New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1482
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

OK, I finally finished the mechanics for the Executor of Bedlam. I had major difficulty wording the final two abilities, and I'm worried that they're damn confusing. Do they make sense at all? How does the rest of it look?

I'll finish the fluff as soon as I can.
    (member in good standing of the troll-feeder's guild)

I am the assassin of productivity.

Super boss Muscle Wizard avvie by Ceika.

gitp extended sig
    minmaxboards extended sig (more stuff)

2. - Top - End - #1232

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    If you wanted to make a class around your template, I'd be fine with that.

-X

Much obliged.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

3. - Top - End - #1233

Slaadborn rager is up. PEACHes welcome.

EDIT: I'm statting out my example NPC and I can't find guidance anywhere on how to assign ability scores. Is it elite array?
    Last edited by sengmeng; 2013-01-28 at 03:23 PM.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Ogre in the Playground

The example NPC is optional, and I doubt that anyone will count up their attributes to see what system you used. Elite array is easy, so I would suggest that.

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glimbur View Post
    The example NPC is optional, and I doubt that anyone will count up their attributes to see what system you used. Elite array is easy, so I would suggest that.
    Agreed on both counts. Thank you Glimbur!

Also, glad to see another new entry WaylanderX, but don't forget to put the end of the entry fluff at the end for completeness or your class will be DQ'd for being incomplete.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

6. - Top - End - #1236

*Bump!*

Also, to justify the bump, a peach of the Abyssal Apprentice.

Spoiler
    Show
    So, it looks like this is following in the footsteps of the Elemental Savant (I think is the name) or the Giant's Elemental Infiltrator PrCs. Basically, becoming gradually and increasingly fiend-like over the course of the PrC. I like the idea, though it would be interesting to know more about how Abyssal Apprentices typically enter into these relationships. More elaboration on that point would be great!

Mechanically, nothing looks particularly egregious. It might even be underpowered. It doesn't really progress any other class abilities, so whatever route you take to qualify for the PrC, you'll be giving up a lot. It seems like a better option for a melee character than anything else, especially since most conventional melee classes are fairly light on fantastic class features. It would be hard for a fighter to qualify though, given the skill requirements.

The only thing that looks like a question mark to me is the Demonic Perfection ability. It would be a good idea to spell out more explicitly what the relationship between the Abyssal Apprentice and their demonic minion is. How much control does the Apprentice exert? What happens if the minion doesn't do what the Apprentice says? How (if at all) does the Apprentice control the minion? Mental commands/telepathy? Shouted verbal commands? How independently does the minion operate.

All of the other classes look well within the bounds of reasonable to me. Maybe even, like I said, a little underpowered, considering what you might be giving up to take levels in the class. If you're looking for ideas, demons have a ton of diverse and useful abilities that you might consider granting. Some of these more unique abilities would really kick the class up a notch and make it more attractive.
    The Scroungers Campaign Setting
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew
    A Zombiemageddon Campaign Journal!

7. - Top - End - #1237

*Bumping too*

My Chaos Manifester is all done with nice amounts of fluff and a nice high level encounter to match. If anyone wants to PEACH the prc I'd be very happy and would repay the favor with moar PEACHes!! (I ate a PEACH and it was 'ke)
    A swordmaster never backs off, I'll cut you to ribbons with my almighty sabre! CHAOS DANCE!!

Nyllana OotS Avatar by Lord FullBladder, Master of Goblins!

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here
    My Extended Homebrew Sig!

Currently writing a fantasy novel: The Dawn of Life!
    People willing to provide feedback are appreciated

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Stylemaster

I don't care about winning (I stopped caring about e-peen once I became a game dev; people who care too much about what other people think usually wash out); I just wanted to make this class. See my thought process at the bottom of the linked post.

I'll finish the fluff later in the day.

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dark.Revenant View Post
    Stylemaster

I don't care about winning (I stopped caring about e-peen once I became a game dev; people who care too much about what other people think usually wash out); I just wanted to make this class. See my thought process at the bottom of the linked post.

I'll finish the fluff later in the day.
    Well if you're a dev I'd suggest throwing your editor at it because the wording on your abilities is all over the place and nowhere near formatted correctly. Other thoughts:

- What's up with that Fort save? That's not a standard progression - hell, it's not even a Medium progression, which can sometimes fly. If it's a Good save, make it Good. If it's Medium, fix it. As it stands it's weird for no reason.

