Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [4e] Hillcrest's Heroes IC

Big 16
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. What game system are you running? D&D 4e
    2. What is the setting for the game? Homebrew. General medieval fantasy world.
    3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many? 5 players, 5 alternates.
    4. What's the gaming medium? OOTS Forum Play-by-Post
    5. What is the characters' starting status? Level 1.
    6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with? Standard 100 gold.
    7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes? I'm open to mostly anything, but run any homebrew by me first. Some classes may be looked down on in civilization (warlocks, blackguards, necromancers, etc.).
    8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    Though I prefer the classic D&D races (humans, elves, etc.), it's not a rule to play them (classically evil races like tieflings, drow, etc. should expect some prejudice from most townsfolk). No Warforged, please.
    9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points? Standard point-buy.
    10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so? 4e alignment system. No evil, please.
    11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it? I doubt it will come up, but sure, I'll allow it if it does.
    12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them? Roll on the forums. DM reserves the right to make secret rolls *oooh, spooky*
    13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules. Any PC that joins in the middle of the adventure will make his/her entrance by falling from the sky. Yes, even if the party's indoors and/or underground.
    14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)? Backgrounds are nice, but I'm much more interested in character personalities. There's plenty of humor to be found in this adventure, so feel free to give your character some interesting quirks.
    15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above? Combination
    16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    If the official character builder allows it, I'll allow it (unless otherwise specified earlier).

Players
    {table]Player | Character | Class | Role
    Dakaran (OP) | Baern | Shaman | Leader
    Palabalo (OP) | Saeros | Ranger | Striker
    Sakutian | Lim | Wizard | Controller
    Demonicheart | Lysandra | Rogue | Striker
    TitoElito | Mukduk | Fighter/Ranger | Striker[/table]

Alternates (in no particular order)
    {table]Hircine | Lathian | Bladesinger | Controller
    Felhammer | Bree | Warlock (Binder) | Controller
    shadowgab | Arwiana | Revenant | Striker?
    Zigg | Atrim | Wizard | Controller
    Ron2112 | Dlanor | Ranger | Striker[/table]

OOC thread is here.

---
    ---

Brandis Donnelly is an old, retired adventurer who has contacted all of you though various means, though never face-to-face. He wishes to meet with you, stating that he has news of dire urgency, and he needs the mightiest of adventurers to help him with a problem that may soon threaten the town of Hillcrest, if not more. He has asked to meet with you at tavern of the Sleeping Dragon's Inn.

As you arrive, the weather is dismal as rain pours outside. The tavern itself has a decent crowd of people, most of whom are listening to a wandering minstrel as he entertains and shares news of surrounding lands.
    Unfortunately, it seems that your host has not yet arrived.
    Last edited by Janus; 2011-10-17 at 01:49 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Hillcrest's Heroes IC

Baern

Baern, a young dwarf with stark white hair, enters the tavern while shaking his head in an attempt to rid his hair and beard of some of the rain water he took on while coming to the tavern.

Baern heads toward whom he presumes is a barkeeper. "Excuse me, I'll have a hot cidar please."

rwwwrrrrghRRRRRWWWWGH! A low rumble that escalates into a loud roar comes from outside.

"Grandpa, please! FINE!" Baern turns back to the barkeep. "I'll have two beers instead..."
    Print and Play Minis | iheartprintandplay | Retired as of 2018, but my entire public collection of monsters, PCs, NPCs, environment pieces, and other supplements are still freely available (see links in top sticky post)
    Homebrew Projects | Extended Signature

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

A black haired Tiefling in flowing robes of crimson and gold stepped into the Sleeping Dragon Inn and looked around the tavern as though he owned the place. He ignored the usual angry whispers and curious glances that greeted him almost everywhere he went and moved to the bar.

Catching sight of the dwarf and his drinks Lim placed a few coins on the bar. "One should never miss a chance to tip a glass with a dwarf. I trust you won't object to sharing a drink?"

Lim smiles his friendliest grin showing off his pearly teeth and doing his best to make a good impression.

4. - Top - End - #4

Lizardfolk

Baern

Baern looks up from his drinks at the smiling Tiefling and cracks a smile. "Object? No, sit down." Baern's eyes quickly dart back and forth between the windows nearest the front door. Seeing nothing, Baern turns back to the Tiefling and says in a quiet voice, "Heck, you can save your coins and have one of mine if you don't tell my grandfather." In a more normal volume Baern continues, "I'm Baern. What can I call you?"
    Print and Play Minis | iheartprintandplay | Retired as of 2018, but my entire public collection of monsters, PCs, NPCs, environment pieces, and other supplements are still freely available (see links in top sticky post)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Lim

"It would seem the legends of dwarven generosity are well founded." Lim settles himself into the seat next to Baern and picks up one of the drinks.

