New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Eastern Tarthenol [IC]

The order came in by a sending less than a week ago... I'd say all of this is older than that. but I don't know who would be ordering... You'd think they'd be asking for help, or contacting their allies. The message was too calm...

Well, we won't figure anything out tonight. I'm going to tie up the horses and set up the wagon's protections... I'd recommend nobody eat any of the local grain or water...

In the distance several crows fly off in the dark sky. You notice a wet dripping noise as black sludge drips from the foot of one of the scarecrows in the fields behind the farm house.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gaspar approaches the nearest "Scarecrow" and inspects it, looking at the black sludge.

After inspecting it at length, Gaspar waves to Auugh.

"Auugh. Come here. You very well could recognize this."

3. - Top - End - #153

Augh stomps over towards you, crush ichor covered hay beneath his feet. He sniffs the air deeply when he arrives.
    Yeah.. smells like that stuff from the tower. I'dda guessed the ones in the tower were meals bein' flavored with somethin'.. evil gits that Slaad are, but this doesn't make sense at all...

You yourself take in the scent of the air around you. There has been a permeating burnt smell usual for destroyed civilization, but there is also.. a lightly sweet odor hanging in the air, as of rotting fruit.

There is a shout from the farmhouse which sounds like Lothos. You hear him calling out that the house is empty and can be easily secured for the night.
    Last edited by 0nimaru; 2011-07-31 at 02:36 PM.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Maybe whatever was left in the tower was... bait. To lure in Slaad to cover their tracks. I would say whoever did what we found in the tower is definitely behind this too. Think we should let the wagonmaster know?"

Gaspar looks around the bodies and then at them again, hoping anything will come to mind to explain this situation.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (arcane) (1d20+3)[17]
    Knowledge (Religion) (1d20+9)[21]

5. - Top - End - #155

Checks
    Spoiler
    Show
    You remember no new information.
    Taking your earlier spot and applying it now, without the distance penalties: The body you are standing at and those around you all appear to be in common workers clothes, heavily stained with the black sludge. As before, the bodies hang with their chins resting on their chests, eyes staring wide open towards the ground. Their faces look sad, partially due to the blackness also dripping from their tear ducts which leaves persistent 'tear' streaks down their faces.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gaspar sighs and gives up inspecting the scarecrows, turning to Auugh instead.

"No matter how much I wrack my mind I cannot think of any more information about this. I don't think I'll be able to come up with anything unless I specifically researched this, and this isn't the time, or the place for that. Shall we head back?"

7. - Top - End - #157

You and Augh both return to the farmhouse.
    The wagon has been brought alongside the house and hums with a faintly magical aura. The horses are nowhere to be seen, possibly tied up out of sight. As you enter Fidd and Lothos have just finished clearing out the entry room, pushing all of the furniture and obstructions to the walls in barricades, blocking the windows. There are black stains and light burns on most of the furniture, and the wooden flooring is streaked with several greasy marks as though things were dragged along the floor. With nothing else left to do, everybody sets up bed rolls and sleeps for the night.

You wake up, having slept with no dreams. The sky is grey and clouded, but with no signs of rain having fallen yet. The fields outside are the same as ever, however more crows have taken to the fallen crops while a few seem to be interested in the black sludge itself. The wagonmaster is up and setting the horses into position for the day's travel.
    So far this whole mission's going down the styx and crashing into the Abyss. I'm used to the portals taking us to nightmare realms and blasted netherworlds, but we're supposed to leave all that behind when we get back to Prime. Barbarians, warlords, pointless battles.. yes, but not this madness.. So. We're keeping the ride going and heading to town. We're getting paid and getting out of this country. If we spy an army besieging or plague-signs we're using our shaved knuckle and getting out. Got it?

8. - Top - End - #158
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gaspar nods.

"As much as I'd like to stick around here, I think its definitely a wise choice to get out of here as soon as we can. This place is considerably unsettling, and not a good sign for the main city."

He looks to the other guards and follows their lead, either riding the wagon or walking alongside it as we continue our way toward the city of Killek.

9. - Top - End - #159

Walking alongside the wagon, the hours pass as you travel south towards the city. The farms and fields you spy along the way towards the city are identical to the one you arrived near, burnt and filled with figures stationed like scarecrows among the trampled and scorched grain. You encounter no army, nor signs up them.
    Killek is a large city with 20 foot high walls that agrees with the fact that it was once the capital of a much larger kingdom. You see the roofs of shingled housing over the crenelations as you approach and there are signs of past wealth and success having flowed into the city. Perhaps thanks to the dismal sights of the ride, the gloomy sky, the wide open gates with no guards, or the echoing lack of human life noticable within the city... but there is an air of desolation like an aura around the city. As you look on you see a few flickers of motion near an alley, but nothing presents itself.