- The progression on Style Mastery is odd as hell and doesn't seem to have much to do with the balancing factors of the various feats/weapons. Stunning Fist in particular is only really going to work if you have the spare ability score(s) to jack accuracy and the DC up.

- Quick Draw makes Cunning redundant, since it's also a free action, you an already interrupt your own actions with free actions, and it has no /round limit.

- Bedlam seems okay, but cripes man, you've given us a bunch of points and nothing to spend them on. Why the passive abilities?

- The wording on Adaptation is hideous. "Whenever an enemy makes an attack roll against the Stylemaster" is the correct wording, in addition to making more sense in English.

- Wording on Spontaneity is broken, you're missing a few words, and the ability itself is very potent. Brokenly potent? Possibly not, given how shafted melee is in Pathfinder, but potent enough to watch.

- Spectacular synergy...yawn. I mean, I've gotten this ability twice now, and here it is a third time at incredible effort cost! Most fights will be over before I reach 21 style points unless I take Great Cleave and throw a bag of rats into the air at the start of every combat to fuel up with.

- And then we get to the capstone that is not only worded non-functionally in the second part, but would be broken in the first part except, oh wait, everything will be dead before you ever see that many combo points ever ever ever.

- I wanted to address the Combat section. Namely that the advice in there? It's terrible advice. Armor Class provides returns that diminish and diminish rapidly. What you want is miss chances, non-armor class defenses like Mirror Image and Stoneskin, and some method of making yourself (and not the infinitely more dangerous spellcaster) a target.

- You really phoned in the "NPC Reaction" schtick.

In Summation: The class has broad holes in the bones and wording of it and the fluff could've been done much better. Additionally, it represents a massive money sink the likes of which melee cannot afford if it actually intends on fighting evil (or, for that matter, good) in a level-appropriate fashion. Reading your dev notes I can see that you had high intentions, but this is probably the exact wrong way to go about it - you don't have enough feats to burn, the feats are terrible in any event, and the class just feels so incredibly passive rather than active. The concept is definitely worth looking into, but perhaps in a different way. Have you considered using Tome of Battle and, say, some method of spontaenously swapping maneuvers?

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

10. - Top - End - #1240

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Well if you're a dev I'd suggest throwing your editor at it because the wording on your abilities is all over the place and nowhere near formatted correctly
    Pathfinder formatting style. You'll find that it's written similar to how Paizo does things because several sections are essentially cut-and-paste from Pathfinder classes. Genuine errors will be edited out later.

- What's up with that Fort save? That's not a standard progression - hell, it's not even a Medium progression, which can sometimes fly. If it's a Good save, make it Good. If it's Medium, fix it. As it stands it's weird for no reason.
    Pathfinder. That's exactly how the save progression is on Pathfinder PrCs. See the Eldritch Warrior, for example; his table looks identical to the one I used.

- The progression on Style Mastery is odd as hell and doesn't seem to have much to do with the balancing factors of the various feats/weapons. Stunning Fist in particular is only really going to work if you have the spare ability score(s) to jack accuracy and the DC up.
    Haven't gone into the balance cycle yet; right now it's just in the concept refinement phase, so I threw down the various weapon types at gut-feeling spots.

- Quick Draw makes Cunning redundant, since it's also a free action, you an already interrupt your own actions with free actions, and it has no /round limit.
    Cunning works on alchemical items, potions, scrolls, wands, and shields (assuming the action time is move, which is not always the case for potions, etc.) unlike Quick Draw.

- Bedlam seems okay, but cripes man, you've given us a bunch of points and nothing to spend them on. Why the passive abilities?
    Wasn't finished fleshing out all the style rank abilities. All or most of them will have a point-spender and a point-generator.

- The wording on Adaptation is hideous. "Whenever an enemy makes an attack roll against the Stylemaster" is the correct wording, in addition to making more sense in English.
    Editing cycle hasn't been done yet, but I agree.

- Wording on Spontaneity is broken, you're missing a few words, and the ability itself is very potent. Brokenly potent? Possibly not, given how shafted melee is in Pathfinder, but potent enough to watch.
    Psionics has been doing it since Hustle; the only unique part is the immediate action, which costs a lot. Also yeah, the wording got changed around too many times and ended up dead.