"I think I'll take you up on your offer." The tiefling offers his unoccupied hand to Baern. "My name is Lim Grimweave."

6. - Top - End - #6

Lizardfolk

Baern

"Think nothing of it, Lim," Baern replies and then quickly adds "But seriously, don't tell my grandfather. I think he'd sit on me if he knew I was giving away beer." Baern grasps Lim's hand and gives it a good shake. "Sit down. I presume you're here because of Brandis as well?"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

"Hey bear, wanna wrestle?" Mukduk jokes at the spirit bear he saw as he busts open the door of the tavern. After wringing out his clothes and blowing his nose on the sleeve of the nearest patron, he stops just as suddenly, and says "My, what a heavenly smell!" Entranced by the kitchen, Mukduk rediscovers himself with a full belly and a plate full of chicken bones being whisked away from him, and then surveys his surroundings.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Unitarian Jihad Name is:
    The Sabre of Quiet Reflection.
    Get yours.

8. - Top - End - #8

Saeros

After hearing the name Brandis, Saeros picked up his bow and stepped out of the shadows. The dark haired elf sat down next to Lim and says "Sorry to listen in on your conversation but I also am here because of Brandis. " Saeros then makes eye contact with the bartender and orders a beer.
    Last edited by Palabalo; 2011-10-16 at 06:29 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Lim

"Interesting." Lim takes a drink of his beer, makes a face, and sets the glass back on the bar smoothly.

"I wonder what Brandis has in mind? I've only spoke to him through middle men and messages in the past. I don't suppose either of you have ever met him face to face?"
    Last edited by Sakutian; 2011-10-16 at 07:12 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Lizardfolk

Baern

As the elf came out of the shadows, Baern turned his head quickly to the nearest window as a quick, alarming growl rung in his mind. Baern's spirit companion, Fargrim, a large white bear with a beard very similar to that of a dwarf, was staring intently at the elf through the window. Baern opened his mind back to Fargrim, Grandpa, it's fine. He caught me off guard too, but he's certainly not here to kill me. Why are you at the window? I told you to stay away from the tavern, you'll scare people. Another growl rung through Baern's mind. Baern looked over at the half-orc across the room and started laughing. It was then that Baern realized that Lim was talking to him. "Hm? Oh, sorry. No I haven't met him," Baern replied, turning his attention back to the others at his table.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

"Lysandra"

A slender figure in dark blue leather armor made their way inside from the rain. Even with a cloak draped over her body, it was clear that the figure was female. She shook the water from her cloak and lowered her hood revealing her light skin tone and dirty blonde hair. The human woman glanced about the tavern as she took in all the patrons there. One might have thought she was just looking for a seat and some shelter from the rainstorm if it weren't for the barely visible smirk on her face.

Taverns were a second home to Lysandra and right now, she was itching to entertain her guests even more than the bard in the corner. Eventually her eyes drifted to those sitting by the bar. The good majority of them seemed to be at least as well off as her given their gear. She quickly made her way over to them flashing a trademark smile, "If I knew it was going to be raining this bad when I arrived, I would've left sooner. Still, the Sleeping Dragon's Inn's as good a shelter as any...but where are manners." She leaned her body against the bar but didn't actually sit down just yet. Lysandra had her ways, she needed to get a good feel for her audience first, "You all don't mind a little extra company, right? If nothing else, it'll make for a good way to pass the time. The name's Lysandra by the way if you were curious."

12. - Top - End - #12

Lizardfolk

Baern

Baern looks up at Lysandra and replies, "I don't mind. Feel free to take a seat. Oh, and I'm Baern. It's nice to meet you." Baern cracks a smile and to no one in particular he says "It looks like we're gathering quite the party here. I think we need some food." Baern catches the barkeeper's eye and shouts "Oy! Can I get a round of fresh bread and some hot meat for the table? Whatever you have is fine!" Baern glances at the window near the door. Not seeing his grandfather he adds "And a glass of hot cidar too!"
    Last edited by Dakaran; 2011-10-16 at 10:11 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

DruidGuy

Mukduk

As Mukduk awakens from his trance, he notices that there are a bunch of adventurer-looking people around him. When he hears Baern order a round of bread and mead, he says "Oh, hello everyone! The name's Mukduk, pleased to meet 'ya! And your name's Baern? Thanks for the round of bread, buddy!" as he slaps Baern on the back in gratitude.
    Spoiler
    Show

Get yours.

14. - Top - End - #14

Lizardfolk

Baern

Baern lurches forward slightly from the force of Mukduk's back slap and lets out an extremely loud burp. Baern looks around at his new tavern companions, a little embarrased, but a little proud. "Exuse me," Baern says, almost automatically.

