New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Attacking people in a grapple

Hi. these may be simple questions, but I can't find the answer to them anywhere, which is kind of odd. The questions refer to people outside a grapple attacking either grappler in a grapple.

Is there any chance to hit either one? (such as AoO of people in a bull rush?) Or is there a penalty if you wish to only attack the one you want?

What if the sizes of the grapplers are different, such as an Ogre grappling a halfling, or a human grappled by a stirge? Does it change the miss chances?

What if a pin is achieved? (I think the characters will be less dynamic in such a situation?)

What happens in the cases of grapplers who have to wrap themselves around the body of the opponent? (snakes, gibbering mouthers, Raggamofins?)

If you have either official rulings (preffered) or good house rules (also quite welcomed), I'd love to hear. Thanks!

1. Special projects:
    Campaign logs archive, Campaign planning log, Tactical mass combat Homebrew, A unique monsters compendium.
    2. My campaign logs:
    Three from a GM's POV, One from a player's POV. Very detailed, including design and GMing discussions.
    3. Various roleplay and real life musings and anecdotes:
    For those interested, from serious to funny!

Thanks for reading!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Attacking people in a grapple

- People in a grapple are all in the same square, but nothing prevents them from being targeted normally without regard to respective sizes. DMs may over-rule of course, but there's nothing RAW to suggest it.

- The -4 penalty for shooting into melee almost certainly applies (or should apply) for ranged weapons.

- People in a grapple are considered flatfooted against attacks made from outside the grapple.

Hope that helps!

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Obnoxiously, they squirreled that info away in the Combat Modifiers section.

But the short version is:

-Grapplers lose their DEX bonus against non-grapplers.
    -Melee attacks always hit their intended target.
    -Unless the attacker has Improved Precise Shot, ranged attacks roll randomly to determine who gets targeted. At no point do they say how to randomize this.
    -Pinned characters are immobilized, and ranged attacks made against them no longer target randomly.
    I am not crazy! I prefer "reality impaired".

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

- People in a grapple are considered flatfooted against attacks made from outside the grapple.
    -Grapplers lose their DEX bonus against non-grapplers.
    Just to clarify, it is no Dex bonus, not being flat-footed. The two are not entirely interchangeable (though I believe even the books confuse them anyways).
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

For different sized grapplers, a simple proportionality will work. Say...if an ogre grapples a halfling, the ogre is size large, while the halfling is small. 2 smalls make a medium, and 2 mediums make a large. So the ogre counts as 4 small creatures, while the halfling only counts as one. There is a 4/5 (80%) chance that any ranged attack will hit the ogre, and a 1/5 (20%) chance to hit the halfling.

Thats how I've always run it. I don't think it is addressed in the rules, but it seems pretty common sense to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Rules Compendium says using a melee weapon to attack grapplers they lose dex to AC. For ranged attacks however its 50/50 who you actually hit. It's page 61 of that book for reference.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Most of the questions have already been answered, but for the pinned-part:

A pinned Character is treated as having 0 DEX (a -5 Modifier) and can be Sneak Attacked.
    Furthermore, he get's an additional -4 to AC against melee attacks, but not against ranged.
    No chance to hit the wrong guy, even on a ranged miss.

My head almost exploded just now from reading that as a -4 to attack

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks everyone. Your answers deal nicely with for my problems.

1. Special projects:
    Campaign logs archive, Campaign planning log, Tactical mass combat Homebrew, A unique monsters compendium.
    2. My campaign logs:
    Three from a GM's POV, One from a player's POV. Very detailed, including design and GMing discussions.
    3. Various roleplay and real life musings and anecdotes:
    For those interested, from serious to funny!

Thanks for reading!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050301a
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050308a
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050322a
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050315a
    I found this very helpful for my grappling barb. I realized that moving with an enemy grappled, past your allies (especially rogues) gives them an aoo. Teamwork high-five!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Funny thing that they didn't correct with that RotG article...

Pinning only lasts for 1 round. Even if you start your turn in the grapple, you have to spend one grapple action to move into a pin. Thus, you are already committed to spend at least a standard action to attack, if not a full attack (with a high enough BAB to get multiple grapple actions).

If you have a foe pinned AND you attempt to move the grapple, you get a +4 bonus on that check. Unfortunately, you don't have the standard action left to move the grapple after you pin your foe, because you already made at least one attack to get that foe pinned.

Basically, the +4 for moving a pinned foe is a rule that will almost NEVER EVER come up. Only Shapechanging into a Choker or Chronotryn, or activating a Belt of Battle for at least 2 charges will allow you to do that.

Pointless rule is pointless...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!