- Spectacular synergy...yawn. I mean, I've gotten this ability twice now, and here it is a third time at incredible effort cost! Most fights will be over before I reach 21 style points unless I take Great Cleave and throw a bag of rats into the air at the start of every combat to fuel up with.
    See response to Bedlam; more ways to gain points will ensure faster gain. Also, I'm going to throw all the point-gain part of the style rank abilities into Combo so they work all the time.

- And then we get to the capstone that is not only worded non-functionally in the second part, but would be broken in the first part except, oh wait, everything will be dead before you ever see that many combo points ever ever ever.
    The first capstone ability is the same as the Adaptive Warrior's (psionics expanded) but not as powerful. I'm redoing the wording for those style feat portions, in any case, just like most of the writing on the class will eventually go through.

- I wanted to address the Combat section. Namely that the advice in there? It's terrible advice. Armor Class provides returns that diminish and diminish rapidly. What you want is miss chances, non-armor class defenses like Mirror Image and Stoneskin, and some method of making yourself (and not the infinitely more dangerous spellcaster) a target.
    Wrote it in the morning when my brain was running on coffee and fumes. I'm definitely redoing that section.

- You really phoned in the "NPC Reaction" schtick.
    It's what happens when you try writing fluff during a (boring) engineering class. In the morning. Don't do it, man.

In Summation: The class has broad holes in the bones and wording of it and the fluff could've been done much better. Additionally, it represents a massive money sink the likes of which melee cannot afford if it actually intends on fighting evil (or, for that matter, good) in a level-appropriate fashion. Reading your dev notes I can see that you had high intentions, but this is probably the exact wrong way to go about it - you don't have enough feats to burn, the feats are terrible in any event, and the class just feels so incredibly passive rather than active. The concept is definitely worth looking into, but perhaps in a different way. Have you considered using Tome of Battle and, say, some method of spontaenously swapping maneuvers?
    Tome of Battle is 3.5 and thus doesn't fit into the same continuum of the PF style feats. Since I prefer the PF rule changes, adapting Tome of Battle would be a task outside the scope of the contest and would be too much of a hassle for any DM to consider for a single PrC. A better solution in this case IMO is to write some better style feats, which is actually what I planned to do. Don't know if that will disqualify me, though. Also, the money sink issue will be fixed in part with a much-needed enhancement bonus ability. The passivity is an artifact of having few low-tier style point spenders, which I'm going to fix.

Thank you for the feedback; I will improve the class accordingly.
    Last edited by Dark.Revenant; 2013-02-01 at 11:05 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Firbolg in the Playground

No problem to toss the critique out there.

Re: Writing New Feats - I've written new feats (and used them as pre-reqs!) and other folks have written new content outside the scope of just the PrC before. If you write it and it's finished by the time the contest is over, it's in and could affect how folks view your class. I'd say go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

12. - Top - End - #1242

Griffon

I have revised and completed the gameplay portion of Stylemaster. Fluff will be done later, as my weekend will be busy.

He might be a bit too good now. If this turns out to be the case, I'll have to make the entrance requirements more strict.

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Titan in the Playground

Making the PrC formatting and save progressions exactly like Pathfinder's seems fine and dandy, but rather off for a contest aimed at 3.5, especially since there's another one specifically for Pathfinder.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Making the PrC formatting and save progressions exactly like Pathfinder's seems fine and dandy, but rather off for a contest aimed at 3.5, especially since there's another one specifically for Pathfinder.
    This contest has been open to Pathfinder for months, Morph. I don't have a problem with people creating Pathfinder PrC for the contest. I only ask that they some how denote that it is for PF or 3.5 somewhere.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, must've missed the note in between. Since the other ones always have been solely 3.5, I just assumed the same of this one.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Ogre in the Playground

Chaos Manifester PEACH

'Manifester' usually means a psionic class. This is a spell casting class. You might consider a name change to avoid confusing people. It's the classic 'WotC needs a thesaurus' problem.

