New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Megadungeon One (IC)

Quote Originally Posted by ForzaFiori View Post
    Ekin
    "Who all can see in the dark here other than me? We might as well just establish this now so we all know. Then, assuming someone else can see, one of us could take point, and the other stay at the back, that way nothing can come up on us in either direction." Ekin points out.
    "I can see fine."

He says pushing up his sunglasses, directing the group South East, that would obviously be the farther part of the mine all things considered, and they had little patience for dealing with scrubs. They would hit the biggest nest and hit the small pockets on the way back, so that way they didn't have to worry about stragglers after they handled the "Main group."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Leodric
    "Darkness is no challenge to me," Leodric says, "but perhaps we ought to help our friend." He uses a light spell on his scimitar, the blade now glowing in the darkness. "I can lead the way if you want."

Noting Gabe's suggestion, Leodric begins moving along the southeast fork. "I suppose one of you can push the cart. If I'm in front I'd rather not worry about moving it. I think having both hands free is safer."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

DM
    So the party turns the minecart onto the southeast track, and push it for a time. The minecart is heavy, but good quality and well-balanced. The bearings leave something to be desired, not having been oiled since the last time it was used, before the mine was abandoned. But all in all, it's not too difficult to push.

Especially once the ground starts to slope fairly sharply downwards. At that point it actually becomes a little difficult to keep it from going out of control down the track.

With the various light sources and darkvision, it's possible to see a fair way down the various twisting side passages. This is a mine where they simply followed the veins of ore wherever they led.

Eventually, though, just after passing by a family of rats (normal rats, albeit which watch the party somewhat suspiciously before scampering off) and three pickaxes leaning against a wall, you discover a heap of rubble blocking the tracks from floor to ceiling. The tunnel has caved in here, blocking further progress on this route.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Code:
          #.#       #.=#
          #.###    ##=##
         ##...##  ##=.#     ###
        ##..#..####=.##     ..#
    ## ##...##..#.==###    ##.#
    ,###..#.###.#=#.=.##   #..#
    ,,#..##.###.=.###=.#  ##.##
    ,,#........=### ##=####..#     ##.#
    ==:=======##     #.=====###   ##..#
    ,,##......##   ###.####.=.#####..##
    ,,###.....### ##...#  ###=.##....#
    ,## #.......   ....#    ##=#..##.#
    ##  #.....### ##...##    #.=.###.###.#
        #*..##     ###..#    ###=###..##.#
        ##.###       ##.       #.==......#
       ###.#                   ##..=.....#
                                #.##w..###
                               ##.###=##
                               .....#.=##
                                .##....rr
                                 #######r
    r - cave-in
    Last edited by Malimar; 2011-07-21 at 05:22 AM.

4. - Top - End - #64

BlueKnightGuy

Leodric
    "Lovely," the druid grumbles. "Well, if there are any centipedes beyond I don't see how we can get to them. Unless you want to start digging," he adds, looking mainly at Gabe. "At least they left some tools."

He examines the rubble, making sure that no centipedes can get in or out through it and looking for any signs of anything buried immediately underneath.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search check: (1d20)[17]

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

While Leodric examines the cave in, Ekin glances in the nearest cavern (the one to the left of the cave in). Keeping to the entrance, he looks for obviously alive in the cave, as well as the basic shape/structure of it.

Spoiler
    Show

hide (in case of baddies): (1d20+7)[15]
    Spot: (1d20+4)[10]

Go Tigers!

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

"Sorry bro, just search the wreck's and see if there's any cold iron in this cave in, **** sells for mad cash, and a few POUNDS would be more than enough to make up for the cost heading down this ill road."

He says giving it a little closer inspection himself, he was really glad he was such a multi talented individual, or this might've been a task he was ill suited to.

Spoiler
    Show

Taking the time to take 20 on a search (cause why not), giving me a final result of 28.... 30 if someone will Aid Another.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

DM
    Leodric and Gabe find rocks. Lots and lots of rocks. Big rocks, little rocks, medium-sized rocks. There's no telling how far back this cave-in goes, but he can tell probably more than ten feet. It would probably be possible to dig through, but it would take quite a long time to dig through.

Gabe's thorough search finds a few pebbles that glint slightly, but they don't have the same slightly chilly feel as cold iron. It could just be that raw ore isn't as recognizable as the finished product, but it's easy to surmise that these pebbles are probably just regular iron. Cold iron is only found deep in the earth, and you're still close to the surface. Plus, you're in one of the oldest parts of the mines: any cold iron in this area was probably cleaned out long ago.

Ekin: The cavern that the rails pass through before they hit the cave-in? In one corner, there's a bit of old garbage, possibly the remains of some unidentifiable animal; the rats had been nibbling at this before they scampered off. Or do you mean one of the two tunnels to the northeast, which are to your character's left if he's standing in that cavern looking at the cave-in? Or the cavern to the west? (Cardinal directions are clearer.)

