmaker in the city)

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Steward View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, I think I'll buy one vial of universal solvent - 50 gp

Elias's shopping is even less enjoyable than in days past. Garen's Fate was big and boisterous, and it was unsettling how one lonely soul could vanish so easily into the throng.

After leaving the shop, his coin purse is very slightly lighter. He could go home and dissolve the remains of that experiment, but it was far too early for that. Alton Kerik might be lost to the winds, but that doesn't mean I have to let it ruin the rest of my day.

He remembers the beautiful watch that their dwarf employer, Durin, had been toying with yesterday. I wonder how much something like that would cost. Elias doesn't normally splurge on luxuries -- the last nice thing he bought for himself was a soft-boiled egg. But for some reason, today he felt the urge to splurge. After all, it wasn't every day that you got to watch an actual dragon in action -- and Elias is convinced that the lady Dawn was a dragon under some sort of permanent metamorphosis.

After this, I'll go home, clean up that mess, and actually write that report for my day job. Elias vows to himself.

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll0] (Gather Information to find a ritzy watchmaker in the city)
    You learn of one place called McArthur's . . .

When you arrive you see an elderly man being led away by the guard.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ettin in the Playground

Shaking his head, Nick write's down the name's on the list on anothe piece of paper and walk's back to the station to get a warrent and hopefully ID the victim.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #287

Kobold

"Well, I was thinking of an amulet. Also, was hoping that by praying to a god that has yourself as a follower it might be easier to maintain the enchantment. I guess that tapping the powers of nature or funneling energy from the Arcane Plane might work as well in that case."
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

Shaking his head, Nick write's down the name's on the list on anothe piece of paper and walk's back to the station to get a warrent and hopefully ID the victim.
    Nick reaches the station. The person at the desk looks at him and smirks slightly.

"You look tired. Out all night? What d'ya need?"

"Well, I was thinking of an amulet. Also, was hoping that by praying to a god that has yourself as a follower it might be easier to maintain the enchantment. I guess that tapping the powers of nature or funneling energy from the Arcane Plane might work as well in that case."
    "Well, if I was to say I worshipped some less conventional god, would that be a problem?"

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

19. - Top - End - #289

Kobold

"Not at all ! Personally, I have no favorites. Always made me be at odds with my father."
    Last edited by Bayar; 2011-08-03 at 04:20 PM.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

"Not at all ! Personally, I have no favorites. Always made me be at odds with my father."
    "And if the worship of this god were . . . illegal? I'm telling you in confidence of course."
    Last edited by Sir_Chivalry; 2011-08-03 at 04:21 PM.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

21. - Top - End - #291

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Chivalry View Post
    "And if the worship of this god were . . . illegal? I'm telling you in confidence of course."
    "Then ignorance is bliss I'd say. Not that I won't mind making the items to the specifications of my clients, but better not attract the attention of the local law enforcement just for cosmetics or convenience." Devlan gives a wide grin to the man. "Anyway, I'd be able to deliver the item once it is finished, provided I have an adress Mister...."

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

"Then ignorance is bliss I'd say. Not that I won't mind making the items to the specifications of my clients, but better not attract the attention of the local law enforcement just for cosmetics or convenience." Devlan gives a wide grin to the man. "Anyway, I'd be able to deliver the item once it is finished, provided I have an adress Mister...."
    "Restian. Mr. Restian. And thank you."

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

23. - Top - End - #293

Kobold

"Restian. Mr. Restian. And thank you."
    "Well, Master Restian,"<retrieving an inkpen and ink vial together with some parchment from under the counter> "if you care to list any more details about the item, like type of metal for the chain or style of the amulet's body, and a suitable location where I could make the delivery, we'll gladly seal the deal."

After a moment's thought:

"If I'm not so rude in asking, in what form will you provide payment ?""

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, you have got to be kidding me! Elias thinks as he sees an old man -- probably the watchmaker -- being led away in handcuffs. It was almost as if the city was conspiring to keep everything away from him today. Without even thinking about what he's doing, he strides off towards the watchmen and their prisoner.

"Ahh... excuse me, please! What's all this in aid of?" He asks in his poshest voice.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, Master Restian,"<retrieving an inkpen and ink vial together with some parchment from under the counter> "if you care to list any more details about the item, like type of metal for the chain or style of the amulet's body, and a suitable location where I could make the delivery, we'll gladly seal the deal."

After a moment's thought:

"If I'm not so rude in asking, in what form will you provide payment ?""
    "Payment will be in gold bars, if acceptable. I'd prefer simple steel if possible, a circular disk. You may make the delivery at the Aldan Warehouse near the Hematite Cross."