Special: Must have casted only spells with the chaotic descriptor on the level before this class and must have used a summoning spell of at least spell-level 3 to summon a creature with a chaotic alignment OR Delirionist level 5.
    It is very difficult to only cast [chaos] spells for a whole level. I might reduce it to 'must know at least one [chaos] spell and not have cast any [law] spells last level'. Where is the Delerionist from?

Choose six skills is kind of strong, but whatever. Even UMD isn't a huge deal.

d6 hit die is larger than some casters get. Not a big deal.

Half BAB and good Will are pretty standard, but good Ref is a bit unusual.

9/10 casting progression is quite strong.

How does Chaos Familiar interact with a normal familiar? Can I have both?

The large Chaos Elemental at level 7 is useful. Is this affected by abilities that change summoning, like the Augment Summon feat?

Limbo Control is thematic and of reasonable power.

Chaos Avatar is a decent capstone. It's not necessary to take 50% hp damage when it ends.

CHAOS MANIFESTERS IN THE GAME
    When placing this class in your game, expect alot of summoning and mental debuffs. Although it is not as powerfull as the calling spells, it is more spammable and thus might be a bit more powerwork then usual.
    I found a typo.

This class starts out by getting interesting and flavorful abilities, but after level 3 the levels are pretty much dead. Stuff in more abilities, and maybe drop another caster level to pay for it.

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Ah, must've missed the note in between. Since the other ones always have been solely 3.5, I just assumed the same of this one.
    Its been that way for a while, since Epically Destined. It's been a small note and yeah, I didn't really make a major announcement about it. But yeah, the little PF note has been there. I like Pathfinder (please don't stone me in the street) so I like to extend that courtesy to those who enjoy it but despise the mutants on Paizo's forums as I do.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:

18. - Top - End - #1248

Just a few comments on the Adept of Loki.

I like it overall. It's an interesting concept and most of the abilities are fairly well-balanced, though it seems like its more for the lolz than for actual use in a campaign, especially given Grand Prize at 10th level . It's difficult to PEACH because nothing comes at a predictable level, but I have a few concerns.

First, the Erratic Action ability could be extremely powerful and could potentially come very early in the character's progression. Multiple standard actions means multiple spells per round, which can be pretty overwhelming no matter what level we're talking about. Also, how does this ability interact with full-round actions? If you have 3+ standard actions, can you use two of them to take a full-round action and then use the remainder for other things?

I'm also finding the SLA section somewhat confusing, particularly how an Adept of Loki should go about rolling for his daily SLAs. I assume the answer is "count how many SLAs a given level has and roll a die with that many sides," but I'm finding the list format somewhat difficult. I know you're probably sick of making them at this point, but a table would make this a lot easier. Also, it might be good to try and divorce the language of this section from the convention of numbered levels. So, rather than "at third level" say "when he has 3 levels in the Adept of Loki PrC." Because it is entirely possible for an Adept of Loki to not have third level.

My final concern is about the utility of the class' abilities that are based on class level. If you have a low Bizarre Limits roll and roll to get abilities that have a strong class level-based power curve, they're going to become pretty useless as you get into higher levels. And barring things like bloodline levels, I can't think of a way to increase your class level for these abilities.

Those are my thoughts. Again, a very interesting class!
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #1249

Chaos Manifester PEACH

'Manifester' usually means a psionic class. This is a spell casting class. You might consider a name change to avoid confusing people. It's the classic 'WotC needs a thesaurus' problem.

It is very difficult to only cast [chaos] spells for a whole level. I might reduce it to 'must know at least one [chaos] spell and not have cast any [law] spells last level'. Where is the Delerionist from?

Choose six skills is kind of strong, but whatever. Even UMD isn't a huge deal.

d6 hit die is larger than some casters get. Not a big deal.

Half BAB and good Will are pretty standard, but good Ref is a bit unusual.

9/10 casting progression is quite strong.

The large Chaos Elemental at level 7 is useful. Is this affected by abilities that change summoning, like the Augment Summon feat?

Limbo Control is thematic and of reasonable power.

Chaos Avatar is a decent capstone. It's not necessary to take 50% hp damage when it ends.

I found a typo.

This class starts out by getting interesting and flavorful abilities, but after level 3 the levels are pretty much dead. Stuff in more abilities, and maybe drop another caster level to pay for it.
    Thank you for the PEACH, you strike some very valid points.