If the latter (and even if not): Ekin does see the light glinting off several tiny shapes in the two tunnels leading to the room to the west. Something has heard the party, and approaches hungrily, on hundreds of tiny skittering feet which you can all also hear.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Code:
          #.#       #.=#
          #.###    ##=##
         ##...##  ##=.#     ###
        ##..#..####=.##     ..#
                                #.##w..###
                             ####.###=##
                           #.#...12E#KL##
                           #.....##1..Grr
                           ##....#######r
                            ##..##
                             ####
    1 - 1 tiny centipede
    2 - 2 tiny centipedes
    E - Ekin and 4 tiny centipedes

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative:
    Ekin: (1d20+3)[11]
    Keylin: (1d20+3)[12]
    Gabe: (1d20+3)[19]
    Leodric: (1d20)[1]

One of the centipedes got a 22, so they go first. (This initiative system is a little weird on PbP, we may switch away from it later.)
    Last edited by Malimar; 2011-07-21 at 09:42 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Suddenly, Centipedes!

All the centipedes swarm towards Ekin. Some of them don't notice Ekin as he lurks in a corner, and skitter right by him. But four do notice, and swarm around his feet and try to bite him (four centipedes entered your square, and one entered your square and then left, so you may make a free attack of opportunity against any of them with your post, if you have a melee weapon readied).

And apparently these centipedes roll really well, because three of them manage to bite at Ekin's legs through his armor, though he tries to avoid them. And each does their maximum damage, which is also their minimum damage, which is 1. So that's 3 points of damage total, and the poison the old mongrelman mentioned courses through Ekin's veins...
    Spoiler
    Show

Ekin's Fortitude: (1d20+3)[12], (1d20+3)[9], (1d20+3)[11].

...and he feels his legs go slightly numb, also taking 1 point of dexterity damage.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, definitely going to switch to a new initiative system next combat; probably one that bears a much stronger resemblance to the RAW initiative system.

EDIT: Heeey, I didn't notice Ekin's got Improved Initiative. I didn't notice; make sure the init score on your sheet reflects it. (It wouldn't have made a difference this time, and in future you'll be rolling your own initiatives, but still.)
    Last edited by Malimar; 2011-07-21 at 09:49 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69

BlueKnightGuy

Leodric
    Realizing that the way ahead is completely, truly, utterly blocked, Leodric turns to see his smaller companion swarmed by centipedes. Hefting his scimitar, he moves to the clump of vermin and takes a swing at the southernmost creature.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack roll (1d20+3)[19] and damage (1d6+3)[6]. As a side note, I don't really have a problem with the current initiative system, but of course you're welcome to change it. Also: notice how the die roller hated me for initiative count?

Edit: Yay, I think I finally hit something!

Leodric's blade swings down, slicing through the centipede's exoskeleton with all the force the half-orc can muster.
    Last edited by Ivellius; 2011-07-21 at 10:42 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

((by left, I was reffering to the map, so the west cavern. Yay for my luck))

Ekin whips out his rapier as the centipedes close in on him, and lashes out as the first one runs by.

AoO:
    Spoiler
    Show

attack: (1d20+1)[6]
    damage: (1d4)[1]
    God I hate melee as a small character.

As the others swarm him, he yells out to the others "Found some more living gold! Just get them off me!" before retreating back behind Keylin.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving to 1 square north of where Keylin is. Using the withdraw action, so my first 5' doesn't provoke an AoO, and since tiny creatures don't have reach, that should make it so I don't have to worry about any.

Go Tigers!

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Keylin mutters something unclear before heading into combat.

Seeing that they could do little damage, he decides to negate their ability to hurt him as best he can. He lashes out at the nearest one and hopes to provoke them all.

Spoiler
    Show

First before my rolls. I'd really suggest keeping the initiative system the same. Combat shouldn't always start in the PC's favor.. Unless the enemy can one shot us, and then starting in our favor everytime is perfectly fine by me. Anyways, I'd keep doing what your doing.. Combat is going fast so far so let's keep it up.

Attack
    (1d20+4)[14]

Damage
    (2d4+4)[9]
    Using Stone Bones. Which grants DR 5/-. And since they can't get through that, their poison is worthless which means I hope I got the swarm after me and that my teammates kill em quickly.
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Evil Human Sorcerer/Rogue (1st/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Gabe-

Gabe draws his long sword as he moves in to flank with Keylin, no rhymes or raps this time guys, gotta save that for when I have uses of bardic music.

Gabe strides forward, casually twirling his long sword in one hand, after all, it wasn't anything for him to chop up some chump ass Tiny Centipede's, and right now, he was the mother****ing king of dice.

