New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 223738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1498
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [BitP:R OOC thread] Bleach Style Ultimate Technique#17: Big words cause more pain

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    maximus25:

A few notes.

1.)As I understand it, all souls in Soul Society generally lose their memories of their old life. It's not something that particularly marks them as a Menos/Gillian that was purified.
    2.)While the 78th ring (which is big, and goes in 4 cardinal directions) is no paradise, I'm pretty sure it's far enough in Hollow attacks don't happen. I've taken to understand that, barring something like an intentional strike from the Espada or some such, Hollows don't come in any closer than the 80th District.
    3.)It's very unclear as to what age he was when he joined the Academy. But no matter what, it wasn't recently enough that the 9th Division was Captain-less. The promotion of the Captain of 9th Division happened in-game something like two in-game months ago. So while he could have joined the Division with the intent to maybe become its Captain eventually, it wouldn't have been because it was Captain-less.
    4.)There's no mention of his Shikai. When did he achieve it? What is his Shikai? All your zanpakuto entry has is what it looks like unreleased.
    5.)How long has he been working to achieve Bankai?
    6.)What will his Bankai be? You can designate "not yet achieved" but still put it up here, so that we can make sure it's not too off-kilter or anything.
    7.)His entry on sword skill is a bit generic, but your choice I suppose.
    The "Story so far" Page only has like, 21 days on it though...
    Sir Dan Avatar by Mrgone!

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: [BitP:R OOC thread] Bleach Style Ultimate Technique#17: Big words cause more pain

Eh. One way or another, it was a very short amount of time, that was the point I was trying to get across.
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute! A 5th seat as a candidate in a division with a VC?

Now lemme break this down for you.

Hollow Attacks In Rukongai: We try to avoid making other divisions look incompetent, even in backstory. Pretty sure some division takes care of Hollows in the Soul Society, or at least patrols.

"Potential": History Tips: Never, ever, ever mention things like 'potential' or 'great destiny' or something. When I look back at places where I did that, I feel a deep sense of shame, because it's a total cop-out. Maybe he was fast-tracked because of the Cold War, and his High Spiritual Pressure meant that he was fast-tracked to a seat?

Similarities: You seem to have written both characters as the same person. Both have a love/hate relationship with fighting, seem calm, and aren't stupid.

Can't use Kido: Okay, that's a bit far. Sure, some incompetence with Kido would be acceptable for a high seated officer, but definitely not a complete inability to use it at all! That's ridiculous! Hell, even Renji's inability to use it was an @#$pull, and made no sense.

Vague: Be more descriptive. Why did he want to be a Shinigami? What does his facial structure look like? Does he wear glasses? Because right now, in my mind, this is your character. He's short, has brown well-cropped hair, and seems pretty fit.

Need a quick review of HECATE's updated things before I attempt to figure out introduction things.

Cause we're on the character review as is.
    Last edited by Terry576; 2011-09-06 at 09:01 PM.
    I make avatars. Send me a request.
    BiTP:RCharacters
    Let's Play: Video Games!
    I suffer from major insomnia, don't be surprised if I'm on at odd hours.

4. - Top - End - #1384

maximus25:

A few notes.

1.)As I understand it, all souls in Soul Society generally lose their memories of their old life. It's not something that particularly marks them as a Menos/Gillian that was purified.
    2.)While the 78th ring (which is big, and goes in 4 cardinal directions) is no paradise, I'm pretty sure it's far enough in Hollow attacks don't happen. I've taken to understand that, barring something like an intentional strike from the Espada or some such, Hollows don't come in any closer than the 80th District.
    3.)It's very unclear as to what age he was when he joined the Academy. But no matter what, it wasn't recently enough that the 9th Division was Captain-less. The promotion of the Captain of 9th Division happened in-game something like two in-game months ago. So while he could have joined the Division with the intent to maybe become its Captain eventually, it wouldn't have been because it was Captain-less.
    4.)There's no mention of his Shikai. When did he achieve it? What is his Shikai? All your zanpakuto entry has is what it looks like unreleased.
    5.)How long has he been working to achieve Bankai?
    6.)What will his Bankai be? You can designate "not yet achieved" but still put it up here, so that we can make sure it's not too off-kilter or anything.
    7.)His entry on sword skill is a bit generic, but your choice I suppose.
    1.)I thought they did remember? I can change it tho.