Changed it to the prereq you mentioned, that is indeed better.
    Delirionist is a Baseclass I made that revolved around insanity and chaos, which kind off fits the theme.

Good call, maybe I should mention that you can only have 1 and that you can merge them? For example,that the normal familiar gains the pseudonatural template and the other way around, that the elemental gains 3/4 of its masters health instead?

but good Ref is a bit unusual.
    Chaos is quite unpredictable, also movement wise. This is ment to reflect that a bit.

Yes, like I mentioned, it works and counts as a Conjuration (Summoning) spell.

It's not necessary to take 50% hp damage when it ends.
    Not too strong without it? Mkay, fixed then.

Very well, thanks for the heads up, I'll get to work on filling it in a bit more.
    A swordmaster never backs off, I'll cut you to ribbons with my almighty sabre! CHAOS DANCE!!

Nyllana OotS Avatar by Lord FullBladder, Master of Goblins!

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here
    My Extended Homebrew Sig!

Currently writing a fantasy novel: The Dawn of Life!
    People willing to provide feedback are appreciated

20. - Top - End - #1250

And a PEACH of the Slaadborn Rager.

Another interesting class! This one seems somewhat...unfocused. Or at least not certain where its focus should be. And not intentionally like some of the other classes in this contest. It appears that there is a disconnect between the class abilities and the prerequisites. The class abilities make for a PrC that's best played very barbarian-like. Lots of raging, high physical abilities, high BAB, lots of melee. They also seem to build on a character that can change her own shape through some ability (as opposed to someone changing her shape for her. At least, if she wants to make regular use of the Slaadform ability. I hope I'm not wrong in seeing things this way.

Then you look at the prerequisites. First, there's nothing precluding someone from being the target of Polymorph and then entering this class. If you actually want the character to change her own shape, make it explicit in the prerequisites. Second, other than the high BAB requirement, nothing prevents someone from dipping barbarian for 1 level and having all of their other levels in a non-barbarian class like Druid or Wizard. In fact, these would be easy ways to fulfill the shapeshifting prerequisite, were it not for the fact that none of the class abilities other than Alternate Form provide for any continuation of non-barbarian class abilities.

So, barring racial shape changing abilities, a character can only become a slaadborn rager by being barb1/druid5/other full BAB class 3 or barb 1/wizard 3/other full BAB class 5. Which is a lot investment in abilities that aren't really supported by continuing the class, unless you go the druid route. And even then, all you get is more wild shape. Perhaps this isn't the most strident criticism since the slaadform ability does give limited shapechanging to even those who aren't able to do it themselves, but it's something to think about.

Mania: I like this ability, but I wonder about how you've written it. Specifically, the line about how the ability deals Wisdom damage while giving a corresponding bonus to physical ability scores. That strikes me as dangerous, since the Wisdom damage wouldn't go away after the duration ends; it has its own fixed healing rate. So you could only use this ability once, maybe twice a day before your Wisdom hits dangerous levels. Especially at higher levels. I'd change it to wording similar to the Drunken Master's Drink Like a Demon ability. Unless this was your intent, in which case carry on !

Slaadform: Another interesting ability, but it needs some clarification. Out-of-the-box slaadi have more hit dice than you could ever have when you change into them, based on this ability. How do you reduce their hit dice? What abilities are kept and lost? I don't think that it would be outrageous to just let a slaadborn rager just turn into the base slaadi without the hit dice reduction, as long as they are within the restrictions of the ability they use to shapeshift. Also, I assume that you gain or don't gain special abilities/qualities according the rules for the method by which you change your shape. If so, you should probably say this explicitly.

Chaos Form: Again, Wisdom damage seems too high a cost here. I'd suggest just a temporary reduction in Wisdom until the slaadborn rager changes back rather than actual Wisdom damage.

Finally, there appears to be a small typo on the half-slaad template. The natural armor listed doesn't match with the amount in mutation 4 of list 1. Which is it?

Those are my thoughts. I hope they're helpful. Great class!
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mephibosheth View Post
    Just a few comments on the Adept of Loki.
    Thanks! I wondered if anyone would be brave enough to PEACH this thing.