Spoiler
    Show

Chargin': (1d20+6)[24]

Damagin':

(1d8+4)[11]

Possible Crit Confirm:

(1d20+6)[7]

Damage for Crit:

(1d8+4)[7]

Last edited by Fan; 2011-07-23 at 09:45 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

DM
    Ekin swings and misses, unable to hit any of the rat-sized centipedes. Then, yes, he safely withdraws.

Gabe, going next because otherwise there would be allies in the way and he wouldn't be able to charge, saunters forth to strike a centipede with his sword, cleaving off several legs and a large chunk of body. Aside from some twitching, that centipede stops moving.

Leodric hits one of the centipedes, and is messily reduced to two quinquagintipedes, one of which has a back end, one of which has a front end, and both of which are very nearly dead.

Keylin wades into the fray (I assume moving into their square is acceptable) and whacks at one of the centipedes, which squelches and stops moving.

One more centipede enters Keylin's square. It and the two already there try and fail to bite Keylin.

The other two enter Leodric's square, and attempt to bite him - one just bites the air, and one can't get through Leodric's thick armor.

Leodric, Keylin, and Gabe can all make an attack of opportunity against a centipede as they variously pass into and through your squares and threatened squares.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Code:
          #.#       #.=#
          #.###    ##=##
         ##...##  ##=.#     ###
        ##..#..####=.##     ..#
                                #.##w..###
                             ####.###E##
                           #.#.....K#.=##
                           #.....##LG..rr
                           ##....#######r
                            ##..##
                             ####
    K - Keylin and 3 centipedes
    L - Leodric and 2 centipedes

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

Gabe sighs as a centipede tries to crawl away, why did these little suckers ALWAYS try to run? Ah well, as the French say Ce Lie Vie, such is life.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+4)[19]

damage

(1d8+4)[5]

Last edited by Fan; 2011-07-24 at 06:51 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Ekin makes his way back along the tracks, then heads south to enter the room from the other entrance.

Spoiler
    Show

Using two moves to go around the rocks to Ekin's west. 30' of movement puts him 4 to the west of where he is now, in the small passageway entering the room from the north.

Go Tigers!

16. - Top - End - #76

BlueKnightGuy

Leodric
    The druid swipes at one of the critters trying to nibble at his ankles.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack roll: (1d20+3)[23] for (1d6+3)[9] damage.

"These vermin are beginning to be a bit of a nuisance," he muttered.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Gabe gives a centipede a thwack, dislodging it from Leodric's shin and leaving it twitching on the ground.

Leodric crits, splitting another centipede's head evenly down the middle. That will probably not count as two heads, sadly, though there might be enough left to count as one. (It has been reduced from 1hp to -16hp. There is no kill like overkill.)

The three remaining centipedes try and fail to chew on Keylin with their toxignaths.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Code:
          #.#       #.=#
          #.###    ##=##
         ##...##  ##=.#     ###
        ##..#..####=.##     ..#
                                #.##w..###
                             ####E###=##
                           #.#.....K#.=##
                           #.....##LG..rr
                           ##....#######r
                            ##..##
                             ####
    K - Keylin and 3 tiny centipedes
    L - Leodric and 0 tiny centipedes
    There are 5 unconscious/dead tiny centipedes scattered about, too.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Happened to be by a computer for a little while.

Keylin will stand his ground and attempt to murder another one. Deciding that he can't miss if he is to survive, his uses his attack of two once again. As his chain whips outwards, a duplicate appears to strike as well.
    Spoiler
    Show

Attack (1d20+4)[14]
    Attack (1d20+4)[20]
    Damage (2d4+4)[10]
    Cold Damage (1d6)[1]
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Evil Human Sorcerer/Rogue (1st/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

Gabe moves to flank with whomever, and slices again. Man these tiny centipede's were tedious work.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+7)[20] Flanking yay.

(1d8+4)[5]

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Ekin stays where he is, not wanting to accidentally stick one of his friends with his rapier.

Go Tigers!

21. - Top - End - #81

BlueKnightGuy

Leodric
    The druid tries another blow at a centipede.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack roll: (1d20+3)[6] and (1d6+3)[8] damage.

He misses again.
    Last edited by Ivellius; 2011-07-27 at 10:01 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

Keylin swings his chain, and both the real chain and the shadow chain hit home, destroying a centipede into little tiny bits.

There's not actually anywhere Gabe can be and be flanking any of the centipedes; all the free space is opposite a wall. Unless something counts as flanked if it's in an opponent's square, which I don't think it is. Even so, he hits a centipede, and kills it!