BBUURRWWWWARRRRRPPP! A loud sound comes from outside of the tavern that from what Baern can tell is the sound of his grandfather burping out a roar. Baern chuckles and shakes his head at his grandfather, realizing that his grandfather heard his burp and took it as a challenge.

Baern smiles at Mukduk and replies, "Yeah, I'm Baern. No problem. It'll be a pleasure to dine with you, Mukduk, so long as you don't mind a good burp."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Lim

Wrinkling his nose at all of the burping going on around him Lim glances unethusiatically at the half-orc. Moving to take a small portion of bread before it vanishes he dips it into his mug the pops the soggy bread into his mouth.

"Whatever our host has in mind it must be dangerous if he's called so many associates together." The tiefling grins slightly as he takes another small portion of bread. "I don't suppose any of you need to have your trousers hemmed?"

16. - Top - End - #16

Saeros

Ignoring the ruckus next to him, he turns to Lim and says "No I have not seen him face to face, I only was told he knew of evil threatening our town. We must seek out this disturbance and protect our town.
    His hands trembled as he spoke the word evil as if saying it condemned him.

Shaken he took another sip and sighed, calming his rage.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Lim

A wicked grin appeared on Lim's face and his eyes caught the light of the fire making them appear to glow. He put his hand to his forehead and threw back his head. "I confess. Brandis stumbled upon my nefarious plans to unleash the horros of the abyss on Hillcrest. I was forced to gobble him up to ensure his silnce."

The tiefling popped another piece of bread into his mouth as he contiuned to smile. "I suppose I shouldn't be eating bread after such a hearty meal but plotting doom does work up a powerful hunger."

18. - Top - End - #18

The bartender, employees, and some of the patrons seem... unnerved by the crazy people waltzing into the tavern, but otherwise carry on with their business (though the bartender really doesn't know how to take Lim's comment, while a drunken patron doesn't seem to notice Mukduk's use of his sleeve as a handkerchief).

After about ten or twenty minutes, the door opens again, and an older, weathered-looking gentlemen enters, tapping the floor and surrounding objects with a large staff. A wench immediately attends to him, taking his soaked cloak and helping guide him to a room in the back. On his way, he stops and announces in a strong, clear voice:
    "If anyone is here to see Brandis Donnelly, follow me to the back room."

19. - Top - End - #19

Default Re: [4e] Hillcrest's Heroes IC

Saeros

"Good one Lim, you had me for a second there"
    Saeros stood up, tossed a coin to the bartender, and followed the blind man into the room.

20. - Top - End - #20

Lizardfolk

Baern

At Lim's grim comment, Baern stares blankly at him for a moment before breaking into hearty laughter. "You're alright, Lim, haha."

Baern noticed as an elderly man entered the bar. After hearing him announce for those to follow him if they're in the tavern for Brandis Donnelly, Baern smiles broadly and stands up. "Alright, it's about time." At that, the door to the tavern burst open and a large, white bear with a dwarvish beard walks in, upright on its hind legs. rrwwaRR cuts across the room in a low tone. Turning back towards the bear Baern replies, "Gah... fine! If you're coming, hurry up." Baern throws some coins onto the table and he and his companion follow the man towards the back room.
    Last edited by Dakaran; 2011-10-17 at 01:44 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

DruidGuy

Mukduk

Not acknowledging the joke (either because it went over his head or he was busy stuffing himself with bread and mead), Mukduk gets up and follows the rest of the group, with a few crumbs and drops of mead still on his face.
    Spoiler
    Show

Get yours.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Lysandra

The blonde haired woman had indeed taken a seat and helped herself to the food provided. However, her intents had not been the same as the others. Truth be told, she had no idea that they were meeting with the same mysterious benefactor as well. Still, they dropped enough hints for her to figure it out. Although she remained polite, the thoughts in her head were far from those of an innocent traveler, Huh...and here I was thinking I was just going to ply my trade and pad my gold pouch a bit until Brandis showed up...it might not look so good to swindle those he's called himself...I guess I'll stay a little while, listen to what they know and then find another table...perhaps those merchants would make better marks... Despite being in the presence of a tiefling, Lysandra wasn't offended by his presence. Granted she trusted him about as far as she could throw him but that was the same for everyone. She laughed politely at his joke and probably would have made some small talk herself if the guest of honor hadn't arrived. The young woman frowned a little as she heard the announcement, So much for padding my pouch...

She stood up and left a gold coin on the table before following the entourage into the back room, "Well, aren't we an unusual group...and it seems like we have the same acquaintance as well. I'd very much like to hear what he has to say that's so urgent as to call us here." For the time being, she seemed decidedly neutral to the idea of helping out.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Lim

The entrance of the apparently blind man and his invitation drew the tiefling's suspicion and curiosity in equal measure. He'd been forced to fight his way out ambushes set by those who like nothing better than to have his horns hanging from their mantle. Being lured into a bad situation by those he felt presented no threat was a bad habit that he'd been forced to grow out.