Oh, you have got to be kidding me! Elias thinks as he sees an old man -- probably the watchmaker -- being led away in handcuffs. It was almost as if the city was conspiring to keep everything away from him today. Without even thinking about what he's doing, he strides off towards the watchmen and their prisoner.

"Ahh... excuse me, please! What's all this in aid of?" He asks in his poshest voice.
    "Mr. McArthur here is under arrest for suspiscion of the murder of Hector Opal."

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

26. - Top - End - #296
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

He is set in the direction of one Jacob Cranston, who is currently dining on an early lunch at the Gorgon's Tail.
    Sam takes the quick way - no, the other quick way - to - on second thought he'll go that quick way - to the Gorgon's Tail. Fluidly weaving through the crowded streets like a fish in a stream, he felt almost... joyful. Taking a big whiff as he crossed through a garbage-laden alley, he grimaced with a smile.

Everything about the city, from it's smells to it's people, were just... perfect. There was no other way to describe it. If this was some small rural town, it would be disgusting. Two unbathed hillbillies and a goat, surrounded by the smell of manure (Sam was pretty sure the peasants out there made houses out of the stuff), with no place to buy or sell anything for a hundred miles. Not the place for old Sammy, not at all. Sam much preferred thousands of unbathed peasants, with streets full of manure, but at least the buildings were classy (well, some were), and the people spoke with a proper accent (some of them).

Lost in thought, Sam almost missed a turn, but quickly realized and corrected his mistake. The city was like a maze, sure, but Sam was the minotaur. He had an innate sense of where to go and when to go. Nobody could move through the city better than Sam.

Arriving at the Gorgon's Tail, Sam uncharacteristically decides to let the man eat his lunch, and waits for the most lawyer-y looking man to exit the building.

"Probably should have asked for a description."

Sam lights a smoke, and waits.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot, to notice anything that would peg someone as a lawyer or as Cranston (an embroidered handkerchief, or an engraved watch, for instance): (1d20+6)[26]

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

Sam takes the quick way - no, the other quick way - to - on second thought he'll go that quick way - to the Gorgon's Tail. Fluidly weaving through the crowded streets like a fish in a stream, he felt almost... joyful. Taking a big whiff as he crossed through a garbage-laden alley, he grimaced with a smile.

Everything about the city, from it's smells to it's people, were just... perfect. There was no other way to describe it. If this was some small rural town, it would be disgusting. Two unbathed hillbillies and a goat, surrounded by the smell of manure (Sam was pretty sure the peasants out there made houses out of the stuff), with no place to buy or sell anything for a hundred miles. Not the place for old Sammy, not at all. Sam much preferred thousands of unbathed peasants, with streets full of manure, but at least the buildings were classy (well, some were), and the people spoke with a proper accent (some of them).

Lost in thought, Sam almost missed a turn, but quickly realized and corrected his mistake. The city was like a maze, sure, but Sam was the minotaur. He had an innate sense of where to go and when to go. Nobody could move through the city better than Sam.

Arriving at the Gorgon's Tail, Sam uncharacteristically decides to let the man eat his lunch, and waits for the most lawyer-y looking man to exit the building.

"Probably should have asked for a description."

Sam lights a smoke, and waits.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot, to notice anything that would peg someone as a lawyer or as Cranston (an embroidered handkerchief, or an engraved watch, for instance): [roll0]
    As he waits, several men leave the Gorgon's Tail, but just as Sam begins to approach, a man walks up to him and straight into him, knocking him off balance. When Sam looks at the middle-aged man, he is dressed in sombre and dark colours, and has blonde hair with a light beard and moustache. His hand rests on a rapier at his belt.

"Hello."

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

Murder? Elias's eyes pop out even more than usual. Gods, I thought we got rid of the murderer in this city yesterday!

"That's not true, is it?" Elias asks Macarthur.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Sam scrambles back, and raises his arms in the air to show he doesn't mean any harm.

"D'you happen to be Mr. Jacob Cranston?"
    Last edited by wuwuwu; 2011-08-03 at 09:31 PM.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

Murder? Elias's eyes pop out even more than usual. Gods, I thought we got rid of the murderer in this city yesterday!

"That's not true, is it?" Elias asks Macarthur.
    "It's not true! It's not! I don't know how that watch exploded!!"

Sam takes a step back, and raises his arms in the air to show he doesn't mean any harm.

"D'you happen to be Mr. Jacob Cranston?"
    "I might be. I might be Jasper Pennicraw also."

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew