New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Restored to Rule [IC]

OOC

On the noon of the first day of summer, the air over Kronburg was thick with dust and sweat and heavy with noise. The big city was bustling with soldiers, laborers, idlers and travelers. From the palace atop Midriver Hill, these people seemed like ants, crawling through narrow pathways. Shielded from the heat and dust in a cool marble room of the east wing, six friends sat around an oval table, laden with with all manner of exotic refreshments. A servant placed another tray of grapes, bowed and retreated toward the door. Somewhere in the distance, the bells rang at the church of Pelor. On the wall, a huge portrait of Alaric I overlooked the little group.

The first king of Galadorn was depicted in his traditional pose, bow slung over his shoulder and one foot placed on his most recent kill, in this case a giant sabertooth tiger. On his head, the Crown of Kings glistened with gold, similar to the one a certain Galen was wearing right now in his throne room not more than two hundred paces away - although Galen's one was obviously a replica, as Shalana took the real Crown of Kings away with him.

Before anyone could properly enjoy the new batch of grapes, the servant returned with haste. My lord, your cousin begs audience. Behind him, the hunched form of Joanna slowly shuffled into the room. She stood before the table, and coughed once. Then she coughed a second time. For only a moment, she raised her eyes to look at Kallen, or possibly at the grapes, and then immediately focused on her right shoe. The church bells chose to cease ringing at the exact same moment, and the silence was becoming uncomfortable.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Restored to Rule [IC]

Finnlay Edgewater

Finnlay sits as close to Kallen as possible, uncomfortable, but not showing it. Years of Edgewater training-both the elegant ways of the nobility, and the harsh old ways of the Edgewater tribe-block any emotion. He bows his head to Joanna, then resumes his careful watch of the room.

Spoiler
    Show
    I hate to be the guy who makes a spot or search check every five seconds, but Finnlay is actively looking around to see if there are any hidden doors or view holes. He's heard tales of dungeons that pump deadly gasses in through tiny holes.
    Search (1d20+5)[21]
    GLORIOUS SOVIET SNAIL SUPERTECHNOLOGY

Comrade L.E.S.S. by The Mad Hatter!

Quote Originally Posted by Viper9090 View Post
    My weirdest nightmare has just been replaced.
    (Recaiden) He lives!
    (Firedaemon33) Ia! Ia! TechnoScrabble F'Taghn!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Blond haired and blue eyed Poul acted like he had not a care in the world. Smiling slightly as Joanna comes in. He sips some wine from his glass, Poul speaks "Well hello, Joanna for what purpose do you grant us presence".
    Last edited by WyvernLord; 2012-05-03 at 12:01 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Red-haired and violet-eyed, Rurithel sits at one end of the table. In place of armor she wears not silk, but a less expensive linen garment. While still by no means commoner clothing, it is the sort of distinction an attentive courtier might pick up on. She wears dark gloves, a cloak despite the heat, and no veil. A longsword is belted to her waist.

Closing her mouth on whatever she might have said, Rurithel takes a quick look at the princess, and then looks to the prince for his reaction.

OOC: Sense Motive (1d20)[15]

I'm not sure if it's customary in Galadorn to stand when royalty walks in, but if it is, Rurithel will get up to do honor to the princess even if no one else will.
    The Refounding OOC IC
    Here be Dragons

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    "Cold is better for cooking food than heat!"=wrong. As simple as that.
    Quote Originally Posted by moritheil View Post
    But we even have real world examples of cold cooking, so is it so unreasonable to say that in a fantasy world that could be the norm and that cold COULD be better than heat for cooking?

You can produce several million pounds of Tarrasque steak every day! (Better hope he's edible.)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

The game warden wasn't sitting with the others; instead, he'd been standing for just about the whole of the morning here, watching the idyl of the honest heir. Blackhand's facial expression was one of vacant goodwill, the look of a happy man with no cares in the world around people he liked. The clothing the huntsman wore was paradoxical; its cut and fashion was very simple, certainly plain in light of the usual fluff and frill of the court. On the other hand, it was -black-, and to dye a garment such cost a sum far beyond the reach of the rest of the garment's make.

Was he actually welcome at that table? Maybe. Maybe. But he sure as sin wasn't comfortable at it. It wasn't the others who sat there, oh no. The room was too big; it didn't matter where you sat at the damn thing, your back was left far, far too open. He didn't like that feeling one bit. So instead, Mattias stood. With his back to the wall, his eyes not quite looking at anything, his hands crossed behind him, the foreigner simply keeps watch as the princess arrives, silent and unobtrusive.

Spoiler
    Show
    On the note of," That guy who always Spot rolls ", Matty here has a feat that lets him do Spot and Listen checks -constantly-; so you can consider those two covered pretty solidly at all times.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Rurithel
    Spoiler
    Show
    The princess seems even more embarrased and rigid than she does usually. She really wants to say something of importance, and yet she doesn't ...