I have a miserable feeling about this trip.. I don't think we're going to get paid.
    The wagondriver moans before letting out a deep sigh. He continues driving the horses forward through the large city gates.

Similar to the farmhouse, there are greasy black lines smearing the ground all around the cobbled streets. The wagon stops at an inn only minutes from the gate named "The Golden Harvest". As the driver gets down from his perch to take care of the horses, a man comes out of the doorway. He has a bright smile on his face and has his arms open in greeting.

His physique is thin and his skin is loose, as though he has lost a good deal of weight recently. His hair is disheveled and unwashed. From the corner of his mouth a black smear runs down his chin and under his shirt.
    Welcome! Welcome! We've been waiting for the shipment. The next festival will be upon us this evening, and we must have the additives!

10. - Top - End - #160
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gaspar is dumbstruck by his cheerful disposition.

"Ah... good day to you. What's... happened here?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive (1d20-1)[8]

11. - Top - End - #161

The man's smile does not slip as he says,
    Happened? Something happened?
    He looks around behind you and down the street in both directions,
    Is something the matter? Was there trouble on the road here? You truly are the fastest merchants I've heard of. I didn't really believe you'd get here on time, but you deserve your price and more.

Two lads come out the door dragging a crate which they present to the wagon master. He examines the outside for a moment before being satisfied, and goes to the rear of the wagon to open it. The youths begin to unload crates and you notice the scent of fresh strawberries.

As the unloading is nearly completed the man turns back to you all.
    So, may I invite you in for a drink? We're fairly full, but I could find room for you fine sirs! As well.. I had a message from the Vizarch for you, wagonmaster, and your associates. He says that he wishes to have your company at his manor immediately, for business purposes. He was quite insistent.. that you not leave the city without seeing him. Although I'm sure it's not too urgent to keep you from having a drink at The Harvest

Augh looks to all of you and says,
    Well.. a drink would be nice. The Pit doesn't exactly have many festivals either. Coming along Gasp?

Fidd and Lothos seem cautious.. but accept Augh's reasoning. The wagonmaster says he will stay behind to have the wagon moved and make sure the goods are fully unloaded.
    Last edited by 0nimaru; 2011-07-31 at 04:39 PM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gaspar feels even further unnerved by the calmness in the man's voice.

"Ahh... well. I suppose a drink cannot hurt. Do you have everything handled alright here, wagonmaster?

After hearing the wagonmater's answer, Gaspar follows his three companions into the house.

13. - Top - End - #163

The innkeeper is delighted and ushers you into the doorway, following behind and slipping to the side to the serving bar. You halt after a few feet.

The tavern is indeed nearly full, with all but one table near the entrance occupied. All of the occupants are sitting at their tables, and most have vacant satisfied looks on their faces. The mugs are opaque, but you can see black stains running down the sides as the black liquid inside is sloshed around. Nearly everybody has stains around their face and at the corners of their mouths.

A loud shout comes from beside you at the bar, and you remember that the bartender had slipped in behind you.
    Hurry and take a seat! What flavor would you like? I've been dying to get the strawberries in and add them. Being our deliverers, would you like to be the first to sample it?

14. - Top - End - #164
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gaspar looks left and right to his companions, giving a nervous laugh.

"Well... don't knock anything till you've tried it once... right...?"
    Last edited by Winged_Immortal; 2011-07-31 at 05:14 PM.

15. - Top - End - #165

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+2)[21]

You and your three companions take seats around the lone table. The bartender rushes over with four pewter mugs and places one in front of each of you. Augh requests a meal as well, and the innkeeper gladly notes it and disappears into the kitchen.

You look down for a moment at the smooth black liquid in your mug. Sloshing it a bit, it seems thin and flows like a liquid, much smoother than the sludge-like tar you have seen so recently. Augh and Fidd have their mugs tipped back and Lothos is cautiously sipping at his. Feeling awkward, and already determined, you tip back your mug. You feel the black liquid slide down your throat and catch no hint of the strawberries. As the liquid passes over your tongue and throat there is an oily residue left behind, coating everything it touches. You feel a pleasant tingling sensation and after a few moments an intoxicating numbness spreads outwards through your body.

The feeling is an overall good one, but Augh and Lothos seem to be enraptured with the drink. Moments before they've finished their mugs, the innkeeper has brought full ones, and places another in front of you. He continues to make his rounds of the inn, providing new drinks and talking cheerfully at his customers who do not seem keen on responding, or speaking to each other.
    Last edited by 0nimaru; 2011-08-01 at 04:00 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gaspar finishes his drink, thoroughly enjoying the brew before leaning back in his chair.

"...Well. Despite that hideous look, there's absolutely nothing wrong with this, is there boys?"

He is happy to see a second mug in front of him, and is glad to enjoy another with his companions.