2.) I thought hollows did attack? That's why the districts are managed by squads? But no matter, I can revise it.

3.) It says in the current character registry that 9th division is captainless. I can change to a different squad.

4.) I don't have any ideas on his Shikai yet.

5.) Ever since he got out of the academy, so about 3 or 4 months. Not enough time to achieve significant results, but he is working.

6.) I'm working on some ideas, but am welcome to suggestions.

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Ettin in the Playground

Renji was not incapable of using kido. It just exploded on his face sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Actually, Terry's right.

The Kido thing likely gets a full pass in 11th.They don't really do Kido there. Other Divisions, it might work.

But I'd think 9th kind of requires it, since it's the Scouting Division.

I would highly recommend you go and read this page if you really want to be in 9th.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus25 View Post
    1.)I thought they did remember? I can change it though.
    Pretty sure memories of the old life are the exception, not the rule.

2.) I thought hollows did attack? That's why the districts are managed by squads? But no matter, I can revise it.
    The districts aren't "managed by squads". There's likely some patrolling, yes, but I'm very confident the Rukon isn't subject to Hollow attacks except for in the outskirts of Zaraki.

3.) It says in the current character registry that 9th division is captainless. I can change to a different squad.
    I'm not saying it isn't without a Captain (though it does still have a Vice-Captain). I'm saying that, in the game's timeline, it has been 1 month or less since the Captain was promoted to 0 Division.

5.) Ever since he got out of the academy, so about 3 or 4 months. Not enough time to achieve significant results, but he is working.
    Now I'm more confused.

He's 120 years old, he was "fast-tracked" in the Academy...but he just recently graduated?

More than that, despite having graduated so soon, he's a 5th Seat, has Shikai, and has nearly achieved Bankai?

I'd request that that not be the case. It really cheapens the nature of Seated Officers, Shikai, and Bankai.

Why not have him have been in service as a Shinigami for a century? He achieved Shikai a few decades ago, and has been continuing to improve. Why does he need to be a super-recent graduate?

4.) I don't have any ideas on his Shikai yet.
    6.) I'm working on some ideas, but am welcome to suggestions.
    I can't give you suggestions, not really. You need to make a Shikai, and then determine what the "expansion" of it for Bankai is. That's something unique to your character, probably one of the most immediate and visually unique things about him.
    Last edited by KnightDisciple; 2011-09-06 at 09:10 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1387
    Ogre in the Playground

maximus25:

A few notes.

Indeed, one of the unusual things about the Hayashi Noble House is that this doesn't happen with them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

8. - Top - End - #1388

Quote Originally Posted by Terry576 View Post
    Wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute! A 5th seat as a candidate in a division with a VC?

Now lemme break this down for you.

Hollow Attacks In Rukongai: We try to avoid making other divisions look incompetent, even in backstory. Pretty sure some division takes care of Hollows in the Soul Society, or at least patrols.

"Potential": History Tips: Never, ever, ever mention things like 'potential' or 'great destiny' or something. When I look back at places where I did that, I feel a deep sense of shame, because it's a total cop-out. Maybe he was fast-tracked because of the Cold War, and his High Spiritual Pressure meant that he was fast-tracked to a seat?

Similarities: You seem to have written both characters as the same person. Both have a love/hate relationship with fighting, seem calm, and aren't stupid.

Can't use Kido: Okay, that's a bit far. Sure, some incompetence with Kido would be acceptable for a high seated officer, but definitely not a complete inability to use it at all! That's ridiculous! Hell, even Renji's inability to use it was an @#$pull, and made no sense.