Finnlay
    Spoiler
    Show
    As the others were talking and drinking, you were randomly tapping your fingers against the wall for no particular reason. There's one area underneath the portrait that sounds hollow.

Sneaking a glance at each of you in turn, the Princess squeezes out of herself, you are all Lord Kallen's friends, right? You should all come with us to Plessie. For the ...

Mattias
    Spoiler
    Show
    She exhales the last word so quietly that only you can hear it. ... wedding.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Thomas à Becket

The Archbishop, an ascetic, stands up out of respect for the lady who has just entered the chamber. Thomas dons what appears to be a simple black habit and a black biretta without a tuft [a small hat worn by clergy and more often by higher religious officers], and the silver holy symbol of Wee Jas hangs from around his neck. Only this large symbol and his ornate ring betrays his humble exterior and reveals that his is the highest religious authority in the kingdom.

As he waits for the Heir's response, Thomas stands and makes an appropriate gesture of greeting to Joanne. He fondly thinks back to the time when he first held her in his arms, back before he was appointed Archbishop, before her father and him walked the road to become political enemies...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Finnlay occasionally glances to the portrait, standing near Kallen and positioning himself to view the entire room if he can. He stares silently at Joanna for a few moments, then uncrosses his arms.
    "Sorry, I'm merely an 'emissary' from the Edgewaters, here to check up on his Lordship. Wherever Kallen goes, however, I shall go."

Finnaly is currently wearing his armor. He doesn't feel comfortable out of it, but he has kept his clothes clean during his visit. His sword is on his hip, but he hasn't had to draw it in these last few days.

(Recaiden) He lives!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

9. - Top - End - #9

Poul gestures wildly exclaiming excitedly, "Now who would miss it? I would not miss it for the world."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Know Nobility check to find out who she is talking about.
    (1d20+11)[16]
    Last edited by WyvernLord; 2012-05-03 at 09:28 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Mattias still waits, silent, for the decision of his employer. If the prince seems to have had trouble understanding the words of the princess, he'll have to contrive some means of making it clear what she said without embarrassing (and antagonizing ) her. But most likely, he'll simply be holding his tongue while the nobility jaws.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Joanna's jaws clenched together, pushing her pale lips into a semblance of a smile. That's good. Will you be Kall... Lord Kallen's best man?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Rurithel continues to stand, waiting for some better hint as to what exactly is going on. Surely the term 'best man' implies some very formal contract . . . a wedding? The prince is getting married? And to use the title of 'Lord' rather than 'Prince' . . . is he being married out of the royal house, then?

Though her thoughts race, she tries to keep her face as still as she can.
    The Refounding OOC IC
    Here be Dragons

Spoiler
    Show
    But we even have real world examples of cold cooking, so is it so unreasonable to say that in a fantasy world that could be the norm and that cold COULD be better than heat for cooking?

You can produce several million pounds of Tarrasque steak every day! (Better hope he's edible.)

13. - Top - End - #13

As Kallen.
    "Excuse me, Joanna I was drinking. Can you repeat what you said?"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

She blinks at Kallen, then utters the longest speech she ever spoke in recent memory. My Lord, I thought you knew... didn't father tell you? I thought he told you. He decreed that we are to be married on the morrow. When we reach Plessie. You and I. Married to each other. He said it's great honor for you. To be married into his family, that is. But if he didn't tell you ... I guess we shouldn't be talking. I'm sorry. I will leave now.

She turns around and hobbles out of the hall as quickly as her stunted legs allow.

[unless anyone takes proactive action to cause otherwise, she leaves]

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Finnlay waits until she's out of the room, then coughs.
    "Well thod's just cruel, not boddering to tell you. Poor girl's probably godd her feelings all in a bunch and-"
    He peers oddly at Kallen.
    "Wait, you two are already related, right? I mean, you're Galen's nephew, son ah th-"

Finnlay looks about the room. Maybe he shouldn't finish that sentence, if Galen's listening in, he probably doesn't want the subject to be spoken of. He crosses his arms back over and resumes his steely glare over the room.

(Recaiden) He lives!

16. - Top - End - #16

Poul stands up and quietly follows Joanna.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If she shows any signs of noticing me I say hello.
    hide (1d20+15)[27]
    move silently (1d20+15)[22]

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+4)[11] ten chars filler

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

As the king's daughter leaves, Poul slowly follows, skulking in the shadows of the hallways a few steps behind her. She walks in the direction of the main hall, and after rounding a bend, runs straight into Olivia LeDayne - or rather, Olivia runs into her. What were you doing there? I was looking all over for you. Come, you can't keep everyone waiting. The princess takes the rebuke silently. Come , Olivia continues. We have to join the rest.

They continue down the corridor, and into the inner courtyard, sunlit and overflowing with men and horses.