But his curiosity won out and he moved to follow the others.

24. - Top - End - #24

You enter a small, private room, which features a medium sized table with just enough chairs for all of you. A small fire glows in the fireplace, and the rain beats against the windows. A serving girl leaves a tankard of ale with Brandis, who gives her a silver coin in return.
    There's little decoration in the room, aside from some faded curtains and a painting of a , which seemingly compels you to have a good day.

Brandis's age is difficult to determine, as his experiences have left him looking older than he really is. His matted hair is gray, and a thin, stubbly beard adorns his chin and cheeks. Despite his haggard appearance, he (thankfully) doesn't smell bad.
    His most striking feature is a jagged scar across his light, cloudy blue eyes.

"Come in, sit down!" he invites, his voice somewhat gruff but nevertheless pleasant. "Brandis Donelly, at your service. I trust you had no trouble finding the place?"

25. - Top - End - #25

Lizardfolk

Baern

Baern looks upon the unusual poster with a , smiles, and feels pretty good about himself.

At Brandis's request Baern moves toward a chair. He notes that there's just enough chairs for Baern and the others that Brandis invited. As Baern pulls out a chair, Fargrim also pulls out a chair. They freeze for a moment, young dwarf and looming spirit bear, their eyes locked.

rrrrwwwrrr

"You've got to be kidding me," Baern says sarcastically as he releases his chair and takes a step back as Fargrim pulls his chair out further and attempts to balance his bulk on the chair.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Lim

Smiling at the sight of the mammoth bear struggling to work it's bulk into a chair Lim pulls out another chair.

"Have my seat Baern, I prefer standing anyway."

He examines Brandis carefully from across the room. The scar across his face is an interesting side note but his voice is what really saprks the tiefling's interest. He'd clearly lived a hard life to have had time take such a toll on him.

"No more trouble than threading a needle Brandis. Many thanks for the invitation."

27. - Top - End - #27

Lizardfolk

Baern

"Thank you, Lim, that's very kind of you," Baern replies as he takes the offered seat.

rrwwaarrrgh. Fargrim turns his head toward Lim, sniffing the air, and looking him up and down. Fargrims head moves in a small nod and then turns back to Brandis. Baern looks at Fargrim, then at Lim and smirks good naturely.

Turning his attention back to Brandis Baern looks over the weathered old man, and feels a slight pang of pity for the man's eyes. I wonder how he got that wound, Baern wonders to himself. "We had no trouble at all finding the tavern. My grandfather can smell beer from miles away."

28. - Top - End - #28

Saeros

Steering clear of the commotion with Lim and Baern, Saeros sat down and took the opportunity to inspect the host. He could only wonder what weapon had caused the man to lose an eye. An arrow couldn't create a scar across both eyes.

Wishing he had brought his beer, he sat quietly and waited for the blind man to speak.
    Awesome avatar crafted by the wonderful TinyMushroom!

Saeros in Red Hands

29. - Top - End - #29

DruidGuy

Mukduk

As Mukduk walks in the serving room, he smiles back at the poster, and then asks "Hey lady, where can I get me one o' them posters?" as he promptly plops into a chair at one end of the table and puts up his feet, making himself comfortable.
    Spoiler
    Show

Get yours.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Lysandra

Lysandra arched a curious brow at the dwarf and bear 'act' occurring in front of her. The fact that the bear seemed to insist on sitting in a chair left the gambler a little uncertain whether she wanted to call the duo weird or simply laugh at the spectacle. Eventually, she settled on just sighing and shaking her head. A bemused expression crossed her face as she kept her final opinions on the matter to herself, I know Baern's one of those animal-loving, spirit-worshiping folk but that dwarf really needs to remember he's the boss around here. Its getting a little hard to tell whose the pet and whose the master. She decided it was best to ignore the fact that he apparently called his pet bear, 'grandfather'.

When she noticed Lim offered Baern his seat, Lysandra smirked a bit at the tiefling. Her tone was downright cheerful as she jokingly added, "Trying to lull us into a false sense of security, eh Lim?" Everything from the expression to her body language hinted that she intended no offense. If there was any lingering doubt, she finished on a slightly more serious note, "Gentlemen are a rare breed. Glad to see they haven't died out yet." With her commentary done, the blonde haired woman grabbed a chair and sat crosslegged in it.

She briefly glanced at the painting when Muldak asked about it, Never met a half-orc interested in art...huh, guess there's a first time for everything. Still, the 'professional gambler' paid it little mind. She didn't think it would be worth much on the markets, legal or otherwise. Furthermore, there was still other business to deal with. Brandis had gone to some length to gather them all and she'd like to know why, "Aside from the rain, no problems here. Still, I'm not a druid so its not like I can command the storm to stop."