Vague: Be more descriptive. Why did he want to be a Shinigami? What does his facial structure look like? Does he wear glasses? Because right now, in my mind, this is your character. He's short, has brown well-cropped hair, and seems pretty fit.

Need a quick review of HECATE's updated things before I attempt to figure out introduction things.

Cause we're on the character review as is.
    I'll edit out the hollow attacks, and the potential.

I realize there are a lot of similarities, and I don't really know why... it's just how I felt they would act.

I'm thinking of making him go to the 11th squad instead. They are okay with no kido. I'm gonna make him a little better, but not terrible like he is now.

I'll be more descriptive.

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Orc in the Playground

If you're looking for Captain potential, 11th is also a bad spot.
    My Homebrew
    Sick props to Akrim.elf for the rockin' Chouko-tar!

BitP: Reborn² characters!
    Madokapunk!

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Please note edit to my last post for more notes.

11. - Top - End - #1391
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    I am so tired I do not remember the names right now.
    I don't want to pester you, but unless you're still deciding on what you want to have happen you might want to make a quick post simply stating whether or not Kina can be found by Sayaka.

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Titan in the Playground

Seems fair enough on the Bankai bit. Just wanted to make sure that was in your mind. And yeah, that was kind of why I brought that distinction up.
    Thanks for the help, KD. I have been itching to develop Taiki a bit more than just "guy who has prejudice and acts like a jerk."

Also, I totally missed that post, I apologize Kasanip.

I am not opposed to 5th Seats being in line for Captaincy. So long as there is a very, very good reason for it. I mean, Aya is a 4th Seat and her promotion is probably going to get pushed at some point. If Taro ever got Bankai he'd probably be pushed for Captaincy. Just off the top of my head.

Normally I would say none of my characters who don't already have Bankai will acquire it in the game, but I sort of already thought up what Reikiku's would be and it's so adorable I have to do it.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

13. - Top - End - #1393

Actually, Terry's right.

The Kido thing likely gets a full pass in 11th.They don't really do Kido there. Other Divisions, it might work.

But I'd think 9th kind of requires it, since it's the Scouting Division.

I would highly recommend you go and read this page if you really want to be in 9th.

EDIT:
    Pretty sure memories of the old life are the exception, not the rule.

The districts aren't "managed by squads". There's likely some patrolling, yes, but I'm very confident the Rukon isn't subject to Hollow attacks except for in the outskirts of Zaraki.

I'm not saying it isn't without a Captain (though it does still have a Vice-Captain). I'm saying that, in the game's timeline, it has been 1 month or less since the Captain was promoted to 0 Division.

Now I'm more confused.

He's 120 years old, he was "fast-tracked" in the Academy...but he just recently graduated?

More than that, despite having graduated so soon, he's a 5th Seat, has Shikai, and has nearly achieved Bankai?

I'd request that that not be the case. It really cheapens the nature of Seated Officers, Shikai, and Bankai.

Why not have him have been in service as a Shinigami for a century? He achieved Shikai a few decades ago, and has been continuing to improve. Why does he need to be a super-recent graduate?

I can't give you suggestions, not really. You need to make a Shikai, and then determine what the "expansion" of it for Bankai is. That's something unique to your character, probably one of the most immediate and visually unique things about him.
    Okay.

He doesn't have to be a recent graduate. I'm working on some shikai ideas.

I made him graduate at 100, so he has had 20 years to work on his bankai. He isn't really close to it at all.

Most of the reason I made him a recent graduate is because if he has been there for a century, what has he been doing?
    Last edited by maximus25; 2011-09-06 at 09:39 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1394

Most of the Shinigami haven't done much. Karite and Seiko both entered the academy around relatively the same time (yay retcons) and entered the academy fairly young.

You do what any Rukongai member did: Survive. It wasn't really an interesting existence, and we haven't seen much of the Rukongai to actually judge and justify anything about it.