"...Bit odd that nobody else here seems to be talking though, don't you think?"
    Last edited by Winged_Immortal; 2011-08-01 at 04:49 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167

Fidd has not finished his first mug and sees a replacement already in front of him. He pushes the first back and does not drink any further. He looks rather grim. Lothos does not look at you as you ask, and seems to be enjoying himself.

Augh puts down his mug and wipes a black stain across the back of his arm as he answers,
    Aye, they're rather a quiet bunch, but maybe that's the town. None of us have been to Killek before, so it's hard to say.

This stuff is great though. Better than any of the ale I've ever tasted from Killek, and that stuff is famous on its own.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+1)[7]

18. - Top - End - #168
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gaspar's eyebrows raise in surprise.

"Can't say I've had any of Killek's ale before now... is it a new brew then?"

Gaspar looks around for the innkeeper and waves him over.

"Excuse me, sir, how long has this ale been in production? Can't say any of us have had it before. Does it have a name?"

19. - Top - End - #169

Spoiler
    Show
    This is empty!

The innkeeper makes his way over to your table, a continous flow of mugs always in his hands landing at tables who seem to be getting low. You do not spy him picking up any payment from the customers as he sets each mug down.

At your question he seems slightly befuddled and stammers out,
    It's... It's... not been flowing for that long. This harvest is the first in fact. The Vizarch brought the recipe with him when he came into the city a few months ago, and it's .. well, it's been as popular as the Vizarch himself. He's done nothing but remake the city for the best.

You feel very good as more of the liquid reaches your stomach. There is a warm sensation moving about your body that you can't quite place and the tips of your fingers are slightly numb, but you still have no trouble gripping the mug in your hand.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gaspar hears that and sets the mug down, things falling into place and feeling a slight chill come over him. After the innkeeper leaves he leans into the table to whisper.

"Auugh. I think its time to head to the Vizarch. Oh... but you ordered a meal didn't you? Eat it but only drink water before we head there."

21. - Top - End - #171

Augh looks at you and seems affronted,
    Come on Gasp, that can wait. I'm having a good time here.

He picks up a new mug and proceeds to drain a large portion. He wobbles a bit before steadying himself on the table.
    If you're really not having any fun, you could ask the wagonmaster if he wants to go. I doubt we all need to see the Vizarch. Fidd looks like he's being sour, so maybe he'll agree. Although you really ought to just stay and enjoy this festival.

Fidd looks at you and nods, his face still grim. Across the table, Lothos is once again sipping slowly at his drink, but appears disinterested in the conversation.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gaspar sighs and shakes his head, giving up on the stubborn man-bear and standing up with Fidd, leaving the table for the wagonmaster.

"So why did you quit drinking? Know something I don't? All I did was put the pieces in a line and I don't think I want anymore of whatever that was."

23. - Top - End - #173

I didn't like the flavor.
    Says Fidd simply.

Going around the back of the Inn you find the wagonmaster who is sweating profusely and keeping a close eye on the horses.
    So, what's going on? Where are Augh and Lothos? I want to get to the Vizarch and gone as soon as I can. There's something blighted about this whole damned city.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gaspar looks from the wagonmaster to Fidd and back before making sure nobody is around to hear before continuing, in a hushed tone that only they can hear.

"Alright. Here's what I figured out between what they said and what I heard in The Pit. The ale shipments from Killek stopped a few months ago, right around the time the Vizarch took charge. The bartender told me that this brew we tried was FROM the Vizarch. And judging from the bodies outside the city and the people inside. I think that alltogether that's the entire city accounted for. On top of that, the worst thing is that the ooze from those bodies looked identical to the ooze in the tower Auugh and myself investigated. ...Is it coming together for you two as well? I have a feeling that maybe the Vizarch is from that tower. From that gate. And the remaining townsfolk aren't talkative in any way except to get another drink. Auugh seems talkative enough still but Lothos was already like that by the time Fidd and I left."

25. - Top - End - #175

The wagonmaster stares at you as you detail this line of thought. He looks fearful, but nods and climbs into the back of the wagon and you hear him straining with something heavy. He jumps out of the wagon and positions the payment chest on the edge and pops it open.
    Alright fellas. We don't normally dish out pay until the mission is over, for obvious reasons, but I think well...

He hands you and Fidd each a sum of gold, and puts a small portion into his own side pouch.
    Alright, so we're heading to the Vizarch. I don't think we'd get of here alive if we try to avoid him and it's slightly possible he'll make a deal with us for some passage out of town. If we can, we pick up Augh and Lothos, but they're no good to us how they are right now, and if they come to they'll do their best to get back to us.

So.. which way is it?

Acquired:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gold: 12,000
    Last edited by 0nimaru; 2011-08-05 at 07:21 PM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gaspar's eyebrows raise in surprise at the weight of the gold bag before opening it and slowly pouring it carefully into his Unexploitable Money Hole, before answering the wagonmaster.