[[if you want to keep following them there stealthily, I need another Hide check at -10, as there isn't really a good spot to hide]]

19. - Top - End - #19

Being sneaky.
    (1d20+5)[24]
    Spoiler
    Show
    If possible I will use my invisibility maneuver to get to a better hiding spot.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Rurithel peers at the departing princess. "Well, that was certainly abrupt. My lord, from your reaction, I take it this is news to you as well? I don't mean to speak out of turn, but Lord Finnlay is right. Such a state wedding should be the result of considerable planning. For this to catch you unawares, why then . . . I wonder what it means that you were not included in the planning of it."

Her expression grows abstracted, as she mulls this over.
    The Refounding OOC IC
    Here be Dragons

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21

As Kallen
    "If I helped plan it I would not be at a disadvantage. And advantages are everything."
    Kallen sighs and takes a drink of his beverage of choice.
    Last edited by WyvernLord; 2012-05-06 at 06:46 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Poul exits the doorway, and into the sunlight. For a moment, he feels almost naked, exposed in the wide courtyard, but then notices a barrel and darts behind it before anyone pays him heed. May guards and mulling about, saddling horses and loading carts and carriages. Among the persons he recognizes, other than the above-mentioned Olivia and Joanna, is Tomlin, Chief Officer of the king's bodyguards. Olivia whispers something in Tomlin's ear, then ushers Joanna into a fancy carriage, and climbs behind her. The castle gates are creaking open, and the caravan of two dozen horses, two carts and one carriage is turning to leave.

Meanwhile, Tomlin, flanked by four soldiers of the Dwarven Guard, turns towards the same hallway Poul just came through, and starts pacing in that direction...

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Finnlay can't take it any more. Who knows what might be behind the portrait! There could be some sort of arrow trap or something! Or a removable block leading to a room full of spearmen! Or there could be a brick full of explosive alchemical substances!

He stands off to the side of the portrait.

"You may wan' ta be careful, people, I'm saddisfying a suspicion."

He'll give people a few seconds to move, then-still standing off to the side-carefully remove the portrait from the wall.

(Recaiden) He lives!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Behind the huge portrait, once it is removed, with no little difficulty, is a ... wall. Just a wall of masonry. And although Finnlay can swear it sounded hollow last he tapped on it - and still does - there seem to be no cracks, holes, keyholes, peepholes, or anything of the sort.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Finnlay taps around to get an exact lock on the spot in the wall that sounds hollow, draws his sword (And thanks his family's patron deity that his blade is made of enchanted adamantine) and stabs into the wall, making sure not to go so far as to stab anything that may be on the other side.

Rolls
    Spoiler
    Show

To hit(1d20+9)[12]
    To damage (1d8+2)[5]
    And The extra cold damage from the enchantment, if it affects anything at all (1d6)[4]

(Recaiden) He lives!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

" I'll be watching the door if you need me, m'lord," says the huntsman in the ear of the heir before he heads outside of it and takes station there. He's not standing in front of it, though. Off to the side is his berth, leaning against the wall, mostly hidden from view by a suit of armor, the position being such that if he -were- spotted, he would appear to just be lazing against the wall and not lurking.

From here he has an excellent view of both the door, and the corridor up to it.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+10)[26] for Hide

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

A normal sword would have bounced off the wall harmlessly, but this is no normal sword. Amid a shower of sparks, a chunk of wall falls off, and a dent is made, about as deep as a human finger is wide.

Mattias, and anyone else to makes a DC 15 listen check
    Spoiler
    Show
    Footsteps are heard behind the badly damaged wall, retreating rapidly

Meanwhile, the ranger takes a defensive post by the door, well-hidden in the shadows. [[unless the new information makes him want to do something else]]

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Finnlay picks his shield up from where he left it and readies himself.

"Whedder this is a trap or nodd, I don' like whud's going on here," Finnlay grunts, mountain accent perfectly framing the edge that's crept into his voice, and tries to stab into some mortar or something similar between bricks, hoping to pry a stone loose.

"Dere's someone behind this wall, running like they mean it."

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+9)[29]
    (1d8+3)[5]
    +
    (1d6)[1] cold if it affects the stone at all. I think it does half damage in that case.

(Recaiden) He lives!

29. - Top - End - #29

I frown and turn to follow Tomlin.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Use invisibility and teleport to hide if they seem to notice me. If unused I teleport back into the room when I get within 50' of a shadow in the room.
    Stealth checks.
    Hide (1d20+15)[23]
    Move Silently (1d20+15)[25]

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    actually cold does 1/4 damage to objects, and hardness applies. Which basically amounts to no damage at all. Adamantite, however, as luck would have it, bypasses hardness, so you come out ahead overall.

In a show of wanton violence and disrespect to royal property, Finnlay manages to demolish the wall further, and a fist-sized hole is made. The retreating footsteps are now heard clearly, and a flicker of light is seen through the hole, growing fainter by the second.

[[optimally, before we proceed, i'd like to know what Poul does, if anything, in the yard; if he doesn't post in a reasonable time, I'll assume he keeps himself hidden as he was ah, he did post. we can now proceed]]
    Last edited by Vladislav; 2012-05-06 at 10:19 PM.