New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: AVB - Blue Eyes

1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: AVB - Blue Eyes

He grins in an awkward lizardly way, watching the hostel keeper come out. "Ah. Haggling. I mussst remind you that the traditional priccce for sssuch a trinket issss over twenty-one hundred fifty gold. Where I come from, haggling with a Wizard over the prices custom magic itemsss is taboo. If I had known, I would have quoted you a worssse price ssso we could enjoy the ritual. Forgive me, but Sssixteen thirty is as low as I can go if you are paying fully in trade goodsss like gemsss or platinum."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

"I pay in gold. Sixteen hundred. Cute story about not haggling."
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

3. - Top - End - #63

Kobold

He grins, "Thirty poundsss of gold? You sshould get it converted. How about you pay the extra thirty gold, but I throw in inssstructionsss on how to ussse it to fly, ssswim, climb, burrow, hide, improve your sssense of sssmell and sssuch? Ssso the extra thirty isssn't for the item per ssse but it isss for the loremassster'ss tricksss in usssing it? Allow me to keep a little faccce, perhapsss?"
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2011-07-14 at 07:24 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

"Alright. Deal."
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

5. - Top - End - #65

Kobold

They wait a bit while Valen starts sketching in charcoal a few forms on some scratch parchment or paper. Tren, Lizardfolk, Troglodyte, Asabi, Merfolk, Skulk, Mountain Spirit Folk, Aquatic Elf, Avariel. All the forms that his miriad ways of learning about humanoids helped him distill to a small list of 'favored' forms. His book delving, his listening to stories, his use of his skill infusions, and his Wieldskill item, his experimenting with the spell itself. All of that distilled to the forms he determined most useful with this particular spell.

He is relieved when, twenty minutes or so after the thugs first came, he reverts to human form.

"Ah. Finally. That form isn't made for saying esses. So. Half up front, half on completion? I will, of course, need some of the money to buy crafting supplies. What form would you like the device to look like, and what command word would you like it to have? Do you want it to be held or worn?"

He pauses and listens to the hostel-keeper's answers at this point, before continuing, "Oh, some more details. It's a device of the second circle Wizard spell 'Alter Self', by the way. Once every twenty-four hours, the person holding it and saying the command word -- and only them! -- can change their form for thirty minutes. It can be used for disguising oneself as another race, though anyone with a bit of magic detecting ability will notice the Transmutation on you, and that part certainly isn't foolproof, and I would not suggest that use. It also only gives a small subsection of the natural abilities of the forms. Once it is used, the effect can NOT be ended at will, it can only be ended via a dispelling spell of some sort, or simply the time running out."

He takes a sip of some ale and continues, "Also, I've finished my sketches, we can do the discussion about the forms and tricks, if you want to part with the thirty gold right now. Do you want to do that?"

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

"I don't care."

"Worn."

"Of course."

Spoiler
    Show
    btw, I didn't contest it at the time because it didn't matter, you would have rolled high enough anyways, but how are you able to take 10 on knowledge checks?
    Last edited by planswalker; 2011-07-14 at 08:59 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67

Kobold

Spoiler
    Show
    Because Jack of all Trades makes him count as trained in the skill, and it is not a skill that, like Use Magic Device, is called out that you are NOT allowed take 10 on? You are allowed to take 10 on knowledge checks just fine outside of combat or stress. If you don't count as trained, it's an intelligence check, not a knowledge check. In this case the relevant skill is Knowledge Local. I use Take 10 scores as the baseline of knowledge known in general. I was using that take 10 to show you that 'yes, this is a creature he knows about ahead of time and can have realistically have practiced changing into.' Is that a problem? Also, do I HAVE to RP going through all of the specific creatures? Also is the 'of course' his response to all the different questions? I put like three questions in there, with waiting for responses in between them. Do you want to fast forward through the details?
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2011-07-14 at 08:51 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    we houserule that you can't take 10 on knowledge checks. In our opinion, it defeats a lot of the purpose. In the future, you cannot take 10. And this is not up for debate. If you had some effect that specifically mentioned taking 10 on knowledge then for that circumstance it would work.