"I'm not rightly sure what direction it is but surely there's some sort of stone structure visible over the rooftops, no?"

He quickly scans around looking for it and contemplating what might come to pass with the Vizarch and steeling himself for whats ahead.
    Last edited by Winged_Immortal; 2011-08-05 at 07:31 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177

From the alley behind the Inn, you see very little. Once you travel out to the main street which you rode in on you can clearly see a large building in the distance. It rests roughly where you could guess the center of the city to be. It is large and similar to a manor house with several extra towers, but overall the structure is smaller than many castles and priestly fortifications you have seen in other cities.

You travel forward along the street. Fidd and the wagonmaster follow you. The town is empty of all normal traffic and life, but as before.. you catch snatches of motion out of the corner of your eyes and see shapes deeper than shadows in some of the alleys. The stains of the drink are all over the town and you feel an odd twinge as you look upon them. You remember just moments ago when you were drinking.. and pleasant feelings spread warmth through your body, but you continue onward.

At the door to the manner, there are two large and burly guards on either side of the entrance. They are wearing full suits of breastplate armor and greaves, and their helms obscure their faces. Despite this, you can see that there are a few black stains on their chest pieces and on the visors of their helms. They hold their pikes vertical and each pushes one arm backwards, causing the doorway to swing open. The entrance hall is a grand room that would look welcoming if lit, but it is currently covered in dim shadows. Your footsteps echo with each step you take, and you see a grimy trail of blackness smeared across the floor and carpeting. It goes up the grand staircase and seems to draw you along it's path.

You do not remember any specifics, only traveling through the manor, seeing no one, and your two companions continuing to follow the black path with you. Suddenly, you are in an audience chamber. 30 feet away there is a low stone dais with a large rigid chair upon it. Light is being cast from pillars to either side of you which flicker fitfully. The area behind each pillar is utterly dark, but you sense no motion there.

The figure is of an indeterminate size as it is covered in thick layers of cloth. The face is covered by a cowl, and the hands gripping the clothing tight around itself are within light white gloves. As you enter, one hand beckons you to come closer, and a low voice calls
    Welcome.. to my home. I am so glad you accepted my invitation so soon. Have you found the city accommodating?

28. - Top - End - #178
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gaspar feels the hair on the back of his neck stand on end as they approach, trying his best to steady his voice as he speaks.

"The city is, of course, a wonder to behold. It is my first time in Killek and I am impressed by the city. Especially the brew served in the inn. I cannot say I have ever tasted anything quite like it before."

Gaspar elbows the wagonmaster, hoping it will knock him from his silent stupor.

"We were intending to have a drink and then return to the Highgate Traders through the same Gate, but we were told you had business to discuss with us, so we came as soon as we were able."

29. - Top - End - #179

The wagonmaster takes in a sudden breath as he is jabbed and manages to say,
    Y... Yeah, what he said.

The figure on the throne lets out a low laugh that fills the echoing room and pulls back his hood. A male human of some undetermined old age, the Vizarch appears to be in poor health. He has a few wispy hairs clinging to his head and his eyes are sunken and dark, as though he sleeps very little. He lowers his beckoning hand, as none of you have stepped any closer.
    Yes... the Saemenellyk. It is just a simple recipe I brought from my home, but it has taken off like a craze. The production is exhausting, but can you put a price on the happiness of the people? It is this which I have you here for. I wish for you to take shipments of the Saemenellyk in your wagon and distribute it for me. I believe the demand will become rather high.. and I'd require you to work directly for me. The entire Highgate Association eventually, I would hope...

His last few words end in a light hiss as they hang in the air. This talk of business seems to jolt the wagonmaster to attention.
    Now.. we are free traders and we can't be taking on such contracts that would subsume our other works... so.. we'll have to say no to that...

The Vizarch looks displeased and makes an annoyed clicking sound.
    That is less.. than the answer I had been hoping for. I can see your position though.. and that is understandable. Would either of you...
    He looks at both Fidd and yourself in turn.
    ... be willing to accept the role of private carriers?
    Fidd shakes his head slowly and seems tense. He looks into the shadows around the room and towards the door behind you, still open from when you walked in.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gaspar pauses a moment. The bodies around town and the overall lack of living people would encourage his research, but any sort of market would be unlikely nearby, which would result in exhaustive travels just to get any material. And 12,000 for such relatively easy work? He can't pass that sort of coin up. He answers as honestly as possible.

"It's a tempting offer, honest, but I'm afraid I have to decline as well. I'm sure you'll have no problem finding people here to do the job. And as the wagonmaster said, we'd be happy to take contracts to help you, but the policy is that we cannot take a contract that would monopolize our freetrade policy. Apologies, for that."