I'm changing up Erratic Action so you get a move action and, on average, one fewer standard action. That will help a little. Also, you really can't be a good spellcaster as an Adept of Loki. Your SLA's are of dubious utility, and it doesn't progress normal casting. You could probably UMD like nobody's business, it might be worth limiting that to 1/turn.

I'll throw in more tables later. The SLA's are kind of a mess.

The abilities that grow with level that you are unlikely to be able to max out are part of the 'charm' of the class, if you can call it that. I recognize that it's a balance issue but I don't really want to scale things by character level because it makes dips... actually, I guess I could do that. I'll ponder that as well. Thanks!

22. - Top - End - #1252

Thanks! I wondered if anyone would be brave enough to PEACH this thing.
    It is a bit of a challenge, considering that every ability could come at EL 6 or EL 15!

I'm changing up Erratic Action so you get a move action and, on average, one fewer standard action. That will help a little. Also, you really can't be a good spellcaster as an Adept of Loki. Your SLA's are of dubious utility, and it doesn't progress normal casting. You could probably UMD like nobody's business, it might be worth limiting that to 1/turn.
    I guess I'm not so worried about the Adept of Loki SLAs but about conventional spells that the character might have coming into the class or gain after it's over. Especially if they only take 1 or 2 levels in Adept and had spellcasting levels going in and coming out. Those spells could be significantly more powerful.
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Ogre in the Playground

I have added tables to the spell like ability section. I also added another small nerf to Erratic Action: if you gain more than 2 standard actions in a turn you get 0 standard actions next turn. It is only a small nerf, this is still a tempting dip for spellcasters for a level or two provided you cheat and ensure you get the right abilities. And you are ok with needing to cheat every round, or you can live with sometimes not getting standard actions.

24. - Top - End - #1254

Excellent! That makes things much clearer and much less prone to abuse. I actually think that taking away standard actions on the subsequent round adds to the flavor of the PrC; the Adept of Loki's powers flare up and he's stunned (not literally, but you know) by it the next round. Nice!
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, Shadowsaint of the Bladesworn has been revamped, now with 200% more Paladin! I'm at the fruit market now, will give out PEACHes when I get back from the city.

Does anyone know what kind of attribution I'd need for an image file given to me by a friends for the express use of this contest?

26. - Top - End - #1256

Quote Originally Posted by Techwarrior View Post
    Alright, Shadowsaint of the Bladesworn has been revamped, now with 200% more Paladin! I'm at the fruit market now, will give out PEACHes when I get back from the city.
    So, to qualify for this PrC, you need to be warlock 2/martial adept 2/paladin 2? And then it progresses the main ability of all three classes? Interesting...
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #1257

I might think of throwing something together in the last few days. Something about using the insanity of the Far Realm.
    Akrim.elf made my wonderful ponytar.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Curse that infernal yellowish-brown text right under comics! When shall you turn normal brown again?" -every OOTS fan ever.
    I support laziness. Call me Z if you can't be bothered to spell my full name.
    Come help build a fantasy setting!

28. - Top - End - #1258

Quote Originally Posted by sirpercival View Post
    EXECUTOR OF BEDLAM
    Hrm...Not sure if 3.5 or Pathfinder. I'll assume 3.5...Lemme see.

The table's a wee bit confusing on maneuvers Known/Readied/Etc. Am I to assume that a "zero" means no increase, and a "1" is a new maneuver/stance? If so, it might just be easier for readers if you go with totals.

Surging Strike:
    you may reduce your sneak attack dice by up to 3d6. If you do so, your attack carries a random effect with it; roll the same number of d6 you reduced your sneak attack by and look up the resulting effect on the Surge Table, below. The maximum result you can achieve on the table is 13.
    Unless you intended to limit it to 13, this should be 18. And if you can only reach 18, why did you include the higher numbers? Overall, the effects seem pretty handy.

Wild Adept is a pretty neat concept. Does a penalty to Initiator level cause a maneuver to fail if it's too high a level? (Ex. an IL 9 EoB rolls a 1 for Wild Adept while initiating a level 5 maneuver, so his IL falls to 7, less than needed to learn 5th-level maneuvers. Does it go ker-poots?)

Wreak Havoc seems like a pretty balanced ability. Give up your stance ability & a swift action for it, but it's not too weak. And, uh, does this also apply to attacks from ranged Weapon-Like Spells?