I edited my response to include the other 2 questions my initial skim through didn't pick up.

9. - Top - End - #69

Kobold

"Half up front, and a metal bracelet with a generic, traditional command word. Alright."

Valen accepts the thirty gold and spends some time going over different forms -- The Tren, which he found as the best combat form he knew of, which is sort of a cross between a Lizardfolk and a Troglodyte, both of which he shows, which aren't any slouch in a fight either. He goes over how most sorts of gnomes have a sort of acute sense of smell that helps particularly with alchemy, and should help with cooking and seasoning as well. He goes over Avarial elves, which can fly, and Merfolk and Aquatic Elves, which can swim incredibly well. He goes over Skulks, which he found are the best for this spell at hiding and sneaking. He goes over the desert Asabi people, which can burrow through dirt or sand, and the Mountain Spirit Folk, which can climb anything, even sheer surfaces, like a spider.

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't really want to roleplay all that conversation. Is that alright?

After all of this, when it seems obvious that the thugs aren't coming back that night, he retires for the night, with a big day planned in the morning -- going to the Wizard's quarter, buying some supplies, trying to find a long term Patron, buying some supplies, and coming back for a few hours of crafting.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

The man listens patiently and thanks you for the information. He pays the half up front.

Spoiler
    Show
    that was sufficient rp for that particular scene.

his big day is planned.

11. - Top - End - #71

Kobold

Valen sleeps his eight hours, and the next morning does his fifteen minutes of mental preparation, takes care of hygiene and food, and then, packing the mule and a chest of the gold securely -- and deeply -- in the saddlebags of the mule, he starts to head out to the Mage's quarter, to buy some crafting supplies with the gold (he will need 547 gp of crafting supplies to make the wondrous item), and then seek out the Guild of Starlight and Shadows. Before he leaves, he asks the innkeeper for some rough directions to and in and around the Mage's Quarter.

Spoiler
    Show
    I think I, the player, forgot to get the name of the hostel-keeper. Did Valen get his name during any of their talks, or should I do a quick RP of him getting the hostel-keeper's name and story before he leaves? We could put that in the part of asking for directions and such in the mage's quarter if you want.
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2011-07-14 at 10:18 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    you have the name. does it really matter?

He gives you such directions. He arrives at the Guild of Starlight and Shadows headquarters. It is a rather nice building of alchemically treated wood, and the double doors stand unlocked and inviting.

13. - Top - End - #73

Kobold

Valen runs his hand along the wood, trying to place it and the alchemical treatment. Regardless, he walks in, smiling, and looks for a receptionist. "Hello there, I am Valen Hunter. I am a newly arrived Arcanist in town, and I specialize in crafting, artisanship, artistry, alchemy, construction, and magical artifice. I am interested in learning more about this guild and it's members, and how it interacts with my chosen vocations. Where would I go to get some questions answered, or to set up some appointments?"
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2011-07-14 at 10:46 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74

Kobold

Spoiler
    Show

To figure out about the wood and the alchemy.
    Knowledge: Nature (1d20+5)[21]
    Knowledge: Arcana (1d20+13)[29]
    Craft: Alchemy, take 10 for 20.
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2011-07-14 at 10:48 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Alchemically treated wood goes through an alchemical process to be made stronger.

There is no receptionist, but there is a man standing around in a starry cloak.

16. - Top - End - #76

Kobold

Valen knows that oftentimes a starry cloak is sometimes a powerful wizard's item, though he doesn't assume that this particular cloak is a powerful wizard's item. Instead of saying what he was thinking of saying earlier, he instead goes for a bit more cautious approach. "Ah, excuse me, sir, I am an arcanist newly arrived in Aldhaven and am looking for more information about this guild. Is there a receptionist or someone to whom I could ask some basic questions?"
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2011-07-14 at 11:02 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

"No, but any member can share with you about anything public."