15. - Top - End - #1395

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryman View Post
    If you're looking for Captain potential, 11th is also a bad spot.
    Why is this?

16. - Top - End - #1396
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Okay.

He doesn't have to be a recent graduate. I'm working on some shikai ideas.

I made him graduate at 100, so he has had 20 years to work on his bankai. He isn't really close to it at all.

Most of the reason I made him a recent graduate is because if he has been there for a century, what has he been doing?
    What, you're asking what he's been doing in the Gotei 13 for a century? His duties.

I mean, my Captain, Masaru, graduated from the Shinigami Academy 400 years ago (in a time span of 5.5 years, about 6 months less than the "normal" 6 years it takes). It took him 100 years to even make Seated Officer, and he's quite frankly brilliant and talented. It took him another century to make VC, and another 100 years after that to make Captain.

Some of that was the slower, more cautious pace of things in 8th Division. But some of it is the fact that lightning-fast promotions rarely happen.

20 years to go from "fresh Academy graduate" to "5th Seat of a Division with Shikai and some progress on Bankai" is...really really fast.

I'm proposing he entered the academy around age 15-20, graduated 20-25, and has been working his way up ever since.

17. - Top - End - #1397
    Orc in the Playground

Just look at the Commander General, my character. He was actually kind of a slow starter, he entered the academy at 112, then took admittedly a short time of 40 years to be promoted to 5th seat of the 13th. But after that, it was 115 years before his next promotion to 3rd seat of 1st. Then another 120 years. Then another 193 years.

And he's an exceptional individual. Hell, if I may say so, one of the most exceptional. I think I'm allowed.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

18. - Top - End - #1398
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah. Taiki's age is unspecified, but I wager he's 400-500 easily. I mean, he spent at least 150 years of his life working his way up the ranks.

19. - Top - End - #1399

What, you're asking what he's been doing in the Gotei 13 for a century? His duties.

I mean, my Captain, Masaru, graduated from the Shinigami Academy 400 years ago (in a time span of 5.5 years, about 6 months less than the "normal" 6 years it takes). It took him 100 years to even make Seated Officer, and he's quite frankly brilliant and talented. It took him another century to make VC, and another 100 years after that to make Captain.

Some of that was the slower, more cautious pace of things in 8th Division. But some of it is the fact that lightning-fast promotions rarely happen.

20 years to go from "fresh Academy graduate" to "5th Seat of a Division with Shikai and some progress on Bankai" is...really really fast.

I'm proposing he entered the academy around age 15-20, graduated 20-25, and has been working his way up ever since.
    That sounds reasonable. I'm still learning how this stuff works.

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

That sounds reasonable. I'm still learning how this stuff works.
    Then look over various character entries.
    Look at the Bleach wiki.
    Instead of trying to rush out a character, take your time and do proper research, so you know what you're doing when you do it.
    It will make it easier for everyone.

21. - Top - End - #1401
    Orc in the Playground

Why is this?
    I'm pretty positive Yukimura Seiko is gunning for the Captaincy.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

22. - Top - End - #1402
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly, I've come up with ideas just scanning the Bleach Wiki. Do it, it's supremely helpful.

23. - Top - End - #1403

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryman View Post
    I'm pretty positive Yukimura Seiko is gunning for the Captaincy.
    Oh, well then which squad seems reasonable? There seem to be a couple more empty ones.

24. - Top - End - #1404

Alright, I have this idea for a Samsara character. S/he has no combat abilities, no skills with any sort of weaponry, no quick step, no kido, only one thing.

S/he can block any given spiritual being's abilities, as long as they are inside his/her area of control. Maybe have a massive sensing capability. Allow me to stress once again the total lack of combat capabilities. This is the only skill S/he is good at.

Could I legitimately do it? It would be the Samsara defense against outside invasions.
    Last edited by Terry576; 2011-09-06 at 10:15 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Orc in the Playground

Keep in mind that since Shinigami age several times slower than humans (when they do at all), the average Shinigami's career tends to be MUCH longer than the norm.