Does Random Flash function in darkness or supernatural darkness?

I like that Anarchy flash ability. While it seems a bit odd that its save DC is based of Dexterity, but I suppose that may be to cut down on MADness. Perhaps you may want to change "Each time the subject of Anarchy Flash targets your enemies or allies instead of its own enemies or allies..."

with "Each time the subject of Anarchy Flash confuses an ally for an enemy, or vice versa, and affects them accordingly..."

All in all, a decent, playable class, most of the flaws are pretty much just grammatical kerfluffle. I'd appreciate you PEACHing my class from the Base Class Contest. I'll probably get into the next PrC contest.
    Last edited by malonkey1; 2013-02-11 at 09:12 PM.
    White is my color for internal monologue. (without the black highlight, of course)

Judge's choice in the Pathfinder Grab Bag XIX
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar by the ever-brilliant Ceika

Paizocarnum - A 3.p update of Incarnum, now in PDF!
    The Beastmaster: Master of Beasts! (Pathfinder homebrew class)

29. - Top - End - #1259

Quote Originally Posted by malonkey1 View Post
    Hrm...Not sure if 3.5 or Pathfinder. I'll assume 3.5...Lemme see.
    Hey, thanks!!

The table's a wee bit confusing on maneuvers Known/Readied/Etc. Am I to assume that a "zero" means no increase, and a "1" is a new maneuver/stance? If so, it might just be easier for readers if you go with totals.
    Yes, that's the official format for ToB classes for some reason. It'd be much more intuitive if it was "+1" vs "+0", but c'est la vie.

Unless you intended to limit it to 13, this should be 18. And if you can only reach 18, why did you include the higher numbers? Overall, the effects seem pretty handy.
    I intended to limit it to 13 -- as you increase in level, both the number of dice you can spend and your limits go up.

Wild Adept is a pretty neat concept. Does a penalty to Initiator level cause a maneuver to fail if it's too high a level? (Ex. an IL 9 EoB rolls a 1 for Wild Adept while initiating a level 5 maneuver, so his IL falls to 7, less than needed to learn 5th-level maneuvers. Does it go ker-poots?)
    Hm, good question. It still happens, just with a lower maneuver level (like the artificer's 3d6 fireball example). I'm not in favor of class features that make you waste actions. I'll clarify.

Wreak Havoc seems like a pretty balanced ability. Give up your stance ability & a swift action for it, but it's not too weak. And, uh, does this also apply to attacks from ranged Weapon-Like Spells?
    It's a ranged attack, so yes.

Does Random Flash function in darkness or supernatural darkness?
    Hm. Well, as written, it's not a light effect, so it should. It doesn't match the fluff, though. Lemme think about it, and I'll clarify either way.

I like that Anarchy flash ability. While it seems a bit odd that its save DC is based of Dexterity, but I suppose that may be to cut down on MADness. Perhaps you may want to change "Each time the subject of Anarchy Flash targets your enemies or allies instead of its own enemies or allies..."

with "Each time the subject of Anarchy Flash confuses an ally for an enemy, or vice versa, and affects them accordingly..."
    Good idea.

All in all, a decent, playable class, most of the flaws are pretty much just grammatical kerfluffle. I'd appreciate you PEACHing my class from the Base Class Contest. I'll probably get into the next PrC contest.
    Yes, the grammar was hard to figure in a few places...

I'll take a look when I can, though my plate is extremely full right now.
    Last edited by sirpercival; 2013-02-11 at 09:43 PM.
    (member in good standing of the troll-feeder's guild)

I am the assassin of productivity.

Super boss Muscle Wizard avvie by Ceika.

gitp extended sig
    minmaxboards extended sig (more stuff)

30. - Top - End - #1260

Quote Originally Posted by sirpercival View Post
    I intended to limit it to 13 -- as you increase in level, both the number of dice you can spend and your limits go up.
    ...OH!!! 13d6! I thought you meant a maximum roll of 13! Duh!
    White is my color for internal monologue. (without the black highlight, of course)

Judge's choice in the Pathfinder Grab Bag XIX
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar by the ever-brilliant Ceika

Paizocarnum - A 3.p update of Incarnum, now in PDF!
    The Beastmaster: Master of Beasts! (Pathfinder homebrew class)