18. - Top - End - #78

Kobold

Valen smiles pleasantly, "Well, I am Valen Hunter, and I am a magical crafter who is interested in this guild. Do you happen to have some time to answer some rudimentary questions? You are a member, yes?"
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2011-07-14 at 11:12 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes and yes."

20. - Top - End - #80

Kobold

Valen continues smiling, "Well, first of all, I would be honored to know with whom I am speaking. Second, I was told to come here with regards to two main goals: networking with supporters of the arts and philanthropists and those who act as Patrons to artists and magical crafters, and also getting a license to do certain types of business in the city, with regards to openly selling magic items or items made via magic? Am I at the correct place for those sorts of things? Finally, I don't really have a basic idea of what this guild does in and for this city, could you give me an overview?"

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

"I am Valis."

"We are one of three groups that can license such sales."

"We are a collection of mages and magical merchants that work together for our mutual good and the economic health of the city."

22. - Top - End - #82

Kobold

Valen continues smiling, interspersing some smalltalk with some questions to see the Wizard's reactions to certain concepts. "Ah, I think our names might have the same root, interesting! And hmm, economics, that dismal science. I've always been fascinated with it. My master, may the gods keep his soul, had some truly strange ideas about it. Really avante-garde stuff, with things like spending lots of money on investment in using magic to permanently solve large problems for the Peasantry, and how that would make cities more prosperous! No one would really pay any attention to him or his ideas though, and he eventually retired to a small town and taught me some of the magical arts. I don't know how far he traveled in his youth, but there is a chance you heard of him? A Master Dalran, who eventually went to to the town of Springholt? Anyway, how would I go about getting a license?"
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2011-07-14 at 11:59 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83

Kobold

Spoiler
    Show
    Valen is actively using Sense Motive as he talks about these concepts. (1d20-1)[7] EDIT: Roll depreciated, ignore.
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2011-07-15 at 12:34 AM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB
    Your DM may decide to make your Sense Motive check secretly, so that you don’t necessarily know whether you were successful.
    We use this.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

25. - Top - End - #85

Kobold

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh sorry, didn't realize. Never mind!

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    note to self: character is still suspended on grounds of suspected cheating.

27. - Top - End - #87

Kobold

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm ready to go. Valen spoke last and is waiting for a reply from Valis.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Valen continues smiling, interspersing some smalltalk with some questions to see the Wizard's reactions to certain concepts. "Ah, I think our names might have the same root, interesting! And hmm, economics, that dismal science. I've always been fascinated with it. My master, may the gods keep his soul, had some truly strange ideas about it. Really avante-garde stuff, with things like spending lots of money on investment in using magic to permanently solve large problems for the Peasantry, and how that would make cities more prosperous! No one would really pay any attention to him or his ideas though, and he eventually retired to a small town and taught me some of the magical arts. I don't know how far he traveled in his youth, but there is a chance you heard of him? A Master Dalran, who eventually went to to the town of Springholt? Anyway, how would I go about getting a license?"
    "Dalren was at one point a member of this order. Dismissed in disgrace, I do recall. As for getting licensed, there's a test and a background check."

29. - Top - End - #89

Kobold

Valen's eyes widen. "Disgrace? Oh dear, whatever happened to him? I would like to hear that story at some point! He never talked about his past other than to say that 'folk wouldn't listen'. Maybe he wanted to shield me, or meant to tell me at some point before he passed away? And I would be interested in taking this test; after all, the sooner I get licensed, the sooner I can start practicing and making money off of my arts more publicly!" Valen grins with the idea; he truly does love his work.

Spoiler
    Show
    Again, throughout this entire conversation, Valen is actively attempting to get a social sense of what the person is saying, not saying, hiding, his motivations, etc.; making active sense motive checks.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, when you call the ruling council in the guild a 'pack of capitalist mongrels', they tend to be a little vindictive. He crossed a line though when he threatened to sell trade secrets to our rivals if we didn't accede to his wishes."