Ekin chills, and Leodric misses.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Code:
          #.#       #.=#
          #.###    ##=##
         ##...##  ##=.#     ###
        ##..#..####=.##     ..#
                                #.##w..###
                             ####E###=##
                           #.#.....K#.=##
                           #.....##LG..rr
                           ##....#######r
                            ##..##
                             ####
    K - Keylin and 1 tiny centipede
    There are 7 unconscious/dead tiny centipedes scattered about

There is one centipede left. It's got 14AC and 1HP. It can't hurt Keylin, and it's too stupid to switch targets or run away.

...You can do it. I believe in you.

23. - Top - End - #83

BlueKnightGuy

Leodric
    Slashy slash slash goes the scimitar. These anklebiters are quite fierce...and quite dumb, Leodric thinks.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack roll: (1d20+3)[22] and (1d6+3)[8] damage.

With the final centipede defeated, the druid begins the process of removing the heads and loading them into the cart. (Those that weren't already severed by a solid blow, that is.) "Finally! They weren't kidding when they said the mines were infested, were they?"

Remembering that a few of the centipedes had nibbled on his comrade, he speaks to Ekin. "If you need a couple of berries, I'll get them from my pouch."
    Last edited by Ivellius; 2011-07-28 at 12:47 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

Ekin:

"Probably. They may only be ankle biters to you, but that means knee biters to me." Ekin answers with a grin.

((Ekin's down 3 hp right now (a third of his health! it's been a while since I've played a 1st lv), so 3 berries would be great, but even 1 or 2 would be nice if you don't have many))

Go Tigers!

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

DM
    Yes. The final centipede is, in fact, defeated.

Spoiler
    Show
    Code:
          #.#       #.=#
          #.###    ##=##
         ##...##  ##=.#     ###
        ##..#..####=.##     ..#
                                #.##w..###
                             ####E###=##
                           #.#.....K#.=##
                           #.....##LG..rr
                           ##....#######r
                            ##..##
                             ####
    There are 8 dead centipedes scattered about.

You gain 75 experience for that epic struggle against several creatures who proved incapable of injuring you more than once.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

Gonna load up the centipede's in the minecart, and heads on towards the Room to the west where the Centipede's came from.

"Come on boys, we haven't got all day to spend moping around, and dealing with the small fry. We've got a mine to give a permanent solution too, and we're not gettin' paid by the hour!"

He says leading on, quite fearlessly, though if this is out of stupidity or bravery, you do not know.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot:

(1d20-1)[8] (Low Wisdom, Arghababble.)

Listen:

(1d20-1)[1]

Search: If there's no one in the room.

(1d20+8)[23]

27. - Top - End - #87

BlueKnightGuy

Leodric
    After Gabe helps load the centipedes, Leodric retrieves some berries from his pouch. "They're also quite filling," he says as he hands Ekin three of them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Goodberries restore 1 hit point each and also provide nourishment as if the character had just eaten a meal. That leaves me with 2 remaining.

The druid falls in line at the back of the group, unless no one else wants to directly follow Gabe. He stays ready for any more centipedes...or other creatures.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

Ekin

"Fank du" Ekin says through a somewhat full mouth. When he finishes, he continues. "Those actually aren't that bad, for berries. Now, as much as I hate to admit it, Gabe has a point. We need to get going."

Go Tigers!

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

DM
    The eight tiny centipedes are loaded into the cart, then the party advances! Gabe explores the room, searching it thoroughly. In a sort of nest that might have been the sleeping place of that particular cluster of centipedes, Gabe finds a discarded belt and some assorted other trash.

He also discovers some additional tunnels to the west. One, sloping sharply upwards, leads back northwest, probably to the mine's entrance. Another leads in a general southerly direction.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Code:
          #.#       #.=#
          #.###    ##=##
         ##...##  ##=.#     ###
        ##..#..####=.##     ..#
    ,,###.....######...#  ###=.##....#
    ,## #..............#    ##=#..##.#
    ##  #.....######...##    #.=.###.###.#
        #*..##     ###..##   ###=###..##.#
        ##.###       ##..##    #.==......#
       ###.#          ##..#    ##..=.....#
                       ##.##    #.##w..###
                        #..######E###=##
                       ###...#.....K#.=##
                       #...#.G...##L...rr
                        .####....#######r
                            ##..##
                             ####
    Last edited by Malimar; 2011-07-30 at 10:40 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

Bardic Knowledge on the Belt (wont give me every detail, but will give me a hint towards it's general function):

(1d20+3)[11]

Taking' Twenty on Spellcraft: 22 (Damn you low mental stats! Still gonna cast Detect Magic along with this...)

"Belt goes into the cart till' we find out who can use it best!

He says after a minute spent examining it fruitlessly, gat damn magic items, you never could find out which were actually useful till' you let a mage look at them.

Never the less, down the hidden southern pass, he once again pulls out the parchment though, and scrapes it down onto his map. Better to have some indicator of where to go in case they ever got turned around.
    Last edited by Fan; 2011-07-31 at 03:23 PM.