Admittedly, Kazuma, one of my own characters, is a notable exception (he's a 7th seat who doesn't even break the 100 year threshold, and he's already seriously freaking strong), but then again the division he's in favors strength and loyalty above leadership (up to a certain point, which is why he's unlikely to advance beyond, say, 5th seat) and he was already something of a Zaraki legend before he became a Shinigami (Zaraki is fairly well-known for being a hellish environment that spews out really strong people).

I think Soushi might be the worst offender of really quick ascension through the ranks, but then again, he cheated. Not that the general public would know.
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Oh, well then which squad seems reasonable? There seem to be a couple more empty ones.
    You haven't given us quite enough to say, one way or another. After all, each squad does things a little differently. They each have duties.

What does your character do well?
    What major and minor skills do they posses?
    What sorts of duties would they enjoy undertaking?

Please also keep this in mind: Being a Captain is as much about being responsible for an entire Division of Shinigami (between 200 and 1000 (or more) individuals) as they run through their day-to-day operations. You have to work not only with your Division, but the other Captains and Divisions to make the Gotei 13 a better whole, to protect Soul Society and the Mortal World from Hollows and their ilk. While being a powerful combatant is part of this, that is not the entirety of things.

27. - Top - End - #1407

Alright, looking good now?

I think all I need is a shikai, inner world, spirit, and basic workings on bankai.

Edit:

What does your character do well? He is good at making new friends, or diffusing stressful situations. He is a good swordsman, but that's not saying much in the soul society.

What major and minor skills do they posses? He is an excellent combatant, and a good people person. He isn't very good at kido or hakuda, he can get by.

What sorts of duties would they enjoy undertaking? Anything social or combat oriented.
    Last edited by maximus25; 2011-09-06 at 10:22 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1408
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terry576 View Post
    Alright, I have this idea for a Samsara character. S/he has no combat abilities, no skills with any sort of weaponry, no quick step, no kido, only one thing.

S/he can block any given spiritual being's abilities, as long as they are inside his/her area of control. Maybe have a massive sensing capability. Allow me to stress once again the total lack of combat capabilities. This is the only skill S/he is good at.

Could I legitimately do it? It would be the Samsara defense against outside invasions.
    I... already have plans to make a character that does a very, very similar thing as a Mortal.

By the way, "anything social or combat oriented" is so vague it may as well be "anything." Get specific. Very specific. What do you mean by "excellent combatant"? Do you mean "in one-on-one situations, [Character] is incredibly powerful, but s/he struggles when faced with too many foes" or maybe "[Character] excels in extremely close-quarters combat, but has minimal capabilities at range"? Don't just use vague terms, go deep and dig out the real meaning.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2011-09-06 at 10:32 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1409
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Alright, looking good now?

I think all I need is a shikai, inner world, spirit, and basic workings on bankai.

Edit:

What does your character do well? He is good at making new friends, or diffusing stressful situations. He is a good swordsman, but that's not saying much in the soul society.

What major and minor skills do they posses? He is an excellent combatant, and a good people person. He isn't very good at kido or hakuda, he can get by.

What sorts of duties would they enjoy undertaking? Anything social or combat oriented.
    Those statements are quite vague, unfortunately. Here, let me outline the basics of each Division.

1.)Administration
    2.)Ninja!
    3.)Execution
    4.)Medics
    5.)Communication
    6.)Reserves
    7.)Construction
    8.)Strategy
    9.)Scouts
    10.)Police
    11.)FIGHT!
    12.)!SCIENCE!
    13.)Patrol

Now. You ought to sit back and consider both what sort of specialization fits your character, as well as what Division then embodies that the most.

30. - Top - End - #1410

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    I... already have plans to make a character that does a very, very similar thing as a Mortal.
    I am only moderately annoyed by that.

...Toss you for it.